Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2017 7:27:20 AM EDT
Picking up a SpecWar 556k tomorrow.  What do I need to do or know before I do anything with it?
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 7:31:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Have a competent gunsmith install it and check it to make sure there will be no baffle strikes.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 8:03:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Have a competent gunsmith install it and check it to make sure there will be no baffle strikes.
View Quote

If you know how to properly torque down your muzzle device, your barrel is already properly threaded (concentric to the bore), don't use crush washers, you'll be fine.

Just make sure the lock ring is disengaged and the the can screws all the way down before locking it.

Happy shooting brother!
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 8:21:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 8:31:58 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't have a vice so the dealer is installing the devices for me
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 8:40:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
i don't see the need for a smith.

if you can read directions are not known to be an idiot you will be fine.

i've installed 6 CB mounts on my rifles and if i had to get a smith for each of those id be even MORE broke ! $
View Quote
Ok, sounds good, but I had to have one barrel turned to get it concentric by the threads due to a defect on the end of the barrel - my smith buddy had to do some work so I didn't have a baffle strike - but go ahead and ruin a $800 piece of equipment to save $50!
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:20:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:06:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Ok, sounds good, but I had to have one barrel turned to get it concentric by the threads due to a defect on the end of the barrel - my smith buddy had to do some work so I didn't have a baffle strike - but go ahead and ruin a $800 piece of equipment to save $50!
View Quote
Guide rod is money better spent, if you are going to have multipul host... I also look down from the chamber to suppressor to see if it looks "off". Cheap barrels will usually cost people more money, in the end.  But it can happen on more expensive barrels too just not as likely.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:10:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Make a few copies of the form 4.  Make one that is 50% of original size.  Laminate that one and keep it in the range bag.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:11:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
$40 for a vice... $100 for a workshop table at your local hardware store.  Ar15 wrench $20-30.  Barrel extension tool $50.  Torque wrench $50.  

It's going to save you a lot of money in the long run.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 1:28:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
$40 for a vice... $100 for a workshop table at your local hardware store.  Ar15 wrench $20-30.  Barrel extension tool $50.  Torque wrench $50.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Once I buy a house in a year I'm building a reloading bench and a work bench.  For now in my tiny apartment, it is what it is
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 3:34:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 4:33:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Let me know what you think of it.  Have one waiting myself.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:31:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Better to have 2 extra copies with you then not have one if you ever need it.
View Quote
I'm gonna go ahead and disagree with the masses on this one. This is fuddlore. There is no legal requirement to keep paper copies on you. I mean shit, the ATF doesn't even issue you a physical copy for efiles, which should tell you plenty. A single digital copy is more than adequate. If law enforcement suspects something, they're gonna call the BATFE for confirmation anyways, regardless of what you have! Which will prove you're the legal owner.

I see so many gun owners who are under this burden, carrying around a BINDER of paperwork with their nfa stuff. Not required, or necessary. Another thing I see is people spending hours perfecting these shrunken down versions of their forms. Also not necessary.

If someone can provide a single example of someone who was successfully prosecuted for failing to initially present their tax stamp, I'll shut up. But until then I rest my case.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:45:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I'm gonna go ahead and disagree with the masses on this one. This is fuddlore.

There is no legal requirement to keep paper copies on you. I mean shit, the ATF doesn't even issue you a physical copy for efiles, which should tell you plenty. A single digital copy is more than adequate.

If law enforcement suspects something, they're gonna call the BATFE for confirmation anyways, regardless of what you have! Which will prove you're the legal owner.

I see so many gun owners who are under this burden, carrying around a BINDER of paperwork with their nfa stuff. Not required, or necessary. Another thing I see is people spending hours perfecting these shrunken down versions of their forms. Also not necessary.

If someone can provide a single example of someone who was successfully prosecuted for failing to initially present their tax stamp, I'll shut up. But until then I rest my case.
View Quote
Its not the ATF that I'am worried about when I throw my laminated copy in the range bag/gun case.  Its the stupid people that might show up.  Making trouble thinking that they are saving the world from "that evil bad guy".  And I do have copies on my phone, but I don't want to hand over my phone to police for them to scroll threw, while I'm in cuffs trying to prove something tell they clear it with the ATF, and I shouldn't have too.  Peace of mind is worth the little effort it takes to make a copy and laminate it. The burden of proof is on you to show you are legal.  Make it easy, so you don't show up on youtube screaming I do not consent....
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:08:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I do have copies on my phone, but I don't want to hand over my phone to police for them to scroll threw, while I'm in cuffs
View Quote
If you're in cuffs, then nothing you have is gonna prove that you're legit. It's not hard to fake a form 1 or 4. Paperwork won't necessarily save you. The BATFE's records are the only real proof. But I totally understand you wanting to be safe about it. For many years I was that guy too. I carried around all my stuff because that's what I had heard. Till one day I forgot it, and I kinda panicked about it. And as I raced home to get it, I wondered... Why am I doing this?

After some research I determined it was myth. Sure, I carry a small pdf on my phone to show RSO's and as a courtesy to LEOs... but even that isn't required. In the incredibly unlikely event that some power tripping cop arrests me for nonexistent crimes, then I'll use the settlement money to buy more suppressors. Simple as that.

Innocent until proven guilty, guys.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:14:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:18:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

If you're in cuffs, then nothing you have is gonna prove that you're legit. It's not hard to fake a form 1 or 4. Paperwork won't necessarily save you. The BATFE's records are the only thing that will.

But I totally understand you wanting to be safe about it. For many years I was that guy too. I carried around all my stuff because that's what I had heard. Till one day I forgot it, and I kinda panicked about it. And as I raced home to get it, I wondered... Why am I doing this?

After some research I determined it was myth. Sure, I carry a small pdf on my phone to show RSO's and as a courtesy to LEOs... but even that isn't required.

In the incredibly unlikely event that some power tripping cop arrests me for nonexistent crimes, then I'll use the settlement money to buy more suppressors. Simple as that.

Innocent until proven guilty, guys.
View Quote
Thats what I'm saying too its more of a courtesy so that it doesn't escalate to hand cuffs, or extra questioning, tell Sargent arrives.  Thats why I have the digital copy.  I just don't want to start with that if I don't have too.  But your right it's not the federal law... Yes it is innocent tell proven guilty.  But where do you prove your innocence? In court.  Should never get that far... I would rather spend 5 min making copies than 15 min politely arguing my case with someone who has no idea what I am talking about.  That just me, I like to cross every t dot every i when it comes to things that matter to me.  I'm a perfectionist if I didn't I couldn't sleep at night.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:41:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Thats what I'm saying too its more of a courtesy so that it doesn't escalate to hand cuffs, or extra questioning, tell Sargent arrives.  Thats why I have the digital copy.  I just don't want to start with that if I don't have too.  But your right it's not the federal law... Yes it is innocent tell proven guilty.  But where do you prove your innocence? In court.  Should never get that far... I would rather spend 5 min making copies than 15 min politely arguing my case with someone who has no idea what I am talking about.  That just me, I like to cross every t dot every i when it comes to things that matter to me.  I'm a perfectionist if I didn't I couldn't sleep at night.
View Quote
That's paranoia. And no, you won't prove your innocence in court: You'll never have a problem at all, and if you do, your innocence will be proved when the cop does his job by calling the batfe. Even that will likely never happen.

Just saying, you don't see me carrying the deed to my house around when I'm inside.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 1:04:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That's paranoia. And no, you won't prove your innocence in court: You'll never have a problem at all, and if you do, your innocence will be proved when the cop does his job by calling the batfe.
View Quote
Oh my we are talking in hypotheticals, and what if's, and generalities   You state innocent tell proven guilty.  I say courts are where this ultimately takes place.  A call to the batfe might Keep you from getting charged, but what if the officer writes the serial number down wrong, Heaven forbid the Registry not having your nfa item recorded, again this is all hypotheticals you could spend all day going over every situation and be "paranoid", and trusting the GOV to prove your innocence, even thou ultimately that falls on you to prove. But I for myself chose to negate all that by "trying" to cover myself.  As I stated earlier, this is for my piece of mind, not yours.  Yours is to not worry at all about it, more power to ya. Again hypocritically speaking copy's could do nothing or could do everything. (Everything meaning quick glance, good to go, carry on)/(nothing meaning anything else you can think up...)

Everyone is wired differently, don't be so touchy...

I don't carry my reciepts for my firearms purchases.  But I do keep a copy.  Do you keep a record of items/things in your home incase of a fire for an insurance claim?  Hopefully not at home on the home computer never emailed, but hopefully a copy offsite.  As a buiness owner I keep records of basically eveything.  So my bad if it flows over into my personal life...

Oh and you might want to keep a copy of your deed to your house, maybe not handy, but In general. I have actually had to fight in court things that where misrecorded with the register of deeds. Oh and ultimately a jugde in that court agree with my records...
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 7:31:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I'm gonna go ahead and disagree with the masses on this one. This is fuddlore. There is no legal requirement to keep paper copies on you. I mean shit, the ATF doesn't even issue you a physical copy for efiles, which should tell you plenty. A single digital copy is more than adequate. If law enforcement suspects something, they're gonna call the BATFE for confirmation anyways, regardless of what you have! Which will prove you're the legal owner.

View Quote
Becareful making statements like this because while the federal government may not require it some states do.  You need to quantify your statements better and tell new owners to check state and local laws.

A portion of my state law showing SBRs require stamps on your person:

(5) A person who possesses a short-barreled shotgun or short-barreled rifle that is greater than 26 inches in length under this section shall possess a copy of the federal registration of that short-barreled shotgun or short-barreled rifle while transporting or using that short-barreled shotgun or short-barreled rifle and shall present that federal registration to a peace officer upon request by that peace officer.

(6) A person who violates subsection (5) is responsible for a state civil infraction and may be fined not more than $100.00. A short-barreled shotgun or short-barreled rifle carried in violation of subsection (5) is subject to immediate seizure by a peace officer.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:20:45 AM EDT
[#21]
It should say LESS that 26 inches
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 1:01:58 PM EDT
[#22]
You can have a SBR by ATF's definition that is greater an 26 inches overall and still be under the 16 inch barrel requirement.  Again, I only grabbed a portion of the state law as stated above to prove a point to people saying that having copies of your tax forms with you are unnecessary.

Also, I will add that SBR's under 26 inches have to be registered as pistols thus the reason why it is written that way.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top