Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 6:37:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I was trying to not be too dickish in my response.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 7:35:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Couple of months ago I got the chance to shoot a 9 and 45 in a Osprey.

Some obersvations from somone who owns a Octane 45 and Obsidian...

1 - The Osprey sounds GREAT.  I was very impressed with the tone to the point where I'm debating about picking one up.  
2 - Even though that was the first time shooting the can on my end, a simple internet serach will point out that the Osprey does NOT clear some "standard" sights on handguns, and I knew that and wasn't even looking at buying one before shooting one.
3 - Can't clear the sights?  So what?  Just learn to "shoot through" the can with the sights.  Doesn't take long to get the hang of.
4 - The can on certain guns has a certain WOW factor to it that others can imitate just due to the design and how it "works" with the frame of the gun.
5 - Can't put certain attachments on the handgun due to the design of the can?  Well, you don't have to be a rocket scientist to understand that due to the unique design, some things may not work as they do with the standard "round" can.

OP, you have a GREAT sounding can.  All things considered, you had things turn out better than perhaps you might think.   It's not a can I would ever think of letting go if I had other cans.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 7:39:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
[b]Night Sights are a must for any CCW in my opinion
View Quote
Not to get off topic, but not certain why you think night sights are a must for CC?

Shooting in low light conditions, the first thing you need to ensure is you know what you're aiming at.  Night sights don't help in knowing what your aiming at, but a light does.  I mean, is there an advantage to using night sights during the day?
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 8:10:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Not to get off topic, but not certain why you think night sights are a must for CC?

Shooting in low light conditions, the first thing you need to ensure is you know what you're aiming at.  Night sights don't help in knowing what your aiming at, but a light does.  I mean, is there an advantage to using night sights during the day?
View Quote
Good points.  
The old saying is still valid: "Night sights let you engage a target in light too low to identify it".  
I would first put money towards a good flashlight, then a laser grip, then a weapon mounted light, then night sights.
And I do have all four on some guns.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 8:39:39 AM EDT
[#5]
I would recommend some trigger time with it, I bet you will adapt to shooting through the sites very quickly.
I use an osprey 9 on a few hosts, none with raised sites. Anyone I hand them to, can still center punch a target with the osprey attached.

Dont regret the choice, its a great can and try running some 124 subs or 147gr and you will be impressed with how shootable it is without earpro.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 11:51:30 AM EDT
[#6]
I love my Osprey 45. I run a APL or no light on my 17 for the osprey clearance. My FNX runs it with an X300. The g17 will not clear the osprey and X300 FYI.

But the only gripe I have with it, is the horrible FRP. But I bought an Obsidian 45 to solve that issue. The Osprey will live on my FNX when I get my Obsidian.

The can is awesome but you needed to do more research on it, most of us did that have it and don't have the same gripes that you do.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 1:54:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I've got an Osprey 45k. I don't use it often. I've found that it isn't the suppressor that I don't like.... I didn't realize how little I shoot center fire pistols compared to the rest of my firearms.

When purchasing my first round of suppressors (Osprey 45k was included) I considered my ammunition consumption/use over what types of firearms got the use.... I have quite a few pistol calibered SBRs and carbines. I found I tend to hang rifle cans on them over the Osprey. My second round of suppressor purchases were additional Omegas, another Sparrow and a Hybrid.

I get way more use out of my rim fire and rifle suppressors. Hindsight is 20/20. Wish that Osprey 45k was another Hybrid or Omega.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 6:05:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The Osprey is a winner in my books.

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu125/986S/8B88E412-9FBE-496E-8471-C7AE1A84BBF0_zpszchkdqta.jpg

My 2nd Osprey 45 will hopefully be approved this week or the following. I am tossing that onto my Glock 21 and using a Gen 3 Inforce APL instead of a Surefire X300 Ultra due to the lack of room from the suppressor.
View Quote
I just felt something in my pants move.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 8:27:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought one but won't be heart broken if it doesn't clear my sights, I was planning on mounting it on a dedicated gun for it anyway and hopefully running a pistol optic.  Plus it's a reason to buy another pistol.

Though I do wonder if anyone here knows how it fits on a CZ75 with standard sights since I already own a 75B and threaded barrels for them aren't too bad.  I mocked it up with a P09 (not the EXACT gun but close) the shop had handy but hard to tell without it actually mounted... it looks really close.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 10:32:43 AM EDT
[#10]
I shot my Osprey for the first time yesterday. It was fantastic. I had no issues hitting point of aim even with the sights obscured. Would I want it on a bullseye gun without higher sights? No, but for "combat effective" shooting it was fine.

Link Posted: 4/28/2017 11:45:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Can't recall just how negative it was but nice title change.  

I love mine 45.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 12:29:23 PM EDT
[#12]
The osprey fits just fine on a Glock with a TLR1. You just have to put the can on first.  The TLR 1 does barely, barely contact the suppressor (you can fit a few sheets of paper between them) but both fit and function perfectly. I have over 1000 rounds through a Glock 23 with an osprey .45k and TLR 1 attached with no ill effects to can, gun or light.  The hot can and any contact rubbing hasn't even discolored the finish on the light. Doesn't get as hot right where the light sits.

Non issue.

And even though the stock sights sit right below the top of the osprey, it still allows the eye to shoot over the can a lot better than a traditional round unit. I like mine.  All that said it will probably go to live full time on my scorpion evo once I get sir paperwork back. Sounds fantastic on that gun.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 12:49:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Who makes the barrel?
Some barrels are longer/shorter and a longer barrel may help clear the light
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 1:50:36 AM EDT
[#14]
You would need an extra full inch of barrel to clear the light.  I'm not aware of any that long.

Like I said though, twist the can into place then install the TLR 1. The only one I think would not work at all are the old insight M3 illuminatiors since they have to slide on from the front.

The TLR1 BARELY contacts the osprey and does not affect function or finish of the can or light. This is with my Glock 23 and 180 grain cheap .40 ammo.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 9:03:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Just bought Gen 4 Glock 19 and storm lake threaded barrel.  The barrel dropped right in, and with the osprey 45 it just keeps on running. With 147 sub-sonic it is very suppressed. Yes the sights don't clear the can , but those large white outline sights are very easy to adjust to "shooting through the can".  After having putting higher sights on other pistol, didn't see the need for my purposes anymore.  It does just fine out to 50 yds, and can return the G19 back by just changing the barrel back.  Plus don't have to worry about cleaning the can, but am shooting hand loads.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top