Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/26/2017 9:54:20 AM EDT
This will be my first NFA anything.  

I wont have the means to trial and error or even add to the collection for awhile.

I want something that is reliable and relatively lightweight but also good and quiet.  

I am willing to spend a la little extra to get what I truly want but cant go extreme.

I am running an 8.3" Ballistic Advantage Performance Series barrel.

Likely going to be a PDW-ish build with a PDW brace.

I am trying to figure this out so I can just buy the correct muzzle device now and get the process started while I finish up the build.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 10:04:28 AM EDT
[#1]
So many good cans, I don't think you can go wrong with the BIG names. But......

I like Griffin Alpha/Paladin for 300blk.  User serviceable makes sense for lots of subsonic shooting. Plus, love taper mount options.

Silencerco omega, with direct thread and flat endcap it's pretty short and light.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 10:05:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Supers/Subs or both?

Are you going to try to tuck it under a hand-guard?

are you going to use it on other hosts?
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 10:05:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Do you want short?

From shortest to longest.

Rugged Razor
Dead Air Sandman S
Griffin RECCE 7
Rugged Surge
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 10:18:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Something like the Omega may be a good choice in terms of size, weight, and performance on .300 BLK.

This will be your first can? Any idea what other hosts you'd be looking to use?
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 10:29:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Supers/Subs or both?

Are you going to try to tuck it under a hand-guard?

are you going to use it on other hosts?
View Quote
Likely both. supers and subs.  

I know they are different bullets for different social situations

I am looking at probably 8-8.5" handguards so I will say it will be no more than partially under the handguard.

Think half or less.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 10:30:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Something like the Omega may be a good choice in terms of size, weight, and performance on .300 BLK.

View Quote
I have a 10.5 .223 Wylde upper that it MAY see.  

But for now will likely stay on the BLK.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 10:31:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Do you want short?

From shortest to longest.

Rugged Razor
Dead Air Sandman S
Griffin RECCE 7
Rugged Surge
View Quote
Yes I would like to keep the length to a minimum.  but do not want to sacrifice sound quality too much if possible.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 11:00:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Omega direct thread with flat cap would be short and light.  Also offers alot of versatility since it's gonna be your only suppresor for a while.

Quietest right now for 300blk look at the sig titanium offerings.  (Although I think they are a little long for a pistol AR).

The 'Q' suppressors look like a good 300blk choice also because they are fatter at 1.7" diameter like the sigs.  The larger diameter helps quiet subsonic 300 even better. But this would limit choices for rails if your planning to tuck it under the handgaurd.

The Omega 9k and 45k can be used on 300 sub and supers plus pistols.  These wont be as quiet as a dedicated rifle can but they would be compact and super light.  

Lots of good choices and have fun researching.  If you know anyone with a suppressor try to listen to it before you purchase.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 11:03:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 11:58:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have a Colt 6721

and a 10.3 .223 Wylde pistol

and a 9mm AR pistol.  

I have considered one for handguns but I am not sure I want to be moving the suppressor back and forth off handgun and rifle/pistol a lot.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:22:03 PM EDT
[#11]
An Omega with a Key-mo mount or Sandman S if you want to go under the hand guard.

If not I'd throw the Razor or Surge into the mix.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:57:33 PM EDT
[#12]
YHM Phantom ULT
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 2:01:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 3:13:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Lots of love for the Rugged and Omega

Is it weird if I say I don't like the looks of the Omega?

I also am a little intrigued by the tubeless designs of the Sig and Q stuff.

MAC did a review on the Sig 762 and it was VERY quiet.  So that also a possibility.  

I think Kevin Brittingham and his products are going to be benchmarks in my opinion.

The SIG and Q are both from his brain in different ways from what I can tell.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 3:32:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 3:41:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Lots of love for the Rugged and Omega

Is it weird if I say I don't like the looks of the Omega?

I also am a little intrigued by the tubeless designs of the Sig and Q stuff.

MAC did a review on the Sig 762 and it was VERY quiet.  So that also a possibility.  

I think Kevin Brittingham and his products are going to be benchmarks in my opinion.

The SIG and Q are both from his brain in different ways from what I can tell.  
View Quote
If you want the quietest possible .300 BLK setup then a big Sig can will be hard to beat. Remember though this thing is 9" and 1.75" OD so it's not an ideal suppressor for other hosts like a 5.56 SBR where you may value a smaller profile. With suppressors there is always a trade off and prioritizing what you want it to do and can help narrow down what you want/need. I have a Sandman S and Sig SRD762Ti to take care of the hard use/smaller and maximum suppression .30 cal needs respectively. I like shooting .300 BLK but I exclusively shoot subsonic so quiet as possible was the goal. On something like 5.56 weight/durability are more of a factor as the round is inherently loud. Don't worry if this is your first can because it won't be your last. You'll soon start buying niche products that excel in a certain category.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 3:45:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Anybody know any thing about Mack Bros?

Their 762S looks good.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 4:32:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I've listened to and shot the Sig 762 can on a 300 Blk MCX and it was spooky quiet. Sounded really, really good. 

I chose the Omega mostly for versatility and aesthetics - for what I'm envisioning, I dunno if the baseball bat sized Sig or Q cans will really fit for what I'm wanting. But the performance can't be argued with. 
View Quote
Anyone who owns both or has shot the Omega vs Sig 762 on 300blk subsonic.  I know the Sig is quieter but how much so?  I seen the Military Arms review of the Sig and Mac compared the Omega on meter and in the video the Omega had an almost 10db greater FRP than it's subsequent shots and those were still about 5db louder than the Sig. I didn't realize the Omega had that bad of a FRP.  I know the Sig is a longer can but from all I've seen the Omega is decent for it's trade off in being light weight and shorter length.  Thanks
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 4:08:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Anyone who owns both or has shot the Omega vs Sig 762 on 300blk subsonic.  I know the Sig is quieter but how much so?  I seen the Military Arms review of the Sig and Mac compared the Omega on meter and in the video the Omega had an almost 10db greater FRP than it's subsequent shots and those were still about 5db louder than the Sig. I didn't realize the Omega had that bad of a FRP.  I know the Sig is a longer can but from all I've seen the Omega is decent for it's trade off in being light weight and shorter length.  Thanks
View Quote
I think FRP is going to be very ammo and barrel length dependent.

Just got my Omega and tested it this weekend.  No FRP with subs on 300blk that I could detect.

My 300blk is 10.5 inch barrel with the SiCo brake.  I was using the ASR mount.

Worked very well on 6.8spc and 300BLK supers also.  POI shift for the 6.8 was under an inch.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 4:24:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I think FRP is going to be very ammo and barrel length dependent.

Just got my Omega and tested it this weekend.  No FRP with subs on 300blk that I could detect.

My 300blk is 10.5 inch barrel with the SiCo brake.  I was using the ASR mount.

Worked very well on 6.8spc and 300BLK supers also.  POI shift for the 6.8 was under an inch.
View Quote
Thanks,  I thought a 10db FRP was stretching things from others experiences I've read.

Here's the video of the Omega vs Sig 762 with the 10db FRP from the Omega on 300blk

video
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 11:38:17 AM EDT
[#21]
I am narrowing things down to a Rugged Razor, and the Sandman S, and the Mack Brothers 762S

Are any of these decent choices?  

Am I overlooking any?
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 1:57:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I am narrowing things down to a Rugged Razor, and the Sandman S, and the Mack Brothers 762S

Are any of these decent choices?  

Am I overlooking any?
View Quote
I'm not sure any of those will be particularly quiet cans. I like my Sandman a lot and wouldn't mind a Razor in the stable
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 6:46:03 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a Surge on my 8" 300 blk sbr now and it is quiet in the one and short configuration. I'm waiting on a Razor which will be dedicated to that rifle. I saw a review of the Surge short and the Razor on a 300 blk shooting subs and the guys shooting said it was not much difference db wise between the two.

Personally I like the Rugged cans because of the mount and they are built like a brick shit house. I've heard from numerous sources that their cs is top notch as well if there ever is an issue with their cans or mounts.

I swap the Surge between several hosts and there is zero poi shift. i was concerned about this at first but I've been swapping it a lot lately between the 300 blk which I use for hd and pest control at home and a Tikka 260. My zero never changes on either rifle so I'm glad that I'll be getting another great can when the Razor is free.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 7:58:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I'm not sure any of those will be particularly quiet cans. I like my Sandman a lot and wouldn't mind a Razor in the stable
View Quote
Ok given my parameters  @bradpierson26

Which ones should I be looking at like I said its my first and I want to do it right the first time.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:12:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Ok given my parameters  @bradpierson26

Which ones should I be looking at like I said its my first and I want to do it right the first time.
View Quote
Not Brad, but if it was my first can, I'd go with the Omega. It sounds great on a 300blk, is lightweight, comes with both direct thread and QD mount, and there's a $200 Silencerco store credit through June 30th.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:46:45 PM EDT
[#26]
762sdn6 sounds great on 300blk. And they're cheap now days. Mount might not be the best but it isn't the worst. I haven't had issues with the 51t. I love my 8.2" ar with the sdn6. Really quiet
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:11:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Depending on the distance to your gas block, Amtac may have an interesting option.  Most of it goes over the barrel, and it only extends about 3.7" past the barrel.  I haven't seen any independent reviews or metering, but it's on my short list just because of the minimal increase in length.  I know they showed it on their FaceBook page on a 10" barrel--may be worth checking out.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:37:51 PM EDT
[#28]
More I look at Omega it really is a nice can also.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:52:01 PM EDT
[#29]
I currently have a Saker 7.62 for my 300blk. I plan on replacing it with a TBAC Ultra 7, possibly a 5. Expensive, but shorter than most of the choices already given and I want to believe lighter and potentially quieter. 
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 10:08:52 PM EDT
[#30]
I'll go against the grain. SiCo Hybrid since you can only afford one can and have many potential platforms.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 10:16:54 PM EDT
[#31]
The Omega still ranks well in the "what you get for size/weight" and versatility categories.  If that's what's most important to you, then it's a great choice.  I really like mine.

I've pretty much shot it exclusively with flat endcaps, both 300blk and 5.56, and think the tone is nice on each.   My only POI shift is directly to 6:00 on my SR15, which seems to attributed to the relatively lightweight barrel.  It's been repeatable.  I've shot 223 at night, and there was no muzzle flash signature with AR223 ammo, haven't tried any others.  I've not had any issues with the ASR mounts.  I tend to hit the mounting contact flats with a bit of oil prior to shooting and they've always come off easily, even after cooling.  It's simple to take apart.  I have no complaints and would likely make the same choice today.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 11:29:23 AM EDT
[#32]
I vote omega for versatility and subsonic 300blk performance
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 5:30:48 PM EDT
[#33]
How's about what the military uses for its 5.56 & 7.62?

Probably a little less biased opinion.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 5:50:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
Do you want the worst can for 300blk? Because that's how you get the worst can for 300blk
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 6:18:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Do you want the worst can for 300blk? Because that's how you get the worst can for 300blk
View Quote
Yeah even I know that LOL

I dont want to source my can from the lowest possible bidder.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 9:40:37 PM EDT
[#36]
8.3" + Omega is an excellent combo.

The Razor is an excellent can, but can't touch the Omega for dB reduction

Link Posted: 5/30/2017 8:14:08 AM EDT
[#37]
My experience with cans for 300blk on 8" barrel:

Quietest to loudest

Sandman L
SDN6
Omega

I was very dissapointed by the Omega and very surprised by the Sandman.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 8:36:22 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
My experience with cans for 300blk on 8" barrel:

Quietest to loudest

Sandman L
SDN6
Omega

I was very dissapointed by the Omega and very surprised by the Sandman.
View Quote
Silencer shop has some good deals on the Sandman L

The S has my attention because of the shorter length.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 9:32:41 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Silencer shop has some good deals on the Sandman L

The S has my attention because of the shorter length.
View Quote
I have the Sandman S and while I like it for the mounts and it's tough but wouldn't be my 1st choice for 300blk because it's a loud suppressor.  Good thing is it does a good job reducing back pressure.  

Sandman L would be quiet but your getting into long/heavy for a small gun.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 9:44:59 AM EDT
[#40]
I agree that the Sandman S is a good can but not ideal for .300 BLK if you're looking for good suppression. it is incredibly well made however and great for 5.56 SBRs where it can take the abuse and take the "edge" off.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 10:30:16 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
YHM Phantom ULT
View Quote
Yeah I was gonna say YHM LT but you done one better.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 5:09:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Keep em coming I am researching them all.  

The omega sounds like a best of all possible worlds kind of rig.  

I also like the attachment systems of the Razor and Mack Brothers a lot.  

I understand how the NFAids works now because you always need one more to do what the other does not.  

LOL
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 8:09:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Your only buying 1 can and not going under the handguard get the Surge. Can go multiple lengths, different endcaps, great mount, best warranty. Suppression levels are great. I have a surge on my 300. If I only had 1 rifle can that's the one. If I had 3 id get the surge and the sandmans, oh wait that's what I did.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 9:32:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Your only buying 1 can and not going under the handguard get the Surge. Can go multiple lengths, different endcaps, great mount, best warranty. Suppression levels are great. I have a surge on my 300. If I only had 1 rifle can that's the one. If I had 3 id get the surge and the sandmans, oh wait that's what I did.
View Quote
Agree on the surge,  different lengths and compatible up to 300 RUM
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 11:30:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Find a store where you can play with the Sandman mount, even if it might be a touch louder, i think you'll love the mounting system.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 11:47:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
So many good cans, I don't think you can go wrong with the BIG names. But......

I like Griffin Alpha/Paladin for 300blk.  User serviceable makes sense for lots of subsonic shooting. Plus, love taper mount options.

Silencerco omega, with direct thread and flat endcap it's pretty short and light.
View Quote
There is a lot of logic in this post. 
Subsonic 300 is dirty. Almost 22lr dirty, just without the lead. 
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 2:27:29 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
8.3" + Omega is an excellent combo.

The Razor is an excellent can, but can't touch the Omega for dB reduction
View Quote
That is most certainly true.   The Omega sounds better on basically everything by a noticeable margin.

However, after shooting both with flash hider mounts and looking down the bore...   I'd say Razor for shorter barrels, Omega for longer barrels.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 5:44:37 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SOCOM doesn't source from the lowest bidder (unless you think FN, HK and AAC are cheap junk .gov contractors)...
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 9:29:28 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

SOCOM doesn't source from the lowest bidder (unless you think FN, HK and AAC are cheap junk .gov contractors)...
View Quote
You quoted the wrong person. I never mentioned govt procurement practices but I'll stand behind my statement that cans that are good for Mil probably aren't the quietest for 300blk civilian use
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 11:28:29 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
There is a lot of logic in this post. 
Subsonic 300 is dirty. Almost 22lr dirty, just without the lead. 
View Quote
I do like that it is serviceable but not sure how important that really is.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top