Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/26/2017 8:40:15 AM EDT
Aside from these AAC shims, Have any of you guys found any narrow profile shims? I would like to just buy a bulk pack to have from Mcmaster Carr, Grainger, MSC but they tend to be 7/8 or larger diameter.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/299131/advanced-armament-co-aac-barrel-shim-kit-308-winchester-762x51mm-ar-10-lr-308-pack-of-6
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:21:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Gemtech shims also have a pretty low OD IIRC
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:24:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Gemtech shims also have a pretty low ID IIRC
View Quote
ya, the ones I have from Gemtech seem smalll
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:42:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 1:23:06 PM EDT
[#4]
The smaller-diameter shims tend to be destroyed when I try to time the brake.  I like the Precision Armament accu-washers.  They are 7/8" diameter, yes, but they are thick enough that they don't self-destruct.  You may need a thin wrench to install your brake.  Why do you need the small diameter shims?  Are you trying to hide the shims?  Having trouble installing them?  Don't like the washers self-destructing?
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 1:58:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Gemtech shims have been my go to after experimenting with the cheap larger ones that like to deform under torque.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 3:23:33 PM EDT
[#6]
The reason I like the smaller shims is for lower diameter barrels. Nowadays its more common to have 5/8 threads on barrels that are .75 or even smaller. The larger shims end up all mangled in my experience.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top