Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 3:57:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Tough crowd. I'm not sure what else one can do after inviting one and all to come oversee the testing themselves.  

Hopefully MAC and some other testers get their hands on these and we can get to the bottom of this.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 4:35:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 1:40:33 AM EDT
[#3]
To further explain my comments:

All of our suppressors and also competing suppressors we have shot on AR15s measure pretty much at levels I indicated earlier.

All tests done with correct equipment and made public, be it independent testers or manufacturers, show levels at similar levels.

I have not seen any reputable manufacturer claiming sub 120 dB at the shooters ear with 5.56 and do not also recall anyone saying sub 130 dB either.

I would advise anyone doubting me, email any U.S. manufacturer known to test correctly and then come back with their reply.

Why I comment on topics that do not concern our suppressors?

With suppressors having a history of stigmas, wrong information etc. attached, I do not want to see incorrect info spreading.

As it will do over the net easily.

Best Regards!

Tuukka Jokinen
Sales and Marketing Manager
Ase Utra sound suppressors
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 2:24:09 AM EDT
[#4]
So at this point we have a can that supposedly sounds awesome and guys inviting anyone at any time to test.

And we have other people and people who sell other suppressors calling BS in not soo direct fashion.

The questions are:
Does the can really work this well?
Are other manufacturers about to get outdated and are already in panic mode and on the attack under the guise of trying to protect the community?

Someone is going to have egg on their face and I'm sure we will find out soon.

Imo it could go either way. Sooner or later the technology must advance and new manufacturing techniques will produce quieter cans. Question is, is the time now?

These cans can't get into the hands of independent testers fast enough. I'm drooling to see independent testing.

I might be "that guy" but I'm sorta rooting for this can to be legit.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 2:47:58 AM EDT
[#5]
There is a limit on how quiet you can make a suppressor for super sonic calibres and that is low 130´s, that is not going to change.

And, even if the suppressors have a 3-5 dB difference 1 m left of the muzzle, for example at the shooters right ear they will be at similar levels = due to the ejection port noise.

Again, this just how it is and it has nothing to do with suppressor technology itself.

Best Regards!

Tuukka
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 8:48:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Maybe this graph can lend some reason for the skepticism.

As you can see, even transonic flight causes level in excess of 130dB

The reason for such a distance from the muzzle was to isolate bullet fight noise (caused by supersonic flight) from muzzle signature (hopefully defeated by use of a suppressor)
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 4:30:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks like a sweet can.

Would love to put one on my 14.5" upper and then build a new predator bolt action (a la Ruger 556 RPR with 14.5" barrel).

The good suppression with the short length and light weight would be sweet.

Keep the good stuff coming
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 6:16:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So at this point we have a can that supposedly sounds awesome and guys inviting anyone at any time to test.

And we have other people and people who sell other suppressors calling BS in not soo direct fashion.

The questions are:
Does the can really work this well?
Are other manufacturers about to get outdated and are already in panic mode and on the attack under the guise of trying to protect the community?

Someone is going to have egg on their face and I'm sure we will find out soon.

Imo it could go either way. Sooner or later the technology must advance and new manufacturing techniques will produce quieter cans. Question is, is the time now?

These cans can't get into the hands of independent testers fast enough. I'm drooling to see independent testing.

I might be "that guy" but I'm sorta rooting for this can to be legit.
View Quote
It would undoubtedly be the best performing can on the market if the claims being made are true. However, the claimed advancement would be such a giant leap forward in technology that people are reasonably raising questions about the validity of those claims. There seems to be the possibility that such a bombastic claim was made in the past that another model from the same brand was 10db quieter than a competitor. That was claim was tested and proven to be false.

Once this can gets into the hands of a 3rd party tester like MAC or SS, then either the doubt or the BS will be put to rest.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 7:02:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 7:08:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 7:47:16 AM EDT
[#11]
I am out of the office right now, can check for various down range figures for different calibres when I am back. But a .308 Win round measured at 1m from the bullet path is c. 150 dB.

With regards to the suppression at the ear,  as I have written earlier, it is not about the suppressor techology but what is the SPL caused by the weapon action.

For those reading this, there is enough info on the web also on this if one bothers to look.

Or again, ask any reputable U.S manufacturer and they will tell you the same

The AR15 is actually one of the better ones on  this, other assault rifle types are even louder due to the weapon.

You can see some examples here ( page 14 ) http://www.aseutra.fi/assets/files/Ase_Utra_military_and_law_enforcement_products.pdf

Tuukka
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 9:32:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 12:40:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the update.  Until you can get third party testing done, the next best thing would be to do a video that shows a baseline and tries to follow what MAC does.  For example, do a continuous video with no cuts that shows:

1. A close-up of the tape measure showing the meter mic is positioned correctly ( whatever the proper distance to the left of the muzzle, and 6" from the shooter's right ear.)

2. A close-up of the meter showing the readings for a 5 shot group unsuppressed

3. The readings for a 5 shot group with your product, at muzzle and ear

4. 5 shot groups with whatever popular competitors you can name and mount on the same gun, at muzzle and ear

That would go a long way toward reducing the reaction of disbelief you are getting.  At this point, from our perspective we have no way of knowing if your meter is even functioning properly!  So adding some points of reference would help a lot.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 1:33:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Mikesmith is right, you do an uncut video like that and it will go a long darn way, plus show additional integrity.

Not even hard to do, you folks look more than capable given your prior videos.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 7:49:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Steve (rangerwalker71) I wish you the best of luck with this I will subscribe to this because I am intrigued by this suppressor.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 10:45:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 11:34:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Excited for updates, hoping that vid comes out soon.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 9:09:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Excited for updates, hoping that vid comes out soon.
View Quote
Same here. I'd love to see that side-by-side comparison video.

I have a SAS Stainless Direct Thread Reaper. I like it. It's really quiet with my 6.8spc handloads. If this one performs close to advertised I'd buy one. Just need to see the video!!
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 1:11:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 7:42:22 PM EDT
[#20]
I did a quick AR15 bolt drop video today.
https://youtu.be/w3Cb8aw1Sd0
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 9:45:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
Thanks!  That's very useful.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 10:46:23 PM EDT
[#22]
When will we see some more meter tests of this can? I'm anxious to see it side by side with some competitors in comparable size.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 10:50:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
That is awesome, thank you!!  I figured that chambering a round would be quieter than dropping on an empty chamber.

I'm surprised that it was louder on the left though, not on the port side.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 11:13:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 11:02:01 PM EDT
[#25]
It absolutely does not show that.  It shows the opposite, that just like we all suspected and the other suppressor manufacturer stated many times, 118db is impossible from an AR.  Dropping the bolt is louder than that.  

I'm not surprised the video with other suppressors is taking so long, because it will clearly show this as well.

Now this is no reason to be disheartened as even a 2-3db decrease over other leading manufacturers on an AR at the ear would be huge.  I hope that is the case and I hope your video shows just that.  But it is safe to say the 118db claim was and is bunk, and was at best made in error for whatever reason.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 11:08:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'm surprised that it was louder on the left though, not on the port side.
View Quote
I think on the left side it is picking up the sound of the bolt hold open button unlatching, on the right, it is picking up the bolt close.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 11:41:19 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm no expert, but I think we should remember that there are a lot of variables in play when comparing one person's DB number to another's. What really matters is when variables are controlled and you try to get real A/B comparisons.  Until that is done we should avoid drawing absolute conclusions.

Ideally, the same meter would be used for all testing and everything would be measured in one continuous session using the same rifle for everything.  Add the "drop the bolt on empty chamber and over loaded magazine" to the testing protocol listed earlier! 
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 7:50:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 8:10:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Your in VT correct?? Next week i hope to have a independent test. this is planned for Plainfield NH. YOU ARE INVITED TO COME WATCH AND SHOOT THE CLAYMORE.  You will see that this can is as good as i have stated.

WHAT SAY YOU??????

Thanks
Steve
RTLW
816-718-9489
View Quote
And boom goes the dynamite.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 10:29:55 AM EDT
[#30]
I say the burden of proof is on you, not me.  Lots of us have work, lives, family, etc, there is no way the vast majority of us can come shoot a can 3-7 hours of driving round trip at a minimum.  I and many other locals appreciate the invite I'm sure, and I'll spread the word, but I wouldn't count on a huge turnout. And the only thing that could really be confirmed is that there is less blowback than other cans.  Unless there is a meter running and testing done in front of us with competitors cans, we won't get any info we don't already have.  And if you do intend to do that, then you just need to film it and put the video up here (as promised) and boom, your claims or proven or not (which again, I am hopeful).

Seeing you run to the same excuse over and over "come test for yourself" whenever the obvious is brought up is very worrisome at best.  As has been shown, it is simply physically impossible to get an AR to 118db at the right ear.  The bolt closing is louder than that.  A suppressor physically cannot slow down chambering of the round in a fashion where it would still feed but be quieter.  As I said, don't stick by impossible claims, even 134db at the right ear would be a HUGE deal and folks would be very pleased.  Saying "come shoot for yourself' isn't any kind of defense of your claims. On the face of it, it seems nice.  But in reality it is something very few people can take advantage of, and again unless the same testing that you could easily video is done, we don't learn anything.  Furthermore, from a marketing perspective it is strictly worse than just releasing a scientifically valid test video substantiating your claims.  Help yourselves out, do that instead of making friendly but largely empty offers.

So again, video the event as you have claimed you would, and if it performs against competitors the way you claim it will I'm sure many of use will be queuing up for one.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 9:09:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Boy this thread sure has brought out the hate and discontent crowd.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 11:33:09 PM EDT
[#32]
No it really hasn't.  It has brought reasonable skepticism and requests for proof, and both have been asked in far nicer ways than one normally finds on the net.  if you think this is hate, you must be very sheltered.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 11:42:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Boy this thread sure has brought out the hate and discontent crowd.
View Quote
This thread is sissy stuff compared to 10 years ago.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 7:27:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 10:19:40 AM EDT
[#35]
Well I cannot say I expected any other response, but I was hopeful.  Oh well.

I look forward to the video regardless, and if it shows even close results to the claims perhaps I will make the time to test one before buying.

....and just FYI, no one in their right mind will be throwing stones if you just do the video as has been laid out ITT.  Not cuts, same host, competitors cans included, etc.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 10:51:29 AM EDT
[#36]
I guess my YouTube channel isn't big enough to garner a response lol
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 1:38:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
You need Giant Red FontTM to be noticed.

All anyone needs is a video testing this silencer alongside another known quantity. Something that should've been easy to provide by now considering these guys have a meter. Instead, we get invitations to come halfway across the country to shoot it next to something else because the video won't do it justice.

The video will do it justice, that's the gold standard for showing proof of your test. And as everyone knows, there need to be a few cans tested at the same time so a good comparison can be drawn due to day-to-day environmental changes.

130.8 dB at the muzzle and "well below 120 dB" at the ear is the claim so far. I believe people would buy this can left and right with those numbers given the published length and weight, provided they can see the proof.

Why not meter it next to an Omega, Recce 5, and M4-2000? Three very popular cans whose performance is already a known quantity. That's a hell of a lot easier than someone coming out to you guys, and the repeated invitation to come see for ourselves rather than simply showing the test comes across poorly.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 4:50:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 4:51:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 6:13:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Where are you located? we have had a issue in the past with people testing out products. Tim or i want to be present when the testing is done.
That is the policy of SAS and Colonial Armory.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Where are you located? we have had a issue in the past with people testing out products. Tim or i want to be present when the testing is done.
North Carolina

And the underlined sounds very sketchy to me.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 11:20:36 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 12:33:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
We're you once located in Corpus Christi, TX?
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 2:37:32 PM EDT
[#43]
I was interested at 12.6 oz.  If it sounds as good, if not better, than an 18oz Griffin Armament SPR, its what my SPR build needs.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 2:47:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
North Carolina

View Quote
Knowing people in general and in this industry it doesn't to me. At all.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 2:48:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
North Carolina

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
North Carolina

Apparently you've never watched the OSS video trashing the Surfire SOCOM

Inventors/Manufacturers have every right to protect their product.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 3:14:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
North Carolina

They also have every right to only let people test it who will say nice things, which is what 90% of YouTube gun reviews are.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 6:40:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
North Carolina

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
North Carolina

Why?  It's reasonable in this industry to worry about testing protocols being followed.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 7:36:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Here is a pretty straight forward video of a 223 Ultra 7 on a 14.5" upper. No adjustable gas block or anything. The 223 Ultra 7 suppresses very well.
Here's how the shots go
Unsuppressed 165.5  165  164.5  165.5  165.5

223 Ultra 7 Milspec  132  128.5  130.5  130  128  130

Eport 6"   158  155.5 159.25 156.25

Left side   141.5  140  140  141  

eport  160  159

MilSpec  129.5  132  130  134  132

left side  141  142.5

Eport  160   160

Averages
Unsuppressed  165.2
MilSpec  130.6
Left Side   140.6
Eport  158.5

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=-d-4_9lRSfQ
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 8:59:01 PM EDT
[#49]
View Quote
Made hot: https://youtu.be/-d-4_9lRSfQ

Thunder Beast 223 Ultra 7 shooters ear and MilSpec sound test.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 9:07:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top