Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/26/2017 10:47:30 AM EDT
Anyone else shoot Remington thunderbolt?

Plinking in the back yard yesterday and it felt like a tiny sandblaster was mounted to the back of my gun. It was terrible. The ammo sounded ok out of my M&Pc with the spectre II. I have never shot the gun unsuppressed and its had probably 2.5-3K thru it. It was super dirty before but cleaned it today at work. Hopefully that will remedy the issue. If not I guess this ammo is just that terrible which sucks because I have a bunch of it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 11:14:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I think you have a recipe for lots of crud out of the ejection port.

High velocity ammo, short barrel, suppressor.

JPK
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:17:44 PM EDT
[#2]
All the Rem 22LR ammo I've shot is pretty nasty.  Rather inconsistent too.  Last time I shot a bunch of it thru a pistol, I took the can off, tapped the back end of the can on the table, and a good bit of unburned powder came out.  

On the bright side you can save the powder and burn some fire ants with it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:44:26 PM EDT
[#3]
It will probably run better now that it's been cleaned.

As far as quiet operation and slide function without malfunction goes. I have never shot anything better than Remington Subsonic. I'm down to my last two bricks and have not been able to find it anywhere for years. When it does becomes available for auction the price usually runs over $ 14.00 per 50rd box. At that price I'm not interested.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:50:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It will probably run better now that it's been cleaned.

As far as quiet operation and slide function without malfunction goes. I have never shot anything better than Remington Subsonic. I'm down to my last two bricks and have not been able to find it anywhere for years. When it does becomes available for auction the price usually runs over $ 14.00 per 50rd box. At that price I'm not interested.
View Quote
I shoot regular bulk-pack ammo in my M&P 22c because bulk-pack is still subsonic in a pistol.  I ONLY use subsonic for the rifles and then it's really not necessary.  "Standard Velocity" CCI 40gr ammo is comfortably subsonic in a 16" barrel and ALL of my threaded .22 rifles have a 16" barrel.  If you want to stay subsonic, the Gemtech ammo seems like the best choice.  I have about two bricks left over and have not shot it in a pistol.  No need to.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 4:01:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Went home on my lunch break and tried the clean M&Pc with the same ammo and it was much better but still had blow back.

I also went thru most of the ammo I had on hand and shot and compared them to each other and was very surprised with my findings.

from left to right is how I rated them.
picture uploader

Quietest to loudest

Aguila Subsonic----------------------Very quiet and cycled reliably (funny smell tho)
CCI Standard velocity --------------- Gold Standard to which to judge by.
Aguila Standard Velocity
Winchester Western-----------------This one really surprised me. Advertised velocity of 1280FPS and is copper washed HP. (The Best sounding bulk pack)
Federal Auto Match------------------Sounded the close to the same as the above but exposed lead bullet so put behind the Winchester
Federal Target 1080FPS
CCI Mini Mag
American Eagle---------------------This and Blazer sounded the same but since this was copper washed I put it above the Blazer
Blazer ----------------------------This has always been my favorite plinking ammo (before I had any suppressors) Still like it even tho its loud.  
Remington Golden Bullet-------------Dirty and loud
Remington 22 Thunderbolt ---------Dirtier and loud
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 5:05:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 5:16:49 PM EDT
[#7]
In my P22 using my Gemtech with Remington Subsonic. I hear the hammer hit and action of the pistol extract and chamber a new round and the bullet impact. Better than Hollywood quiet. There is plenty of other ammo I can and do use. But the Remington Subsonic is by far the quietest in my setup. 
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 5:19:21 PM EDT
[#8]
What do you hear when you use the Standard Velocity CCI 40gr ammo? 

Have you tried CCI quiet with a suppressor? 
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 12:29:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 8:51:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What do you hear when you use the Standard Velocity CCI 40gr ammo? 

Have you tried CCI quiet with a suppressor? 
View Quote
I guess you were asking me this?

I have the CCI quiet but didnt think it would cycle the action so I didn't try it.

The CCI standard velocity was louder than the Agulia subsonic.

The CCI SV is quiet but has more of a pop than the Aguila Subsonic.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top