Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/22/2017 3:04:14 PM EDT
I know there are a lot of trolls out there. But those of you with experience, are you not happy with sf cans? I have 3 sf cans and i absolutely love them!
Just wondering because anytime someone reccomends one to another person on here, people always have something to say about it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 3:32:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I love my RC2 no complaints here. 
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 3:56:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Best mount in the business as far as I'm concerned. Have an RC1 and RC2. Would love to add a mini if I had any more dollars in the silencer fund.

The significant blowback mitigation is a big selling point for me as a lefty.

Link Posted: 5/22/2017 4:07:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I know there are a lot of trolls out there. But those of you with experience, are you not happy with sf cans? I have 3 sf cans and i absolutely love them!
Just wondering because anytime someone reccomends one to another person on here, people always have something to say about it.
View Quote

When they first entered the market, they would not even talk to you if you were not LEO/MIL. No civilian sales. Then there was the idiotic "special steel" they claimed the used that allowed for 50 30 round magazines to be fired back to back without a failure. Then they changed mounts after people invested in them. Then there was all the vaporware products.....
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 5:02:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 5:58:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Those I've heard are loud, and they are expensive.

My predator hunting bud has one. He likes it for the repeatability, I like it better when he hunts with his rifle set up for his Halo GMT...

Fwiw, I haven't had repeatability issues with the ASR QD system, YHM's QD system or DT "permanently" mounted.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 6:29:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I was at a LE demo when they were first released. They demonstrated the cool over barrel mount and promptly had a baffle strike. I've shot dozens of SF cans over the years and the comparable competing products always sound quieter to me. SF commands a premium price which is also a bit absurd.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 7:06:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I've got five Surefire cans and like them all.  I use my 762 SOCOM the least and my minis the most.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 7:12:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Me, because they sued AAC over false advertising because of this picture

Santa Ana, CA – The court denied Surefire’s preliminary injunction motion and silenced its attempt to shoot down Advanced Armament’s silencer advertising. (Motion details blogged here). The court quickly pointed out that the accused advertisement doesn’t make any reference to Surefire and the pictured suppressor is not readily identifiable as a Surefire product. Surefire must be questioning its decision to file a lawsuit that – unlike the advertisement at issue – unequivocally identified its product as the one pictured in the advertisement and brought more attention to it than the advertisement itself.
View Quote
Link with details

Basically, they came off as whiny bitches who couldn't handle competitive marketing.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 9:02:56 PM EDT
[#9]
I like my surefire.

I like my AAC.

I remember when surefire was on top. It wasn't that long ago.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 9:43:58 PM EDT
[#10]
I've heard they're comparatively loud and they are definitely on the pricey side, but that doesn't stop me from wanting a SOCOM 762 Mini 2 anyways... I like their muzzle devices, mounting system and the overall dimensions. Seems like a solid jack of all trades. I'm not too concerned with the whole hearing safe thing, I will continue to wear PPE regardless.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 9:45:26 PM EDT
[#11]
My Ryder is pretty quiet. Very light weight but does have some FRP.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 10:13:36 PM EDT
[#12]
I was hung up on DBs for a while but after owning one of the quietest 556s on the market, specwar 556, I realized my priorities differed than I originally thought. I ended up snagging my socom mini and SF3P (arfcom hookup ) for $774, in Dec 2015, and couldn't be happier with it on a 11.5" SBR. Length is great, mount is awesome, weight is okay, price was right
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 10:15:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://www.iptrademarkattorney.com/files/2016/05/false-advertising-lawyer-silencer-advertisement-surefire-gun.jpg

Link with details

Basically, they came off as whiny bitches who couldn't handle competitive marketing.
View Quote
Surefire loves to sue anyone and everyone.

They served 4Sevens, Jetbeam, and a couple other major flashlight manufacturers a few years back for patent infringement over a clicky switch or something. Served them the papers at Shot Show.

I think they make good products but their business practices can be somewhat off putting. They love those sweet sweet gov contracts, but civilian sales and customer service seems to be a low priority to them.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 10:29:18 PM EDT
[#14]
@kudu22
I think the sps300 and of course the Ryder series shows, maybe not foresight, but situational awareness that govt sales may not be forever, civilians can spend money too.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 10:32:25 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a surefire, It lives on my MK18, which is my "work" gun. It isn't quiet, but it works ok. The mount is strong but thats because it is carbon locked at this point. It would take an act of god to get it off.

I got it with a 65% off or something like that, I can't remember. Personally, I wouldn't buy another at retail, but for the price I got it at, it was worth it I suppose.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 10:49:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Started with a 556RC and a 762RC, liked them so well I got another 556RC.  Now have a 300SPS in jail, should be approved any time.  I'll chase DBs with my 22LR cans.  Everyone has different priorities; mounting system and low back pressure were my two tops for rifle cans.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 11:03:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Surefire is the HK of the flashlight world.

You suck, they hate you, now pay up.

Plus, they fire anyone who makes gear people actually want...buy hey, how bout that wrist light?  What, you don't want some wiz bang 87 color switching dual intensity light?   But it's so awesome...so what if it isn't practical or useful...

But, who would ever want a basic simple protected clickie tailcap on a Fury and then to use it as a weapon light...no way...

Link Posted: 5/22/2017 11:44:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Several years back silencer shop made a video testing several cans. 
They originally were gonna test the surefire in that video but didnt.

They ended up sending the the can back to  surefire because they thought something was wrong with it, it was so loud. 
When I asked what was surefires response to it, they told me surefire tried blaming it on atmospherics that day. 
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:32:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Expensive, loud, heavy. The loud part is more about having lower back pressure (allegedly) and they don't need to be hearing safe to provide audio signature reduction to external parties.

But still too expensive, loud and heavy for average civilian use.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 1:58:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Im a fan. I bought a few when my only experience had been with NT4 and M4-2000 and the SF cans were a great upgrade. Lighter than the KAC and as good as the AAC with a mount better than both.

I do feel like they screwed us on the mounts. They promised right here on arfcom that they would do occasional runs of legacy mounts. That has turned out to be bullshit. Now I have 4 SF legacy rifle cans and the mounts are unobtanium. They didnt even buy me dinner first.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 3:03:22 AM EDT
[#21]
And yet if had bought a Surefire can and never visited ARF to hear others opinions it would likely provide me with a lifetime of service like the rest of their gear and I would never be the wiser.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 3:37:57 AM EDT
[#22]
I love their flashlights. Most all my weapon lights are SureFire.

Silencers are way expensive, and have a tendency to launch down range... I went AAC for my rifle cans and am very happy. Surefire should stick with what they know, lights. 
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 6:17:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
and have a tendency to launch down range...
View Quote
Ok, I'll call BS. Care to explain or is it misappropriated hate?
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:08:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Ok, I'll call BS. Care to explain or is it misappropriated hate?
View Quote
Probably the numerous reports of people launching them downrange on this forum over they years. The current design allows you to ratchet the collar and think it is locked on, when it isn't.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_20/443770_Launched-my-SOCOM762-down-range-today.html
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:25:26 AM EDT
[#25]
If launching your suppressor downrange fosters hate, then every suppressor manufacturer should be hated.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:28:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
If launching your suppressor downrange fosters hate, then every suppressor manufacturer should be hated.
View Quote
None of my cans with GA taper mounts have ever launched.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:30:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Besides being loud and expensive, I've seen some endcap welds that were horribly underfilled and just about as ugly I've seen anywhere.

Buy one if you want, but I'd want to see whatever I was getting first.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:46:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I have a surefire, It lives on my MK18, which is my "work" gun. It isn't quiet, but it works ok. The mount is strong but thats because it is carbon locked at this point. It would take an act of god to get it off.

I got it with a 65% off or something like that, I can't remember. Personally, I wouldn't buy another at retail, but for the price I got it at, it was worth it I suppose.
View Quote
What's a "work" gun? Is this the gun you use for official duty, most used personally, or most likely to use in a self defense situation?

Seems...strange...that DA's biggest fan wouldn't use a Sandman for any of the above mentioned purposes.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:59:02 AM EDT
[#29]
I bought 8k in suppressors I've gotten seven of them back this past month. Waiting on the last two. After doing research and seeing and hearing SF and the cost for what you get. It'd be stupid to buy them. Your paying for a name and low quality.   They were not on my list of cans that I even considered. I ended up with Griffin, AAC, Yankeehill and Silencerco

Here's the seven I just got.

Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:59:33 AM EDT
[#30]
I dunno, but I am waiting on a 300SPS since  my AAC 7.62 SDN-6 had the welds holding the first blast baffle in place give out and was destroyed on the next shot when the tube bulged.

The RC cans specifically are supposed to be the toughest cans around.

That's said, I will be buying a silencerco Omega next.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:11:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

What's a "work" gun? Is this the gun you use for official duty, most used personally, or most likely to use in a self defense situation?

Seems...strange...that DA's biggest fan wouldn't use a Sandman for any of the above mentioned purposes.
View Quote
I have 16 non-DA can's... I guess your right, I should put them away and never shoot them or use them again.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:55:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The RC cans specifically are supposed to be the toughest cans around.
View Quote
NT4 is the king of toughness.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:33:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
And yet if had bought a Surefire can and never visited ARF to hear others opinions it would likely provide me with a lifetime of service like the rest of their gear and I would never be the wiser.
View Quote
And the same would be the case with any number of suppressors from any other the larger manufacturers, but you would most likely have a quieter can and paid a lot less.

JPK
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:42:15 PM EDT
[#34]
I don't just hate "one" Surefire.  I hate all of them.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 2:50:43 PM EDT
[#35]
I have a 7.62 mini, and 300 sps. Id trade them both straight up for two omegas if I could (have an omega already as well).

A 300 sps mini at a good price would be a great can if they made it.

Other than that, meh.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 2:52:57 PM EDT
[#36]
A friend ordered two SF cans as soon as they became legal in Minnesota.  He was assured by SF that they would be shipping all orders to distributors "Within a couple months".  
After waiting 18 months, with nothing but further stalling responses, even at the NRA show, he canceled and ordered other brands.
Another person did finally get one, and is still waiting after almost a year to get the mounts he ordered.

They might make great cans.  They just don't seem to care much about selling them.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 3:26:02 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm not belittling SF suppressors or the company. I'm just say that in my opinion there are better suppressors for a lot less money with better customer svc.

You know what they say about opinions.  If you have a SF and are happy with it. Then that's great. I was not putting anyone down that bought one.

I just wanted to be clear on this
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:26:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Probably the numerous reports of people launching them downrange on this forum over they years. The current design allows you to ratchet the collar and think it is locked on, when it isn't.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Regardless, to say they "have a tendency to launch down range" is much different than to say they are not fool proof.

Quoted:
Your paying for a name and low quality.
Low quality too, huh?

The hate is strong in this thread and I'm not even a fanboy.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:58:06 PM EDT
[#39]
For surefire money, you could buy a KAC can.

The NT4 is the most durable 5.56 can in the world.  

The newer KAC can is even better.  

They are pricy...but they are also a lifetime can.  

For less money, you can get an AAC M42K which is still the quietest 5.56 that most places ever tested.  The current price for the M42K makes buying one the optimal choice....only issue is that they do produce a lot of back pressure and gas.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:04:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
https://www.iptrademarkattorney.com/files/2016/05/false-advertising-lawyer-silencer-advertisement-surefire-gun.jpg

Link with details

View Quote
So your beef was because they sued another company?

Sued a company that doesn't affect your life whatsoever so you had to make a line in the sand over it even though you had nothing to do with it?

Link Posted: 5/23/2017 11:35:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Regardless, to say they "have a tendency to launch down range" is much different than to say they are not fool proof.

Low quality too, huh?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Your paying for a name and low quality.
Low quality too, huh?

Sorry meant same quality as lower priced cans not low quality. My bad was typing to fast and did not read my post before or after summitting  it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:16:42 AM EDT
[#42]
They are Loud and expensive..   my buddys 7.62 RC makes everyone that has ever been near its ears ring...  my 7.62 SS is better but it is bigger..   but hell if i can find a mount for it!! I actually think the cans got worse when they started the SOCOM line...   but have not tried the SPS and RC2

But will say the 7.62 SS has worked well on my LaRue PreditOBR ..  Less POI shift than other cans i have shot...  but only one to have a left right shift as well as an up down..   but there is not ZERO POI shift like they calmed when i got the can..
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:38:34 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Link with details

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Santa Ana, CA – The court denied Surefire’s preliminary injunction motion and silenced its attempt to shoot down Advanced Armament’s silencer advertising. (Motion details blogged here). The court quickly pointed out that the accused advertisement doesn’t make any reference to Surefire and the pictured suppressor is not readily identifiable as a Surefire product. Surefire must be questioning its decision to file a lawsuit that – unlike the advertisement at issue – unequivocally identified its product as the one pictured in the advertisement and brought more attention to it than the advertisement itself.
Link with details

Regardless of what you think the lawsuit says or not about Surefire as a company, the can was readily identifiable as a Surefire can.  Anyone claiming otherwise is either full of crap or blind.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 8:02:42 AM EDT
[#44]
Anyone new to buying suppressors would not be able to tell you crap about who made that suppressor except that it was spot welded. I do not know the different manufacturers by looking at them on the inside either. I did not keep up on all that before buying mine. Even now unless I went looking to specifically ID those cans. I and a ton of other people could not tell you who made that can that's spot welded.  Not everyone is as knowledgeable as you. So you are very wrong in your statement.

Calling people lairs that say they can't ID that suppressor makes you look like an ass.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 8:42:40 AM EDT
[#45]
I think that this "I love it" / "I hate it" crap that goes on with silencers is because once you buy one, you're married to it, for life (till death do us part). People get pissed that theirs wasn't chosen by the military, even though theirs is quieter, or theirs is built better. But to be honest the military sometimes doesn't buy the best stuff. Heck, they chose Sigs over Glocks (HA HA). So if you like yours, great, but don't bash others. If you don't like others, great, get over it and enjoy what you have.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 8:53:37 AM EDT
[#46]
Give the man a bone. you are absolutely correct it's hard to divorce a suppressor to unless you give it away in all honesty this is a dumb post. I like all suppressors. Any suppressor is better than none. Some may be better than others. But I've never met one that I would not take home with me.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:09:00 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
I say that YHM has the best(but ugliest)QD mount out there. How do I prevent launching my M2 Phantom downrange? Turn the can until it stops clicking, and then shoot the shit out of it. No collars, latches, or anything mounted to the can to wear out, in the unlikely event I shoot enough to do that. When the springs or teeth in the mount finally crap out, replacing the mount is a $60 job, plus the pin/weld I did on my 14.5" barrel.

And the mount is included in the box with the can.

Are there "better" cans out there? Sure, but for a civilian shooter my M2 is more than good enough.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:14:50 AM EDT
[#48]
I like yankeehill. Mines a TITANIUM 308 it's a dt though for my m40a5 I wanted a qd but my barrel was to fat for one and I was not getting it turned down for one. It's to accurate to mess with.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:04:55 AM EDT
[#49]
For what it's worth, my "quietest" can (Specwar 556) is my least favorite and my "loudest" can (Surefire RC1) is my favorite. Just depends on your preferences/needs. YMMV.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:16:48 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
For what it's worth, my "quietest" can (Specwar 556) is my least favorite and my "loudest" can (Surefire RC1) is my favorite. Just depends on your preferences/needs. YMMV.
View Quote
Pretty much this.  For semi-auto rifle I value light, low blow-back, and a good mount.  Super quiet is not really an option for 556 AR's so I just want something that'll take it down to "ear plug" level with an SBR.  The Surefire mini's fit the bill perfectly for that.  Anything bigger and "quieter" I still have to wear ear plugs so why bother?  Just adds more weight and length.  Of my 556 rifle cans my Surefire FDE mini and my Mini Monster get shot the most.

Mind you, I got all my Surefire cans when Silencershop was running some deals so I didn't pay full price for any of them.

ETA- gratuitous pic....

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top