User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 10:28:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 11:31:21 AM EDT
[#2]
I am not a rich guy, but I value my time. When you consider trip to a Walgreens (which is not free), a trip to the local PD and the typical government inefficiency of "wait here, we'll be right with you" vs. clicking a few things on a website while sitting in my underwear watching TV, sure seems worth $40 to me.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 11:53:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am not a rich guy, but I value my time. When you consider trip to a Walgreens (which is not free), a trip to the local PD and the typical government inefficiency of "wait here, we'll be right with you" vs. clicking a few things on a website while sitting in my underwear watching TV, sure seems worth $40 to me.
View Quote
Can it be done completely online if your prints and photos are already in SilencerShop's system? Because all I've seen is that you can now do everything via the kiosk.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 12:04:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
yup. a lot of people in this thread don't value their time enough.  For me, my local PD matches my working hours perfectly, so I'd have to take time off just to go there. Even if that wasn't the case, I'd still rather pay the fee than waste my free time.

$40 seems fair, considering that SS has to pay for the hardware costs of the kiosks, the cost of printing out mugshots and prints, and the salary of the people handling/sending off your paperwork.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 1:10:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You could've always paid $200 for your AR pistol to become an SBR...this doesn't change that.

You fingerprint yourself on the kiosk and take a photo with their app on your phone.

The kiosk and the app were both...not great...when I used them. Thankfully since I've been through that pain in the ass process already, Form 1s via the kiosk should now be as quick and painless as E-forms were. Granted I'll have to leave the house to do it, but I won't have to deal with ATF's fucktastic website. Give and take I guess.
View Quote
I know I'm just now coming around to your point of view that my AR pistol would be more comfortable as a SBR. This seems like it would be easy.

I guess I just have to find a place around me here in good old Gilbert that has a kiosk. Seems like the rest I can do on my phone.

I like easy. Although easy seems to make money fly out if my wallet faster. Lol.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 1:22:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Can it be done completely online if your prints and photos are already in SilencerShop's system? Because all I've seen is that you can now do everything via the kiosk.
View Quote
If you're already in the Silencer Shop system (trust, prints, photos), you can do the whole thing while on the toilet if you like. Everything will be doable on the website.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 4:01:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Prints can be done at a kiosk or local and sent to us. We have an app for the photo. Once you are in the system you don't have to do it again.
View Quote
So if my prints are not in your system and there is no powered by dealer close, just mail in the cards with my prints and use the app for a photo and I'll be good?
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 4:26:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If you're already in the Silencer Shop system (trust, prints, photos), you can do the whole thing while on the toilet if you like. Everything will be doable on the website.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh hell yes. Yeah I'll pay $40 for that with a swiftness. Especially since there's pretty much one more SBR I want anyway.

It was nice when E-forms could get the same done for free though.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 5:20:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 6:06:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That is correct. Then we scan your prints into the system and you don't have to worry about it for the next one.
View Quote
Is there a spot on your website to search for kiosks local to us?

Gilbert, AZ 85295

ETA nvm. I found it. Looks like I'm going to C2 Tactical for my fingers and the rest I'll do on my shitter and in X months my pistol will be a SBR. Cool.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 6:13:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That is correct. Then we scan your prints into the system and you don't have to worry about it for the next one.
View Quote
Sounds good I'll mail my card out next week.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 6:52:47 PM EDT
[#12]
The Powered by system is great. I used it a couple of months ago on my last suppressor. About half a hour after I bought the stamp I was sitting at a local restaurant having chips and salsa with a beer and got the email to sign the form 4 . I signed it on my phone with a great deal of satisfaction.

When I do a form 1 I'll use it without a second thought. Too easy and I have ten sets of fingerprint cards in a folder.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 8:17:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Anyone here complaining about $40 is definitely new to the NFA game ... Seriously! EVERYTHING that is NFA related costs money ... 40 bucks for the speed, ease of use, & accuracy of Silencer Shops system is a bargain ...
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 8:32:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Anyone here complaining about $40 is definitely new to the NFA game ... Seriously! EVERYTHING that is NFA related costs money ... 40 bucks for the speed, ease of use, & accuracy of Silencer Shops system is a bargain ...
View Quote
First, I don't see anyone complaining about $40. I see quite a few people saying that $40 is a little steep. That's not complaining, that's feedback.

Second, it's not a bargain considering a year ago we could file Form 1s electronically for free while sitting on the toilet before the government intervened.

Third, what the hell constitutes new to the NFA game to you? Several silencers, SBRs, and a machine gun?
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 9:55:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
First, I don't see anyone complaining about $40. I see quite a few people saying that $40 is a little steep. That's not complaining, that's feedback.

Second, it's not a bargain considering a year ago we could file Form 1s electronically for free while sitting on the toilet before the government intervened.

Third, what the hell constitutes new to the NFA game to you? Several silencers, SBRs, and a machine gun?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are just mincing words now.

$40 is expensive for some. If I could get my prints cheaper it would be a deal breaker but at $20 a set it's a lot closer to worth it. Especially when you are talking about a couple grand in stamps
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 10:18:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
True, 83 years ago you could buy one from the hardware store before the government intervened.

But considering ecerthing what it does, it is as close to the efile system as we can get. As long as your photo and print are on file, you can sit on your toilet and order off the SS website.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 12:42:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

$40 is expensive for some. If I could get my prints cheaper it would be a deal breaker but at $20 a set it's a lot closer to worth it. Especially when you are talking about a couple grand in stamps
View Quote
Wait, if $40 is expensive to person X how or why are they buying anything NFA?  Sounds like they need to get their finances in order before entering into NFA land if a $40 entry fee is a steep sum.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 12:50:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
True, 83 years ago you could buy one from the hardware store before the government intervened.

But considering ecerthing what it does, it is as close to the efile system as we can get. As long as your photo and print are on file, you can sit on your toilet and order off the SS website.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree. Mine are on file with SS, so if I can do everything from home then I'm fine with paying $40 for that. If I had to drive to my nearest dealer with a kiosk every time I want to do a Form 1, I wouldn't be fine with paying $40.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait, if $40 is expensive to person X how or why are they buying anything NFA?  Sounds like they need to get their finances in order before entering into NFA land if a $40 entry fee is a steep sum.
Some people here still know the value of a dollar, even if they have $40,000 worth of guns. A service is only worth what it's worth. It doesn't matter if you're filing a Form 1 to build a $4,000 SBR vs. a $400 SBR - that doesn't mean SS's service should suddenly be worth more because you're spending more.

Rich people didn't get that way by hemorrhaging money.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 1:21:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
I've been trying to convince my dealer to get the stuff to do fingerprints and photographs in his store, but he still doesn't believe you don't need to be certified. He sends folks to this passport place that charges $50, I told him to buy a printer and inkpad and charge $25.

If he could get a Kiosk it'd be great, but convincing him of that seems unlikely.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 2:07:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
This sounds like the attitude of someone who WANTS NFA to  continue to be expensive and hard to attain.  

If something like NFA gets easier to attain and more mainstream, I would expect the cost to come down, not go up.

Another fee, another tax, more time invested to learn how to do it yourself or if it's worth paying someone $40.  Instead of out shooting or something else.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 3:03:13 PM EDT
[#21]
There isn't a kiosk near me, but there is one near my folks.  Do I have to be making a transaction in order to get in the system,  or can I go ahead and use the kiosk next time I'm visiting and then do the form one later?
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 3:34:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I agree. Mine are on file with SS, so if I can do everything from home then I'm fine with paying $40 for that. If I had to drive to my nearest dealer with a kiosk every time I want to do a Form 1, I wouldn't be fine with paying $40.

Some people here still know the value of a dollar, even if they have $40,000 worth of guns. A service is only worth what it's worth. It doesn't matter if you're filing a Form 1 to build a $4,000 SBR vs. a $400 SBR - that doesn't mean SS's service should suddenly be worth more because you're spending more.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't even have to be rich. $40 is a couple dinners, a tank of gas, groceries, etc etc. It is also 20% the cost of the stamp which is what I find excessive. If the ATF charged a 20% processing tax people would lose their mind over it.

Last year I had a pile of stuff I submitted. If I had paid $40 a item it would have eaten up the cost of a couple stamps. People say things like what is your time worth but unfortunately many of us have a lot more time than money.

That being said I am interested to see their unlimited option or any other alternatives. If something shows up that lets me pay the one $40 fee but submit multiple forms at the same time I am in for sure.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 3:44:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
There isn't a kiosk near me, but there is one near my folks.  Do I have to be making a transaction in order to get in the system,  or can I go ahead and use the kiosk next time I'm visiting and then do the form one later?
View Quote
No one in Missouri has one local to me, so I was able to drive across the state line to Kansas where I obviously could not be ordering a suppressor at the time. I was able to put my prints and photo in and now it's my understanding that I can use that information when I do my next form 4.

I would call the store with near your folks and  ask them if they will let you use the system, most I talked to are very nice and helpful. I was going to do something similar since there are several dealers in St Louis near my folks across state from Kansas City.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 3:45:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Don't even have to be rich. $40 is a couple dinners, a tank of gas, groceries, etc etc. It is also 20% the cost of the stamp which is what I find excessive. If the ATF charged a 20% processing tax people would lose their mind over it.

Last year I had a pile of stuff I submitted. If I had paid $40 a item it would have eaten up the cost of a couple stamps. People say things like what is your time worth but unfortunately many of us have a lot more time than money.

That being said I am interested to see their unlimited option or any other alternatives. If something shows up that lets me pay the one $40 fee but submit multiple forms at the same time I am in for sure.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly. Especially the part in red.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 3:59:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

This sounds like the attitude of someone who WANTS NFA to  continue to be expensive and hard to attain.  

If something like NFA gets easier to attain and more mainstream, I would expect the cost to come down, not go up.

Another fee, another tax, more time invested to learn how to do it yourself or if it's worth paying someone $40.  Instead of out shooting or something else.
View Quote
It's not though.

Things like this separate educated, financially smart people from the rest. That's not meant to be a shot at your or anyone else in this thread btw. It's a skill one has to learn.

Example: I once tried helping a doctor with his failing private practice. Very long story short he didn't grasp the simple concept of cost benefit analysis.

If he was seeing patients he was making hundreds of dollars an hour. But since he was a control freak he would stop seeing patients to try and play IT guy, instead of hiring one at $25 an hour.

He would stop seeing patients and try and play office manager instead of hiring one at $25 an hour.

Now I am in now way ripping on any of you that balk at the price point if $40. It's a simple matter of math.

What is your time worth to you?  Time is one of if not the most valuable assets we have.

First we must find out how long this new process takes a person who is sitting on their toilet.

Does it take an hour?
Do you make more than $40?
Do you value your family time?  
Your personal time?
Do you have other responsibilities that are worth more in time or money?

One must determine this. If this service is $40 and takes ten minutes and can be done anywhere I think that's worth it to busy, professional adults.

Younger adults with less family and just starting out in their career maybe it's not worth it.

I have maybe an SBR I want and one more can. I have a busy life and health issues.

So $40, to me, is worth it. Plus I just hate hassle. Hate it. I like easy and if it's really quick and easy I'll pay.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 5:19:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
We are listening to you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is something that needs an "Unlimited" option or a volume discount.
We are listening to you.
Stop it I can feel you in my head right now

Iwill be buying more. Can you email the closest finger print place other than family firearms I'm in Ruskin Fl. I will be buying more. I needzzz it. I'm addicted now

You guys are great by the way. I bought six suppressors from you at once in july. Got them all but two. The ones that the form 3s were lost on and had to be resubmitted and suppressors were sent to St Pete to Colt finally.

Griffin RECCE 5 MOD3 and ALPHA

You guys are fantastic. My first suppressers as a civilian. I will use your form 1 svs.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 6:01:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 7:08:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Thank you I will be in touch . I bought nine this past july but I think I missed something.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 8:22:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

We have.

Keep in mind that if you Powered By dealer carries a brand we don't have you can still use our system.
View Quote

The more you know...
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 8:58:59 PM EDT
[#30]
If I do not have a finger print scanner close to me. I can send you filled out finger print card right. Is there any way for you guys to scan copies of the finger print cards. Or would I have to snail mail a you a cards every time I do something
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 9:23:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
If I do not have a finger print scanner close to me. I can send you filled out finger print card right. Is there any way for you guys to scan copies of the finger print cards. Or would I have to snail mail a you a cards every time I do something
View Quote
Snail mail them one time, and SS will scan them into their system.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 9:24:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Snail them one time, and SS will scan them into their system.
View Quote
Oooh...
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 9:28:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Oooh...
View Quote
I have a bad habit of not typing some words I'm thinking...
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 12:31:13 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I have a bad habit of not typing some words I'm thinking...
View Quote
I have the same problem. Post first then edit. Hum....
Anyway, I snail mailed them a printed fingerprint card and a passport size photo, and it's been scanned into their system for the
future
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 8:21:22 AM EDT
[#35]
Cool I get that taken care of. Not being able to do electronic form 1 anymore suck.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 1:21:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

What is your time worth to you?  Time is one of if not the most valuable assets we have.

One must determine this. If this service is $40 and takes ten minutes and can be done anywhere I think that's worth it to busy, professional adults.

So $40, to me, is worth it. Plus I just hate hassle. Hate it. I like easy and if it's really quick and easy I'll pay.
View Quote
Bingo.  The cost benefit analysis is something that can get lost on some people.  "Penny wise, pound foolish" comes to mind.

I've got a couple of acquaintances I work around who have very solid incomes but do some of the most bizarre things.   One works 6 days a week and pulls in more cash than anyone else in his field in the area, he's a work a holic and quite... thrifty.  He was bragging about aerating his two years ago on a Saturday.  What was probably his first Saturday off in a year.  He went to Home depot, rented a huge machine, brought it home, did his yard.. in only 5 hours and then returned the machine before they closed.  He was quite proud of his 'record time'.  He spent 8 hours and whatever the rental cost was.  This is a guy that earns high 3 figures an hour depending on what he's doing.  His choices that day:  A) spend time with his wife and children. B) Earn at least $4,000 by working for 8 hours C) "Save" $150 and sacrifice his first Saturday off in months.  He choose C.  Boggles the mind.

Got another guy who makes the family pack sandwiches and bring them into the park when they went on vacation to Disney... he doesn't earn anywhere near the other gentleman I mentioned but he still probably averages around $75 an hour.  What was that guy saving per person vs getting a bugger or turkey leg? Time spent visiting a local grocery store, cost of the bread / meat / cheese / condiments and time spent making them plus the hassle of lugging them around for a few hours?  Hardly seems worth it that case.  Work an extra hour or two and cover yourself for entire week vs packign sandwiches.  

Conversely if you earn $10 an hour then doing things yourself makes a lot more sense.

"What is your time worth?"  

In any case, if it's your first submission with Silencer Shop a person physically looks everything over before it gets sent out.  Part of that $40 goes to cover that guys (or lady's) salary not just the tech/hardware/software investment made to make it all happen.  

I wonder if, in addition to a "all you can file" option, they considered a "first time" fee vs a "followup fee" for subsequent filings?

In any case, $39 is worth it to me to save the hassles of submitting it all myself.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 1:26:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
This is something that needs an "Unlimited" option or a volume discount.
View Quote
Agreed. $40 is a lot for every form 1.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 2:40:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Lets see

Filling out paper work
Double and triple checking it
Getting finger print cards
Getting photos
Packaging up two separate envelopes one to CLEO and one to ATF
Running to Post Office and then standing in line maybe
Cost of postage
Gas
Then your time doing all of this

This isn't like it use to be when you sat at home and did it on line. Your paying for a convenience of not having to deal with doing all of the above if you DO NOT WANT TO DEAL WITH DOING IT. Simple.......

It's a service that is being offered and like any service you don't have to do it if you don't want to. They know what they need to charge to pay the cost of labor and over head and make a profit. SS not going to do it for free.  Really come on how may of you are going to be doing 5 or more form 1s a year.

I would bet most here might be doing just a few a year. 40 dollars if you do not want to deal with doing the above is worth it. I can tell you it will take alot more than 10 mins to do by the time you've finished doing everything that needs to be done.

Giving someone all your info and paying them to do all the leg work and to make absolutely positive that it's done right so that it gets through. Well like I stated above SS is a business that has to make a profit to stay a business.

Heck some of you pay that when you buy a gun on line in a transfer fee if not more.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 3:39:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Deleted...keep it in GD.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 5:01:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Deleted...keep it in GD.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 4:06:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Deleted...keep it in GD.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 6:22:13 PM EDT
[#42]
So is this for individual filing?

or do you have to use one of your Single Shot trusts?

Or do you use your current existing trust?

Won't all my responsible person on my current trust need photos and prints?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 3:46:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 5:27:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Any of those options. You can do individual, Single Shot Trust, existing trust.

If you have multiple people on your trust then yes they will be required to get printed and photoed just like any NFA form you submit. Which is why the Single Shot might be a good option for you.
View Quote
Single shot sounds great.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:05:40 AM EDT
[#45]
Guys I attended the Suppressor Shoot in Nettleton, MS yesterday and what a day it was.  Great job by all involved.  

I went ahead and submitted my fingerprints right there on the spot through Silencer Shop and man WAS IT EASY!!!  Now if they would HURRY up and get the Form 1 options set up...just kidding I had a good conversation with the Silencer Shop rep and they want to make it as "bug" free as they can before they introduce it on the street.  It should be out real soon.

I have 2 cans and an SBR Form 1 I need to get going and this new option from Silencer Shop is the answer.  Now I have to go download the app and take a pic of my ugly mug so that I will be ready to hit the "buy" button when the Form 1 option comes to life.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 3:05:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Guys I attended the Suppressor Shoot in Nettleton, MS yesterday and what a day it was.  Great job by all involved.  

I went ahead and submitted my fingerprints right there on the spot through Silencer Shop and man WAS IT EASY!!!  Now if they would HURRY up and get the Form 1 options set up...just kidding I had a good conversation with the Silencer Shop rep and they want to make it as "bug" free as they can before they introduce it on the street.  It should be out real soon.

I have 2 cans and an SBR Form 1 I need to get going and this new option from Silencer Shop is the answer.  Now I have to go download the app and take a pic of my ugly mug so that I will be ready to hit the "buy" button when the Form 1 option comes to life.
View Quote
Im ready to Form 1 my BCM lower
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 5:47:34 PM EDT
[#47]
awesome, mk18 here i come.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top