Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2017 1:48:34 AM EDT
Greetings,

Finally brought home my Dead Air Mask HD suppressor today.  (for those keeping track/
waiting on stamps, my Frm 4 was filled out on 6/16/2016, and approved on 3/13/2017).

Anyway, put a few mags through it & shot it side-by-side with my current favorite, the
Spectre II, and thought I'd pass along a few observations for those contemplating a purchase...

To start with, the Mask is shorter (5.1" vs 5.98") & slightly wider (1.07" vs 1.0") than the SPECTRE II;
weight is very close (6.6 oz vs 6.8 oz).  Although 0.07" diameter doesn't seem like much, I
will say that it made the sights on my Walther PPK .22 a tad harder to use (vs. the Spectre).

As for performance... the Mask was slightly quieter to my ear overall, and in particular,
the FRP was noticeably less with the Mask.  (and hitherto I'd never though my Spectre II had
much FRP, e.g., vs. say a Sparrow).

After light use, the Spectre II seemed to come apart a tad easier than the Mask (I'm thinking this
is related to the fact that the baffles on the Spectre fit together more tightly than those on the
Mask, and likely allowed less blow-through).

Bottom line, still like them both, but the Mask to me is just a bit quieter.

(here's a review that says a lot of the same-- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vv6GLKOzfzw )

SD.........
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 7:07:40 AM EDT
[#1]
I've been eyeing a new Rimfire can ever since my accident and rebuild. I'm looking at this can, ocoulus, el Camino, and the hydra. Let's see what the wife says.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 8:50:51 AM EDT
[#2]
I have both the Spectre 2 and the MASK and I echo your findings.

They both sound really good on 22 rifles, The Mask just has a deeper thud on a rifle. They also both sound really good on my CZ455 17HMR the spectre 2 maybe slightly better. I will need to shoot them side by side again. I wish more people would try a suppressed 17HMR I think they would be pleasantly surprised. I had a friend over and he agreed that the 17HMR with the MASK is quieter than the MASK on a 22 with HV ammo. I do not know why. The only thing I can think of is the smaller bullet is making a smaller super sonic crack and since its 2 times as fast as HV 22 its taking the crack faster down range.

Back to the topic at hand.......

On a 22 pistol the Mask beats the Spectre 2 by a good margin. I got the Mask first (2 months ago) and about 2 weeks ago was able to pick up my Spectre 2. I put it on my M&P22c and was kinda disgusted with the performance. The mask had spoiled me that bad. On my M&P the Spectre 2 has a very pronounced FRP compared to the MASK and is much louder.

I have a small range in my back yard and with the MASK I hear little to no sound bouncing back to my position off of the tree line. The Spectre 2 on a pistol does make a  good bit of noise.

One a 22 rifle they are both awesome.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 3:02:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Was the PPK the only host you tried it on? What ammo where you using? (Although I'm guess on a rimfire pistol, it probably doesn't matter much?)

My stamp just came in for my Mask (and Octane 9HD). I will be picking them up tomorrow. Pretreating them with Dot5 on Sunday and hopefully shooting them on Monday!

I so cited!
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 3:48:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've been eyeing a new Rimfire can ever since my accident and rebuild. I'm looking at this can, ocoulus, el Camino, and the hydra. Let's see what the wife says.
View Quote
The Q erector looks awesome. Might want to wait on that vs the el Camino.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 6:34:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Filled out the paperwork for mine at the dealers today.  Gonna be a long wait 

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:37:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I've been waiting on my Mask since January 2016. Long story short, the shop manager said she sent in my paperwork a week after I purchased. I get a call in July from the owner saying that his manager was a liar and would soon be delt with, but that she never send in my papers nor the check.

I had been checkin with ATF but kept getting told that they were so far behind in entering checks that I had no way of knowing it never got sent in.

Manager even gave me a fake date the check was supposedly cashed.

So, owner refunded my $200 tax and covered it himself. Got my paperwork turned in July 8th, check was cashed July 11th. I've been waiting a LONG time.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:41:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Just picked mine up today. My Smith 422 is ridiculously quiet with it. Highly recommended.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:04:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I received my Mask this last winter and have been really impressed with not only the performance, but also the construction and cosmetics are first class. I also have the Spectre II,GM-22,Element II and a few other rimfire cans.

Overall, if I could only have one it would be the Mask it's great on a pistol and rifle. Like anything else I've found all of my cans have strengths and weakness  to them be it ease of cleaning, lighter weight, shorter length, FRP,etc, etc. That said I like them all for different reasons.

I just bought two more rimfire cans it's never ending I just love shooting rimfire pistols and rifles.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:56:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Filled out the paperwork for mine at the dealers today.  Gonna be a long wait 

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/86377/IMG-6404-173824.JPG
View Quote
Enjoy January.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:03:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Last January I came very close to buying the Mask.
But NONE of the Class III's that I haunt had it in stock.
And I despaired at using the Extra long wait using SilencerCo's selling to my Dealer.

Maybe next time year
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:04:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Enjoy January.
View Quote
Dealer estimated Halloween as a very optimistic date.  I'm expecting early 2018.  Maybe I'll get a nice surprise later this year 
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 8:26:51 AM EDT
[#12]
I cleaned my MASK last Friday. It took me about 45Min from start to finish. Wasn't bad at all just took a little elbow grease. I used some bronze and nylon brushes and a dental type pick with a flat end. I had well over 500rds thru mine closer to 1,000. I never really kept count. It has been used on my CZ455 17HMR less than 20RDS and the rest was all 10/22 & M&P22c using Agulia Subs & Standards in the rifle and random bulk pack stuff in the pistol. I did do the pre-treat of the baffles in the oven then dipped in Dot 5 brake fluid. After cleaning this time I skipped the heating method and just soaked them in the brake fluid for 2-3 min. Some of the pics show the baffles half clean. I did go back and clean them all to the level of the most shiniest one shown. The only one that was a real bugger to clean was the first baffle with the weird little ring on the bottom. The lead bulid up was pretty bad and I was tired when I got to it. (it was the last one I done)

I will be buying a tumbler in the future but as of now this method will have to work. Not as bad as others have made it out to be.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top