Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 9/20/2013 8:33:59 PM EDT
To those of you familiar with my efforts, I wanted to find out if I would be able to build a fully-functional anti-personnel hand grenade.  There was much wailing and gnashing of teeth by folks saying that there was no way t he ATF would approve the construction of this explosive destructive device.  I even went so far as to document the proposed building of the grenade.  That thread was locked and my documentation moved to another forum.

But, thanks to an anonymous benefactor that ponied up the money for the tax stamp and a long wait, my Form 1 for an XM-67A1 fragmentation hand grenade has been approved.

I will post a scan of the approved form 1 as soon as I get it in my hands.

ETA:  I won't be discussing the technical aspects of this project.  This is just more of a gloating "I told you so" type thread.  I'll end up posting pictures of the finished product when I'm done with it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 8:36:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Why wouldn't the ATF approved it?  You payed the tax after all, not any different from any other DD.
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 8:42:28 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Why wouldn't the ATF approved it?  You payed the tax after all, not any different from any other DD.
View Quote
Probably because an individual wants to make  a hand grenade and not a company.

Link Posted: 9/20/2013 8:43:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I believe the ATF would issue a stamp.  My main concern would be them going back on the approval for some reason then arresting you.  Good luck I hope it tuns out good.
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 8:45:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Are you planning on using gun powder or another type of explosive?
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 8:46:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Interesting. Tag.
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 8:46:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Congrats!  Good luck with the build.

The big question is will you blow it up or store it?
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 8:47:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 8:50:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Sweet!!! I remember the last thread...  Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 8:53:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 9:39:40 PM EDT
[#10]
tag!
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 10:11:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Kinda cool you got the ok... but still a waist of money for something that only goes bang once.
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 10:51:25 PM EDT
[#12]
You could say the same about anything that is single use, like 9mm, 45acp, 40mm flares and so on. (Trust me, my wife has made the same argument you have)
It's all about turning money into smoke and noise for entertainment.

I think it's cool that you have done this.  As to the worry about them changing their mind and arresting you, I don't see that happen.

WORST case scenario is that they come back and ask to take possession of the grenade.  You followed the rules which makes it 100% legal.

I vote that you have to detonate it.....and record it!
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 11:02:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Let's not get this thread locked.
Quoted:

He'd need a magazine to store it in, which would be pretty annoying.
Link Posted: 9/21/2013 6:35:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Congrats, OP.  Some things are worth doing, money be damned.
Link Posted: 9/21/2013 7:13:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Nice!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/21/2013 8:07:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

no, he needs a magazine if he wants to store it with a live detonator and explosives. depending on how detonation is achieved and what explosive is used. he could in theory keep the components separated and then assemble before use without the need for a magazine.
Link Posted: 9/21/2013 9:24:37 AM EDT
[#17]
I was wondering about this, and may copy.
Link Posted: 9/21/2013 9:27:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Tag
Link Posted: 9/21/2013 11:01:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
no, he needs a magazine if he wants to store it with a live detonator and explosives. depending on how detonation is achieved and what explosive is used. he could in theory keep the components separated and then assemble before use without the need for a magazine.
View Quote

Someone gets it!  Bingo!

Link Posted: 9/21/2013 5:19:01 PM EDT
[#20]
what exactly is a magazine for a grenade? just something to contain it ,if it does go off? and we all need some pics homie...
Link Posted: 9/21/2013 6:24:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
what exactly is a magazine for a grenade? just something to contain it ,if it does go off? and we all need some pics homie...
View Quote

"magazine" = explosive storage container.
Link Posted: 9/21/2013 6:29:49 PM EDT
[#22]
ok thats what i thought
Link Posted: 9/21/2013 6:31:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Tagged.

Just like the last one.
Link Posted: 9/21/2013 6:50:07 PM EDT
[#24]
This thread is Freedom Approved.

ETA- except for that whole having to jump through beuracratic hurdles in order to do something with your own money that is supposedly protected by our nation's founding document.
Link Posted: 9/21/2013 8:44:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
This thread is Freedom Approved.

ETA- except for that whole having to jump through beuracratic hurdles in order to do something with your own money that is supposedly protected by our nation's founding document.
View Quote

I agree completely, but let's not lose sight of what's been accomplished here.  I'm gonna have a grenade!
Link Posted: 9/21/2013 9:57:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/21/2013 10:44:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Good job. It didn't seem that long ago that you sent in the Form 1. How long did it take for approval?
Link Posted: 9/21/2013 11:56:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Good job. It didn't seem that long ago that you sent in the Form 1. How long did it take for approval?
View Quote

I signed the Form 1 on 27 January.  I think it went pending mid March.  I had it kicked back once to supply drawings.
Link Posted: 9/22/2013 11:48:47 AM EDT
[#29]
thats awesome

did you get you grenade body design figured out? (no need for a technical answer, just a yes/no is fine. i dont want your thread locked because of tech stuff)
Link Posted: 9/22/2013 12:37:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
thats awesome

did you get you grenade body design figured out? (no need for a technical answer, just a yes/no is fine. i dont want your thread locked because of tech stuff)
View Quote

I have a few ways I'm going to try to build one, but I halted all design efforts until I had the stamp in hand.  I'm going to start looking at epoxy, thermoplastics, 3d printing, and other methods.  The build details will be posted in the other location.
Link Posted: 9/22/2013 1:26:36 PM EDT
[#31]
did you have to assign it a serial number?
Link Posted: 9/22/2013 1:42:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
did you have to assign it a serial number?
View Quote

Yes I did.  The serial number I assigned it is WINGNUT87.
Link Posted: 9/22/2013 2:01:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Well, lead the way. Interesting build.
Link Posted: 9/22/2013 2:37:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Outstanding!  You do get the most expensive reloading project per round award.  Enjoy your gloat, sir, it is well deserved.
Link Posted: 9/22/2013 9:07:38 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm curious is the stamp for just the1 grenade  or can you rebuild after you blow it up using replacement parts and serial #
Link Posted: 9/22/2013 11:32:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Couldn't you get a blasting license and make as many as you like with ready components?  (I know jack about explosives, except I'd put out more than my eye with the damned things)
Link Posted: 9/22/2013 11:45:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Couldn't you get a blasting license and make as many as you like with ready components?  (I know jack about explosives, except I'd put out more than my eye with the damned things)
View Quote

explosives, yes. anti-personnel devices, no.
Link Posted: 9/22/2013 11:52:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I have a few ways I'm going to try to build one, but I halted all design efforts until I had the stamp in hand.  I'm going to start looking at epoxy, thermoplastics, 3d printing, and other methods.  The build details will be posted in the other location.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
thats awesome

Team or a new thread?
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 1:22:15 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Team or a new thread?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
thats awesome

Team or a new thread?

New thread on another board.  Had to take the discussion elsewhere because it got too detailed for the appetite of the management here.  I respect their decision, but I won't hold back details from a perfectly legal build.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 1:25:26 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

New thread on another board.  Had to take the discussion elsewhere because it got too detailed for the appetite of the management here.  I respect their decision, but I won't hold back details from a perfectly legal build.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
thats awesome

Team or a new thread?

is all i have to say arfcom
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 6:21:05 AM EDT
[#41]
Cool, man, glad the design worked out. Really cool.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 3:14:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Can I get a hint as to where the other thread might be located?
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 3:43:18 PM EDT
[#43]
+1.  I'm interested as well.
PM me if necessary
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 3:49:52 PM EDT
[#44]
+1 I want to follow this.

So since you are the builder/manufacturer if you blow it up can you rebuild it with the same serial #?
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 3:52:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Please IM me the link to the thread.  This is history!

ETA:  Why can't this be posted in team, or in the DD Subforum in the NFA Forum?
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 4:50:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Please IM me the link to the thread.  This is history!

ETA:  Why can't this be posted in team, or in the DD Subforum in the NFA Forum?
View Quote

The original thread was locked in the DD subforum.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 8:28:17 PM EDT
[#47]
When you follow this thread and build, all I ask is you remember you are in someone else's house, with their rules. Thanks all, GROG
Link Posted: 9/24/2013 12:08:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
+1 I want to follow this.

So since you are the builder/manufacturer if you blow it up can you rebuild it with the same serial #?
View Quote

This.?  Serial # on the spoon, or is that too obvious?  : )
Link Posted: 9/24/2013 1:07:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Subbed I really want to follow this. Send a PM with the new forum link if you can. Lastly I am curious about the whole serial # part.
Link Posted: 9/24/2013 1:11:46 PM EDT
[#50]
You could take a deactivated grenade, drill and tap the hole in the bottom for a pipe threaded plug, weld said plug in place and then work on getting the head of the grenade to work with a rebuild kit or something.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top