Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2017 12:10:35 PM EDT
I've got an itch for suppressed .22.

I have a Gemtech Quicksand .30 caliber can that I use on my .223, 300blk, .308 win, and my 6.5cm rifles.

I would like to grab one of these Ruger 10/22 takedown rifles and throw an adapter on the threaded barrel and use my can. The counter guy at the LGS strongly recommended against it. He couldn't really cite a reason why it was a bad idea. Of course his suggestion was that I should buy a dedicated .22 can and wait the undertermined amount of time to get it.

Is there a GOOD reason not to shoot .22lr through a big .30 caliber can?
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 12:18:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I've got an itch for suppressed .22.

I have a Gemtech Quicksand .30 caliber can that I use on my .223, 300blk, .308 win, and my 6.5cm rifles.

I would like to grab one of these Ruger 10/22 takedown rifles and throw an adapter on the threaded barrel and use my can. The counter guy at the LGS strongly recommended against it. He couldn't really cite a reason why it was a bad idea. Of course his suggestion was that I should buy a dedicated .22 can and wait the undertermined amount of time to get it.

Is there a GOOD reason not to shoot .22lr through a big .30 caliber can?
View Quote

Not besides weight and clogging it up with lead. The added volume will make up for a good amount of the negatives related to the larger than optimal hole.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 12:40:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Shouldn't be a problem. My only suggestion is to use coated bullets so you don't get lead fouling in the supressor.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 12:52:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I shouldn't do it. But I shoot 22 through my 30SD, I just usually try to shoot a few 5.56 rounds through it when I'm done. Ive put maybe 300-500rds of subsonic 22 through my rifle can. But hopefully I'll be buying a DA mask in a few months so I can use a more appropriate can for plinking.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 1:23:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Because you have a really nice, sealed Ti can and rimfire ammunition leaves a lot of carbon and lead fouling.

It's not going to plug up your can overnight but will over time.

A bi-lock muzzle device for the 10/22 will run you around $100. If you can stand the wait time, pick up a GM-22 from Silencer Shop for $300 and take the $200 store credit and pick up some more muzzle devices for your Quicksand (so you can shoot it sparingly on your Quicksand if you understand the consequences) or sell off the credit and make the net effective cost of your GM-22 somewhere between $100-150. Then you'll have a rimfire can that you can take down for cleaning.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 1:37:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Also look through a few pages we have had a few threads on this recently with good info
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 2:42:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank you for the sage advice.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top