Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/2/2017 5:26:52 PM EDT
If you aren't familiar, Teludyne is the company who makes the StraightJacket barrel system (now licensed to Falkor Defense as the Dracos barrel system) that uses a barrel sleeve filled with a secret compound to keep barrels cool (increases accuracy, barrel life, etc.)

Check out what they are teasing on their FaceBook page:

suppressor temperature graphic 1

suppressor temperature comparison

They are being coy in the comments, saying they can't reveal much detail yet, but I'm guessing they've applied the same concept to a suppressor.  Looks rather interesting (as long as it isn't super heavy, of course!).
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 5:43:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like some interesting technology that could bring on the next wave of suppressor development, if the claims are legitimate. Sign me up for a light, reasonably quiet, and cool can if they can make it for a price that doesn't necessitate being a government entity to afford one.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 5:47:41 PM EDT
[#2]
goodness, thats cool! 
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 5:49:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Is it simply an insulation layer holding the heat away from the outside material layer or does it have some miracle properties that allow a super fast dissipation of the heat?
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 5:56:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is it simply an insulation layer holding the heat away from the outside material layer or does it have some miracle properties that allow a super fast dissipation of the heat?
View Quote
I don't how heat dissipation can be accelerated faster than the conducting material or the absorbing atmosphere allow.  It has to be an insulating material, which has both benefits & drawbacks, depending on the intended goals.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 6:14:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
My question as well. Either it dissipates heat, insulates or conducts the heat somewhere - not sure what they are doing but it seems like insulating it. 25 rounds is not a lot - I'd like to see what the thermal characteristics are like after a half dozen mag dumps.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 6:34:35 PM EDT
[#6]
hehe... the question of what their barrel system actually does, and how it does it, has been hotly debated by people who either know science or think they do for many years and I won't try to repeat it here.  There are some patent docs available to dig into if one is so inclined, but the secret sauce recipe is still a closely guarded secret.  Suffice to say, if it was just insulating then it would be very easy to prove by monitoring the internal temperature of the barrel.  Various people have done that and there's no question at this point that the system does what they say it does.  In short, it moves heat out of the barrel and gets rid of it.  Here's the latest guy who's digging into it:  The New Rifleman and Teludyne Tech

So I would really doubt that they are just insulating the suppressor.  Did you guys see the image where they measured temperatures after 150 rounds?  It's in the 1st link.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 7:10:33 PM EDT
[#7]
double post.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 7:11:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I would guess something along these lines. We use it to prevent high heat transfer in areas that flammable cannot be removed. I wouldn't know how long the properties would last, if it were to be contained between two walls of a suppressor.

http://www.laco.com/heat-protection-products/cool-gel-/
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 8:16:24 PM EDT
[#9]
I was thinking more along the lines of heat pipes - something like this from AAvid Thermacore. The rate and amount of heat that can be moved from the source is pretty impressive. We use some of their heat pipes in our thermal management applications and they have a demo kit comparing the thermal properties of their heat pipes compared with copper and the results are amazing. 
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 9:11:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
hehe... the question of what their barrel system actually does, and how it does it, has been hotly debated by people who either know science or think they do for many years and I won't try to repeat it here.  There are some patent docs available to dig into if one is so inclined, but the secret sauce recipe is still a closely guarded secret.  Suffice to say, if it was just insulating then it would be very easy to prove by monitoring the internal temperature of the barrel.  Various people have done that and there's no question at this point that the system does what they say it does.  In short, it moves heat out of the barrel and gets rid of it.  Here's the latest guy who's digging into it:  The New Rifleman and Teludyne Tech

So I would really doubt that they are just insulating the suppressor.  Did you guys see the image where they measured temperatures after 150 rounds?  It's in the 1st link.
View Quote
That sounds impressive.  How physically durable is the jacketed barrel setup to being manhandled?
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 10:48:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That sounds impressive.  How physically durable is the jacketed barrel setup to breing manhandled?
View Quote
All I know is what I've read on the Internet, but I would assume that it's quite durable--the sleeve is metal, and the filler material is some kind of composite that is hard, so I wouldn't think that it's physically vulnerable.

However, they are very responsive on FaceBook so you would get a better direct answer to that or any other question by asking there.

For what it's worth, Falkor gives a lifetime guarantee with their Dracos barrels--that ought to tell you something!
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 2:32:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
That sounds impressive.  How physically durable is the jacketed barrel setup to breing manhandled?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

During development the designer, Alan Adolphsen put his straightjacket system on an old Mauser 98. To test
how it would stand up to abuse he beat the barreled action on anvil swinging it like a baseball bat. He didn't
hurt his straightjacket but he ended up bending the Mauser receiver.........so its rugged.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 3:30:23 PM EDT
[#13]
They are using an aluminum/steel composite construction.  

To maximize the contact conductance between the steel inner bore sleeve and outer aluminum housing, they are using a pressure fit and a thermal contact paste - regardless of one's machining capabilities, a metal-metal interface will always have surface irregularities that limit the surface area contact and effectively acts as an insulator - thermal contact paste help to lessen the contact conduction effects.

The aluminum has a thermal diffusivity that is 10-20 times that of steel, that is to say that thermal energy diffuses through the material 10-20 times faster than through an equivalent thickness of steel.

Furthermore, the barrel has a larger outer diameter, which increases the surface area exposed to convection, increasing the overall heat transfer rate.

So, it's a matter of balancing the thermal optimization against mechanical strength and vibration.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 3:33:36 PM EDT
[#14]
They probably are using a chemical of some sort that either boils or sublimates to get rid of the heat.  Or water - when it is boiling it can never get hotter than its boiling point because the water absorbs huge amounts of heat to convert from water at 100c to steam at 100c.  Similar to putting an ablative inside a silencer(water, oil, gel, etc).  A water cooled machine gun will never get hotter than 100c unless you run out of water.  

The problem is that if you run out of the chemical you are using to get rid of heat then the gun will heat up extremely fast until failure, just like letting a boiler run out of water.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 4:21:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

To maximize the contact conductance between the steel inner bore sleeve and outer aluminum housing, they are using a pressure fit and a thermal contact paste - regardless of one's machining capabilities, a metal-metal interface will always have surface irregularities that limit the surface area contact and effectively acts as an insulator - thermal contact paste help to lessen the contact conduction effects.

The aluminum has a thermal diffusivity that is 10-20 times that of steel, that is to say that thermal energy diffuses through the material 10-20 times faster than through an equivalent thickness of steel.

Furthermore, the barrel has a larger outer diameter, which increases the surface area exposed to convection, increasing the overall heat transfer rate.

So, it's a matter of balancing the thermal optimization against mechanical strength and vibration.
View Quote
So glorified aluminum heatsink?
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 4:28:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, but the heat sink, in this case, adds the required mechanical strength to the system.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 4:51:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Interesting application which will never see widespread adoption...
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 4:57:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Interesting application which will never see widespread adoption...
View Quote
As always, the proof will be in the details.

But I remember reading how the SOCOM SURG program was very concerned about suppressor heat, so whoever figures it out first may find a market.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 1:37:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
So far the barrel... does as they say.

10 rounds sub moa group fired semi-auto.

Also the barrel radiates heat like crazy. I could feel heat on my face from the shooting posiiton, and that's the first time I have ever noticed that before.

Whatever they are doing with their suppressor... wew.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 4:48:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Found these on the gram.

Vid1

Vid2

Vid3

Vid4

Vid5

Source: Instagram @Scotg_

yeah i dont know how to post videos
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 7:33:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Those videos are pretty interesting.... #5 in particular.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 8:57:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 11:14:15 AM EDT
[#23]
interesting....

looking forward to more info
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 10:42:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
As always, the proof will be in the details.

But I remember reading how the SOCOM SURG program was very concerned about suppressor heat, so whoever figures it out first may find a market.
View Quote
Are you sure SOCOM was concerned with the heat in the can, which this tech helps with, or the can being a red hot muffler on the end of the rifle burning anything and anyone that touches it, which a suppressor cover would be good?
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 11:24:20 PM EDT
[#25]
The plot thickens....
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 8:48:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Are you sure SOCOM was concerned with the heat in the can, which this tech helps with, or the can being a red hot muffler on the end of the rifle burning anything and anyone that touches it, which a suppressor cover would be good?
View Quote
Without looking it up to refresh my memory, I think they were exploring options for reducing thermal signature.  Some rather esoteric ideas were being floated... Not sure if a cover really accomplishes much in that regard.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 11:13:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Notice he can't get the can off the gun in video 5?
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 2:21:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
I think the fact that he was still able to grab ahold of it after putting that many rounds through it says a lot about whatever technology they are using. I'm very interested in the specs and price if/when these are released.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 3:02:18 PM EDT
[#29]
DB test numbers on a 10.5" 5.56 dracos barrel.

Link Posted: 7/9/2017 12:24:18 PM EDT
[#30]
db numbers with what suppressor?
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 2:38:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

db numbers with what suppressor?
View Quote
The one we are taking about here--that image is from the guy's Instagram page, where the pics and videos came from.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 2:54:42 PM EDT
[#32]
MG suppressor contracts are in their future.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 2:55:31 PM EDT
[#33]
MG suppressor contracts are in their future.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 5:05:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Beyond suppressor use, if this new technology pans out, imagine its possibilities on reducing the thermal signature of our stealth airplanes.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 8:11:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Conservation of energy. Got it now, suppressor with tube that traps heat, opposite of their barrel jacket that dissipates heat. The barrel in the photo has their barrel jacket, this could be absorbing and helping to dissipate the heat from the can. However, the 1k heat in the can is now transferred to your barrel?
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 1:04:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Conservation of energy. Got it now, suppressor with tube that traps heat, opposite of their barrel jacket that dissipates heat. The barrel in the photo has their barrel jacket, this could be absorbing and helping to dissipate the heat from the can. However, the 1k heat in the can is now transferred to your barrel?
View Quote
I have no idea what they are doing, but why does it have to trap the heat?  Why can't it be dissipating it faster?
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 9:57:12 PM EDT
[#37]
I wonder if those are at ear or left of muzzle number.  If at ear, that is very impressive.  If left of muzzle, who cares?
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 8:50:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I have no idea what they are doing, but why does it have to trap the heat?  Why can't it be dissipating it faster?
View Quote
The picture shows the barrel, with a heat dissipating jacket, is white hot. So hot it's not on the little scale for temperature.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 12:49:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

The picture shows the barrel, with a heat dissipating jacket, is white hot. So hot it's not on the little scale for temperature.
View Quote
You are looking at the wrong picture.  The white hot barrel is a normal barrel and suppressor.  The one with the StraightJacket and this new suppressor is blue on the temp chart.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 1:25:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Seems to magically counteract the laws of thermodynamics.

I'll wait for independent review
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 1:31:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Seems to magically counteract the laws of thermodynamics.

I'll wait for independent review
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 9:49:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
Looks like the muzzle device just came loose and was spinning with the can.  It's probably a test unit and wasn't cranked on with Rocksett.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 12:45:31 AM EDT
[#43]
I'm still not clear if Teludyne is involved with this or just connected to the designer, but Scotg_ put out a couple more videos on Instagram about it recently:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BYR7RBmhk6S/?taken-by=scotg_

https://www.instagram.com/p/BYTdDn_hXKK/?taken-by=scotg_

The account is labeled as a range and training facility, so again I don't know exactly who's behind this design, but here are some excerpts from the comments:

-----
this technology should be an #industry #standard by 2018 as this technology will be licensed to companies that have there shit together for civilian sales... 
there are already companies that will soon use this tech and if the others don't they will soon become irrelevant, as this tech decreases blowback, won't burn you, and won't create a mirage. Just to name a few improvements this has over all other suppressors. But like they say you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink... Absolutely no gas out of the ejection port! This #suppressor tech. Works like a bore evacuator! Plus it won't burn you with db of 132 out of 10.5" barrel!
-----

The good news is it looks like Pete from TFB (That's GoLoud here, right?) is digging into it, so hopefully he'll get us some more details soon!
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 1:00:09 AM EDT
[#44]
No StraightJacket on that rifle so Teludyne may not be involved
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 2:51:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Good point, I wonder who will end up releasing this as it does look promising.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top