Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/18/2017 11:29:12 AM EDT
Recently got my first couple of suppressors, one of which is a SiCo Octane 9HD. So far I've shot in on my 9mm SBR (Colt pattern AR w/4.5" barrel) , G17 and P226 Legion SAO. So far loving it on my SBR but not digging it that much on my pistols. Balance and feel sucks on both of them. There is too much blowback on the Glock (which I was expecting) and the recoil on the 226 is surprising. Neither pistol has supressor height sights or an RMR so aiming sucks too. Yes, I can "shoot through" the can and hit the target but it's not very accurate.

I don't (and never did) plan on using the suppressor on a pistol for any sort or practical/tactical/SD type purposes, just for fun. I had planned to buy/build a dedicated pistol suppressor host with tall sights and/or RMR but honestly, once I got past the initial excitement of actually having a suppressor mounting on my handgun, I didn't find it all that entertaining or fun to shoot on those pistols. At this point I thinking I'll probably skip the dedicated pistol host thing and probably leave the Octane on the SBR most of the time?

So am I just weird or have others come to the same conclusion? Poll incoming
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 11:43:38 AM EDT
[#1]
No I don't, but I do it anyway because practice.

My nightstand gun is a Glock 17 with an AAC EVO-9, so I shoot suppressed centerfire handguns to maintain proficiency.

That being said, shooting suppressed is still fun.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 11:43:43 AM EDT
[#2]
My pistol can is a Osprey so the sights are still usable and I use it on large size guns like a 92FS. My other pistol can is 22lr and it small enough to not block the sights.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 11:51:06 AM EDT
[#3]
I remember my first 9mm can and thinking the same as you voiced. Like after you got over the 'cool guy' factor, it kinda sucked. However, I do really enjoy shooting handguns suppressed, but as you have found, tossing it on a 'regular' gun kind of sucks the fun out of it. Yeah you can kind of "shoot through" the obstructed sights to get decent hits if you needed to for some sort of defense situation, but for plinking and such is not fun trying to hit clay pigeon etc. They also suck when you hand the gun to a newer shooter who then goes "how do I aim it"? So, to me, some sort of taller sights, red dot, or visible laser, is a must.

I have an M&P set up with suppressor sights and an RMR that is a hoot to shoot.
You might also find that browning tilting barrel type actions are not the most fun. That piston on the front is basically throwing the can forward and then snapping it back in addition to the slide doing its thing under recoil. A Beretta M9 with its non tilting barrel or a HK P9S with its fixed barrel are much more enjoyable to shoot. You also do not need a booster on those platforms, so the suppressor can be lighter and or shorter.

So yeah, they are fun to shoot, but more of a dedicated platform thing. They are great for new or casual shooters as the low recoil and noise makes it much more relaxing and easier for them to focus on shooting and hearing instructions. They are also great for that casual out in the middle of nowhere shooting where you and a buddy go "I bet you can't hit that stick over there" without the whole valley you are shooting in sounding like Tora Bora. Where suppressed handguns are really fun is on .22's as they are so light and most do not need higher sights etc.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:04:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I do.  I use a glock 26 for my titanium can.  With a 15 round mag with the mag sleeve it balances fairly well.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:11:43 PM EDT
[#5]
For the amount of suppressors I have. I probably haven't enjoyed them as most would believe. A lot has to do with making time, which has become scarce recently. It's more fun with a couple of people and definetly more fun when done in the open and not at a range. You also need the correct ammo, it ruins the "wow" effect when it's not quiet.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:57:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Springfield xdm 9mm with Omega 9k and it's a blast to shoot suppressed.  No blow back at all and recoil is about like a 22lr pistol.  We had a family get together recently and the relatives were sitting outside having conversations and the kids on the porch playing while me and some others were shooting in the backyard toward some open pasture.  No one even stopped talking or was even phased by the shooting.  Unsuppressed those talking outside would have been damn thats loud I'm going inside, it was great.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:01:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Suppressed guns are fun - some less so than others but still, a good time
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:04:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't like shooting my Mystic X on my P226 due to the regular sights but I just a XDM with suppressor sights and it's a lot of fun.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:13:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So yeah, they are fun to shoot, but more of a dedicated platform thing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
So yeah, they are fun to shoot, but more of a dedicated platform thing.
I figured that a dedicated gun with an RMR would make it more fun. Just not sure at this point if the fun factor would be high enough to justify the cost of a dedicated gun?

If I do go that way, not sure what platform to choose? I do think a fixed barrel as opposed to a Browning style tilt barrel may be the way to go but that does drastically lower the number of options? A Beretta 92/M9 is tempting because I have been wanting to get one anyway but that seems like the hardest platform to start with in regards to getting a threaded barrel, replacing the front sight, etc. but I could be wrong, haven't looked into it much?

I've also read the HK USP Tacticals make great hosts even though I do not think they are fixed barreled?

Quoted:
Where suppressed handguns are really fun is on .22's as they are so light and most do not need higher sights etc.
Yeah, I also picked up a Mask HD that I have on a 22/45. That is fun except for having to constantly load those 10rd mags!

Quoted:
It's more fun with a couple of people and definetly more fun when done in the open and not at a range. You also need the correct ammo, it ruins the "wow" effect when it's not quiet.
I have been shooting at an outdoor private range that I have had to myself so no EarPro needed. That part has been great. I did hear a noticeable difference between shooting out in the open vs. under the covered bench area. For ammo I have been using Speer Lawman 147gr and Fiocchi 158gr so no sonic crack but not as quiet as I was hoping for either. That could be my fault for having unrealistic expectations?

I knew it wouldn't be "Hollywood quiet" and it is well within hearing safe range so that's cool but I am hearing more than just the action cycling and the round hitting the target. Seems louder to me then the video's I've seen online but I know that they says the video's are a little misleading. At some point I'm going to try loading my own 147gr rounds and seeing what I can come up with?
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:16:59 PM EDT
[#10]
XDM huh? I had an XD back in the day. Didn't really care for it so I got rid of it but might be willing to give the XDM a try if it suppresses well?
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:58:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Never tried it.  Seems like the size and weight would throw me off.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 2:04:25 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm not a fan of it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 2:10:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Suppressed guns are fun - some less so than others but still, a good time
View Quote
Yup - I enjoy shooting 1911s, Glocks are ok, I've only got a couple mags into a Sig P320 before it lunched the threads so I can't really tell you if it's any good or not..

But my hands-down favorite to shoot with a can on it is my Hi-Power. I don't know what it is about it but it's easily the cleanest with regards to soot on the hands, and has the least blow-back of any of the pistols I've tried with a can on it. I have a Beretta 92FS that I need to spend some quality time with as well, but I am guessing it's very sooty/dirty as there's no way that open top barrel design will stop any of the blow-back from getting to the shooter..
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 2:11:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Glock 19 mos with rds and omega9k suppressor is a lot of fun.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 2:12:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Just think if you didn't havta clean 'em.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 2:24:10 PM EDT
[#16]
I was teaching about 8 kids this weekend to shoot with a Sig Mosquito and Outback IID.  Everyone would line up and the first few kids in line would load their magazines while the kid in front would shoot.  Everyone could clearly hear the instructions, and the suppressor made it easier for them to understand muzzle control.  All had a great time watching plastic Easter eggs blow up.

Suppressed rimfire pistols rock, cleaning after all that shooting... not so much.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 2:37:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Wish my commie state allowed it. You poor free-staters and your off balanced, suppressed handguns. I'd take one in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 2:50:54 PM EDT
[#18]
The only pistols I really "enjoy" shooting suppressed is my .22s.

Other than that I'm not a fan.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 2:56:08 PM EDT
[#19]
22 handguns with a can is fun.

Got my Mk4 last week and coupled with a Dead Air Mask, its fun as hell.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 3:11:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Yea, 22 pistols with suppressors are fun.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 3:16:34 PM EDT
[#21]
More fun than a truckload of fireworks on the 4th of July

Link Posted: 4/18/2017 3:47:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Suppress all the things.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 3:54:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Yes, it rocks.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 3:57:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Shooting handguns suppressed is fun, but I agree not as fun as on an SBR...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 4:19:25 PM EDT
[#25]
I had an H&K MP5 A3 (S&H conversion of an H&K 94) and a AWC 9mm suppressor that worked great and I could fire it on full auto (standard supersonic rounds, not subsonic) without having to wear ear muffs or ear plugs. Now I have an M16A1 and an AAC 240SD suppressor and I can also shoot full auto without having to wear earplugs or muffs (using standard factory supersonic ammo). This suppressor also works great on suppressing my .308 caliber rifles. Then I bought a Silencerco Osprey and was expecting the same type of sound suppression. Boy was I wrong. I had it on a Glock 17 9mm and it was very uncomfortable to shoot. I had to use ear plugs. I'm starting to have second thoughts on the efficiency of pistol suppressors if my experience with my Osprey is any indication of all pistol suppressors.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 4:24:46 PM EDT
[#26]
i use the suppressed 22 to teach new shooters almost monthly. it's nice to show muzzle control, it means there is no recoil or noise to frighten them (not much but still) and it means we can all talk to each other while it's happening.

It's not quite movie quiet. Now with a bolt gun or 10/22 shooting those suppressor ready rounds? Oh man, giggle factor even for grown ass men.

Suppressed is good, but doesn't make sense on an HD pistol to me. I have an SBR so with that, I have more power in a shorter package than I would with a 1911 with can extended to shoot.

IDK but when HPA passes i will suppress all the things. Until then I might only buy one do-everything can and even that's far on the back burner.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 4:25:40 PM EDT
[#27]
My favorite suppressed gun is my 22/45 with a Gemtech Outback II.

It is BB gun quiet and everybody that shoots it, loves it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 4:38:12 PM EDT
[#28]
My P226 with an Obsidian and 22 lb recoil spring is giggle quiet. Now that I have them, I use suppressors as much as possible.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:02:04 AM EDT
[#29]
I suppress my G17, Sig 320 and FNX tactical. And I recently sold my threaded 1911. And I just bought another pistol can (obsidian). I enjoy shooting pistols more than rifles. And shooting suppressed pistols is almost as fun as shooting suppressed rimfire imo.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:57:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/55187/mak-190189.JPG
View Quote
Most excellent pistol there.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 9:17:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 9:27:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 10:07:34 AM EDT
[#33]
when I move out to our rural homestead I will carry a holstered pistol, but will always have suppressed something nearby. either in the truck/gator/house. All of the incidents you've said can happen with a minute of prep, where the pistol is for the oh shit emergency.

You're already talking about not having it attached. How does that take longer than grabbing a rifle off the rack?

Granted here in Dallas most of my day to day does not involve shooting anything, but always being ready to ;)
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:14:56 AM EDT
[#34]
I don't.
I wish I didn't buy a 9mm can first.
Almost didn't buy another can because of the wait, paper work, etc and the let down when I actually got it.

I need some type of 9mm SBR.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:59:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Yes, but it is nowhere near as good as shooting a suppressed rifle.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:07:30 PM EDT
[#36]
I don't like shooting them unless it's a .22.  I've shot 9mm Glocks and XD's suppressed and getting all the unburned powder spit back into my face sucks.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:21:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Suppress everything.

Is suppressd pistol shooting as much fun as rimfire, rifle, and SBR?  Not so much, though it depends on the host and use.

It has its value, for example, it's a lot easier to go hiking with a holstered pistol and a can in a pouch than carrying a rifle with a can around.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:27:25 PM EDT
[#38]
My first silencer was a 45, which is loud but acceptable. I knew what to expect beforehand. I have the XS big dot sights on the host and it's super easy to sight with them "through" the silencer since you're not shooting the top anyway.

My next two were a 223 silencer and a 9mm Matrix, I use the 9mm on a 22 mosquito sometimes and it's great, and it's also fun on the beretta. Blowback isn't an issue and it's quiet enough to be fun with 147gr cheap ammo. The 223 with an SBR was still too loud, so I sold it and abandoned the idea of a 223 SBR entirely. It didn't have an issue with blowback.

My latest (waiting on a Deadair Ghost) is a Deadair Sandman, for 300 blackout. It is not "whisper quiet", but as with my first 45, I knew it wouldn't be so wasn't shocked. The tone is fine, ,the noise is fine. The only problem with it is the gas! It's like inhaling the blast directly into your nose. Going to have to tinker with it to make it shootable, I can't get through 3 magazines right now.

So, the best value for me is my SRT Matrix. Shoot it on Beretta 9mm, shoot it on AR15 in 9mm SBR, shoot it on 22 mosquito, shoot it on 22 ruger american rimfire. It's just all around fun.

I really should get dedicated 22lr can or two, but don't want to do the wait/ $200 for them. If HPA passed, I'd buy two in a heartbeat.

For a little perspective though, I don't shoot that often, usually at an indoor range. Even if I've got hearing protection on, I still prefer shooting silencers. Won't help with other shooters nearby, but still more pleasant experience. Last time I went, no one was on the range when I got there so I asked the guy if I could shoot without hearing protection (their range, their rules say "wear hearing", so I asked), he said "sure, it's your ears", so I shot some 300blk before other shooters arrived.

And yeah, as others have mentioned, if you're showing someone how to shoot, a silencer is a great tool.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 3:23:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Yup - I enjoy shooting 1911s, Glocks are ok, I've only got a couple mags into a Sig P320 before it lunched the threads so I can't really tell you if it's any good or not..

But my hands-down favorite to shoot with a can on it is my Hi-Power. I don't know what it is about it but it's easily the cleanest with regards to soot on the hands, and has the least blow-back of any of the pistols I've tried with a can on it. I have a Beretta 92FS that I need to spend some quality time with as well, but I am guessing it's very sooty/dirty as there's no way that open top barrel design will stop any of the blow-back from getting to the shooter..
View Quote
What happened to the P320? 
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 3:26:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
What happened to the P320? 
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 3:28:38 PM EDT
[#41]
I love shooting suppressed 9mm handguns:

Link Posted: 4/19/2017 4:53:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Shoot my rifles suppressed.   Only hand guns I shoot suppressed are 22s.   I believe 22s (LR) should always be suppressed.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 4:59:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Suppress all the things.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 5:08:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/55187/mak-190189.JPG
Thanks.  It is as quiet as mouse farts when run wet with 100gr .380 (barrel is .380)...
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:53:30 PM EDT
[#45]
I literally felt like I was the star of a bukkake film when I first shot my 19 with an Octane 9HD.

If I could get my money back, I would return it. Maybe I'll use it on a 300BLK build one day.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 1:20:57 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I literally felt like I was the star of a bukkake film when I first shot my 19 with an Octane 9HD.

If I could get my money back, I would return it. Maybe I'll use it on a 300BLK build one day.
View Quote
Sub par host, gassy can
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:50:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Well I may be in the minority (no surprise) but at least I'm not alone
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 5:19:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Just think if you didn't havta clean 'em.
View Quote
yep. thats me too.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:21:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Don't like it because it's clunky and crap goes in your face.  But I do it cuz of the noise factor makes it more comfortable.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:40:12 PM EDT
[#50]
I have an HK VP9 with raised suppressor sights and an RMR......it is pretty sweet over a standard handgun with a threaded barrel.  I've had a threaded M9 with raised Millet sights and a HK P30 with standard sights.....definitely more fun with the VP9.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top