Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2017 11:34:11 PM EDT
I posted this on a local forum but I'll try the larger audience here to see if I can get some more input...

I have a 9mm and .22lr can, been wanting a rifle can for a while. When the Omega came out, I was set on it. My friend got it, it's great, surprisingly quiet with 147gr ZQI in a 20" bolt action, but I digress.

I'm impressed with Griffin's Recce 7's better sound suppression, shorter min barrel lengths, taper mount interface, and reported lower tone, compared to the Omega.

With the release of the Alpha (now named Paladin), reportedly a user serviceable Recce, 3oz lighter than the Recce, why would I buy the Recce vs Alpha/Paladin? Price difference is only about $150 which is minimal in the grand scheme, though I'll gladly save $150 if I can. Am I missing anything?

Hosts will be various 11.5-16" 5.56's ARs, 18" .308 bolt and AR10, maybe a 5.56 and/or .300BLK PDW, maybe 30cal lever gun. Mostly range use, minimal hunting.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 8:20:55 PM EDT
[#1]
The Alpha/Paladin is a great can. Love mine. 
A while back I was in a instagram live chat with Griffin and they said the Paladin was the same baffle stack as the Recce 7 but made mostly of Titanium, with a 17-4 blast baffle. 

My opinion was the Paladin is the better suppressor because you get  everything the Recce 7 offers but in a lighter package. For me the big feature is being able to take it a part and clean it. I know most say you don't have to but my 762-SDN-6 started getting build up in it and was a pain to get out. Several ounces of buildup. 

The Griffin cans are also very adaptable with different mounts, endcaps, etc. 
performace wise I've been very impressed with it on 556,300blk and 6.5 Creedmoor (that's where it shines)
i also have an Optimus and love it too, but the Alpha is by far my favorite. 

Attachment Attached File

And on my 11.5 SBR

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 9:50:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks a lot Right_rudder. I kind of figured the baffles had to be identical since they even say it's the performance of the Recce 7 but lighter and user serviceable. But it's good to hear that they flat out said so.

The 3oz savings is worth something but not $150. The user serviceable part is where I'm hung up, is it worth $150? Is it even necessary to open up a centerfire can? Obviously there is going to be build up in the can over time so the ability to pull it apart and drop it in my ultrasonic cleaner, has some appeal for sure when I think of longevity and the nature of NFA purchases essentially being lifetime purchases.

Someone on my local forum mentioned the concern of POI shift when disassembling and reassembling the can, unless you index the baffles to the logo for example. Not sure how big of an issue this is especially since I don't plan on cleaning the can that frequently.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 3:27:22 PM EDT
[#3]
To me that 3oz was worth it.. That can be a lot of weight on the end of the gun when you’ve got everything else on it as well. but thats a personal option.. As far as being able to take it a part, that was the big selling point for me. Having an AAC rifle can that built up several oz worth of crap over the years and it taking soaking it for several days to get it out. To me, being able to push the baffles out and put them in my tumbler was worth the difference in pricePOI shift can happen I guess, but is easy to line them up with the writing on the side. The other thing is being able to swap between the 22 and 30 end caps makes it like having a Recce 5 and 7

I think you'd be happy with either one.. They are both great cans 
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 3:58:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I know I posted on your post locally, but for 150$, I'd take 3oz and user serviceability.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 4:03:47 PM EDT
[#5]
The Oculus I have in JKupps jail allows for easy alignment of the baffle stacks for repeated assembly and POI shift. When I take my Optimus down, I realign the baffles to the serial number also, to cut down on poi changes.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 8:46:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Ok so I pulled trigger... QRF has a deal "spend $1,000, get a free osprey micro". So I got a Paladin and Orspey micro for $850 then added a couple mounts that I need. Now for the looong wait.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 9:17:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 12:19:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It's a deal...but it's still an Osprey Micro.
View Quote
What's wrong with them? Seriously. It seems like everyone is giving them away but after some quick research I read that their suppression is on par with the sparrow but have a more difficult attachment.

I thought the micro would go perfectly on my m&p22 pistol.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 3:29:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 6:01:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Everybody is giving them away because nobody's buying them.

IMHO, they were a solution to a problem that didn't exist.

Now, if you're going to dedicate it to a host, it may be slightly more useful. Having to time a mount for every host for a rimfire can seems pointless. And I'm pretty sure you'll have to remove that mount every time you want to remove the slide on the M&P 22.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/126679/IMG-9564-265109.jpg
View Quote
yep. I've gotta take my Checkmate 3 lug off to remove the slide on my M&P 22
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 6:13:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 7:16:33 PM EDT
[#12]
As long as the mount doesn't need to be timed again after initial setup then yes, it's the same as any other threaded adapter for the M&P.
And yes I do plan on having this be dedicated to one host and then I'll move my sparrow between my rifles and 22/45 when I get around to picking one up.
Good to know there isn't some fatal flaw aside from the difficulty moving between hosts. I can see why people wouldn't want it but that means great deal for me
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 8:48:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 11:10:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

No fatal flaw...just a long list of suppressors most people would buy before an Osprey Micro, for a variety of reasons.
View Quote
Yup - but I'm your Huckleberry if the price is right.

When Scott was blowing them out for $99 and it still qualified for the $200 SilencerCo store credit, that was a no-brainer. Mine will reside permanently on a Buckmark when it gets out of jail.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 11:13:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yep...but it makes no difference as to how it's aligned when you put it back on. Probably should've added that note to my comment. I think all threaded adapter for that particular handgun would have to be removed.

But for a standard round rimfire can, it's not much of an issue. The Osprey mounts may go right back on in proper alignment once initially set up, but it's just unnecessary work.
View Quote
Yeah I figured thats where you were going with it. 
The whole having to aline the mount and use that card while facing north on the 3 Saturday of the month at high noon is the reason I decided against one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top