Previous Page
Page:  / 6
Author
Posted: 8/9/2013 7:22:55 AM EST
Well it is time for another project, some of you may have seen my M249 project from last year posted in the FN section of the armory, I am bored again so I will be spending a lot of time, and money most likely, on a scratch built M203. I will be building the receiver from mil-spec plans with some minor modifications as a title 1 weapon, the sending off the registration as a DD prior to full assembly and testing. It should be an interesting build. I am, as always, open to ideas, suggestions, great stories and of course sources of parts. I will answer the first question I always get in advance. Why build an M203 when I can just file the paperwork, send a check and order one from LMT or one of the other fine Gov't contract suppliers. Because I am about "the build"! I have time, tools and "I think" the know how to pull this off. Posting of progress and pictures to come. Wish me luck.
squirrelslayer1
Collector of shoulder things that go up.
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/9/2013 7:48:51 AM EST
Welcome back. Tag for your machining skills.
grog18b
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/9/2013 2:24:01 PM EST
Sounds likea awesome project. Good luck. Sarco has some parts, and there are other places if you get stuck on a part, let me know. I built my own M79, and it was a to get cool project to get into. I also build ARs from 80% which keeps me busy. My next project is a 45 cal lower that uses grease gun mags. Looking forward to the photos, GROG
rncbinc
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/9/2013 8:10:34 PM EST
Thanks, looks like it will be a scavenger hunt for most parts...others I will just make if I can't find them. Too bad I missed the boat on a 0% forging and parts kit a few years back. Oh well, I'm sure it will be a fun ride either way. BTW I love your web site, once my piece is up and running I will look forward to your reloading CD's, they get lots of great reviews.
jrpett
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/12/2013 5:49:40 PM EST
I remember that M249 thread. That was awesome. You should hang out in the WI HTF forum and bring that M249 out to one of our shoots. I'd love to try that out.
rncbinc
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/16/2013 11:21:58 AM EST
Update: All the parts are ordered and on the way baring any issues I should have the basic 3D Cad drawings done by end of next week. I am going to farm out the bulk work, like an 80% receiver, to my CNC guy. After looking at how much material there was to remove for a billet receiver I decided that would be the best course to take unless I find a 0% forging out there. I may have him make more than one "paper weight" just in case I screw up on the internals....which has been known to happen from time to time.

Thanks for the invite the WI group, send me a link. I normally attend the Class 3 shoots at my local club near Racine WI(Club Bylaws prevent me from posting it's name on web) I have missed the last one due to a recent back surgery and the replacement cost of ammo is a bit high. I will wait till the "Panic" settles down.
rncbinc
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/21/2013 2:42:03 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/23/2013 7:51:19 PM EST by rncbinc]
[span style='font-size: 10pt;']Update: 3D went out to one CAD guy today for once over and pricing. Here are a few simple pictures to get an idea of what has been done so far. Most of the bulk work is done. Finishing all the T-slots, pin holes and other cuts should be a fun day in the shop.[

schaz42
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/21/2013 9:38:00 PM EST
An 80% M203 receiver? Depending on price I'd be down for at least two of these, I've always wanted to do this as well but my machining access is very limited. However if the harder cuts were part of the 80% process, the bolt face for example, and the longer cuts so that all that's left could be finished on a mini-mill would be perfect!! Let me know how your progress goes, and good luck!!

Will
eodinert
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/22/2013 8:13:39 AM EST
Tag for badassery.
ORMilitia
Freedom First
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/22/2013 8:31:15 AM EST
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By eodinert:
Tag for badassery.

Me too!
The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else.
rncbinc
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/22/2013 7:26:17 PM EST
I plan on having at least 2 done if the CNC works out to be cost effective. One for my project...and one to send to ATF for inspection and designation as firearm or non-firearm. I have also just picked up a 0% M203 forging to play with in the shop, once my back mends up enough to get out of the house.
schaz42
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/22/2013 9:09:28 PM EST
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By rncbinc:
I plan on having at least 2 done if the CNC works out to be cost effective. One for my project...and one to send to ATF for inspection and designation as firearm or non-firearm. I have also just picked up a 0% M203 forging to play with in the shop, once my back mends up enough to get out of the house.

Where did you get the 0%? I've looked all over for one of those with no luck. I hope you get an answer quick from ATF, I'm very interested in how this progresses. Also are you sending in a 80% to ATF?

Will
rncbinc
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/23/2013 2:59:55 PM EST
I got the 0% forging off of Gunbroker.com, they come up from time to time. I just grabbed it on a "Buy It Now" for $195 shipped. I know, expensive paper weight until I am done machining it. Yes, one of the finished 80% CNC receivers will be sent to ATF for a determination. There may be some interest depending on the price point...if they can be sold without FFL.
schaz42
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/23/2013 8:26:02 PM EST
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By rncbinc:
I got the 0% forging off of Gunbroker.com, they come up from time to time. I just grabbed it on a "Buy It Now" for $195 shipped. I know, expensive paper weight until I am done machining it. Yes, one of the finished 80% CNC receivers will be sent to ATF for a determination. There may be some interest depending on the price point...if they can be sold without FFL.

No way!! i've been looking for ages and haven't come across anything, perhaps its because you snagged it before I saw it Anyway I hope you hear good, no great news from the ATF on the 80%. I'm definitely on board for this, with member braceman doing custom engraving, perhaps I too one day can have a Vietnam era AAI M203!!

Will
rncbinc
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/23/2013 9:53:30 PM EST
I am an auction stalker when I am on the hunt for parts. I check all the big ones at least 5 times a day for new items. It had one bid on it but the BIN was only $30 more than the start bid so I jumped on it. I figure the whole deal is going to be about 2K anyway, with the ammo reload parts I bought, so what's another $30.
rncbinc
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/24/2013 12:55:06 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/23/2013 7:52:20 PM EST by rncbinc]
Hello All,

Maybe you can help me with one of the dimensions on the print for the M203. I have attached a reference picture. The distance listed for the front mount screw holes is "10.25" and it looks hand drawn. That would put it at "0.600" from the front face of the receiver. When drawn to this specification the hole looks like it is in the wrong place? I can find no other reference on the prints. I am guessing the specification is wrong and should be "10.555" not "10.25" Anyone out there have any idea what the mil-spec is?

home_alone1
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/24/2013 3:04:48 PM EST
Is there any way you could make 37mm m203 barrels?
Some fancy diploma doesn't make me a Doctor...... The cloths do whoop whoop whoop whoop whoop- Dr. Zoidberg
rncbinc
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/24/2013 3:42:21 PM EST
I could reverse engineer something from a 40mm rifled to a 37mm smooth bore. They would be very expensive to CNC from a solid piece but anything is possible. Maybe start with an aluminum tube T6 6061 close to 37mm ID and 2.5 OD or what ever the rail takes and go from there. I know Mr.40mm used to make them but he is retired and I don't know if he handed the business on to any one.
grog18b
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/26/2013 7:11:43 PM EST
Randy Shivak already makes 37mm M203 barrels. $300 last time I checked. GROG
rncbinc
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/27/2013 10:21:47 AM EST
Ok, a helpful brother in arms measured his receivers and the "10.25" is correct. The hole is approximately 0.300 from the face of the receiver, which is where I expected it would be so the print has a bad spec somewhere. If anyone else has the real deal, can you measure the overall length? Accuracy to "0.000" would be best. "11.690 +/- .030" is listed on all the prints I can find, but that does not add up with what we have found so far. Thanks in advance.
home_alone1
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/28/2013 11:01:40 PM EST
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By grog18b:

Isn't randy retired ?
Some fancy diploma doesn't make me a Doctor...... The cloths do whoop whoop whoop whoop whoop- Dr. Zoidberg
rncbinc
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/29/2013 4:17:48 PM EST
Yes, Randy is retired.

Well it looks like the scavenger hunt took less time than expected. The forging and all the parts are here as well as reload components for 25 practice rounds, except for the 38 cal. blanks which I am in no hurry on as I can't barrel this puppy until I get the stamp back from ATF.

I am still waiting to hear back on the CNC side of this project and I will update everyone who expressed interest in an 80% receiver.

The forging is very solid, a little corrosion from storage but no major pitting or voids to fill. As I have never done one of these before, I have no idea where to start or index off of. As you can see from the pictures most of the top detail is done and the barrel latch pin location is clear. I also noted the trigger guard pin location is fairly easy to locate off of too. I think by next week I will get into the shop for a few hours and clean up the flashing from the edges from the forging process, then square the receiver face line "N" to the rail line "L" Once all that is done I can square the rear face and front face of the forging to the proper length. The total overall length still concerns me, with the error on the print, but I will match the forging to a real M4 at work before I do the final cuts.

I have to think of the best order to do the cutting and I think I might have it engraved first once I have it cleaned up an true to square. Anyway, I am open for comments and suggestions as always. Enjoy the pictures. Oh I almost forgot. Project budget is $1500, right now I am at $1078.09 including ammo!

grog18b
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/30/2013 6:40:58 PM EST
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By home_alone1:
Originally Posted By grog18b:

Isn't randy retired ?

I am retired too... We ain't dead yet...

The OAL is 11.700 measured from the very rear of the receiver (flat rear portion) to the very front.
It is 10.500 measured from the flat in front of where it goes into your AR nut (flat portion) to the front. GROG
rncbinc
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/30/2013 9:13:39 PM EST
Thanks for the measurements Grog, I looks like the numbers are right on the drawing then...just the reference point is drawn incorrectly. It is over 40 year old drawing, LOL it is bound to have a few errors. Normally these are noted in the QA but I don't have a copy. I will keep an eye out for one of Randy's barrels to come up on Gun Broker or I will just mill one myself while I am waiting for my tax stamp. Last one I sent for took 9 months.
notserp13
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/31/2013 11:17:21 PM EST
He, ive been following your m203 build and wanted to let you know if you need any 38 blanks or cases let me kno2. I have thousands of once fired that ive cleaned and sorted out the best of
rncbinc
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/1/2013 12:52:51 PM EST
Thanks, I do need 38 blanks with the M9 load. I can always use more cases too. Shoot me an email at RNCBINC@msn.com with some pictures and prices please.
  Previous Page
Page:  / 6