Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/18/2017 3:57:15 PM EDT
Not having luck in the EE - I am looking for a 9mm used can.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 3:58:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Hometown forum
Double stamps sucks balls
Are you simply shopping price point or why used?
All four of my 9mm cans were under $400, two were under $250.

I'd be weary of the use/abuse of a used can
F1 could also be an option
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 4:03:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Gunbroker is about the only place I've seen any for sale, other then the occassional random listed on a local forum.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 4:05:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Would call the shops in GA and see if they have any demo cans in 9 for sale.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 4:09:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Would call the shops in GA and see if they have any demo cans in 9 for sale.
View Quote
call Cherokee Gun and Pawn
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 4:10:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Damn I need to update my location; I am in SC now.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 5:06:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Hometown forum
Double stamps sucks balls
Are you simply shopping price point or why used?
All four of my 9mm cans were under $400, two were under $250.

I'd be weary of the use/abuse of a used can
F1 could also be an option
View Quote
My guess is he's under 21 with a trust. He can't buy from an SOT, but he can from a non licensee.  

Put out a WTB in the EE. Hit up Outdoor trader. maybe start a thread in the GA HTF asking the same question- but not so obvious as a want to buy.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 5:11:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Try a WTB in the EE, and maybe a site that's more dedicated to silencers. SilencerTalk? Also local gun shops.

Or like Brad suggested, if you're just trying to save a buck and aren't super picky, just wait for something to be on a fire-sale somewhere.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 6:27:04 PM EDT
[#8]
They pop up in the EE nfa section sometimes, you have to find someone selling in your state out you'll be sol more than likely.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 9:15:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 9:43:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm 30.... wish I was 21 again!
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 9:46:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Then there is no reason whatsoever to look for a used one.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 1:05:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
you can check with Tar Heel State Firearms...

Every once in awhile he has a lead on somebody wanting to sell one. Sometimes he takes them in on trade-in, but that won't matter if you're under 21.
View Quote
Yep if you're in SC and over 21 I would hands down call Tar Heel State Firearms and purchase through them. You won't be disappointed.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 9:32:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Then there is no reason whatsoever to look for a used one.
View Quote
This^^^  What the hell for?
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 9:37:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Y'all correct me if I am wrong, but if the can is currently owned by a trust I could simply draft a trust amendment swapping myself in as grantor and the sole trustee. Ownership of the can therefore does NOT change (remains in the trust), and no 12+ month wait is required. I believe that is perfectly legal based on the law. No different than adding a relative as a trustee, etc. My last form 4 took close to 10 months and I hear wait times are even longer now.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 9:43:04 AM EDT
[#15]
A grantor cannot be changed. However, trustee and beneficiary of a revocable trust can be, and the trust can be made irrevocable so that the grantor is out of the loop.

JPK
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 9:43:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Y'all correct me if I am wrong, but if the can is currently owned by a trust I could simply draft a trust amendment swapping myself in as grantor and the sole trustee. Ownership of the can therefore does NOT change (remains in the trust), and no 12+ month wait is required. I believe that is perfectly legal based on the law. No different than adding a relative as a trustee, etc. My last form 4 took close to 10 months and I hear wait times are even longer now.
View Quote
Good luck finding someone willing to do that, especially since most people have multiple items in their trust.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 12:37:55 PM EDT
[#17]
This all sounds kinda sketchy to me.  I do get the trust transfer as a instrument of ownership.  Buisness ownership is commonly "transferred" with LLC documents.  Now suppressors I don't know about the potential repercushions of dealing with document changes.  Also, if you are thinking about going this route I would make sure the trust was set up correctlly so that would involve a lawyer review and $$ so their goes the potential savings of buying used.  I would buy new and know what I had and where it came from.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 1:43:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Good luck finding someone willing to do that, especially since most people have multiple items in their trust.
View Quote
This.

Even if it were a single item trust, it is naive to think the trust owner is going to pass on the $200 tax stamp savings to the buyer.

Silly idea is silly.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 5:00:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Honestly no one really knows what wait times are.  They'll presumably  take a several months to get through June/July.  But buying kind of slowed after that and DIED after the election.  

It's not outside of reason to believe that lead times have diminished to 6-7 months due to the HPA freeze. Bottom line there hasn't been a lot of forms put in over the past 5 months.  

All this is assuming a static processing rate per day. If examiners/ staff are reduced all bets are off.

Still want to reiterate that this is a bad idea.  You have to find someone that has a trust with only the one item you seek. And is willing to sell. In your state. And agrees to the grey market transaction.  This person probably doesn't exist.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 10:32:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 12:03:22 PM EDT
[#21]
It would be great to only face a 3 month wait.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 12:14:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 5:12:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
That sounds a whole lot like tax evasion.  You're knowingly doing a transfer from one person to another, under the guise of a trust to evade wait and transfer taxes.  I wouldn't want to be anywhere close to a situation like that.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
That sounds a whole lot like tax evasion.  You're knowingly doing a transfer from one person to another, under the guise of a trust to evade wait and transfer taxes.  I wouldn't want to be anywhere close to a situation like that.

Quoted:
As I noted, a grantor cannot be changed. ATF has informed the public post 41f that adding trustees after stamp issuance without submitting photos and fingerprints is permissible. (Side note: Proving the 41f is just a f'in leftist hurdle thrown up to make NFA item acquisition more of a pita.) Removing trustees MUST be permissible because some trustees of some trusts will FU and become felons, and so be disqualified from possessing NFA items. The grantor would have a duty to remove trustees who become disqualified. So would other Responsible Persons.

The trust owns the suppressor, that never changes. There is no transfer. Since the tax is due only if there is a transfer, there is no taxable event and so no tax evasion.

Disclaimer- this is NOT legal advice.

JPK
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 5:20:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The trust owns the suppressor, that never changes. There is no transfer. Since the tax is due only if there is a transfer, there is no taxable event and so no tax evasion.
View Quote
I am not a prosecutor, but I am reasonably certain I could convince 12 people too stupid to not know how to get out of jury duty the only reason you did this was to avoid the $200. But hey, maybe I can't. In that case you would be found not guilty and only owe your legal team tens of thousands of dollars. Go for it, what could go wrong?
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 5:42:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

In that case you would be found not guilty and only owe your legal team tens of thousands of dollars.
View Quote
Hm..... If only there were a way to facilitate a sale with less hassle and cheaper than tens of thousands of dollars...... maybe as little as $200?
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 8:11:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I am not a prosecutor, but I am reasonably certain I could convince 12 people too stupid to not know how to get out of jury duty the only reason you did this was to avoid the $200. But hey, maybe I can't. In that case you would be found not guilty and only owe your legal team tens of thousands of dollars. Go for it, what could go wrong?
View Quote
Really, it can't be tax evasion. The same owner before and after... But these battles NEED to be fought by the suppressor industry, not average SOB, who cann't afford it, as you point out. Laying over and playing dead, wrt existing laws and regs, not raising Caine wrt HPA, it's pitiful.

We all know that gun regs got to where they are/were because the NRA laid down on the job under (thankfully) long past leadership. We all know that NRA members took back the NRA and the NRA has been making progress since then. The suppressor industry needs to get it together and fight.

JPK
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 9:04:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Really, it can't be tax evasion. The same owner before and after... But these battles NEED to be fought by the suppressor industry
View Quote
Here we go again. Another person who thinks the NFA industry was born 10 years ago. Ignores the 80+ year history, the fact the IRS enforced NFA for almost 40 years, and thinks he has found a loophole to allow tax-free transfers that the IRS has never seen before or prosecuted with Case Law to back it up. ROFL.

Well you would not be alone. Bill Fleming said "it can't be tax evasion. We will follow the law. Each transfer will be 100% legal, ATF approved on Form 5." Uh how did that work out? He probably thought he was safe, after all his co-conspirators were a DA and a Chief of Police. What could go wrong?
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 9:42:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Here we go again. Another person who thinks the NFA industry was born 10 years ago. Ignores the 80+ year history, the fact the IRS enforced NFA for almost 40 years, and thinks he has found a loophole to allow tax-free transfers that the IRS has never seen before or prosecuted with Case Law to back it up. ROFL.

Well you would not be alone. Bill Fleming said "it can't be tax evasion. We will follow the law. Each transfer will be 100% legal, ATF approved on Form 5." Uh how did that work out? He probably thought he was safe, after all his co-conspirators were a DA and a Chief of Police. What could go wrong?
View Quote
You know the servers at Google just blew up with people searching for who in the hell Bill Fleming is.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 9:45:55 PM EDT
[#29]
For every example you want to cite, i can site a counter example... oops, no I can't. Because the suppressor industry has NOT fought every fight to the fullest extent possible. Much like the NRA didn't fight for years...

Late to The fight, the NRA has made huge gains "recently." Never too late to fight. The 2A was almost a done deal 20yrs ago, with individual rights a nonstarter. Militia purposely misinterpreted to mean organized defense or police... Commerce Clause gone amok. Different now, eh? The NRA got into the game and fought. And won.

But where the hell is the suppressor industry? Nowhere to be found. No winning lobbiest on Capital Hill for HPA (or 41f for that matter) no lawsuits re 41f based on APA or 2A, looks like rolling over re the wipes..... And wipes are a suit ripe for an APA fight, as is 41f. Especially with the ATF public notice that new trustees post stamp issuance without photos and fingerprints are permissible. Talking about proving that 41f is arbitrary and capricious... holy crap.

But there are examples of what happens in NFA land when you fight to the end. Non funded by the suppressor industry.

JPK
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 9:56:57 PM EDT
[#30]
It sounds like the hard part of this would be finding a willing seller. I'll just wait for HPA most likely. And FWIW to the naysayers, I am a lawyer (and I like to think a good one) ;) I'm not worried about being able to stay within the confines of the law. That's why we get paid a lot.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 10:06:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
That's why we get paid a lot.
View Quote
And yet here you are looking to buy a used can to save $200...

If you get paid so much, wouldn't it be a whole lot easier to stay an extra 30 minutes at the office one night to make up that $200 and then buy new?
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 10:39:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
It sounds like the hard part of this would be finding a willing seller. I'll just wait for HPA most likely. And FWIW to the naysayers, I am a lawyer (and I like to think a good one) ;) I'm not worried about being able to stay within the confines of the law. That's why we get paid a lot.
View Quote
I am an attorney liscensed in DC, but I don't make my living as an attorney. Nevertheless, as you might guess, I agree. Money is money and the less I have to part with it, the better. Like anyone, including billionaire's sons named Donald and Eric, who favor HPA, for example.

But where the hell is the suppressor industry? They ought to be fighting on their customers' and potential customers's, i.e. their businesses, behalf.

Disclaimer: Notwithstanding the fact that I am a liscensed attorney, what I write or suggest is NOT legal advice. If you want or require legal advice, you should seek the advice of a liscensed attorney in your state, familiar with NFA issues.  

JPK
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 12:21:40 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

If you get paid so much, wouldn't it be a whole lot easier to stay an extra 30 minutes at the office one night to make up that $200 and then buy new?
View Quote
Never worked a salary job for a corporation huh?  

What you need to do to avoid the tax and wait is to find a guy ready to check out of this world that has a can you want.  Have him make you beneficiary of said can for some sort of payment.  Then when he blows his head off, you get the can.  Easy - Peasy...
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 12:48:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

What you need to do to avoid the tax and wait is to find a guy ready to check out of this world that has a can you want.  Have him make you beneficiary of said can for some sort of payment.  Then when he blows his head off, you get the can.  Easy - Peasy...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That got dark fast. You really must work for a corporation.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 7:37:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haha yea that got dark! And it's the principle. The money is not an issue but it pisses me off having to wait so damn long.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 9:00:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Haha yea that got dark! And it's the principle. The money is not an issue but it pisses me off having to wait so damn long.
View Quote
Form 4's are like hiking the Appalachian Trail. The sooner you start, the sooner you get there.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 9:09:23 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
If the wait is what you are tying to avoid you could do like some local guys I know with good jobs (denist, lawyer and a doctor) get your class 3 SOT then no wait.  You just have to make some annual transfers to buyers.  Also, these guys get all kind of perks from manufactures like free 'demo' cans from Q, rugged, etc... to help promote their buisness.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 9:13:10 AM EDT
[#38]
That whole idea is a situation I wouldn't want to be even peripherally associated with. At best it's tax evasion, at worst it's a PP trying to obtain an NFA item.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:30:51 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:45:53 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
And that has what to do with a guy who claims to get "paid a lot", but cannot afford $200?
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:47:18 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

The money is not an issue but it pisses me off having to wait so damn long.
View Quote
So you think waiting for HPA to pass is going to make the wait shorter?

FWIW, nobody really knows what wait times are for forms submitted right now. Many of us have specualated it might only be a few months since the backlog is getting cleared.

I just got forms in that were submitted June 10. So 1 month to go!
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 2:41:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

If the wait is what you are tying to avoid you could do like some local guys I know with good jobs (denist, lawyer and a doctor) get your class 3 SOT then no wait.
View Quote
Do you know of good threads on this topic?  It's something I'd like to explore.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 3:53:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If the wait is what you are tying to avoid you could do like some local guys I know with good jobs (denist, lawyer and a doctor) get your class 3 SOT then no wait.
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/tag/home-based-ffl/
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 8:07:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
It would be great to only face a 3 month wait.
View Quote
Not likely, they will assign the stafff to other duties and we will end up with a part time examiner that only works 4 days a week and wait times will be 9 months until she goes on maternity leave for 6 weeks and then it will go to 10 1/2
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 9:04:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
I actually did think of working a deal with my local dealer to leave my silencers to him, then he could give some money to my brother for them. Given my brother is a felon and won't be inheriting the actual silencers.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 9:13:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
He stated he was looking to buy a used can, which by the textbook definition is "obtain in exchange for payment."  One could argue exchange for payment constitutes a transfer of property from one entity to another.  

Meaning, the intent of the "buy a used can" was to obtain ownership, ie - transfer an item TO the buyer.  Changing a trust's wording and who is responsible after paying money for a good could constitute a TRANSFER of the item under the "trust" as a shield.

Here's what I said "
You're knowingly doing a transfer from one person to another, under the guise of a trust to evade wait and transfer taxes.

What I'm saying is a prosecuting attorney could ABSOLUTELY argue this was to evade a transfer tax.  The ATF says shoe strings are MGs and rubber gaskets are silencers.  They say magically a pistol becomes a short barrel rifle if you let it touch your shoulder.  

Does anyone REALLY think with the opinions the ATF states that they wouldn't go after something like this?  You may win with a lawyer, but that is going to cost time and money.   That's too much risk assumed to me over $200.
View Quote
If there is no transfer then there is no transfer tax. It really is that simple.

JPK
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:23:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

And that has what to do with a guy who claims to get "paid a lot", but cannot afford $200?
View Quote
It has to do with this part, "stay an extra 30 minutes at the office one night to make up that $200"

I could spend an extra 3 hours a night, 5 nights a week, 52 weeks a year.  Maybe you get a promo, but spending extra hours is hardly a guarantee of that.  Maybe you get an extra 1% on your yearly raise.  Either, way when on salary, working extra hours is sure as hell no way to make extra cash within any finite time period.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 11:21:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

It has to do with this part, "stay an extra 30 minutes at the office one night to make up that $200"

I could spend an extra 3 hours a night, 5 nights a week, 52 weeks a year.  Maybe you get a promo, but spending extra hours is hardly a guarantee of that.  Maybe you get an extra 1% on your yearly raise.  Either, way when on salary, working extra hours is sure as hell no way to make extra cash within any finite time period.
View Quote
And this has to do with what? Did the OP say he was on salary? No. Maybe he is maybe he is not, but since OP did not say, your post is irrelevant and your inability to read the point I was making ("Find a way to make more money"), is lost. Never mind now OP has confirmed time is more the issue than money.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:11:49 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

If there is no transfer then there is no transfer tax. It really is that simple.

JPK
View Quote
Learned Hand said it best:

"Over and over again courts have said that there is nothing sinister in so arranging one's affairs as to keep taxes as low as possible. Everybody does so, rich or poor; and all do right, for nobody owes any public duty to pay more than the law demands: taxes are forced exactions, not voluntary contributions. To demand more in the name of morals is mere cant."

"Anyone may so arrange his affairs that his taxes shall be as low as possible; he is not bound to choose that pattern which will best pay the Trrasury"

(Citations omitted) (excuse iPhone typos)
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:21:30 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Learned Hand said it best:

"Over and over again courts have said that there is nothing sinister in so arranging one's affairs as to keep taxes as low as possible. Everybody does so, rich or poor; and all do right, for nobody owes any public duty to pay more than the law demands: taxes are forced exactions, not voluntary contributions. To demand more in the name of morals is mere cant."

"Anyone may so arrange his affairs that his taxes shall be as low as possible; he is not bound to choose that pattern which will best pay the Trrasury"

(Citations omitted) (excuse iPhone typos)
View Quote
Lol ok I'm tracking with you now.

OP is so buried under law school debt that another $200 for a transfer kills his deal. No one but a recent law grad would quote Learned Hand.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top