Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2017 11:28:18 AM EDT
I'm contemplating another suppressor, this one for rifles. I have another suppressor now that I am waiting on, which is a Rugged Obsidian .45 since last August. I bought the obsidian cause it has very good reviews, can suppress 9mm and .45 well, and looks cool. I'm thinking about getting a 7.62 rifle suppressor for 7.62 and 5.56, so the rugged suppressors look like good choices again. My main question is: Is it worth it to spend the extra ~$150 to $200 for the surge? The razor looks very similar but cannot be changed in length.

Also should I be looking at some other brands? I know silencer shop is running a promotion for $200 on griffin and gemtech cans, so maybe I should look at some of those? I love surefire cans mainly for their flash hiders and muzzle brakes, but they are a good bit pricier than the competition.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 2:38:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Email sent...
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 4:14:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Consider your desired performance criteria & the kind of applications you plan to utilize it for.

Personally, I went with the Surge for its versatility & suppression performance for SBR & carbine use in 5.56 & NATO .30 cal.  The Razor is handier, but at a cost of dB reduction.  At 7.5” in short mode, the Surge seems plenty handy while still offering reasonable sound reduction (& durability).   I do like my suppressors to suppress.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 6:40:05 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm starting to think about rifle suppressors also and have pretty much the same thoughts.  I've also got an Obsidian on order and was thinking about a surge or razor.  I haven't done a whole lot of research on rifle cans yet, but I was hoping to find a .30 cal can that could easily QD mount on 5.56 and 7.62.  Swappable 5.56 endcap would also be a bonus.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 8:26:17 AM EDT
[#4]
As I stated in posts regarding the Razor if you are concerned about weight and length without any barrel length restrictions at the expense of suppression, get the Razor. The Surge will be quieter about much heavier and longer than the razor.  

Rifles are loud especially ar15 and your going to be wearing hearing protection anyways.
The reason I got the razor.  

If I didn't buy a Sandman L for for under 700 dollars I would have bought both the razor and surge without hesitation.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 10:58:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Get both.

If I thought I was only getting one I'd probably go with the Surge.

I bought the Surge 1st, then picked up the Razor.  Modular, better suppression.  The Surge K setup is only 1.1" longer than the Razor.  The Razor is only 0.2" than the SpecWar K. .  

Depends on your priorities. IMO: For moving and shooting, shorter is better. For hunting without ear pro, suppression and repeatable POI is more important than length.  Somewhere in the middle is a happy medium that does both alright.  That's where modular can be kind of handy if it's done correctly, if you're not going to have various dedicated type cans.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 1:19:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I had the same dilemma. I got both

I ordered the Surge first, and it is a fantastic can. Yes it is longer/heavier when in full length configuration, but it sounds amazing.  The short configuration isn't bad at all.  

My suggestion: get the Surge first because it offers more versatility.  You will probably end up getting the Razor down the road anyway
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 1:21:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd get the Razor and save the money and length.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 7:29:03 PM EDT
[#8]
If your going for maximum suppression get the Surge, if length and weight is a concern get the Razor. I got the Surge first and my Razor should be approved around summer.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 7:59:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a recce 7 already, so that matched the surge pretty well in terms of weight and length in the K configuration and reduction of sound in the long. . . So I got the razor to be shorter and lighter.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 1:08:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a recce 7 already, so that matched the surge pretty well in terms of weight and length in the K configuration and reduction of sound in the long. . . So I got the razor to be shorter and lighter.
View Quote
Same, my Razor is on form 3 to my dealer now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top