Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/26/2017 1:11:51 AM EDT
I am looking at replacing the Daniel defense barrel on my SBR as it is severely over gassed. Even with the Gem Tech selectable carrier set to suppressed the gun still runs normal.

I am thinking about picking up the Ballistic Advantage 11.3 Hanson profile barrel.my only concern is that this barrel is more of a lightweight barrel. Has anyone here every used on the Hanson barrels with a suppressor? Was there a large POI shift?

What about the gas port size? Did the barrel seem to properly gassed?
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 1:22:20 AM EDT
[#1]
I would go with Adjustable Gas Block first before replacing barrel if that barrel is accurate. Much more control than the Gem Tech selectable carrier
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 1:35:10 AM EDT
[#2]
I would get an adjustable gas block too. Technically it is better to have too big a hole for gas than too small. You can easily make the hole smaller with an adjustable gas block. An adjustable carrier isn't nearly as effective in my mind since the gas is still getting to the carrier key.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:03:59 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a BA Hanson 10.3" barrel in one of my builds.  Not many rounds through it yet but flawless function with or without a Surefire can.  I'm just running an H2 with a standard carbine spring.  I do have a gas buster in it.  Zero gas to the face and the rifle is smooth.  It behaves a lot like my ADCO chopped 10.3's and they have a .072 gas port so I'm assuming that's what BA is using.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 7:36:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would go with Adjustable Gas Block first before replacing barrel if that barrel is accurate. Much more control than the Gem Tech selectable carrier
View Quote
The Daniel defense barrel I have is sort of accurate. Nothing great, but not too bad either. Probably around a 2 MOA barrel. So, I am not totally against replacing it.

Looking around online it doesn't really seem that the barrel profile would be a problem with a suppressor.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 11:31:23 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm running the Hanson 8.3" 300BLK barrel suppressed with a Sandman Ti.  It hasn't been real accurate for me yet, including with Barnes 110s, but I'm going to keep tinkering.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 1:48:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm running the Hanson 8.3" 300BLK barrel suppressed with a Sandman Ti.  It hasn't been real accurate for me yet, including with Barnes 110s, but I'm going to keep tinkering.
View Quote
Interesting. All of their barrels have the 1 MOA guarantee.

I ended up ordering the barrel. I guess I will see how it does.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 3:48:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Interesting. All of their barrels have the 1 MOA guarantee.
View Quote
Yes, but they are, in my opinion, very unhelpful at recommending *which* ammo will produce that 1MOA.  It's their freaking barrel, so they should know.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 5:09:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yes, but they are, in my opinion, very unhelpful at recommending *which* ammo will produce that 1MOA.  It's their freaking barrel, so they should know.
View Quote
Well I guess the first thing i willl do when I get mine is throw my big nightforce on it and shoot some gold metal match rounds to make sure it's accurate.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 7:04:16 PM EDT
[#9]
+1 for adjustable gas block. What I'm doing to my BCM 11.5 as I got tired of going up in buffer weights and extra strong springs. Next up was the adj carriers, but they don't seem to be nearly as effective as a gas block.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top