Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2017 8:25:23 PM EDT
Does the hole need to be perfectly centered?  Mine seems to be a hair to one side.  It's a SiCo SpecWar 556k

UPDATE: Just shot it and it was fine.  About 30 rounds.  I did email SiCo last night so we'll see what they say.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 8:29:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Going by that picture, it looks more than a hair off. I wouldn't shoot that, if it is that bad.
Contact the manufacturer.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 8:33:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Going by that picture, it looks more than a hair off. I wouldn't shoot that, if it is that bad.
Contact the manufacturer.
View Quote
This. There is no way I would shoot through that.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 8:38:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Is that the new .30 cal Illusion?
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 8:39:00 PM EDT
[#4]
So much for testing this tomorrow lol.  Thanks guys
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 8:42:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
What does it look like when you attach it and sight through the barrel from the chamber?

They might have wire EDMed the thing and that's how it turned out - the hole is concentric to the baffle stack.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 8:48:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Its actually "normal". My specwar 762 is the same way. SICO uses EDM cutting after baffles are welded in and occasionally baffles are not completely centered in tube. Talked with SICO on the phone about it when I first got mine. Many trouble free rounds through it now.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 8:49:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What does it look like when you attach it and sight through the barrel from the chamber?

They might have wire EDMed the thing and that's how it turned out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They might have wire EDMed the thing and that's how it turned out.
Looks clear to me.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 9:39:53 PM EDT
[#8]
That looks bad but I've had a bottle of wine
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:06:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Invest in an alignment rod and check every host you mount it on before shooting. If it's centered you are good to go.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:11:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Does the hole need to be perfectly centered?  Mine seems to be a hair to one side.  It's a SiCo SpecWar 556k

http://i.imgur.com/qDdFhEr.jpg
View Quote

holy shit that is bad.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:13:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Its actually "normal". My specwar 762 is the same way. SICO uses EDM cutting after baffles are welded in and occasionally baffles are not completely centered in tube. Talked with SICO on the phone about it when I first got mine. Many trouble free rounds through it now.
View Quote
If that's normal SiCO is off my shopping list. It'll work if its aligned but Damn asthetics do have a role.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:17:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Aligned or not, I would not be happy with something that looks like a factory reject.  
Silencerco is well known for extremely good customer support.  
They must recognize that anyone seeing this as a first exposure to their products would be strongly inclined to never buy anything from them.
They should recore your tube and front end, and get it centered correctly, if only to protect their reputation.

(I'm not slamming the company, I own several Sico's -rifle, pistol, and rimfire).
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:25:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

holy shit that is bad.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

holy shit that is bad.
Right?

I mean, if it's concentric with the threads, but my god.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:30:51 PM EDT
[#14]
They are wire EDM'd so it should be good to go. One if mine is slightly off centered too although yours appears quite significant.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:32:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
That looks bad but I've had a bottle of wine
View Quote
Just keep drinking till it appears centered....
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:01:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Might be best to measure with calipers, and guiderod.  But the weld on the right side looks higher or has more buildup than the left causing an optical illusion.  Could of been offset in the welding fixture slightly which would only have an effect on weld penetration, or weld height and that could be in thousandths of an inch.  So it could be perfectly fine just looks off.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:04:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

holy shit that is bad.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

holy shit that is bad.
Holy shit indeed.

Get it...? It has a hole through it...and it looks like shit...I'll be here all week.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 1:31:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Go ahead shoot it, mine was the exactly the same.  I took pictures and emailed SiCo.

I was told  the stack is EDM cut to be concentric to the threaded QD mount.

I installed the mount and checked the bore, everything is fine.   I put couple thousand rounds through it already.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 1:47:23 AM EDT
[#19]
If I were paying for that, I'd be pissed
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 7:44:08 AM EDT
[#20]
wow I hope my two sico cans in jail don't look like that. where is the barfing emoji on this website?
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:55:42 AM EDT
[#21]
As others have said, use an alignment rod or the mk1 eyeball method to check for alignment when mounted on your rifle. If you insist on having the baffle stack and end cap replaced, the suppressor will also be shortened slightly. The end cap has to be cut off, then re-welded, so you're going to end up with even less internal volume (the specwar 556KK, perhaps).
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:10:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Looking down through the bore out the end it looks fine.  No obstructions and perfectly cylyndrical.  So I may shoot it today and see what happens
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:35:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Go ahead shoot it, mine was the exactly the same.  I took pictures and emailed SiCo.

I was told  the stack is EDM cut to be concentric to the threaded QD mount.

I installed the mount and checked the bore, everything is fine.   I put couple thousand rounds through it already.
View Quote
This. I recall an identical thread several years back before I bought my first Specwar or maybe when it was pending. I was spooked and hoping mine wasn't like the OP's because my OCD would have given me fits. But yeah in that thread SiCo had given the same response about wire EDM cutting process. Still looks though.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:42:59 AM EDT
[#24]
You just need to use the right gun:

Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:31:28 AM EDT
[#25]
In all seriousness, I examined the picture in detail.  I counted 902 pixels across horizontally and the center was 28 pixels off to the left.  That means about 3% out or about .046" off center.  I checked the figures by checking the hole diameter which turned out at .316" which I suspect is about right for a 5.56 can.  That means that if the threads were concentric to the can, then the exit diameter would allow a .270" bullet fired directly through the center of the can out.  That means that if your threads are concentric to the OD of the can and the threads on your barrel are concentric to the bore, then you would be alright with that exit hole.

All that said, there ain't no way I'd call that good.  For good measure, I measured my centerfire YHM Phantom and it was about .004" off when measured to the outside of the can as best I could figure, though I don't have proper tools to do it.  I have drill rods to check the concentricity and it was dead-center with my Remington 700.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:05:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Probably EDM wire cut.  It is fine.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:45:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Update in OP
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 4:00:15 PM EDT
[#28]
The new Osprey Specwar 556k?
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 4:19:18 PM EDT
[#29]
There's no point if it doesn't look good
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 4:35:10 PM EDT
[#30]
How does it sound?
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 5:12:41 PM EDT
[#31]
With the posts Iv been seeing the last week...
Its making it all the easier to know who NOT to by a can from.

Bottom line....it looks like shit.

Im sure this kinda quality has nothing to do with there layoffs.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 6:17:17 PM EDT
[#32]
It looks like the Os in the Hooters logo.

How the hell do they put something like that out the door and think that's okay?
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:22:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Seriously-  AAC did this 10 years ago and was beaten up for it, and, I believe, fixed the issues.

I'd be mad as hell if this were mine.  If the path through the can puts the exit at this position, it's not a 90 path through the can from one end to the other-  screwing it on it looks like a wobbly wheel- bottom line the can is not working optimally as designed.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:22:59 PM EDT
[#34]
I wouldn't care if that was my can. Cans look like shit after you shoot them enough; as long as the bore is concentric who gives a shit?

There's been tons of perfectly centered cans that have suffered baffle or endcap strikes. This one likely never will.

The ASR mount mounts to the same spot every time so there's no concern for abnormal POI shift.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:08:45 AM EDT
[#35]
That would bug the living shit out of me, even if it shot fine. OCD is a bitch. I've bought 3 SiCo cans so far but they are all removable end cap cans and built differently, so they are centered.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:18:41 PM EDT
[#36]
I wonder if the off center bullet path would have an uneven effect on the gas pressures against the bullet.  
It would be an interesting experiment to test this against another correctly centered version.  
Wouldn't have to be a benchrest bug hole grade test, unless that's the intended type of shooting; just a real world shooting test of practical accuracy at the shooter's longest ranges.  
If the shooter can't detect a difference, then there is no difference.
(Except for the mental anguish caused by the extreme ugliness, bad advertising for the company, and owning what looks like a defective product).
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:26:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I wonder if the off center bullet path would have an uneven effect on the gas pressures against the bullet.  
View Quote
It's not an off center path though - the exit hole is concentric to the stack. It's just that the outer tube is not concentric to the stack.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:51:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 1:16:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I'd still say that qualifies as an off-center path. Less distance from the projectile to the inner wall and back, so uneven gas pressure as it travels though the bore.
View Quote
The Osprey and Illusion say that doesn't matter.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 1:16:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I'd still say that qualifies as an off-center path. Less distance from the projectile to the inner wall and back, so uneven gas pressure as it travels though the bore.
View Quote
It's my understanding that the Specwar has a fully welded stack. So everything inside the stack (shown in green below) should be nice and concentric and the distance from the inner wall to the center of the bore is more or less the same at all angles (yellow line). Now stuff that inside a tube tube that isn't concentric (show in blue below) and when you EDM it, the hole will be off center to the tube (purple line) but will still be centered in the stack. A little exaggerated below, but I think this is the case:

But that's just my reasoning from looking at cutaway photos and I could easily be wrong. So this analysis is worth exactly how much you paid for it. 
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 2:40:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Also ANY asymmetric baffle like, uh, I don't know, pretty much most of them.  My Octane and Spectre II, for instance.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:37:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:52:00 PM EDT
[#43]
No but what it does indicate is that asymmetric gas expansion should not have an effect.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 1:13:51 AM EDT
[#44]
It looks like everything is welded together, and they stick it in a lathe and machine out the muzzle brake end. Then they attach it to a lazzer gun and shoot a hole through it. ZAP

Im sure its nothing to worry about...but still.

Iv seen cans made off center so you can see the sights.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top