Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2017 8:57:35 PM EDT
I was just in my local SOT and the guy at the desk seemed to think if your fingerprint cards are over 30 days old either ink or electronic you would get denied and need to start the entire process over!? Any truth to this?

Doesn't make much sense to me that they would deny someone over something like that?  When I get finger prints taken I like to get a few extra sets just in case I find something one of the many SOT dealers in my area might have in the store that they ordered.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:03:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Who's dating the card?

Seems silly and more like typical gun store bs. What difference is a date going to make. Seriously, they're going to be almost a year old anyway when the examiner finally gets to them.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:06:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Exactly made no sense to me! You would also think that if it were true everyone would be on the same page and you be told by the ATF that the prints need to be with 30 days of the date on the application.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:39:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like BS to me. I just used CA to file a form 1 because they had mine and my wife's prints and photos. 
They were taken in September, if there was any truth to this im sure Capitol would have made me take prints over again. 

Come to think of it, the only thing I remember reading about is photos have to be less then a year old. 
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:40:06 PM EDT
[#4]
There is no required date range for fingerprints. They don't change unless your fingers change.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:46:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 2:03:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Time for you to set up a Silencer Shop account.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 12:05:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I never looked at mine, I got 5 sets of prints a while back at the PD for free and have been using them since, I dont think theyre dated though
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 12:08:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 12:38:09 PM EDT
[#9]
How long do you guys keep prints on file? Indefinitely? I didn't believe him it just blows that he's spreading misinformation.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 12:41:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 1:13:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 2:34:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Yah I get mine done at a local LOE office and when she signed them she obviously put the date in the "date" section next to her Signature but that's the only place its is.  They are the electronic ones as well that they printout so the ink will not run or anything.  I was just very surprised that he said that so I wanted to make sure no one else has had any experiences with denials if a fingerprint card is 31 days old lol
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 2:38:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 11:39:41 PM EDT
[#14]
I've never heard of any print card ever being rejected due to the date. Quality, yes; they will reject for poor quality. FBI standards say you can have 2 bad prints total, but not the same finger being bad on both cards. Live Scan eliminates this problem, basically. The digital cards are identical, and the computer automatically assesses the quality of each individual print at the time it is recorded. It still does not replace a human knowing what a good/bad print looks like, but overall it is better.

I store prints indefinitely. So does the FBI.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 1:30:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Your prints will be well over 30 days old by the time ATF even looks at them... No approvals ever!
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 4:39:05 PM EDT
[#16]
There is no expiration on fingerprints, somebody is blow smoke up you he ha and does not know what they are talking about.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 4:52:48 PM EDT
[#17]
There was a post many years back about a correction for print card date over a year old.

New prints were sent back with the error letter.

That is the only time I ever recall seeing anything about prints being too old, and it was not a denial but an error letter.

I have personally used cards at 10 months old at time of submission - but wait times were at 4 months at that particular time.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 7:18:37 PM EDT
[#18]
How would they know if a photo is over 1 year old?

Rob
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 9:26:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There is no expiration on fingerprints, somebody is blow smoke up you he ha and does not know what they are talking about.
View Quote
Fingerprints can change over time. One of my shooting buddies was a stone mason and his finger ridges were worn smooth over the years. He had no finger prints.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 10:05:17 PM EDT
[#20]
They can get worse, yeah.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 8:06:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Fingerprints can change over time. One of my shooting buddies was a stone mason and his finger ridges were worn smooth over the years. He had no finger prints.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
True. However, there is no regulation or rule setting an expiration date on them, like there is for photos.
Another example of why you get your print cards directly from the ATF and print yourself. Make a stack and date them just before they're submitted.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top