Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/25/2017 8:07:00 PM EDT
So I've been out of the suppressor market for a bit myself, even though I've seen the newer stuff like DeadAir come to market.

Is anyone doing verified testing of all these cans?  A buddy is in the market and I'd like to give him something to look at.  Numbers are somewhat important in the decision making
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:13:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I know SilencerShop has a YouTube channel where they do no nonsense straight forward reviews with numbers.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:29:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Any kind of legitimate, verified testing would be prohibitively expensive. Proper equipment to measure the gunshot is expensive and would require regular calibration to make sure that it is within spec. Then there is the cost of procuring silencers for testing - legitimate testing would require the tester to purchase off-the-shelf models for testing and multiples would have to be procured for statistically significant data. Then realize that there is no agreed to standard for testing and several variables that can affect what is measured. Where are the microphones placed? What host is used? What ammo is used? What are the environmental testing conditions? 

Even if you could nail all that down and have a consistent test setup that would be accepted by everybody, all that gives you is a dB number and does nothing to characterize the tone of a silencer.

Finally, people perceive sound differently with sensitivity to different frequencies so even objective spectral information wouldn't necessarily reveal how different people perceive a silencer to sound.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:11:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Any kind of legitimate, verified testing would be prohibitively expensive. Proper equipment to measure the gunshot is expensive and would require regular calibration to make sure that it is within spec. Then there is the cost of procuring silencers for testing - legitimate testing would require the tester to purchase off-the-shelf models for testing and multiples would have to be procured for statistically significant data. Then realize that there is no agreed to standard for testing and several variables that can affect what is measured. Where are the microphones placed? What host is used? What ammo is used? What are the environmental testing conditions? 

Even if you could nail all that down and have a consistent test setup that would be accepted by everybody, all that gives you is a dB number and does nothing to characterize the tone of a silencer.

Finally, people perceive sound differently with sensitivity to different frequencies so even objective spectral information wouldn't necessarily reveal how different people perceive a silencer to sound.
View Quote
Totally agree.  But I know MAC did some testing last year or something on quite a few cans, but he hasn't done the newer ones.

Just was curious if anyone else was doing it
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 2:47:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Better to choose 2-3 cans based on availability, price, size, weight and modularity.  Then research and dig up decibel data and 1st hand experience.   That way you first knock out the items that are easier to research and subject to user preferences.

You can then eliminate any outliers that are too loud which with modern cans today isn't going to happen often.  And on rifle cans, 2-3 db is close to meaningless.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 2:49:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Nobody does it. But if the HPA is passed, I would expect that this would become much simpler to do.

Your buddy could post here and get some good advice.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 5:03:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Decide on a few models then post in your HTF. I'll bet members would meet you at the range to let you get some trigger time before buying one. I have a Sandman-S in hand and an -L that just cleared & am very happy with the -S. 

dB's aren't everything; cans sound different to everyone based on individual hearing ranges and damage from shooting, mowing lawns, watching Rachel Maddow, etc.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 5:32:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So I've been out of the suppressor market for a bit myself, even though I've seen the newer stuff like DeadAir come to market.

Is anyone doing verified testing of all these cans?  A buddy is in the market and I'd like to give him something to look at.  Numbers are somewhat important in the decision making
View Quote

SilencerShop, MAC post numbers.

AFAIK nobody tests anything else like POI changes, accuracy, etc. Just to time consuming and expensive.

These days good cans give similar performance - it is more about avoiding a lemon than trying to get the one that is clearly "the best".
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:30:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I know SilencerShop has a YouTube channel where they do no nonsense straight forward reviews with numbers.
View Quote
If you want numbers Silencer Shop YouTube is the best place, hands down.

I do a lot of "testing", at least one new can a month but it's simply not cost effective for virtually anyone (individual) to actually do accurate dB testing.  The equipment to accurately measure dB's for gun shots is 5 figures and they have to be calibrated every so often.

Then you have to consider the temperature, I'm in the midwest, even if I had a calibrated and appropriate device, I couldn't use it for 1/3 of the year because it's so dang cold, the numbers would be off because of the temp.  i.e. 70's is generally where most "accepted" tests are done.  In doors who is going to build the appropriate facility, even on a empty indoor range the concrete walls indoors are going to give some issues.  That's why you don't see it being regularly done, with very rare exceptions.

Personally I have been focusing on good, clean audio between the past 6 silencer videos to have the exact same manual settings on my mics to ensure consistency from video to video so the viewer can hear, as best as can be done in a video, for themselves.

I've had a influx of requests for "POI" shifts lately.  Handguns usually see little to no shift, at least inside of 50 yards... in my experience anyway.  I talked briefly about it in the Surge review as I did some yote hunting with it at 125-150 yards.

This Spring / Summer will see more focus on POI shift for me, on rifles anyway.  When shooting the actual dB number isn't as important as how it sounds to my ears.  The dB on can A may be 1 or 2 higher but the tone is so much better on can B that I prefer B.  Everyone else hears these tones a bit differently so it's not as cut and dry as it may seem.  IMO anyway.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 11:07:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Numbers are somewhat important in the decision making
View Quote

I was a data person too.
When my State finally joined the USA, and I started shopping, was constantly watching reviews, db numbers, etc.
Then, when I could finally get several rifle cans available for testing -same barrel lengths, same ammo, etc., with several experienced shooters to help listen,
"discovered" what so many here have been posting all along:  Db numbers just don't matter that much.  
Tone makes a more noticeable difference than a few test Db points in either direction.  
Same with length.  Some 6 inch cans were voted almost equal to some 9 inch, in terms of practical effect.  The 9 was quieter, yes, but it just didn't seem to matter that much from 20 ft. away.

Type of usage (slow fire, or ratatat), mounting system, length, and weight  -are now my criteria.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 12:52:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Well I have 6 cans, but 5 of them are AAC and they've been ruled out.

The 4 manufacturers being considered are (in no particular order)

Surefire
DeadAir
Knights
Silencerco

I imagine he just wants a good 5.56 can to start, something similar to an M42000 in length.

I saw MAC's test of the new Knights can, which he rated pretty average.  I haven't seen any testing done of DeadAir's stuff (but I at least love their mount), and Silencerco's and Surefire's latest offerings.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top