Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/26/2017 1:57:35 AM EDT
I wanted to put this here so that others would not make the same mistake I did. I bought an Osprey last year and didn't receive it until a few month ago. I was initially attracted to the idea of a can where most of the mass was below the barrel. One assumption I made was that it standard height sights would be able to see over the barrel.

Wrong, it is just like every other can -

Attachment Attached File

Recently I just got a weapon light to help make this a good home defense can -

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

If the HPA passes or the form 4 wait time drops very low, this can is gone.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 2:19:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Since this is a technical forum, I'll simply say you should have done your homework.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 2:36:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Since this is a technical forum, I'll simply say you should have done your homework.
View Quote
I'm helping others with that part so they will know.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 2:43:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I hope the HPA passes.

I was looking at those as well,  I ended up going with the traditional can.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 3:25:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Inforce apl fixes the light issue, but yeah, new sights are in order also.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 5:53:34 AM EDT
[#5]
The Osprey is doing exactly what it is supposed to do...  It's the other end where the problem is.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 7:02:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yup.

There are a few lights that will work with it and on other guns particularly, Glock sights and their rail is pretty low profile.

Random example, not mine:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 7:12:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Mine works fine even with sights.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 7:23:06 AM EDT
[#8]
What really sucks is that we are stuck (for now anyway) with a system where after spending a large sum of $$ and waiting months and months, your pretty much stuck with it. Regardless if you did or didn't do your homework, still a crappy position to be in. Buy a TV and hate it, bring it back. Buy a pistol and hate it, no worries. Might take a small hit but you can resell with ease. But a suppressor and hate it...oh freakin well.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 7:39:42 AM EDT
[#9]
it's those damn low bore to axis of those Glock's 
I will give you 150 bucks for it when the HPA passes

but you really should have done your research first I bought the Octane 45 HD for that very reason, but I have all Sigs and the X300ultras fit fine beneath them 
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 7:53:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 8:00:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Why not get a host for the Osprey that's more accommodating to being suppressed?

The G19 has all of these low profile features so that it will be a compact and fast CCW..
suppressors dont mix well with firearms that are designed around CCW (generally speaking).

Night Sights are a must for any CCW in my opinion, just get a set of Trijicon suppressor height sights for your G19.

There are MANY fixes to the issues in this thread, of course, most of them involve spending money (which you may or may not have at the moment since you just purchased a suppressor).

I've heard that SIG, CZ, Springfield XD(m), and H&K offerings all have sights that clear the Osprey.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 8:07:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Plenty of information out there now, but cannot fault the buyer for thinking Sico is being honest in their published information.
Sico states the Osprey will not block "most standard pistol sights", which of course is false.  
A more correct statement would be "Will not block a select few standard large pistol sights, but many people might be unhappy to discover it does block theirs".
They could easily show a list of those stock pistols that are compatible with their statement, but they won't.
To be fair, most round cans will also block standard sights; but this is a particular advertising point used by Sico.

Agree with the idea that CCW and suppressor friendly pistols are two different animals.  
The tall sights do not lend themselves well to carry, are more prone to snag on clothing, and won't even fit some quality carry holsters.  
(My opinion, as someone who teaches the subject, has many examples of each, and has seen many more in use).
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 8:23:17 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm pretty sure that issue with the light, you know, where you put something in the way of the can, is not a problem with the can.

Let me give you an example: If I park my riding mower in my driveway and I can't get my car in, I don't think it's GM's fault.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 8:23:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Correction: Ospreys suck for YOU. Great for everyone else.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 9:31:17 AM EDT
[#15]
The Osprey is a winner in my books.

My 2nd Osprey 45 will hopefully be approved this week or the following. I am tossing that onto my Glock 21 and using a Gen 3 Inforce APL instead of a Surefire X300 Ultra due to the lack of room from the suppressor.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 9:34:16 AM EDT
[#16]
"just like all others" is an incorrect statement. I've never used an osprey, but I have a DeadAir Mask HD and can see my standard sights just fine.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 10:03:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I wanted to put this here so that others would not make the same mistake I did. I bought an Osprey last year and didn't receive it until a few month ago. I was initially attracted to the idea of a can where most of the mass was below the barrel. One assumption I made was that it standard height sights would be able to see over the barrel.

Wrong, it is just like every other can -

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/427565/osprey1-195536.JPG

Recently I just got a weapon light to help make this a good home defense can -

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/427565/opsrey2-195539.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/427565/osprey3-195540.JPG

If the HPA passes or the form 4 wait time drops very low, this can is gone.
View Quote

You have illustrated exactly what my dealer told me when I was in the market for a pistol can.  The AAC Illusion 9 will apparently clear most sights, but not all.  

I ended up with an Octane 45K.  Yeah, it'll be another ~$150 per gun for suppressor sights.  In for a penny, in for a pound.  

Sucks that your dealer didn't explain these things to you.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 10:13:55 AM EDT
[#18]
So you're blaming the can because you didn't think things through properly.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 10:25:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Get the suppressor height sights, or buy the suppressor ready glock with high sights already.

And while the x300 and tlr1 don't fit, the inforce apl fits perfect on a 17 with my osprey45. First world problems but I understand. This doesn't make the can a bad can, as it's a great can. Just a weird fit with a light and glock sights hug the slide very tight.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Edit. My HD gun sits out loaded and unlocked. Children are a non issue. The only concern would be a break in and we're in a safe neighborhood. I'd make a recommendation. Pistols are small for concealment and ease of use. Why make it longer with a can? If there's an intruder, I'd rather not get the can confiscated too... and if I'm not home during a break in, my can on my HD gun is gone. I picked up the apl on the EE and it's a great light with great warranty.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Edit number 2. Apparently I forgot I did buy the factory 17 host with factory tall sights. I did replace them with trijicons. I'll do some poking in my boxes and if I can find them (I have a lot of gun shit), I will get your address and have the factory steel high sights. Problem solved
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 10:26:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'm pretty sure that issue with the light, you know, where you put something in the way of the can, is not a problem with the can.
Let me give you an example: If I park my riding mower in my driveway and I can't get my car in, I don't think it's GM's fault.
View Quote
THIS.. you also forgot the "This TV sucks because it won't fit in my cabinet" criticism.

OP, the problem you're running into is an issue with the G19 using ANY (?) suppressor.. NOT a problem with ALL suppressors or any specific suppressor..

Bottom line is that you chose poorly, NEVER buy a suppressor you're unfamiliar with.  
AND when I say familiar with, you should take it's host weapon TO THE STORE and fit it to the suppressor in the configuration you plan on using in order to determine it's the right suppressor for your rig.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 11:08:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Oh boy, I hope this ends up in GD. OP is
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 11:15:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 11:15:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The Osprey is a winner in my books.

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu125/986S/8B88E412-9FBE-496E-8471-C7AE1A84BBF0_zpszchkdqta.jpg

My 2nd Osprey 45 will hopefully be approved this week or the following. I am tossing that onto my Glock 21 and using a Gen 3 Inforce APL instead of a Surefire X300 Ultra due to the lack of room from the suppressor.
View Quote
I keep seeing that picture all over the internet.  You are going to make me buy that aren't you.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 11:24:58 AM EDT
[#24]
ETA PSA: Ospreys don't suck and apostrophe "s" is only used with nouns to show possession.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 12:01:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I keep seeing that picture all over the internet.  You are going to make me buy that aren't you.
View Quote
Haha I actually had to open up Gunbroker to check current prices........
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 12:04:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 12:06:30 PM EDT
[#27]
I don't understand why people buy the osprey. What is the appeal? Everybody is blaming OP for not reading up, which I guess is warranted. BUT, he's right:

1. Despite its design, it still blocks sights on most handguns.

2. It is not user serviceable, so you get a bunch of crap rattling around inside from dirty 9mm. Ends up sounding like one of these.

3. It is between 3-5db louder than traditional designs of the same weight.

seems to me that its main selling point is that it looks cool.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 12:06:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
This will fix your problems.

AAC Illusion

Plus you can take it apart (no tools) to clean it.

View Quote
Can you take a photo down the sights of it mounted to a glock with standard sights on it? I've been curious about getting one
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 12:12:40 PM EDT
[#29]
I guess you should do a little more research next time on known issues?
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 12:20:35 PM EDT
[#30]
I had a very similar reaction when I first got my osprey45.  Now after using it, I really like it.  It does block the sights still on most pistols, but I don't I know of a good suppressor that doesn't.   There's room for experimentation there in the suppressor world.

When I buy new guns now, one of the criteria is that it has suppressor ready features--threaded barrels and taller sights.  I don't understand why so many gun companies still put out silencer- ready models with standard height sights.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 12:33:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Most of the time, the top of the sights are at least dead even with the top of the Osprey which may not be ideal, but still better than being buried under the top of the can.

HK45C clears a light no problem with an Osprey.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 12:33:45 PM EDT
[#32]
I don't know if anyone mentioned it, but you should have done some research. These are known "issues" if you can even call them that.

The tallest suppressor sights I could find won't clear my Octane on a Glock 17. They will clear your Osprey. Don't expect basic factory sights to clear.

I believe a Surefire light will clear the Osprey on your gun, but double check before you buy one to be sure.

The solutions to your problem already exist, but you're blaming one aftermarket part for not working with another aftermarket part instead of doing your homework. That's like putting a supercharger on your car and being mad that you need a new hood to clear it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 12:34:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Really poor choice of a title...

I like all three of my Ospreys.
View Quote
Fair enough. Title edited.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 12:34:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

AAC Illusion

View Quote
I've heard good things about the Illusion.

I'm Thrilled with my AAC purchases (TiRant45/M42K/762sdn6/prodigy)..
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 12:42:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

THIS.. you also forgot the "This TV sucks because it won't fit in my cabinet" criticism.

OP, the problem you're running into is an issue with the G19 using ANY (?) suppressor.. NOT a problem with ALL suppressors or any specific suppressor..

Bottom line is that you chose poorly, NEVER buy a suppressor you're unfamiliar with.  
AND when I say familiar with, you should take it's host weapon TO THE STORE and fit it to the suppressor in the configuration you plan on using in order to determine it's the right suppressor for your rig.
View Quote
Not to be a jerk, but it clearly says "17" on the side.

I guess I am not the only one that does something before doing all my research.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 12:43:47 PM EDT
[#36]
I have an Osprey 45 I use primarily on a SIG P228, a SIG P220, and recently on a PSA AR-9 that I SBR'ed.

My research prior to buying the Osprey informed me that the Osprey would still obstruct my standard height sights, but to a lesser extent than other cans. This DOES help me shoot with the Osprey as less of my target is obstructed.

I bought it anyway because I like the looks, SilencerCo has great customer service, and the shape of the Osprey makes it obvious if it needs to be tightened down.

NFA purchases need to be intensively researched because of the expense and wait time. Sorry you're disappointed.

Two thoughts for you: mount the Osprey on a pistol-caliber carbine, or acquire a rail-mounted laser for your handgun.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 12:50:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Not to be a jerk, but it clearly says "17" on the side.
I guess I am not the only one that does something before doing all my research.
View Quote
oh, wow.. that changes everything... how did i miss that??

well, I guess I'm glad that my mistake didn't cost me $800 like yours cost you..
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 12:55:10 PM EDT
[#38]
I lusted after the Osprey myself but I was concerned about lights as well.   I figured it would still need something for the sights.   Between those concerns and it's odd duck appearance on other guns I went with the Octane instead.   I also like that I can take the octane apart for cleaning.

I do still think the Osprey is a great can, just know what you're getting.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 1:11:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Did you not research the Osprey at all?
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 1:16:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
NFA purchases need to be intensively researched because of the expense and wait time. Sorry you're disappointed.

Two thoughts for you: mount the Osprey on a pistol-caliber carbine, or acquire a rail-mounted laser for your handgun.
View Quote
Yea, poopoo on me for not doing enough research. SiCo's page in the product says this -

"The Osprey uses a patented cam locking system to index so that the flat sight plane can be lined up below the shooter’s line of sight, thereby avoiding blocking most standard pistol sights."

But they forgot to mention "most (except for the brand of pistols with the largest market share)". SiCo has always has a good reputation so why not take their word for it. Well I consider this a good learning experience.

It wasn't the first time I've made a purchasing mistake with something gun related, it's just a lot more difficult to recover from. When I've bought a gun I didn't like or stop liking a gun after a few years I could alway resell it and take a $100-200 hit. I suppose I could resell this, but the hit
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 1:22:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Did you not research the Osprey at all?
View Quote
I did watch some you tube videos but now that I think of it, no one was using a Glock 17 nor did anyone point out anything about sights. Also, almost no one is going to do a silencer review with a light.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 1:40:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I did watch some you tube videos but now that I think of it, no one was using a Glock 17 nor did anyone point out anything about sights. Also, almost no one is going to do a silencer review with a light.
View Quote
Meh, don't sweat it op. Change some stuff around and shoot it. I love mine. I have an Octane as well, but my Osprey reminds me of a Specwar, just an awesome tone. To me anyway!
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 1:45:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Agreed
It seems not 2013, not like he's an early adopter

Quoted:
What really sucks is that we are stuck (for now anyway) with a system where after spending a large sum of $ and waiting months and months, your pretty much stuck with it. Regardless if you did or didn't do your homework, still a crappy position to be in. Buy a TV and hate it, bring it back. Buy a pistol and hate it, no worries. Might take a small hit but you can resell with ease. But a suppressor and hate it...oh freakin well.
Like the Sig posted above, buy a better host
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 2:02:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Yea, poopoo on me for not doing enough research. SiCo's page in the product says this -

"The Osprey uses a patented cam locking system to index so that the flat sight plane can be lined up below the shooter’s line of sight, thereby avoiding blocking most standard pistol sights."

But they forgot to mention "most (except for the brand of pistols with the largest market share)". SiCo has always has a good reputation so why not take their word for it. Well I consider this a good learning experience.

It wasn't the first time I've made a purchasing mistake with something gun related, it's just a lot more difficult to recover from. When I've bought a gun I didn't like or stop liking a gun after a few years I could alway resell it and take a $100-200 hit. I suppose I could resell this, but the hit
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do NOT trust the bullshit the marketing arm of any silencer company pushes down your throat.

But seriously, if you had looked at ONE picture of a Glock 17 with an Osprey, you would see that factory sights don't clear it. This is not news to anyone.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 2:26:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

AAC Illusion

View Quote
Hey AAC, give your marketing guy some Red Bull and put him to work.

An ad directly comparing the Illusion to the Osprey would help you sell more of them.  Show the sight picture of the two cans on a stock G17, M&P, and P320.  Show a disassembled Illusion ready for cleaning.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 2:46:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Pictures!

This is my buddy's osprey 45 on my 9mm Glock; I'm not a huge fan. It flat out didn't run on my G19

Link Posted: 4/26/2017 3:14:58 PM EDT
[#47]
OP needs to buy an ALG 6 second mount
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 4:20:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Attachment Attached File

TRL1 on my VP9.

OP, sorry that can didn't work out the way you wanted it to. However, for a few bucks, you can solve these problems. Suppressor hight sights and an Inforce light will get you on the path.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 4:31:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Yup

Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/40036/image-195839.JPG

TRL1 on my VP9.

OP, sorry that can didn't work out the way you wanted it to. However, for a few bucks, you can solve these problems. Suppressor hight sights and an Inforce light will get you on the path.
Or just buy a VP9
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 5:23:08 PM EDT
[#50]

Or just buy a VP9
View Quote
My VP9 and Osprey9 is one of my favorite set ups.  No blowback and sounds great.  Still running the standard night sights and i have no problem sighting 'through' the suppressor.

I don't regret my Osprey purchase at all, especially not for $499.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top