Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/1/2014 3:37:55 AM EDT
Is it safe to fire 37mm Smoke/flare/gas rounds from a 40mm?
Just curious
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 8:40:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, if you can get the casings to center, and the barrel to close. A few wraps of electrical tape will help. Some 37MM casings have thick rims that won't work in 40MM launchers. GROG
Link Posted: 2/7/2014 4:03:14 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm glad you saw that, and thanks for the information. Reason being is most of the 37mm's on the market (that i have found so far)
will not chamber an 8", eg. the spikes are for 5 3/4". Only a break-top launcher would work, and the only one i have seen
is either a B&D, or an older fedlab/s&w gas-gun on gunbroker.

any advice as to my best bet? just get an older gas gun? only reason i'm hesitant there is the issue with barrel erosion.
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 7:45:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I recently registered a B&D EX-D launcher as  a DD, and I wouldn't have done that if it was a cheap launcher. They, as well as the old S&W type, are good products made to last, and handle any 37MM round on the market, as well as the new ones from Reloadableshells that kick harder. As long as you clean it well after firing black powder casings, there should be no bad erosion in the barrel. I know B&D launchers are warranted for life, and they have fantastic customer service. Each launcher is hand made in their shop, and it is a small business, so they put time into each launcher they produce. I've heard of only a few customer issues with launchers, and those were resolved very quickly and at no cost to the buyer. Hope this helps, GROG
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 9:16:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I recently registered a B&D EX-D launcher as  a DD, and I wouldn't have done that if it was a cheap launcher. They, as well as the old S&W type, are good products made to last, and handle any 37MM round on the market, as well as the new ones from Reloadableshells that kick harder. As long as you clean it well after firing black powder casings, there should be no bad erosion in the barrel. I know B&D launchers are warranted for life, and they have fantastic customer service. Each launcher is hand made in their shop, and it is a small business, so they put time into each launcher they produce. I've heard of only a few customer issues with launchers, and those were resolved very quickly and at no cost to the buyer. Hope this helps, GROG
View Quote

Can you check the chamber on your B&D factory 37mm and let me know the length? The issue i'm having is all the commercial launchers i have found so far have a 5 3/4" chamber, and i need one with an 8" chamber. Thanks again grog.
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 12:40:55 PM EDT
[#5]
The B&D launchers do not have a "milled" chamber in them. The ID of the barrel goes all the way through the launcher barrel, so no step to prohibit longer rounds. I recommended this when I spoke with George Bates, when he was designing the launcher, in order to allow customers to use any length casing in his launchers. The S&W does have a chamber, so you would be limited with those barrels.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 1:54:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Excellent. I was worried i would have to chuck up the barrel in a lathe and bore out the chamber longer to fit the 8" rounds. Guess the B&D will be the solution, unless i find a cheaper S&W or FL gas gun in the next week or so, as these already have an 8" chamber. thanks again grog!
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 1:19:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Not a problem Bro. We like videos!! GROG
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top