Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/27/2017 11:40:55 AM EDT
Here is an article from today's USA TODAY. The NRA and ASA invited the press to the NRA's shooting range in Fairfax to give them a demonstration with Suppressors. The point of which was to show them how suppressors are NOT actually anywhere near silent.

Anyway, its sponsor, GOP Rep. Jeff Duncan of South Carolina, said he "expects to have it [the HPA] on the House floor for a vote in July."

Here is the whole article:
What shooting with the NRA revealed about silencers - USA TODAY 5/27/17
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 11:52:04 AM EDT
[#1]
No it won't.  Some other excuse will come up
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 11:57:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Even if it does, and they pass it. What about the Senate?
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 12:03:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Talk is still cheap.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 12:08:15 PM EDT
[#4]
"First 100 days, derp, derp."
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 12:14:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 12:18:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The chances of it passing in the current (2017-2018) congress are essentially zero in spite of the propaganda ASA is fostering. First, the Senate will make many changes (none of which will involve a tax refund) which will then have to be reconciled by the House. Second, we do not have the votes in the senate to limit debate or override a filibuster. Third, in 1934 when Congress passed the tax, $200 was 7 ounces of gold. The concern is that they may decide to increase the tax to keep up with inflation.

There are 10 Democrat senators up for re-election in 2018 in states that went for Trump in 2016. Whether they get on the HPA bandwagon depends on how vocal their constituents are.

What we can hope for is a speeding up of the transfer process, but the bottom line is that if one wants a suppressor, now is the best time to buy.
View Quote
The Doc nails it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 12:26:13 PM EDT
[#7]
As I have previously written many times, a refund is a dream that ain't going to come to fruition.

But, imo, the bill will pass both the house and senate. This year. As part of a larger bill.

Zero chance of a stamp tax increase.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 12:32:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The chances of it passing in the current (2017-2018) congress are essentially zero in spite of the propaganda ASA is fostering. First, the Senate will make many changes (none of which will involve a tax refund) which will then have to be reconciled by the House. Second, we do not have the votes in the senate to limit debate or override a filibuster. Third, in 1934 when Congress passed the tax, $200 was 7 ounces of gold. The concern is that they may decide to increase the tax to keep up with inflation.

There are 10 Democrat senators up for re-election in 2018 in states that went for Trump in 2016. Whether they get on the HPA bandwagon depends on how vocal their constituents are.

What we can hope for is a speeding up of the transfer process, but the bottom line is that if one wants a suppressor, now is the best time to buy.
View Quote
You guys have layaway?
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 12:50:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Dog and pony pablum for a few of the 2nd fans. Wake me when those extremely dangerous baby killing instruments are approved by both houses of congress and signed by Trump.

I won't hold my breath.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 12:55:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Do not hold your breath.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 2:37:51 PM EDT
[#11]
So let us all stop buying silencers now since passage is later this year.

These ASA assholes really need to STFU.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 2:45:05 PM EDT
[#12]
A tax rebate probably will never happen. Perhaps letting an individual transfer his already paid tax on a SBS or SBR might.
Once they have your money it will never leave them.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 3:08:07 PM EDT
[#13]
I'll believe it when it happens.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 3:32:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 3:55:37 PM EDT
[#15]
I could see the chance of a tax increase to meet inflation once everything is brought to light over the HPA passage as stands.  Wishful thinking on the HPA any time soon with odds at zero to none.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 4:34:29 PM EDT
[#16]
A more realistic approach would be, to apply for a special nfa license that says your good to go. Renewal every  3 to 5 years, then you can buy your nfa items, pay the $200 tax with purchase and walk out with your toy.

They are not going to give up that $200, if anything it will be raised.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 5:04:52 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm sure that the form 4  that SS filed for me and check cashed on 2-5-17 will be stamp in hand before this is passed.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 2:26:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I wish you were wrong but I agree with you. I think the democrats are going to shit themselves fighting this tooth and nail. I don't see it passing although I really hope it does. Right now I'm just buying what I want. If it somehow passes and I don't get my tax stamp refunds o well, I'll have my toys. Actually the only thing I want right now that I can't really buy is one of your 10/22 take down suppressed barrels. Waiting for silencershop to get another shipment.

Quoted:
A more realistic approach would be, to apply for a special nfa license that says your good to go. Renewal every  3 to 5 years, then you can buy your nfa items, pay the $200 tax with purchase and walk out with your toy.

This is something I've said before. Give me the option of having like a C&R license but for modern guns. I'd be all over that.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 6:57:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
That would probably have more of an actual chance in hell than the HPA unfortunately. I wouldn't like it over the HPA but I could live with it considering its far better than the current routine. Even drop the $200 per purchase and make it a $50 to apply/renew the NFA "permit".
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 7:55:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
I think this is the most realistic idea, as oppose to trying to pass the HPA or repeal the NFA.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 12:10:47 AM EDT
[#21]
A bunch of nay-sayers here.  I have hope OP.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 6:34:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
A bunch of nay-sayers here.  I have hope OP.
View Quote
I've always had hope. But hope doesn't get anything done.

If by some chance the HPA makes it through the house and on to the senate, I'd be concerned it had some poison pill attached inside.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 9:14:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

If by some chance the HPA makes it through the house and on to the senate, I'd be concerned it had some poison pill attached inside.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A bunch of nay-sayers here. I have hope OP.

I have hope HPA will pass but, considering the basic dysfunction of the legislative branch of the federal government right now my expectations are low.

The Republicans long promised legislative agenda is basically dead in the water so, what makes me think HPA will get passed if none of their existing campaign promises move forward?

Call me a pessimist or skeptic but, with Congress basically paralyzed with Russia probes and accusations, failed attempts at repealing Obama-care or even basic healthcare reform, the immigration issues, the 'wall' distraction, and a rancorous budget starting, the HPA is basically dead on arrival.

HPA is basically turning into a well-intentioned red herring that is paralyzing the suppressor industry.  We have already seen what this has done to Silencer Co.  How many others will the Osborne effect significantly hurt as the general gun buying public stops purchasing suppressors after a strong renaissance after wide general acceptance for hunting and general recreations purposes?
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 9:40:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'll believe it when it happens.
View Quote
same here, as others said I'm not holding my breathe. If it happens great! But I doubt it will and I'm not waiting around to buy a suppressor in hopes that the gov will do the right thing.

I didn't vote for trump because of the HPA, I voted for him as he was the least danger to our nation and he does semi fair pro gun and wants to defend our borders, not open them up to criminals like killary. Honestly if the HPA passes it's just icing on the political cake.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 11:18:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 12:00:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
Go get your FFL and SOT. There you go.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 1:45:52 PM EDT
[#27]
But but but but but ... we all signed a petition.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 1:47:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Not holding my breath
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 3:39:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Go get your FFL and SOT. There you go.
View Quote
It would be neat if an individual/ corp/ trust could get the SOT without the FFL though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top