Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/19/2014 12:16:23 AM EDT
Just as the title states, I'm looking into the possibility of purchasing a mortar and would like to get something a little more modern than the WWII stuff you see for sale around the internet.  Are there any M224s in the registry, and is it available to anyone besides the military from the factory?
Link Posted: 2/20/2014 1:17:35 AM EDT
[#1]
I've seen parts pop up from time to time, but you have to be on top of looking for them and it could be a year before the right part pops up again.  I know there are at least a few in the registry, but they are rare.  Hell, even a simple M2 mortar is pretty rare as far as NFA weapons go.  

There is likely to be a new upstart building M2 mortars at a reasonable price point pretty soon.  I know of one in the works, but have no details more than that.
Link Posted: 2/20/2014 3:33:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I have 0 use for an M2 Mortar - but I'd still be interested.
Link Posted: 2/20/2014 6:24:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

You know, you say that now.  But one day I asked myself, I said "Self, what if had a particular hankering to lob a 3.5lb projectile in excess of one nautical mile?"  

When I realized that with the state of my armory at the time that I'd be shit out of luck, I decided that I absolutely HAD to have one because, hey, you never know.  

Now, I'm the only kid on my block with an artillery piece.  

I had a similar conversation with myself concerning a fragmentation hand grenade.

I have a feeling I'm going to have a nearly identical conversation regarding the procurement of a grenade launcher and flame thrower in the near future.
Link Posted: 2/20/2014 6:37:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

You know, you say that now.  But one day I asked myself, I said "Self, what if had a particular hankering to lob a 3.5lb projectile in excess of one nautical mile?"  

When I realized that with the state of my armory at the time that I'd be shit out of luck, I decided that I absolutely HAD to have one because, hey, you never know.  

I had a similar conversation with myself concerning a fragmentation hand grenade.

I have a feeling I'm going to have a nearly identical conversation regarding the procurement of a grenade launcher and flame thrower in the near future.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I could trigger fire a M2 and it came with lighter baseplate designed to be supported and fired by hand then a M2 would be viable to me.
Link Posted: 2/22/2014 11:22:14 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

View Quote
I kinda went in the reverse and started with flamethrowers, found the historical ones commanded museum prices, and ended up building my own.

Currently fiddling with an under-barrel mounting one (the tricky part being a durable QD attachment to let it use MSR fuel bottles).

40mm will be the next step if I can ever find a form 1 receiver and have enough money on hand at the same time

Link Posted: 2/23/2014 5:09:57 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
If I could trigger fire a M2 and it came with lighter baseplate designed to be supported and fired by hand then a M2 would be viable to me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You know, you say that now. But one day I asked myself, I said "Self, what if had a particular hankering to lob a 3.5lb projectile in excess of one nautical mile?"

A trigger fired variant would be cool indeed.
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 6:42:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You know, you say that now. But one day I asked myself, I said "Self, what if had a particular hankering to lob a 3.5lb projectile in excess of one nautical mile?"

I was tossing around an idea in my head to adapt the M2 mortar into a striker-fired mortar by screwing in an extension into the M2 firing pin well that would contain a striker or would allow a fixed firing pin operation.
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 8:39:10 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I was tossing around an idea in my head to adapt the M2 mortar into a striker-fired mortar by screwing in an extension into the M2 firing pin well that would contain a striker or would allow a fixed firing pin operation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

None of the mortar guys that are around anymore have experience with both the M2 and the M224...not for a long time.  I've been trying to figure out by asking around to people smarter than me due to lack of resident knowledge at work-

The M49A2 and M49A4 rounds can be fired out of the M224, but the newer 60mm rounds cannot be fired out of the M2.  Is this simply because the new 60mm rounds are much longer, and so since the M2 has such a short barrel they wouldn't be able to build up the necessary velocity before leaving the tube?

If so...could one make an M2 with a barrel lengthened to the M224 barrel length, then theoretically shoot all 60mm ammo using M224 TFTs? Would be nice to be able to push the max range out another km...

Link Posted: 2/24/2014 12:09:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
But one day I asked myself, I said "Self, what if had a particular hankering to lob a 3.5lb projectile in excess of one nautical mile?"  
When I realized that with the state of my armory at the time that I'd be shit out of luck.
View Quote

This is great. I should make this my sig.

MAHA
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 12:30:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

None of the mortar guys that are around anymore have experience with both the M2 and the M224...not for a long time.  I've been trying to figure out by asking around to people smarter than me due to lack of resident knowledge at work-

The M49A2 and M49A4 rounds can be fired out of the M224, but the newer 60mm rounds cannot be fired out of the M2.  Is this simply because the new 60mm rounds are much longer, and so since the M2 has such a short barrel they wouldn't be able to build up the necessary velocity before leaving the tube?

If so...could one make an M2 with a barrel lengthened to the M224 barrel length, then theoretically shoot all 60mm ammo using M224 TFTs? Would be nice to be able to push the max range out another km...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

0341 here....

My guess is that you are on the correct track in your thought. The newer rounds use an expansion ring, and the short tube of the M2 would make it so all your data would be of no use. The M2 does not have a long enough tube for the expansion ring to do it's job before the round has left the bore.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 8:02:46 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
0341 here....

My guess is that you are on the correct track in your thought. The newer rounds use an expansion ring, and the short tube of the M2 would make it so all your data would be of no use. The M2 does not have a long enough tube for the expansion ring to do it's job before the round has left the bore.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

None of the mortar guys that are around anymore have experience with both the M2 and the M224...not for a long time. I've been trying to figure out by asking around to people smarter than me due to lack of resident knowledge at work-

The M49A2 and M49A4 rounds can be fired out of the M224, but the newer 60mm rounds cannot be fired out of the M2. Is this simply because the new 60mm rounds are much longer, and so since the M2 has such a short barrel they wouldn't be able to build up the necessary velocity before leaving the tube?

0341 here....

Right.  So we are on the same train of thought.  The only 0341s I have working for me right now are FAPs...so I figured they might not be the best and brightest.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 7:51:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would be awesome from a portability aspect, Id like to be able to fire like this...

Link Posted: 2/25/2014 1:27:45 PM EDT
[#13]
so is anyone making new mortars?

Link Posted: 2/25/2014 9:59:29 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote

Rumor has been floating around that there is a certain board member from ARFCOM that has such a production project in the works.
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 9:28:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Rumor has been floating around that there is a certain board member from ARFCOM that has such a production project in the works.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Former 11C here. So tagging this now. Hell I'd be happy with a demilled.
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 4:20:31 PM EDT
[#16]
i know where a demilled one is

but usually the tube is drilled and rods welded and the cup, who knows

A new one would save a lot of us from a bunch of headaches
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 5:06:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Where!!!!

Seriously...

Where though.
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 7:21:51 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View Quote

If you can tell me where the demil one is, I can pass it along to the guy who is trying to copy them.  I know he is looking for some parts still to take measurements from.

Is it an M2 or M224 you are talking about?
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 8:27:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Would be hugely interested and have a full CNC shop. I would love an M224.
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 8:29:55 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Would be hugely interested and have a full CNC shop. I would love an M224.
View Quote

He knew of a demil M29 81mm...not a beloved 60mm.
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 8:38:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Hmm would still be interested depending on how much is with the De-Mill
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 12:53:53 AM EDT
[#22]
I have designs for spotting charge rounds for the 60mm.  I just lack the ability to produce them.  I also have an inert but otherwise complete M49 fuze but lack the capability or expertise to CAD model and CNC reproduce it.

I also have engineering drawings for an M2 cup
Link Posted: 3/14/2014 9:11:55 AM EDT
[#23]
FWIW, Cobb Hill Firearms manufactured fifty M2 mortars in 2003.  Though the design is WWII vintage not all NFA registered M2 mortars are ancient in age.
Link Posted: 3/14/2014 9:47:34 AM EDT
[#24]
As a former originator of some High Angle Hell I would be interested in
one also...for my collection you know.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 2:51:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That would be awesome from a portability aspect, Id like to be able to fire like this...

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l189/KORNET-E/1-33.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l189/KORNET-E/1-33.jpg

Or like this...

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:25:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Call me Old School, I like mortars firmly planted. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWeNXHn_qQ8
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:22:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Call me Old School, I like mortars firmly planted. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWeNXHn_qQ8
View Quote

But aren't you trying to get out of the 60mm business?
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:31:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand what you're asking but for the sake of those that don't know me, I'm not in the firearms business.  I plan to retire in the near future so some things need to go to a good home.  Not advertising mods, just don't want folks to think I'm a FFL.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:45:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I understand what you're asking but for the sake of those that don't know me, I'm not in the firearms business.  I plan to retire in the near future so some things need to go to a good home.  Not advertising mods, just don't want folks to think I'm a FFL.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry, poor wording on my part.  I just saw your piece up for sale and it caught my eye.  You don't see too many of the 60mm DD's for sale.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 8:18:48 AM EDT
[#30]
No problem, all is good.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 8:22:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Just finished mine and have another for sale. The m224 is definitely the Cadillac of mortars. Here is a link to my build thread with finished pictures and videos.
Thanks,
Ben Radcliff
[email protected]
http://1919a4.com/showthread.php?33082-M224-60mm-mortar-build/page5
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 3:15:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Just finished mine and have another for sale. The m224 is definitely the Cadillac of mortars. Here is a link to my build thread with finished pictures and videos.
Thanks,
Ben Radcliff
[email protected]
http://1919a4.com/showthread.php?33082-M224-60mm-mortar-build/page5
View Quote

Ben it looks AWESOME  the Slo-mo on the video is a nice touch.  Question for you, is there a source for the plugs that screw into the base of the practice rounds that holds the firing pin??  I bought a couple of those but the plugs were missing
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 3:34:08 PM EDT
[#33]
I made up a bunch for myself because I had run into the same problem. The blue trainer rounds are really fun to shoot and can be reloaded very easily and inexpensively.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 4:34:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I made up a bunch for myself because I had run into the same problem. The blue trainer rounds are really fun to shoot and can be reloaded very easily and inexpensively.
View Quote

When I get out of here (No NFA in the PRNJ) i'll have to reach out and get the specs for those from you.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 10:29:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a chamber pressure issue, when the new series of ammo first came out, some of the rounds were authorized for use in the M2/M19, but limited to Charge 2.   This warning was painted on the round near the fuze.  As the M224 become more widely fielded the restriction was changed to not allow firing in the M2/M19
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 2:57:13 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
It's a chamber pressure issue, when the new series of ammo first came out, some of the rounds were authorized for use in the M2/M19, but limited to Charge 2. This warning was painted on the round near the fuze. As the M224 become more widely fielded the restriction was changed to not allow firing in the M2/M19
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

None of the mortar guys that are around anymore have experience with both the M2 and the M224...not for a long time. I've been trying to figure out by asking around to people smarter than me due to lack of resident knowledge at work-

The M49A2 and M49A4 rounds can be fired out of the M224, but the newer 60mm rounds cannot be fired out of the M2. Is this simply because the new 60mm rounds are much longer, and so since the M2 has such a short barrel they wouldn't be able to build up the necessary velocity before leaving the tube?

It's a chamber pressure issue, when the new series of ammo first came out, some of the rounds were authorized for use in the M2/M19, but limited to Charge 2. This warning was painted on the round near the fuze. As the M224 become more widely fielded the restriction was changed to not allow firing in the M2/M19

I actually did finally find all this- apparently the Marine Corps still does technically authorize use of the new series ammo in the M2/M19 legacy systems, though I am not sure where we could even remotely possibly have any at this point.  Charge 2 max in training, charge 3 in combat.
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 4:38:54 PM EDT
[#37]
I realize this is a bit old but for those who think there is no hand held version of the M2 you need to look at the commando baseplate which is a small lighter baseplate intended specifically for the M2 or M19 trigger fired mortars to be hand held. The M19 uses a trigger and fits the same tube as the M2 setup but with a different cup that has the trigger mechanism. We fire our M2 mortars for fun and they are great fun indeed. Mine is a KVS engineering cup on a tube I built and my friend has a firestone cup with another tube I built. I dealt with a number of the cobb hill (Pete Prendergast) mortars and he did a pretty sad job on the tubes. He used a standard size bore in the tube rather than what was called for on the drawings and specs. The guns work but only if you file or grind off the little projections on the fins of the bombs. His bore is about20 thousandths of an inch too small. Loading for the mortar is pretty simple and its possible to make increment charges too if you really feel a need to lose the bombs you paid so much for. Launching with just charge one is good for a couple hundred yards and keeping track of the bomb can be tough. For the military its no big deal they just buy more. We have to pay for them ourselves so at $20 plus its a big deal. We've launched a couple practice bombs more than 500yds and lost one. Normally we shoot about 100yds or so and keep them in the front yard. Great toy for picnics and parties.

Frank
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 8:29:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I realize this is a bit old but for those who think there is no hand held version of the M2 you need to look at the commando baseplate which is a small lighter baseplate intended specifically for the M2 or M19 trigger fired mortars to be hand held. The M19 uses a trigger and fits the same tube as the M2 setup but with a different cup that has the trigger mechanism. We fire our M2 mortars for fun and they are great fun indeed. Mine is a KVS engineering cup on a tube I built and my friend has a firestone cup with another tube I built. I dealt with a number of the cobb hill (Pete Prendergast) mortars and he did a pretty sad job on the tubes. He used a standard size bore in the tube rather than what was called for on the drawings and specs. The guns work but only if you file or grind off the little projections on the fins of the bombs. His bore is about20 thousandths of an inch too small. Loading for the mortar is pretty simple and its possible to make increment charges too if you really feel a need to lose the bombs you paid so much for. Launching with just charge one is good for a couple hundred yards and keeping track of the bomb can be tough. For the military its no big deal they just buy more. We have to pay for them ourselves so at $20 plus its a big deal. We've launched a couple practice bombs more than 500yds and lost one. Normally we shoot about 100yds or so and keep them in the front yard. Great toy for picnics and parties.

Frank
View Quote

Hey Frank, welcome to the board.  I have one of those Cobb Hill barrels and need to have it opened up a bit because, like you said, it is way too snug.  I need to get back to working on my design for modular fin assemblies and dummy projos, but I'm out of town working an extended TDY assignment at the moment.  

ETA: What part of the country are you in?
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 10:12:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Hey Frank, welcome to the board.  I have one of those Cobb Hill barrels and need to have it opened up a bit because, like you said, it is way too snug.  I need to get back to working on my design for modular fin assemblies and dummy projos, but I'm out of town working an extended TDY assignment at the moment.  

ETA: What part of the country are you in?

Hi Wingnut.....I've actually been here a while but for some reason my post count is really low....thanks for the welcome though.
I'm in eastern Indiana and for the tubes I made I had a friend hone them to the proper diameter. He had a hydraulic repair shop but no longer does this sort of work. The tube Pete used was 2.375" bore DOM tube and the spec from the military is 2.390" to 2.411". I bought oversize OD tube and turned the outside to the proper dimensions and thread then had my friend hone the bore to 2.391".  So basic answer here is that I don't think I can help you with the work but you might check your area when you get home and see if any of the hydraulic cylinder shops can help out. I know my gun and my buddies work really well,  all the standard practice and inert HE bombs fit and function well. No need to grind the nubbies down.

Frank

Link Posted: 6/5/2015 10:59:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Sorry,

out of my lane, and probably irrelevant, but I found this looking for some delay fuzes. Maybe if you have trouble building a full up version, building a trainer insert might be easier?
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 11:10:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Sorry,

out of my lane, and probably irrelevant, but I found this looking for some delay fuzes. Maybe if you have trouble building a full up version, building a trainer insert might be easier?
View Quote

That setup is a subcal kit designed to fit inside the 60mm, 81mm or 4.2in mortar for practice and training. Its not really little mortar though I believe its possible to fire without a mortar tube. It uses .22 cal blanks to launch the 22mm mortar bombs and a black powder .22 blank in the nose to leave a puff of smoke and a pop when it hits. The cute little bomb has a means of setting a vent to allow simulation of the increment charges used on the full size bombs. I've got one of those for my M2 and it works very well. You can have a mortar shoot in the back yard with one of these.

Frank
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:16:07 PM EDT
[#42]
There's one in the wild for sure!  This unit I used to bong to had a 60mm go missing, just doing battalion site count and...... It's not there!

Mix up in chain of custody so no one was able to get burned for it and the thing never showed up.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 5:15:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 5:28:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 5:47:17 PM EDT
[#45]

That's awesome.  I'd be happy with a demilled.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 6:29:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 9:44:33 AM EDT
[#47]

$23,500 of awesome.

Think i would rather have a MG at that price but still cool.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 12:00:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

$23,500 of awesome.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

$23,500 of awesome.

Yup.  Now if we could get some chalk type inert rounds and cheese charges it would be way more fun....  Otherwise...
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 2:04:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Yup.  Now if we could get some chalk type inert rounds and cheese charges it would be way more fun....  Otherwise...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

$23,500 of awesome.

The old four deuce mortar had a sub-caliber pneumatic training insert.  I wonder if the 60mm did too.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 7:23:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

The old four deuce mortar had a sub-caliber pneumatic training insert.  I wonder if the 60mm did too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

$23,500 of awesome.

The Subcal kits i've seen are usually set for Multiple Caliber hosts  60mm, 80mm, and 4.2

This
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top