Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2017 12:55:59 AM EDT
So I am pretty tempted to jump on the GM22 deal at silencershop and then I am thinking I'll use the $200 off towards another rimfire can. I currently have a Spectre II as my only rimfire can.

Thunderbeast take down seems to be well liked and then there is the new El Camino. Or I could do something like the aviator 2 and be less than $50 out of pocket for it. I need to do more research but am wondering who has what and what they would recommend.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:30:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I've been eyeing the El Camino myself. 
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:11:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've been eyeing the El Camino myself. 
View Quote
Why?
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:48:32 AM EDT
[#3]
The TBAC Takedown 22 and El Camino are both too new to have any real world experience data. The Takedown is getting close making its way into the general population (my F4 was filed right before 41F went into effect). So you're pretty much left with a handful of anecdotal experiences.

Also, (most likely) nobody has used Q's customer service so there's no telling what kind of experience that will be.

That being said, TBAC is a well known company and Q has some good engineers that got to practice their designs at Sig.

Not quite sure what your requirements are - you mentioned the Takedown and El Camino, both of which are Ti tube cans with stainless baffles while the Aviator 2 is mostly an Al can. What are you looking for in your next rimfire can?
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 9:37:39 AM EDT
[#4]
My personal preference would be the Rugged Oculus, Tac Sol Axiom, CSG-SS, TM WASP (just because its tiny)

I own a MASK and a Spectre II. The mask makes the Spectre II sound loud. I said that to say this. The Rugged Oculus is the only suppressor that I have heard people talk about that is possibly quieter than the MASK.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 10:22:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Owning a bunch of rimfire suppressors along with 20 plus years of suppressor use/ownship myself Engineer is on to something with his questions in his above post. There's not a one size fits all suppressor. Some are better on a pistol,others on a rifles, some middle ground on both. Size,length,weight,ease of cleaning and type of host all play a huge part in picking the right model not just performance specs alone.

Right now for a do it all suppressor today the most common are Mask or Spectre II, both perform great on rifle and pistol plus and clean easy. I tend to favor the Mask just like it's shorter length and construction.

Pistol only I still like the Element II best it's crazy quiet and more compact size/lighter weight. Personally, I still think the Element has less FRP than my Mask or Spectre II shot side by side on matching 22 pistols. Just because new stuff hits the market and becomes the "in thing" does make it unseat the old King performance wise the elements K baffles are just super effective. That said the element requires more frequent cleaning so for high volume shooting I would perfer the Mask for ease of cleaning. I have a El Camino on order I'm hoping it with turn out to be a good lite-weight/quiet pistol can for me also.

Rifle wise for range work or sport shooting there many models that sound great on a rifle with zero to low FRP and easy cleaning. Most folks rule on the Sparrow SS because it does has FRP on a pistol that said on a rifle it's silly quiet and ultra easy to clean. If you add a few drops of water to the Monocore suppressors like the sparrow, GM-22, Regulator they are nuts quiet on a rifle and it wipes out FRP on pistols fired wet. My GM-22 wet sounds noticeable better than my Mask dry on a handgun FRP wise.

That surprised me because dry the Gm-22 has loud FRP on a handgun. Yes I know that's dry to wet not a fair head to head, but I don't mind shooting the GM-22 wet because it's so easy to unscrew and wash right out after shooting. I don't like shooting my Mask wet because it makes more of a mess inside and the baffles tend to stick/get  harder to remove at cleaning time.

For hunting, back yard shooting and low volume type shooting cleaning isn't huge deal you should focus more on first shot FRP since you will often just fire one shot.

Range type shooting better look for a high volume, easy to clean model.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 10:59:10 AM EDT
[#6]
$299 plus a $200 gift card is a smoking deal for a GM22!  I have a Gemtech Outback 2 w/ IOU core (almost identical to GM22) and it is crazy quiet and almost weightless.  It would be the perfect compliment to your Spectre 2, you'd have one super heavy duty stainless rimfire can and one super lightweight but still durable and quiet rimfire can.  Then you could take that $200 and put it toward another can
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:20:38 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a deadair mask HD on my M&P .22 and love it. Not sure if that helps, but figured I'd share.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:32:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Why?
View Quote
That's a good question. There's just something about it I like. 
The reason I haven't bought one is I'm worried that the way the baffles are designed it would collect lead and be hard to clean. 
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 4:26:13 PM EDT
[#9]
The El Camino having stainless steel baffles you could always just dip the baffles they should clean up that way even with the deeper cone design. I will try it in 8 plus months when My stamp arrives  
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 5:01:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
$299 plus a $200 gift card is a smoking deal for a GM22!  I have a Gemtech Outback 2 w/ IOU core (almost identical to GM22) and it is crazy quiet and almost weightless.  It would be the perfect compliment to your Spectre 2, you'd have one super heavy duty stainless rimfire can and one super lightweight but still durable and quiet rimfire can.  Then you could take that $200 and put it toward another can
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
lol did you read my OP

Quoted:
The TBAC Takedown 22 and El Camino are both too new to have any real world experience data. The Takedown is getting close making its way into the general population (my F4 was filed right before 41F went into effect). So you're pretty much left with a handful of anecdotal experiences.

Also, (most likely) nobody has used Q's customer service so there's no telling what kind of experience that will be.

That being said, TBAC is a well known company and Q has some good engineers that got to practice their designs at Sig.

Not quite sure what your requirements are - you mentioned the Takedown and El Camino, both of which are Ti tube cans with stainless baffles while the Aviator 2 is mostly an Al can. What are you looking for in your next rimfire can?
Hell if I know what I want that's why I'm here. I don't have any machine guns so I don't need it to be full auto rated. Right now I have a pile of 22/45s a SR22 and a few different rifles.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 5:43:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I have a deadair mask HD on my M&P .22 and love it. Not sure if that helps, but figured I'd share.
View Quote
I'll second this!
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 6:10:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'll second this!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll second this!
Yep,  very happy with both my masks for 22lr pistol & rifle use.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 6:25:06 PM EDT
[#13]
I love my GM-22. It has a bit more FRP on pistols than my other rimfire cans,  but it is also significantly lighter. It's worth the tradeoff for me personally. I'm considering grabbing another with this current promo.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:54:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'll second this!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll second this!
Unfortunately silencer shop doesn't sell dead air or silencerco do my options are limited
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 9:16:36 PM EDT
[#15]
I would lean towards the El Camino or Regulater they are both under $400 at SS. The oculus would be another to keep a eye on, but it's out of stock now. The GM-22 deal is crazy and I do really like my GM-22 stupid lite weight,compact and  very quiet on rifle dry/ alittle FRP dry on pistol, but wet the core it's very quiet then no FRP.

A little size reference from the Spectre II vs. GM-22. Weight difference is  night and day Gm-22 feels like it's not even attached to barrel.

Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:12:04 PM EDT
[#16]
TacSol Axiom is an amazing can. Wish I had another. I have two masks which are also awesome
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 7:30:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
TacSol Axiom is an amazing can. Wish I had another. I have two masks which are also awesome
View Quote
That's good to hear. I chose that one from the Silencer Shop's lineup.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:05:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:20:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Sneak Peek -  you might want to look at the NEW AAC can

http://i.imgur.com/wI8NocO.png

Wait till next week...
View Quote
Can you share a pic of the Front and Back caps?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:52:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Wait till next week...
View Quote

Interesting. First time I've seen a cutout on the baffle skirt like that. Does it make a noticeable difference in turbulence/performance?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:27:05 AM EDT
[#21]
The cut on the lip of the cone is actually a notch that indexes with a tab inside the spacer to align the baffles. This scheme allows us to completely insulate the ID of the tube from fouling.

Mike Smith/AAC
SilentMike
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:46:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Wait till next week...
View Quote
Oh man, looks good.  I like the enclosed baffle stack design.  It's one reason I've held off on the element 2.  This looks like it may be my next rimfire suppressor depending on weight, length and material specs.  April 27th NRA ??
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:57:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Yep. Full reveal on the 27th.

Mike Smith/AAC
SilentMike
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:21:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Wait till next week...
View Quote
I'm still mad at you for choosing now to build a run of cyclops. Been waiting forever but don't know if now is the right time.

Maybe I could use the $200 gift certificate towards it or the brake it doesn't come with

Really wish I could actually play with one in person. Never have seen one in the wild
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 3:30:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Ordered the GM22. Still doing research on what other can to buy.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:43:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Ordered the GM22. Still doing research on what other can to buy.
View Quote
That's a good choice. I don't think I've ever heard anyone say anything bad about the GM22
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:50:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Love my GM-22 way more than I though I would. Quick tip always grease the threads that attach monocore to tube for easy break open and try a few drops of gun oil on the mono core  then take some shoots on a pistol :)

It will be very quiet from the first shot (FRP) through the entire mag.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 1:51:36 AM EDT
[#28]
I wish I could tell you about my TBAC 22 takedown, but my stamp hasn't come back..
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 2:13:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Wait till next week...
View Quote
Yeah, I'd listen to this advice.

What I happen to know about this says there's no reason it won't be super competitive.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 6:52:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

What I happen to know about this says there's no reason it won't be super competitive.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait till next week...

Patiently waiting......
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 9:10:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
Have you shoot them side by side yet?  I hoping to do it this weekend to see how they both sound.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 11:33:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 9:06:34 PM EDT
[#33]
I shot both the Axiom and the mask next to each other and the Axiom had a bit more frp on a pistol. I'm talking just a little bit.  The Axiom and and the mask are the same loudness and hard to tell them apart.  

Anyone who is looking for a shielded baffle 22 suppressor would not be disappointed with it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 10:36:15 PM EDT
[#34]
I was going to get a Oculus, but I wonder if the AAC can is modular?
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 9:23:14 AM EDT
[#35]
The new can is feature rich. I believe folks will be very pleased.

Mike Smith/AAC
SilentMike
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 10:16:15 AM EDT
[#36]
Any idea when the new AAC rimfire will start shipping to dealers ?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top