Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2017 8:40:08 AM EDT
Hi -
I'm interested in getting one and want to know the process that you used as specifically as possible that gave you the least cost/hassles?

specifically - In / Around Jax FL - any luck getting CLEO to sign off or does this not make any difference on approval times ? - PM or email with specific details

*In the state of Florida, you must have a Trust, Corporation or CLEO (Chief Law Enforcement Officer) Approval Signature.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 9:18:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Is there a FL state law requiring this? If you are getting that from this site: http://floridaarmory.com/How-to-purchase-class-III.html then that just looks like old (before July 2016) information.

In any case, I'd suggest using a trust or LLC for this purpose anyway as this will allow you to give multiple people access to NFA items.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 11:27:46 AM EDT
[#2]
That was how it was a year ago. Now you can purchase and file as an individual, you just have to mail a copy to the cleo for their records, no sign off needed.
Visit your local gun store that carries nfa stuff, and they will walk you through it. Individual purchases will still need photo and fingerprints along with the form 4
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 11:33:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 7:18:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I thought CLEO sign off was a way around having to make a trust?

I met a guy years ago that had a half dozen suppressors and he said he had local CLEO sign off. Said it was easy for him since he was a naval officer that was tight with the CLEO

So ideally looking for somebody that has a similar deal unless it's now only Trust > Form path ?
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 7:54:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 1:48:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I live in Southside Jacksonville. Many form 1 sbr's and form 4 cans done pre 41p. In Duval county and the adjacent counties you needed CLEO sign-off if going individual route...hence why I went with using a trust. Now there is no need for sign-off by the CLEO and only need to inform them with both individual and trust routes (a copy of the form 4).

I literally just bought one of the Capital Armory TiRant45's and will use my trust when it gets form 3'd to Gun Gallery on Beach Blvd. (They have an indoor range).
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 2:06:34 PM EDT
[#7]
The easiest method:

Go to Silencershop.com...Create an account, buy something
Go to a 'powered by' dealer with a kiosk, have your fingerprints scanned
Download their app, take a selfie
Buy a single shot trust
...throw fat stacks of $100 dollar bills away.  

Not necessarily in that order. But seriously, this is the easiest way in the post 41f world.  The good part is, the second time you can skip at least two, if not three of those steps (not the one where you throw $100 dollar bills away, though).

I'm starting to sound like a shill for Silencershop, but damn, it's so easy through them now.  Seriously.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 4:00:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Yup.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 2:30:36 PM EDT
[#9]
I just bought a dead air mask through silencer shop. Had it sent to First coast firearms in saint Aug. Will I have to send my local CLEO in Clay county a notification or is it something First coast firearms does? This is my first suppressor as well. But I'm on the waiting list for a Sandman  K.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 2:48:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 2:54:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

SS should handle it. They notify a state level CLEO (Atty Gen IIRC), which is perfectly acceptable and keeps them from having to figure out all the city/county contacts.
View Quote
Thanks Bigwaylon. Hopefully SS gets the Sandman K's in stock soon I have money burning a hole in my pocket.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top