Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/21/2017 5:45:26 PM EDT
Just got my first suppressor out of nfa jail. Saker 762. Works great on my bolt guns. My question is about my ar's.  
Is it generally necessary to switch to an adjustable gas block on my ar15's when I use the suppressor?  Both of them function fine but the brass is ending up at about 2 o'clock.  Without  the suppressor ejection is about 5 o'clock.  
Are they overgassed?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 9:40:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, they are over gassed when the suppressor is installed.

You are experiencing greater and rougher felt recoil because of the early bolt unlock and excessive bolt speed. But, if the rifles are functioning fine you do not need adjustable blocks.

You might want to look o to a Gemtech or Vootleg adjustable BCG, which will tame gas without having to install an adjustable block on all of your rifles. I am always wary of head spacing when swapping a bolt among different uppers, but you could check head space on multiple uppers with a particular bolt installed is an adjustable carrier.

JPK
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 8:14:59 PM EDT
[#2]
SLR Rifleworks Sentry, thank me later.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 2:26:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I put a seekins precision on 5.56 AR and really like it.  

$57 from Cabelas.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 3:42:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
SLR Rifleworks Sentry, thank me later.
View Quote
I have the Sentry 7 on an upper I have set up to be dedicated suppressed with my Omega. I just adjusted it today for the absolute minimum gas setting that would still reliably run and BHO the upper with the can on. It is by far the smoothest and lightest recoiling weapon I own.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:55:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Try a heavy buffer.  $15 and 60 seconds might fix your issue.

On my friends AR-15's, 16" fixed, 20" is still over gassed.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 7:22:00 AM EDT
[#6]
I typed this up for a friend who is considering a Sentry for his SBR upper. This is based on my testing of my upper with a SiCo Omega. This doesn't mean that this is how the SLR Sentry will work on your upper, but gives you a baseline for how the various positions functioned on mine.

Regarding the AGB: this is with a 10.5" ballistic advantage barrel (don't know the size of their gas port), an H2 buffer in the lower, and an SLR Sentry 7 AGB. All testing was done with PMC Bronze .223 ammo, which I've read is one of the weakest brass cased ammo you can get. I don't plan on running any steel ammo/Wolf, so the PMC is a good baseline for me. The AGB has 15 positions. So we will call fully closed (single shot rifle at that point) position 1, and fully open (as if there was no AGB installed) position 15.

Based on my testing:

Position 7 -
Suppressed: reliable functioning and last round bolt hold open (I notice a bit of gas in this position)
Unsuppressed: reliable functioning and last round bolt hold open

Position 6 -
Suppressed: reliable functioning and last round bolt hold open (I notice a bit of gas in this position)
Unsuppressed: reliable functioning but no last round bolt hold open (not enough gas to cycle the bolt back enough to engage the bolt catch)

Position 5 -
Suppressed: reliable functioning and last round bolt hold open (not really noticing gas at this point)
Unsuppressed: fired round extracts and ejects, failure to feed next live round (not enough gas to cycle the bolt back enough to feed next round)

Position 4 -
Suppressed: reliable functioning and last round bolt hold open
Unsuppressed: failure to extract from chamber the spent case, trigger did reset (not enough gas to fully extract fired case, which remained in the chamber)

Position 3 -
Suppressed: reliable functioning but no last round bolt hold open (not enough gas to cycle the bolt back enough to engage the bolt catch)
Unsuppressed: did not test in this position

I did not test above position 7 or below position 3. Position 4 is reliable suppressed (only) and is the position that results in the smoothest lightest recoiling weapon I own, with no gas to the face. For shooting suppressed at the range, it will be on position 4. If I might use the weapon for defensive purposes either suppressed or unsuppressed, I'll probably just put it on position 7 for full reliability regardless.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 8:03:26 AM EDT
[#7]
My 6 x 45 operates 100% on position 6, my .264 LBC has to be on position 7, both unsuppressed.  I'll have to see what settings are required suppressed.  Both have SLR Sentry 7 AGB's on them.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 11:35:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Thank you
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 6:32:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Superlative arms makes a nice adjustable gas block, but that gemtech bcg is more drop-in friendly. It is definitely easier to swap a bcg out than a gas block, so ultimately its user preference.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 7:36:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Anyone with both the Superlative arms and SLR sentry, is the sentry worth the extra money?
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 8:58:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Anyone with both the Superlative arms and SLR sentry, is the sentry worth the extra money?
View Quote
I was going to get a Superlative to try out on my 308 build but the .750 versions are unobtainium right now. Right to Bear Arms and Supply is running a great deal on SLR gas blocks ($100), thats only $10 more then the Superlative for a proven gas block.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 11:57:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm snagging a RCA adjustable gas key for a FSB build. I'm not ready to drop $200 on a new carrier when I have one already on hand
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 2:00:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Adjustable gas blocks are completely unnecessary, and help your rifle cycle less violently.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 5:48:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Adjustable gas blocks are completely unnecessary, and help your rifle cycle less violently.
View Quote
Are you being facetious?  I genuinely don't understand the statement, no offense intended.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 6:22:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Are you being facetious?  I genuinely don't understand the statement, no offense intended.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just saying that they're great and also unnecessary. Too many people who get into silencers immediately think they need an adjustable gas block for their rifle to work.

I have 3 ARs that I shoot suppressed. No adjustable gas blocks, although my 10.5" now has a Baby Govnah with a 0.042" port so I don't get as much gas blown back into my eyes and nose. I never had a failure before or after using it, but I like having it for the reduced awful stinging gas.

I think a Baby Govnah (or custom size gas port) is a lot nicer to have than an adjustable gas block because it weighs much less and has zero complexity.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 10:46:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Copy.  I tried every buffer under the sun on my malfunctioning BCM 11.5" with Sig SRD556Ti combo.  The Superlative gas block gave me a working suppressed rifle.  Wish they would respond to my requests for the manual in electronic format.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 4:38:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Anyone have any experience with the Odin Works adjustable gas block?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top