Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/18/2017 8:29:14 PM EDT
Overall, build quality seemed pretty good. It came with 2 pmags, and I only had a quick visit. I only fired it in the long config, but I'll certainly get more adventurous at a later date. I think I'll have to polish the feed ramp, as I did have a couple of misfeeds, but that may work itself out after a break in. Either that or just go to Glock mags instead of the pmags that shipped with it. I paid 1500 for it, and I'm happy with it. It was actually a bit lighter than I would have expected for the size, so that was a pleasant surprise.

Video below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3rVk-AW_1c
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 9:14:41 PM EDT
[#1]
How bad did you notice the trigger when firing? Mine is at the dealer waiting on its form 4 and I've only dry fired it and my trigger felt bad.

I haven't tried to see if I can get my guy to go shooting to see how it does. He also has a kriss vector 10mm sbr of mine though and I'm more interested in shooting it.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 9:17:38 PM EDT
[#2]
How does the trigger compare to a Glock?  How hard is the disassembly?
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 9:32:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Tagging for interest. 
Pits on my "to buy" list for later in the year
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:08:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How does the trigger compare to a Glock?  How hard is the disassembly?
View Quote
My trigger feels close to a factory Glock. Not terrible, not great. It really needs a better reset. I ran several rapid fire 33 round factory Glock mags through mine during its initial outing without a single issue. It was better than I expected. The trigger parts resemble Glock or other common striker fired parts but don't seem to be interchangeable with Glock parts. Basic takedown is simple. Push in on the button on the rear of the slide and lift the latch over the chamber area. Pull back on the slide and lift off. The baffles are held on with two threaded rods. Remove the screws from the front of the gun and the baffles slide off. Install the supplied short rods to run it in the short configuration. I haven't detail stripped it but Capitol Armory has and didn't comment that it was much different than any other polymer striker gun.

I hope Apex or some other trigger company makes an upgrade for the Maxim!
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:17:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I didn't really find the trigger too bad. It was a little heavy, but not like a CZ P09 or anything... it was fine.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:27:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Are these based off a glock? I take it someone will have to make a trigger for it to get it down to 3-3.5 pounds.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 9:17:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Are these based off a glock? I take it someone will have to make a trigger for it to get it down to 3-3.5 pounds.
View Quote
I would say it's internals follow the same basic geometries and function principles as many current striker fired pistols. It gives me some hope that one of the premier trigger makers will see enough of a market that they'll produce one based off of one of thier current designs. So far in my time shooting a prototype and my own the trigger is the only aspect of the gun I feel can be improved. The function, balance, compactness, sound, and takedown have all been excellent for me.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 11:24:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I didn't really find the trigger too bad. It was a little heavy, but not like a CZ P09 or anything... it was fine.
View Quote
So something like a $.25 trigger job and a lighter connector would be needed? 
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 1:05:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Looking forward to handling and shooting mine in a few months nuts at the dealer's summer shoot.

Does the grip feel...grippy?
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:21:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, grip feels fine. I had a consistent purchase at all times, although I can't say what it would be like if my hand was wet or sweaty.

I'm not going to lie, I'm kinda hoping there is a 45 version soon.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 8:18:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yeah, grip feels fine. I had a consistent purchase at all times, although I can't say what it would be like if my hand was wet or sweaty.

View Quote
God spare me, I'm not rich.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:17:11 PM EDT
[#12]
I've been thinking of the possibilities of a Glock 26 w/ a shorty suppressor in a shoulder holster.  Perhaps not as short as the Maxim, but more flexible and better aftermarket.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 9:54:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I've been thinking of the possibilities of a Glock 26 w/ a shorty suppressor in a shoulder holster.  Perhaps not as short as the Maxim, but more flexible and better aftermarket.
View Quote
Flexibility and all of the issues that are a result is why the Maxim was built. It is my uneducated assumption that most of the initial adopters of the Maxim already own traditional pistol setups and can fully understand the benefits of a dedicated platform. I was lucky enough to be able to shoot a prototype prior to purchase but most Maxim owners have never even held one, much less fired one.

I have four traditionally suppressed pistols that run great and sound great while doing range activities. I've used one of them in a charity 3 gun with success but there were no holster draw stations due to being an amateur style charity function. Where the traditional setups are severely lacking is use in the field (hunting and outdoors activities for me, not law enforcement). It can certainly be done but even short cans seem long, there are no normal holsters, and you end up feeling like you are carrying something not meant to be carried. That all changes when you pick up the Maxim.

As far as aftermarket goes, the Maxim uses Glock sights and magazines, and is pre-milled for a red dot sight. Other than the trigger/striker components, I'm not sure what else could be replaced or modified by the aftermarket. There was talk from a few owners at the Maxim event that Capitol Armory and SilencerCo held about chopping the grip to G19 length and running it in the short configuration for an even more compact package. At the event, I wasn't surprised to learn more than a few people had purchased two Maxim 9s. If a Maxim 45 is introduced, I'm going to be like them and will purchase two.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 3:33:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Flexibility and all of the issues that are a result is why the Maxim was built. It is my uneducated assumption that most of the initial adopters of the Maxim already own traditional pistol setups and can fully understand the benefits of a dedicated platform. I was lucky enough to be able to shoot a prototype prior to purchase but most Maxim owners have never even held one, much less fired one.

I have four traditionally suppressed pistols that run great and sound great while doing range activities. I've used one of them in a charity 3 gun with success but there were no holster draw stations due to being an amateur style charity function. Where the traditional setups are severely lacking is use in the field (hunting and outdoors activities for me, not law enforcement). It can certainly be done but even short cans seem long, there are no normal holsters, and you end up feeling like you are carrying something not meant to be carried. That all changes when you pick up the Maxim.

As far as aftermarket goes, the Maxim uses Glock sights and magazines, and is pre-milled for a red dot sight. Other than the trigger/striker components, I'm not sure what else could be replaced or modified by the aftermarket. There was talk from a few owners at the Maxim event that Capitol Armory and SilencerCo held about chopping the grip to G19 length and running it in the short configuration for an even more compact package. At the event, I wasn't surprised to learn more than a few people had purchased two Maxim 9s. If a Maxim 45 is introduced, I'm going to be like them and will purchase two.
View Quote
You know you want to dual wield these guns and be badass! /s

I only bought one which I played with but haven't fired when I did my form 4. Gotta say I could see myself buying a maxim 45 in the future. Don't know if I'd buy two of them though. It could be an interesting set of guns in like a wood and glass case.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 3:46:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You know you want to dual wield these guns and be badass! /s

I only bought one which I played with but haven't fired when I did my form 4. Gotta say I could see myself buying a maxim 45 in the future. Don't know if I'd buy two of them though. It could be an interesting set of guns in like a wood and glass case.
View Quote
I would buy one for myself and one for my father who could then hand it down to my son. I may do that with the 9 but I'm holding out hope for the 45!
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 4:15:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Love how that 147gr sounds, and the 115 ain't bad either.

Still waiting on mine...unfortunately my dealer is not Silencerco direct and I'm stuck waiting on the usual distributors.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 7:06:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
I stopped by my dealer and a SiCo guy was in there showing him the gun and answering his questions about availability and such. I said "when's the 45" and he said not on the plans due to popularity of 9mm. Not sure if the suppression difficulties of 45 play a hand in it, or what.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 4:48:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Fondled mine at the dealer last week. The looks are really deceiving. It looks huge. But holding it up to a Glock 17 in the flesh really makes the design shine. A G17 even with a small can is much longer and not as well balanced. The mechanism of the gun itself seems genius with the two recoil springs and guides being contained in the slide. The barrel of course is fixed and the gun appears to lock up using a G43 type 'flapper' in the slide that engages with a recess near the chamber.

My one bitch is that SiCo is using the same rod set up as the Salvo 12 with the rods threaded on both ends which is fine, but they only give you one set of the hex drive nuts. So, you need to unscrew the rods from the front of the can, then unscrew the nuts off the rods and then put the nuts on the shorter rods. Just changing configurations and not really cranking them hard at all, one of the nuts got stuck pretty good on a rod. In order to change it, the rod had to be put in a vice and the nut turned off. I would much rather have an extra set of the nuts so both sets of rods could have nuts that have lock-tite semi permanently mounted to them. Would be a pain in the ass if it happened at the range and you could goober up the rod holding with pliers etc.

Can't wait to get it to the range.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top