Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 10:11:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Like I said I am not going repeat myself. I have been following this literally since 1978 when I got my first DIAS. You have not posted a single thing I was not already aware of. So moving on.

You point out a lot of mistakes Dodson made. Yeah!

This guy is as dumb as a box of rocks. Over 30 years, multiple signals were sent out telling him he was headed in the wrong direction - 81-4, 922(o), Cash, etc.

This a guy who, today should be selling RDIAS on Subguns for $25K. Instead he is/was peddling unregistered DIAS in Shotgun News to anti-gov extremists for $105.

This will go down as the biggest blunder of NFA economics. All he had to do was get FFL/SOT after 81-4 and make RDIAS. He would be a millionaire dozens of times over. You can't fix stupid, and it finally caught up to him.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 6:40:04 AM EDT
[#2]
And just how are they going to regulate that. It's a disk of rubber or rubber like substance. Fuck off ATF.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 8:07:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
And just how are they going to regulate that. It's a disk of rubber or rubber like substance. Fuck off ATF.
View Quote
Easy...some moron is going to post a video on YouTube doing it and the BATFE is going to make an example of him/her. I think the way to go is to keep quiet and smart about it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:34:51 AM EDT
[#4]
So my question is if you have a Dead Air Ghost and have the Dead Air wipes is it still "legal" in the eyes of the ATF to use them.  I know Dead Air is suppose to stop production and sales of them but what about those that have purchased (Ghost did come with a few wipes) are we expected to dispose of them.  

Also, if the wipes are used in a self defense situation could the use of them used against you in court.  This question is because the Ghost in short config with a wipe on a 9mm would be a great bedside combo.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:39:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So my question is if you have a Dead Air Ghost and have the Dead Air wipes is it still "legal" in the eyes of the ATF to use them.  I know Dead Air is suppose to stop production and sales of them but what about those that have purchased (Ghost did come with a few wipes) are we expected to dispose of them.  

Also, if the wipes were to be used in a self defense situation could the use of wipes be used against you in court.  This question is because the Ghost in short config with a wipe on a 9mm would be a great bedside combo.
View Quote
It's a silencer part. You can still have them. Dead Air just can't sell you spares.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:28:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
It is no longer for sale on DA website, so that is how.

While someone will put a chunk of rubber yhey bought off Amazon in their silencer, 99% will not.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 1:49:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It's a silencer part. You can still have them. Dead Air just can't sell you spares.
View Quote
Ok, makes sense I just wanted to see if they were viewed as "spare/extra" silencer parts.  The wipes were a good concept to try and bring back for suppressors and I was curious to see if other companies would implement them in their products but quess this stops that idea.

Also, makes me wonder how much crediblity is in the "ATF Whitepapers Leaked" post because if the ATF viewed unrestricted citizen ownership of suppressors so openly then why are they waisting time on banning rubber gaskets.

ATF White Papers post
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 3:24:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Ok, makes sense I just wanted to see if they were viewed as "spare/extra" silencer parts.  The wipes were a good concept to try and bring back for suppressors and I was curious to see if other companies would implement them in their products but quess this stops that idea.

Also, makes me wonder how much crediblity is in the "ATF Whitepapers Leaked" post because if the ATF viewed unrestricted citizen ownership of suppressors so openly then why are they waisting time on banning rubber gaskets.

ATF White Papers post
View Quote
Paper is real. It's just the opinion of one individual, not that of the agency.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 3:36:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Regarding the Dodson case and reliance on opinions...Pages 11-13.

United States v. Dodson, 519 Fed. Appx. 344

Although Dodson’s good-faith-reliance argument—or as it is usually called, “entrapment by estoppel”—is conceptually a viable defense, he fails to demonstrate any of its requirements. The “entrapment by estoppel” defense is available where 1) a government official announced that the charged criminal act was legal; 2) the defendant relied on that statement; 3) the defendant’s reliance was reasonable; and, 4) given the defendant’s reliance, prosecution would be unfair. United States v. Levin, 973 F.2d 463, 468 (6th Cir. 1992). Here, Dodson relies on an investigative report of ATF agent Michael Powell, along with vague allegations that the ATF and federal prosecutors “misinterpreted” the ruling for years.6 The Powell report closed an investigation for lack of prosecutorial potential, based on Powell’s inability to determine the date of manufacture of certain auto sears. The report explained that “AR15 drop-in auto sears manufactured prior to November 1, 1981 are not subject to regulation under the National Firearms Act.” This report is not sufficient to meet any of the necessary entrapment-by-estoppel elements. First, although the report suggests that auto sears may be exempt from the provisions of the National Firearms Act, it does not affirmatively state that possession of auto sears is legal under 18 U.S.C. § 922(o). Second, there is no evidence that Dodson was aware of this report, which was prepared in 2007 for an investigation in Texas. In addition, Dodson had been selling his auto sears for many years before this investigation—it does not appear that the report changed his behavior in any way. Third, even if he had read the report, it was not reasonable for Dodson to rely on the statements of an ATF field agent in an investigative context for conclusive determinations of law. Agent Powell was not a lawyer, nor was he intending to provide legal guidance to the general public. Fourth, it is not even clear that prosecution would have been unfair. Dodson was aware he was selling dangerous, heavily regulated items to unknown individuals, but continued to take advantage of a narrow technicality for over thirty years without obtaining any formal opinion from the ATF. Given the weakness of his entrapment-by-estoppel
defense, the district court did not abuse its discretion in failing to consider such a defense at sentencing. Cf. United States v. Walker, 450 F. App’x 464, 468 (6th Cir. 2011) (rejecting equitable- estoppel challenge to sentencing determination due to lack of affirmative misconduct by the government); see also Lemons, 480 F. App’x at 400 (rejecting possibility of “partial” entrapment-by- estoppel defense).
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 10:30:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Perfect timing, I got my ghost-m and the dead air email on the same day. : /
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 9:58:49 PM EDT
[#11]
So what is the ETA if any on the "new linear pistol compensator" and the nifty caps to ensue?
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 2:51:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Ummm seems to be a non issue:
1) Determine the proper durometer neoprene material
2) Order from McMaster-Carr
3) Punch to size
4) Shut your mouth (And for goodness sakes, don't write and ask for a letter)
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top