Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2017 1:29:31 AM EDT
Going to order my 1st can this weekend.  Looking for thoughts on what I think is the right answer for my app:

1.  Host is a 9" BCM 300BLK SBR
2.  Light total weight (muzzle device plus can) is a top criteria.  I am a LW snob and it shows on all my long guns.  I went 300BLK on this build to keep it uber short and light more so than the subsonic option aspect.
3.  Primary purpose / application is to not totally fuck my hearing if I ever have the displeasure of needing to set off thirty 110gr TAC-TX rounds inside my house at O' Dark early.
4.  Don't need QD and will still shoot that host without a can.  Regardless, quality mount is a criteria as I don't need loose can drama in my life.
5.  While I'll occasionally shoot subs for shits and giggles, most usage will be with supers.

I had narrowed down the options and I keep coming back to the TBAC Ultra 7 CB with the TBAC flash hider proprietary mount.  This can is more popular within the precision shooter community and not so much on ARs.  It is a full Ti can which means it is not sustained high rate of fire friendly, say >two magazines rapid fire, which is completely fine for my application.   Seems to meter very well for a sub 10 oz can and I can't find any complains of the can loosening on the TBAC mount.  I do like the flexibility of the Omega but it starts to get pretty chunky in weight once you get the more desirable mount / FH setup.  The best can for suppression seems to the SOCOM 300 SPS but it is a fat pig at over 20oz.

Thoughts?  Any TBAC Ultra 7 hate?
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 3:25:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Doubt you will have anyone talk bad about anything from Thunderbeast.   The Ultra 7 should meet your needs just fine.  There are cheaper options, but you will be well prepared if you ever get into precision shooting.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 7:57:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Take a look at the SAS Reaper as well.  I've never experienced a TBAC can, but I run a Reaper on my 8" 300 blackout (which I run 110 TAC-TX rounds through as well for deer) and really like it.  It's a 7' titanium can that can either be mounted via direct connect or using their TOMB (thread over muzzle brake) taper mount.  The can is 11.7 oz, and a little heavier with the standard TOMB, but if you get a titanium TOMB then you're not adding much weight on top of the 11.7 oz.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 8:56:25 AM EDT
[#3]
The ultra 7 is a nice can I have one but never tried it on a 300BLK.  Both the Ultra and the Omega can be had in direct thread that would take care of any mount drama and maybe shed some weight ? The Omega would give you other options later on if you gun taste change.
I also have the Saker 762 that I've used on 300 blk both direct thread and quick mount.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 9:30:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Id say the ultra 7 would be fine.  I ordered the 9 because it offered the max sound suppression for my benchrest.  Havent considered it on my 300 but two inches would be worth it for me while sound is important.  If I had your setup, Id go 9 but thats not uber short like you want.  Go with the 7.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 9:30:39 AM EDT
[#5]
I've got a TB Ultra 7 direct thread and I run it on .308 and 300 BLK.  Love it.  It's light and works well.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:45:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 12:45:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 5:19:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Ultra 7 would be perfect for that.

I have one and use it primarily on a 7.62x40WT AR15 (pretty much a 300BLK +p supersonic only).  It sounds great on that rifle!  I've used it on a 5.56 AR also and that sounds pretty good too but a little sharper than the 7.62x40.  Haven't tried it with 300BLK subs.

The TBAC TOMB mount works great!  It doesn't loosen up constantly like my damn direct thread Gemtech Trek.

EDIT TO ADD:

I'm a machinist and perfectionist when it comes to products/manufacturing and the TBAC flash hider is a work of art along with all their products. I have silencers from six different manufactures and Thunder Beast is easily the best made. 
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 5:28:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Love my TBAC can. I plan to buy another.

Not sure how they perform for semi-auto, though. Mine is a dedicated bolt-action can.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 6:19:11 PM EDT
[#10]
You guys are making me feel like I "need" an ultra 7.....
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 8:18:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks all and I'm going to press ahead with the TBAC Ultra 7 CB order.  Now need to figure out where to order it from...its my 1st can order and I've heard positive things about Capital Armory, Hansohn Bros, Quiet Riot, and Silencer Shop.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 9:20:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Did you check if TBAC was doing a group buy ?
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 9:56:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:02:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The group buy is usually Sept. or Oct. 
View Quote
Are the prices worth waiting for? I keep looking at a Harvester but if the prices are within a few hundred on an ultra 7, that would be tempting
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:26:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Are the prices worth waiting for? I keep looking at a Harvester but if the prices are within a few hundred on an ultra 7, that would be tempting
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The group buy is usually Sept. or Oct. 
Wasn't the last one like 10% off MSRP or something?  Hardly worth waiting for if that's the case.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:14:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:27:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'm a machinist and perfectionist when it comes to products/manufacturing and the TBAC flash hider is a work of art along with all their products. I have silencers from six different manufactures and Thunder Beast is easily the best made. 
View Quote
Agree with that.  Great products.  Great people.

Their CB Flashider is so elegant that I'm temped to frame one as a work of art.  But, I'll shoot them instead.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 1:13:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Have you considered the shorter TBAC? the 5" might meet your needs.
Also I've shot a silco omega on a 10" 300blk sbr and it was a very nice set up.
My .02
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 2:49:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Have you considered the shorter TBAC? the 5" might meet your needs.
Also I've shot a silco omega on a 10" 300blk sbr and it was a very nice set up.
My .02
View Quote
Have to say the Ultra 5 is not anywhere near the suppression level of the 7 or 9.  Even TBAC says this.
You might be good with 300Blk subs, but with the Ultra 5 and any supersonic load, you'll want earplugs.
Like a lot of things in life, a couple extra inches can make a big difference.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top