User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/17/2017 7:28:15 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 7:36:47 PM EDT
[#1]
MAXIM 9
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 8:02:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Honestly, it sounds like a bad idea to me. If you're home defense gun is a 9mm, you have two things working against you - short length and a .45 caliber sized aperture. 

For your application, you shouldn't be looking for flexibility but for the can that gives you the best performance possible matched with the host you are going to use.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 8:17:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Not a hybrid for this application.

Osprey 9mm would be good but make sure your light won't be blocked.

Omega 9k would be good but you'll need to sight through the can--I just used the can edge against the target last time I shot and it worked well
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 10:32:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I have an Octane 45k and I'm not super impressed on 9mm.  I know the Osprey 45k is a different can but as Engineer said the 45 caliber hole is working against you.  My HD can right now is an AAC TiRANT-9s.  Very impressive for the size and being so short and light it keeps the pistol maneuverable.

Link Posted: 7/17/2017 10:50:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I wouldn't. Get one to shoot, not for HD. Lots of reasons but I think it's incredibly impractical. Osprey 9 owner and happy, just impractical.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 11:44:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Tirant 9m
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 11:56:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My wife and I finally agreed to a suppressor for home defense pistol use, as we have a 4 year old and newborn boys. We don't want them going deaf, God Forbid we have to use a firearm in the event of a break-in, etc.
View Quote

Horrible rationale for getting a silencer.

Quoted:
I've taken the advice of my friends at the gun store, and I was recommended the SilencerCo Osprey 45k for use on one of my 9mm pistols, or possibly a 45 in the future.  
View Quote

Horrible choice given your host.

Those are not your friends, they are salesman trying to sell you what they have, not what you need. Get a new gun store. They should have recommended a dedicated 9mm can.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 11:56:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Is it me, or does that photo look like a full-size Osprey 45?
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:27:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
MAXIM 9
View Quote
I'll second this, though it won't be an overwhelmingly popular opinion. I own an Osprey 9, Osprey 45, Octane 45, Liberty Mystic X, and two Hybrids. While the traditional cans work well, in my opinion they fall short when compared to the Maxim. The Maxim in the long configuration is MUCH shorter than my Sig 226 with Osprey 9. The Maxim is well balanced and provides a rail mount interface for a light/laser unit. The Maxim isn't the quietest of the cans I listed but it certainly is hearing safe with the subs I shot through it. If they are all hearing safe, other factors quickly become a priority. It sounded fine with supers too but I plan to run subs so it's not really a consideration for me. The Maxim also mitigates the problems that stem from threaded connections and piston/spring interface (unthreading/loose can, cycling issues). I'm certainly no expert - just a normal consumer, but I'm over 20 cans in and I would certainly buy differently today than I did just a few years ago. I'd start with a Maxim 9 for pistol needs and skip the loose cans.

If you are set on a traditional can, the Osprey lineup is great for pistol use. If you plan on it becoming a multi-role can as you eluded to, I'd suggest a serviceable round can like the Octane 9/45/45K, Liberty Mystic X, Rugged Obsidian 45 (configurable length), and Dead Air Ghost 45M (configurable length).
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:53:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes, does to me too.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 11:03:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 11:17:00 AM EDT
[#12]
I myself would never buy a unproven gun (Maxim9) with a history of design issues for self defense.

If in a few years it shows itself to be reliable then perhaps but not now.

A g19 with silencer performs double duty as a home gun and as a CC  piece.

YMMV
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 1:01:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I myself would never buy a unproven gun (Maxim9) with a history of design issues for self defense.
View Quote
I'll be your beta tester!
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 2:56:33 PM EDT
[#14]
I just bought a maxim 9 for fun and night stand duty.  

So I'll second the maxim 9.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 5:11:21 PM EDT
[#15]
I've tested this -- in my most accurate shooting stance (i.e. typical shouldered for carbine and isometric for handgun) my 9mm AR (4.5" barrel & Obsidian on a 3 lug) is shorter (from the back of my feet to the end of the muzzle -- measured by standing facing a wall in shooting position) than my P226 is WITHOUT a can, and MUCH shorter than the P226 with the can.

The PCC is roughly equivalent to shooting the silenced P226 from a retention position, which I can do fairly accurately (at close range) but not near as accurately as I can shoot an SBR. Target acquisition from retention is more difficult than most have practiced. Yeah, it's easy to shoot a target directly ahead of you, but try turning somewhere between 45 and 90 degrees to acquire the target and deliver solid hits from retention -- harder, no?

And about retention: carbine with one hand on each end vs. handgun in a 1.5 handed grip with an 8" handle (can) on the end of it. It's no contest that I could retain a carbine better than a drawn handgun with a suppressor hanging off the end, especially when I need to keep the pistol in an extreme retention position so the can isn't accessible to areas I can't see.

My 9mm AR also feeds 147gr Federal HST reliably. I know not all do.

So I can pick between 3 main options (barring rifle calibers):
    19 rounds of HST in a LOUD compact package with moderate retention capability and good accuracy
    19 rounds of HST in a quiet but loooong package with poor retention capability and mediocre accuracy
    33 rounds of HST in a quiet compact package with good retention capability and high accuracy
As far as I'm concerned the PCC SBR is the best of the three options for use within a structure regardless of whether your HD plan is to harden up or go clearing.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 5:44:22 PM EDT
[#16]
If you really plan to suppress a 45 and can only afford one suppressor then the 45K is an ok choice.
If you can afford more than one can, once you have one you will have more.

I like my Osprey 9 but next pistol suppressor was an Omega 9K.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:16:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 11:10:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
FWIW, the suppressor isn't going to be a "range toy", it's for preventing my kids from going deaf in the event I have to protect my family with a firearm in the home.
And I work at the gun store, so I have a wide variety of choices and no one is pressuring me into something to make the most money.
I've seen the reviews and videos, and there is only about a 5 decibel difference between the 45 can and the 9 can on a 9mm pistol.
I like the non-cylindrical design of the Osprey so I can use standard height sights. And there would still be sufficient room under the rail that a weapon light would provide illumination with an offset can.
So other than that, is there something missing?
And I can't afford the full Maxim pistol and they are hard to come by.
View Quote
Please verify standard sights and weapon lights.
G17/osprey 45 doesn't quite clear for me
And others have issues with weapon light clearance, idk if it was Surefire or streamlight
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 11:20:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
FWIW, the suppressor isn't going to be a "range toy", it's for preventing my kids from going deaf in the event I have to protect my family with a firearm in the home.
And I work at the gun store, so I have a wide variety of choices and no one is pressuring me into something to make the most money.
I've seen the reviews and videos, and there is only about a 5 decibel difference between the 45 can and the 9 can on a 9mm pistol.
I like the non-cylindrical design of the Osprey so I can use standard height sights. And there would still be sufficient room under the rail that a weapon light would provide illumination with an offset can.
View Quote
5 dB is still 5 dB. SilencerCo quotes a difference of 8 dB between an Osprey 9 and 45K (127.0 dB vs. 135.0 dB). Your environment is small enclosed rooms with lots of hard reflective walls - I'd take as much suppression as I could get.

Depends on your host, but standard sights may still not clear an Osprey.

Look around - maybe you can find and old ECO-9/EVO-9.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 12:15:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
5 dB is still 5 dB. SilencerCo quotes a difference of 8 dB between an Osprey 9 and 45K (127.0 dB vs. 135.0 dB). Your environment is small enclosed rooms with lots of hard reflective walls - I'd take as much suppression as I could get.

Depends on your host, but standard sights may still not clear an Osprey.

Look around - maybe you can find and old ECO-9/EVO-9.
View Quote
I posted sub $300 Evo's last week in the deals thread.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 12:25:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Get a 45 + a SilencerCo Osprey 45.

9mm suppressed - meh. 45 suppressed - awesome.

SilencerCo all the way.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 12:34:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Attachment Attached File

Too much call of duty getting a can for HD. This is my nightstand rig. G17. Suppressor height trijicons. Minus connector. Alg magwell. Apl. There's a reason the can isn't on the gun. Clear a house with it, there's a foot long dong off the barrel.

If you're really worried about hd do a aurora from gemtech.

Listen to everyone on here.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 10:12:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I like the non-cylindrical design of the Osprey so I can use standard height sights.
View Quote
Nope, at least not on all guns.  When I bought my Octane 45K last year, I looked at the Osprey for the above reason.  My dealer screwed the Osprey onto a few different guns he had available with threaded barrels.  The Osprey obscured the sights on all of them.

See This Thread

My Octane 45K sounds fine with 9mm  124gr and 147gr subs on my HK VP9.  I did have to put suppressor-height sights on it.  In two minutes, I can swap out the mount and put it on my AR9.  If I ever get a threaded 45, I can use it there too.  I liked the 45K for the versatility and I did not care for the extra weight/length of the regular Octane.  I also looked at some of the newer modular suppressors and realized I'd probably never run it in the long configuration, so that feature would be wasted on me.

Consider an AAC Illusion if you want an eccentric 9mm handgun suppressor.

Hybrid is crazy talk.  IMO, it's for .458 SOCOM and lever guns, not pistols.

ETA: And with all of the stuff I've seen posted on gun boards regarding HD, a suppressed handgun is on the low end of odd/crazy.  Sub guns with and without cans, rifles with and without cans, SBRs and AR/AK pistols, unreliable guns, night vision, armor...  the list goes on.  If it takes a suppressor to get the blessing from your wife, that's fine.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 10:42:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Or get both the 45 and 45k in one can, cheaper, by getting the Obsidian.

Rugged Obsidian is slightly longer than the Osprey 45 in the long config and slightly longer than the Osprey 45k in the short config, but way quieter than both of their respective Osprey configurations (especially K form). On my 1911 the Obsidian comes up to the top of my sights, so I can align the sights as normal and sight along the top of the can the same way I sight along the front blade of the sights.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 2:19:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 3:27:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Curious to your thoughts/ explanation on this one in case there was something obvious I missed in my home defense plan as I have silencers on all of my home defense guns.
I understand they make the pistol longer, but it's just a secondary item in a holster, and I plan to hunker in place with a suppressed rifle.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 3:58:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
At some point I'll probably be getting a FNX 45 Tactical or a SIG P320 TacOps to mount the suppressor as the "designated " platform prior to my stamp being approved and returned.
Both have threaded barrels and high sights.
More likely it'll be the FNX 45 Tactical
Hope that helps the conversation.
View Quote
Then who cares about suppressor-height sights if you plan on buying guns with them already installed?  Skip the eccentric design and pick your favorite conventional can.

And add the USP 45 Tactical to the list of guns.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 9:43:39 PM EDT
[#28]
View Quote
Glad to see that post is helping people understand the realities of the Osprey.

OP, to bad your not a Texas resident, or I would sell you mine at a discount.

Quoted:
ETA: And with all of the stuff I've seen posted on gun boards regarding HD, a suppressed handgun is on the low end of odd/crazy.  Sub guns with and without cans, rifles with and without cans, SBRs and AR/AK pistols, unreliable guns, night vision, armor...  the list goes on.  If it takes a suppressor to get the blessing from your wife, that's fine.
View Quote
Suppressed handgun is not crazy for HD, it would be nice tonot damage your hearing because you where protecting your family. I have heard someone tell me that gun fire inside a house is really fricking loud and will leave your ears ringing for several hours.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 9:51:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
We don't want them going deaf, God Forbid we have to use a firearm in the event of a break-in, etc.
View Quote

It will only be too loud for people in the same room as the gunfire. People in other rooms, especially with the doors closed, probably won't be affected by the sound to the point of hearing damage. However, this will vary depending on house design (amount of openness to other rooms where people are) and flooring materials (carpet absorbs sound very well).
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 8:30:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes

Also, a full size or caliber specific model would be better.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 8:59:25 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
My wife and I finally agreed to a suppressor for home defense pistol use, as we have a 4 year old and newborn boys. We don't want them going deaf, God Forbid we have to use a firearm in the event of a break-in, etc.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/131211/IMG-5225-256490.jpg
View Quote
unless this is simply the rationale the wife will buy into, this doesnt make much sense. i dont think a couple shots in the dark, if it ever happens, will cause perm hearing loss
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:49:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Horrible choice given your host.

Those are not your friends, they are salesman trying to sell you what they have, not what you need. Get a new gun store. They should have recommended a dedicated 9mm can.
View Quote

You think wanting to quite something that can damage hearing, especially with kids around is horrible rationale for getting a silencer?

I don't even know where to begin but it would be mostly coc violations. I mean....any brains?  At all?  

You obviously don't have kids.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:54:45 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
Dude straight up ignore anyone who thinks it's odd that you're concerned about your child's hearing safety. They are probably basement dwellers who might know a lot about a particular subject but only because they don't have a girl or kids because they can't get them.

I can't wait to hear the dumb ass excuses for saying it's a horrible rationale to want a suppressor for your own hearing jet alone small children. I mean cmon. That has to win the award for the dumbest shit said this year.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:56:06 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/376523/15004385907752117932883-257640.JPG

Too much call of duty getting a can for HD. This is my nightstand rig. G17. Suppressor height trijicons. Minus connector. Alg magwell. Apl. There's a reason the can isn't on the gun. Clear a house with it, there's a foot long dong off the barrel.

If you're really worried about hd do a aurora from gemtech.

Listen to everyone on here.
View Quote
As opposed to a rifle that's way longer?  Almost everyone here who is telling him to go for it?
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 10:03:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

It will only be too loud for people in the same room as the gunfire. People in other rooms, especially with the doors closed, probably won't be affected by the sound to the point of hearing damage. However, this will vary depending on house design (amount of openness to other rooms where people are) and flooring materials (carpet absorbs sound very well).
View Quote
And there is no chance that will happen.

OP. First off, silence everything
But if you can't definitely suppressor your HD gun.

It mostly doesn't matter what you use for HD as long as:

1.  It works
2. You train with it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 10:10:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Wow at this thread. Shows just how clueless people can be.

There are so many variables here but people just want to say OP's rational is "horrible"?

Clueless.

What if you live in a commie state?  In NY every cop I knew told me don't clear your house. Get your family in your room and wait for the cops. If the perp comes to your room first ask them nuckeyvto leave. Then blow them. Then maybe shoot warning shots. Then shoot them and then you might not go to jail for shooting a protected species(the criminal)

I mean there are a million scenarios. I know everyone here is trained to clear their house properly right?  You're all rambos.

Jesus.

You're thinking correctly OP.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 10:31:53 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:Then maybe shoot warning shots.
View Quote
THAT is the most stupidist comment per this thread IMO.

I'm guessing the gun shop doesn't want the hassle to get something in for their employee.  IF being the most quietest is your primary objective due to your children being in the home, you get a caliber specific can and use it on that caliber.  

On a sidenote, for those who use a suppressed handgun as a nightstand gun, how do you keep it locked up?  I've got guns locked up around the house for home defense, but none of them are suppressed.  Honestly, doens't really bother me and I do have kids.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 10:46:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Wow at this thread. Shows just how clueless people can be.

There are so many variables here but people just want to say OP's rational is "horrible"?
View Quote
OP asked for experience and advice. I see a lot of different ideas in this thread regarding what the best approach for HD is. Most of the feedback is that if OP wants to suppress as much as possible, then he shouldn't be looking for a K can because a .45 K can is still going to be f'ing loud on a 9mm. If he wants the can to stay short at the expense of suppression, then there is a need that hasn't been clearly expressed.

OP hasn't described his HD strategy enough to provide better guidance. If he's planning to gather his family and hunker down waiting for the police, then I don't know why he's looking at a K can. If he's planning to go out and find potential BGs then 1. his family won't be in the immediate location of where he is shooting and 2. a suppressor on the end of a pistol is a huge disadvantage. An unsuppressed pistol or a suppressed PCC or rifle are all better options than running around with 16" of unretainable weapon.

So OP's current direction is sort of the worst of both worlds regardless of the plan. That's the experience and advice he's getting.

Add on that if the rationale for the Osprey is to see the sights, and the Osprey doesn't allow for the sights to be seen on most stock pistols, then there's a whole world of other cans out there that will perform better than the Osprey 45k.

Thanks for your contributions to the tech area though.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 10:53:54 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

To be fair, he was lampooning liberal laws and judicial findings.

On a sidenote, for those who use a suppressed handgun as a nightstand gun, how do you keep it locked up?
http://products.fas1safe.com/product.sc?productId=16
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 11:07:28 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

On a sidenote, for those who use a suppressed handgun as a nightstand gun, how do you keep it locked up?  I've got guns locked up around the house for home defense, but none of them are suppressed.  Honestly, doens't really bother me and I do have kids.
View Quote

I also use the FAS1 SBD safe.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 11:20:36 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
If the perp comes to your room first ask them nuckeyvto leave. Then blow them. Then maybe shoot warning shots.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
If the perp comes to your room first ask them nuckeyvto leave. Then blow them. Then maybe shoot warning shots.

Quoted:

As opposed to a rifle that's way longer?  Almost everyone here who is telling him to go for it?
Shoulder an 8" 300blk and measure the length. Then grab a g19 and extend your arms in a natural shooting position.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 11:59:40 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
then he shouldn't be looking for a K can because a .45 K can is still going to be f'ing loud on a 9mm.
View Quote
I would say that it is mildly loud, not "f'ing" loud. I have taken my ear pro off for a few rounds from my Osprey and I would say that is was uncomfortable, but not horrible. It takes off most of the harsh bite, but I still wear ear pro with it when plinking because hearing loss is cumulative.

For the 5-10 shots (or even the unlikely 20-30) fired in an HD situation it will make a very significant difference on hearing damage. From that brief encounter you probably would have very little hearing damage if you had any at all. I would absolutely use a K can for HD.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 1:49:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I have taken my ear pro off for a few rounds from my Osprey and I would say that is was uncomfortable, but not horrible.
View Quote
At an indoor or outdoor range? How about in a stairwell?

Quieter than unsuppressed? Absolutely no doubt. Worth the drawbacks of extending the weapon by 6.5"? Very arguable, IMO no.

An additional inch and a half makes a dramatic difference in suppression (10db on 9mm from Osp45k to Osp45). If we were talking about a .45 host then the difference in suppression isn't that great (137 vs 131) but 135 to 125 on 9mm is HUGE. The Osprey 45k is a lousy choice for a 9mm platform, barring some unusually restrictive requirements.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 8:13:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Worth the drawbacks of extending the weapon by 6.5"?

... but 135 to 125 on 9mm is HUGE.
View Quote
Most definitely yes! 135db is still hearing safe. We are not talking about shooting 100 rounds of 9mm indoors once a week. We are talking about 5-10 shots in an emergency situation, one time. A "K" suppressor, even 45 caliber, would be more than adequate.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 8:26:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote
And there is no chance that will happen.

OP. First off, silence everything
But if you can't definitely suppressor your HD gun.
View Quote
I guess you didn't read my post directly before this one. It was meant to express that people in other rooms won't be going deaf (but don't tell the wife if that will make her retract her approval )

I agree, suppress everything you can, most definitely your HD gun.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 8:32:04 PM EDT
[#46]
I'll take the opposite side.  I love my osprey 45k. I shoot it on a Glock 23 in .40 and on my 9mm scorpion Evo. It pretty much lives on the evo now but it is safe and comfortable to shoot outdoors without plugs.  Indoors will be worse but much better than no can.

9 and .40 both have quieter levels out of the can than .45 despite being smaller than the .45 aperture.

It's a great can.

Is it as quiet as a bigger can? No. But the tone is great and it's quiet enough for my use. Sounds like a nail gun.  

I like short guns and short cans. It works for me.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 5:05:34 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

To be fair, he was lampooning liberal laws and judicial findings.

http://products.fas1safe.com/product.sc?productId=16
View Quote
After re reading the post, I see your point.  Apologies FAH.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 7:11:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top