Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/25/2017 12:51:09 AM EDT
Was at the range over the weekend and when I went to remove my Hybrid from a semi hot gun, the can started spinning without releasing the mount (Dead Air Keymo).  Thinking I spun the module off the can (I have a Bowers Cover on the can, so couldn't immediately see), I just retightened and decided to wait til I was home to remove the cover and wrench the Keymo module off the gun.

I get home and remove the cover, only to find that the actual outer sleeve of the Hybrid (the serialized tube portion) actually started backing off the threads on the baffle stack near the mount area.  I removed the tube and noticed what appeared to be a whitish residue over small portions of the baffle stack/threads (what I'm assuming was something similar to Rocksett).  Not wanting to deal with sending the whole can back to SiCo for what appeared to be a minor issue, I degreased everything, applied some Rocksett to the threads and rethreaded the serialized tube back on.

So has anyone seen this happen?  Should I not have done what I did in reinstalling?
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 1:19:21 AM EDT
[#1]
My Omega's outer tube was loose. Not as bad as what you describe, just loose. Sent it back to Sico for repair. They probably did the same thing you did.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 11:11:29 AM EDT
[#2]
My Hybrid did the same after spirited shooting on 556 sbr. SilencerCo sent me a tube of Rocksett that I applied heavily on the threads and inner tube, no issues since.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 11:20:53 AM EDT
[#3]
i have two omegas and a hybrid and havent had any issues but ill keep an eye out now. thanks
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 11:34:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Something to watch for, thanks.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 3:13:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Maybe the industrial size bottle of rocksett I have will finally come in handy when I get my hybrid out of jail
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 5:17:03 PM EDT
[#6]
If I am understanding the correctly, the Hybrid's outer tube is merely rocksetted onto the baffle stack?  Is this a joke?
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 5:40:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 5:40:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If I am understanding the correctly, the Hybrid's outer tube is merely rocksetted onto the baffle stack?  Is this a joke?
View Quote
I believe the Hybrid and Omega are like this. I read a post on SH where this same thing happened to some guys Omega after the first couple of rounds fired through the can.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 6:27:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I believe the Hybrid and Omega are like this. I read a post on SH where this same thing happened to some guys Omega after the first couple of rounds fired through the can.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_20/451875_Omega_exterior_separated_from_core.html

Sorry on mobile.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 6:34:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The outer tube houses a serial number and looks pretty, that's about it.  The mount and endcaps screw into the core.  If you get a baffle strike or shoot 45ACP through an Omega... SiCo can unscrew the old core, trash it, put in a new one... and you're on your way.  No re-welding baffle stacks, no cut down a can and rethread, etc.  

If it was a "feature" and not set with Rocksett or whatever they use from the factory, people would be all excited.  Since it's not a "feature" in the users manual everyone panics.   Think of it like a Sig P320.  The FCG isn't held into the frame with roll pins and screws, it's just a takedown lever so you can easily swap it out.  No different with the Hybrid/Omega... the tube is screwed on there and the baffle stack can be replaced easily.  (no real significant structural support, that's not really the point of it--- as would be with something like a Specwar or Saker).  

In theory, if SilencerCo came out with a core that was 10 dB more quiet, you could send in the Omega, toss in a new core, and be on your way in no time at all.
View Quote
Thanks.

Link Posted: 7/25/2017 6:49:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The outer tube houses a serial number and looks pretty, that's about it.  The mount and endcaps screw into the core.  If you get a baffle strike or shoot 45ACP through an Omega... SiCo can unscrew the old core, trash it, put in a new one... and you're on your way.  No re-welding baffle stacks, no cut down a can and rethread, etc.  

If it was a "feature" and not set with Rocksett or whatever they use from the factory, people would be all excited.  Since it's not a "feature" in the users manual everyone panics.   Think of it like a Sig P320.  The FCG isn't held into the frame with roll pins and screws, it's just a takedown lever so you can easily swap it out.  No different with the Hybrid/Omega... the tube is screwed on there and the baffle stack can be replaced easily.  (no real significant structural support, that's not really the point of it--- as would be with something like a Specwar or Saker).  

In theory, if SilencerCo came out with a core that was 10 dB more quiet, you could send in the Omega, toss in a new core, and be on your way in no time at all.
View Quote
Awesome.  Kind of what I figured was the whole purpose of the outer tube after looking at the parts in my hand.  Makes sense.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 6:50:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_20/451875_Omega_exterior_separated_from_core.html

Sorry on mobile.
View Quote
Cool.  Looks like I'm good on just Rocksetting the tube back on.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top