Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2017 1:42:26 PM EDT
I shot my suppressor for the first time today.  Wow, what a difference!  I'm happy with the groups I'm getting with it mounted but was a bit surprised by how much the POI changed.  POI shifted almost 8" low and 1" left.  I expected a change but damn that seems drastic.  Will this cause any problems when shooting at distance.  Anyone else seeing a POI shift that large.  Rifle is .223, 18" barrel and I'm shooing a Smith Enterprise Windtalker suppressor mounted on a Vortex flash hider.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 1:47:56 PM EDT
[#1]
You don't have the MD mounted with a crush washer do you?

If so that crush washer needs to go. If the MD needs timing solid shims are the way to go.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 2:06:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I shot my suppressor for the first time today.  Wow, what a difference!  I'm happy with the groups I'm getting with it mounted but was a bit surprised by how much the POI changed.  POI shifted almost 8" low and 1" left.  I expected a change but damn that seems drastic.  Will this cause any problems when shooting at distance.  Anyone else seeing a POI shift that large.  Rifle is .223, 18" barrel and I'm shooing a Smith Enterprise Windtalker suppressor mounted on a Vortex flash hider.
View Quote
Shouldn't, in your ballistic solver you will add a second load for suppressed, in the zero data section you will put in the offset from point of aim. Your solver will compensate for this offset and you will be able to keep one mechanical zero on your scope.

So for "Zero Height" input -8.0
For "Zero Offset" input 1.0

Of course doing this you will have to dial even at 100yds.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 2:15:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You don't have the MD mounted with a crush washer do you?

If so that crush washer needs to go. If the MD needs timing solid shims are the way to go.
View Quote
No crush washer, shims or anything like that.  I'm getting good groups, about the same as I'm getting unsuppressed.  Guess I just expected more like a 1"-2" shift.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 5:45:38 PM EDT
[#4]
the 1" shift is not bad but that 8" is a bit much. i'd be a little disappointed and probably just end up making it a dedicated set up.  

my AAC newer model m4-2k shifted about 1.5" low and right. i shimmed it to get the windage dialed in, and now just have to compensate for being low. piece of cake now.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 9:31:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I've checked alignment with a Geissele alignment rod and it passes.  I'm thinking it's a combination of the weight(this suppressor is built like a tank and weighs about as much as one) and the fact that it's on an 18" fluted barrel.  As long as it's consistent I guess I'm OK with it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 9:56:25 PM EDT
[#6]
as long as your groups are good, you're fine on alignment.

The shift is coming from the fact that you have about 30 oz of weight on the end of your 18" barrel. If you want less shift, going down to 16" would help a little bit, but going to a lighter suppressor (omega with titanium parts is only 11 oz) would help the most.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 10:12:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No crush washer, shims or anything like that.  I'm getting good groups, about the same as I'm getting unsuppressed.  Guess I just expected more like a 1"-2" shift.
View Quote
You might consider using the shim that came with the suppressor, then, unless you are using an SR25 pattern that doesn't involve shimming except for alignment rotationally.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 10:54:43 AM EDT
[#8]
AAC 7.62AD, 51T mount.

Was my first can and a good deal $-wise.  Has been disappointing precision-wise.  Ruger RPR is easily MOA all day if I don't flake out.  With SD on routinely getting 1.5-1.75" at 100.

But more to the point, zero'd at 100 - when SD attached impact drops 4" and slightly left.

I guess I'm not alone in that much change.

Should have researched more on suppressors and mounts for precision application.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top