Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/23/2017 9:50:51 PM EDT
I've got 5 new suppressors currently in jail. I'm putting a rifle together that I really wasn't planning for and will probably end up giving to my son for a birthday present next month. This will be the first rifle I've assembled in my "suppressor era."  It started when I purchased a Black Friday special from PSA and I've been accumulating parts since then. The upper is one of their 16" mid-lengths with a 1:7 stainless fluted barrel. My son is a trustee on my trust and also one of my beneficiaries. I currently have a Gemtech GMT-Halo and a Sandman S in jail along with a Ghost and a couple of rimfire cans. The stamp for the Sandman should be in my hands soon while the Halo is still several months out. My question for you guys is whether or not I need to replace the PSA gas block with an adjustable one from SLR or replace the bolt carrier with a Gemtech suppressed carrier? This rifle, be it in my sons hands or mine, will just be a general plinker and fun gun. No serious or hard use. Will the gun function satisfactorily for a couple of LSHD guys like us, or will I immediately wish that I'd gone with one of those options as soon as we screw a can on? The upper is what it is, but I'm putting together a pretty decent lower. I'm not wild about spending the extra money for a gas block/carrier, but I'd rather do it now, than find out I should have later.  Also, if it makes a difference, my son and I are both lefties.  Also, what buffer do you recommend? I've had good luck with the Spikes ST-T2 buffers in some other rifles, but not sure what to use in this one. I'm using a Damage Industries enhanced spring. Any advice is most appreciated. Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:10:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Try it as is first then make changes if you want to later, you might be perfectly happy with it without any modifications. If you do need to change something, an adjustable gas block is the best cure for an overgassed rifle.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:36:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I looked and didn't see the gas port size on PSA uppers. That would be helpful to know to predict how over gassed the carbine will be.

You ought to call or email to find out the port size and report back here.

As you probably know, most off the shelf rifles and uppers are way over gassed (even without a suppressor) since the manufacturer cannot control ammo selection or rifle maintenance and lube habits of the end user. Over gassed, to a point, equals fewer issues related to cheap, weak ammo, a dirty or dry rifle. Even so, odds are the rifle will function ok with the fixed gas block.

Benefits of an adjustable gas block include reduced and smoother perceived recoil, less wear on the rifle, less gas in the face and a rifle that runs cleaner and cooler. Brass last longer with gas adjusted too, since an over gassed condition is hard on brass, bolt and extractor. (Shooting suppressed puts crud back into the receiver, more with too much gas but still enough that more frequent cleaning is required, even with gas tamped down via an adjustable gas block or bolt carrier.)

I am a lefty and I have one 16" 5.56 with a non adjustable gas block that is over gassed even without a suppressor. Other than the harsher recoil compared to my rifles or uppers that have adjustable gas, it shoots fine and the gas is tollerable. I think I must be less sensitive to gas than some guys, It never really bothers me.

Fwiw, I agree with gkc5150, try it with the fixed block and see how it goes.

Hope this helps.

JPK
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:53:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top