Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 12:21:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OST for SURE!
View Quote

Hey, one of Capt. Partridge's finest.  If you're ever out in Vegas, look me up.  NU MSIA '13
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 12:25:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Hey, one of Capt. Partridge's finest.  If you're ever out in Vegas, look me up.  NU MSIA '13
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OST for SURE!

sounds good!

I should have swapped to MSIA when they first started it
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 5:29:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

.......I'd hate for something to happen to you, with me sitting here able to prevent it.

Curiously, none of your projos seem to have an obturating ring. Why is that? You'd get more velocity that way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just a thought from an ex - Mortarman.

Please learn how to safely fire a mortar. The way you're doing it is not safe, and could lead to you sending a hand downrange.

YouTube has tons of videos showing 11Chucks doing their thing. Emulate them. They do it that way for a reason. I can give you some pointers if you like.

Watching that video literally made my asshole pucker so hard, I almost got sucked into a vortex.

I've had a couple people mention that.  I was a commo guy, so all I had to go off of was the WWII manuals for the thing before safety was a real concern.  I now know that gloves are a no-no.  Watches, rings, and jewelry were already removed and I was wearing ballistic eyewear, KPOT, and body armor.  I think I will switch to foamy earplugs from now on though.  

What else should I consider as far as safety?

.......I'd hate for something to happen to you, with me sitting here able to prevent it.

Curiously, none of your projos seem to have an obturating ring. Why is that? You'd get more velocity that way.

He's using one of those aluminum beer bottles. There's not enough material present to machine a groove in there to hold an obturating ring.
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 6:21:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
He's using one of those aluminum beer bottles. There's not enough material present to machine a groove in there to hold an obturating ring.
View Quote

I do recognize that, but there has to be something better than an aluminum beer bottle. I'll do some research, and see what i come up with.
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 7:43:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I do recognize that, but there has to be something better than an aluminum beer bottle. I'll do some research, and see what i come up with.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh there's definitely a better solution for dummy projectiles.  

However, it costs approx.:

Beer bottle (Full) $1.00
Hex Nut               $.50
Billiard Ball          $1.50
Concrete or Plaster   $.50
Sealant/Adhesive      $.25

Total                      ~$3.75

The cheapest I can get M69 dummy projos is ~$25 plus shipping each.  So, a beer bottle is not ideal, but it is functional.

Now, this won't be my last attempt at creating decent projectiles.  I have an idea to machine some Delrin or other clear plastic into a projectile so I can place a chem light in it to make a tracer.
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 8:01:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Oh so tagged.
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 8:49:07 PM EDT
[#7]
IM sent to the OP
Link Posted: 12/25/2013 12:24:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Any updates?
Link Posted: 12/28/2013 5:38:50 PM EDT
[#9]
OST
Link Posted: 12/29/2013 2:11:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Tag for updates!
Link Posted: 12/29/2013 3:27:23 PM EDT
[#11]
As far as camera round updates, I need to buy a small ruggedized HD camera as the ones I have likely won't work.  This particular project has taken a back burner to my hand grenade project over on Grog's board.  I'll probably update next time I can take the mortar out.
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 2:11:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Tag. Please don't kill yourself before the camera video is made!
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 11:40:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Tag. Please don't kill yourself before the camera video is made!
View Quote

I appreciate the support!  I have a batch of dummy rounds about ready to finish if someone can recommend a cheap camera with a relatively high frame rate that is less than 2.3in in diameter.
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 9:17:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I appreciate the support!  I have a batch of dummy rounds about ready to finish if someone can recommend a cheap camera with a relatively high frame rate that is less than 2.3in in diameter.
View Quote

Not really Cheap but a GoPro Camera should work.  I am sure you can find a used one for a better price.

MAHA
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 9:30:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Not really Cheap but a GoPro Camera should work.  I am sure you can find a used one for a better price.

MAHA
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

MAHA

Just won't really fit in a 2.3" tube.
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 12:17:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

MAHA

And that's a significant problem.  I can only launch something less than 60mm in diameter.
Link Posted: 1/1/2014 1:20:38 AM EDT
[#17]
What about those contour cameras?
Link Posted: 1/1/2014 1:25:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
What about those contour cameras?
View Quote

That was going to be my next suggestion, but they've shut down, so you'll have to find one in stock or buy used.

I've got one and it's great, but you'd have to figure out some way to activate the slide switch and lock it in the on position, as the launch recoil would turn the camera off if it were facing forward.

There's always the Replay XD, that might be your best bet, it's around $150 retail.

Link Posted: 1/15/2014 10:15:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Something like this for a bowling ball  mortar??

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2014/01/panono-ball/
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 1:52:38 AM EDT
[#20]
This new camera takes video in 360deg. But at 399 when it comes out, might be out of the price range.

www.360fly.com

www.craveonline.com/lifestyle/articles/627273-ces-2014-video-voxx-360fly-camera#/slide/1
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 7:24:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
This new camera takes video in 360deg. But at 399 when it comes out, might be out of the price range.

http://www.360fly.com/

http://www.craveonline.com/lifestyle/articles/627273-ces-2014-video-voxx-360fly-camera#/slide/1
View Quote

You got your links backwards.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 1:36:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Links fixed. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 5:24:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Updates????
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 11:22:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Updates????
View Quote

Sorry about the lack of updates, I've been working on my Frag grenade project more than this one.  Once tax money comes back, I will try to pick up a better camera to then launch.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 5:56:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 10:01:17 PM EDT
[#26]
This may be the coolest thread in all of the internet.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 10:48:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Need to buckle down, finish my frag grenade project, and get the wife to allow me to spend money on a FPV camera that I will then launch.  There are some promising 360 degree cameras that will be hitting the market later this year, I will have to see how much they are.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top