Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2017 11:21:05 PM EDT
Not sure where to put this one, so move it if you need to mods.

Since getting into suppressors, I pretty much want to suppress everything, including the M1 Carbine. Don't worry it's a Plainfield Machine. Threaded the muzzle and screwed an Omega on it. Fired a few rounds and dang it's like being on the receiving end of a small media blaster. That was fun. 

Digging around on the net, found a brass deflector at Sarco. Tried that out, and it makes a world of difference. No blast to the face. Fired 60 or so rounds suppressed today. Had a couple stove pipes and a few times had the last round launch out of the mag, onto the ground. Stretched the springs for the mags a little, seemed better but still had some of the above failures.  Is there any way to reduce the gas on these guns?

Brass deflector.  It's held on with a bobby pin type setup.

Other notes...

The suppressor does obscure the front sight.
The Omega really tames the recoil of the big boomer.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:34:24 PM EDT
[#1]
You need the least gassy suppressor you can get, maybe a Surefire?
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:52:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Hhmm, another battle with the finance ministress.

Those OSS suppressors are supposed to be low on back pressure.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 11:14:24 AM EDT
[#3]
All I really know about the M1 system is they all have pretty finicky gas systems. However, isn't there an adjustable gas plug you can buy? Or is that just for the Garand? If not one shouldn't be too hard to make.

Edit: It's only for the Garand. You could modify your current gas piston or gas piston nut, or buy a new one and experiment with removing material to let more gas through. Otherwise I think you maybe right to go with a OSS.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 11:58:04 AM EDT
[#4]
You can try an extra power recoil spring from Wolff. I use a Wolff XP spring on my Mini-14, Mini-30, and M1A with decent effect. They help slow the bolt speed which reduces blowback, can help ejection and feeding, as well as reducing wear and tear on mating parts. They XP spring helps but is nowhere near as good a solution as the adjustable gas blocks I run on my ARs. The springs are relatively cheap so you aren't out too much if it somehow adversely affects your rifle.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 6:03:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys.  I'm pretty sure I changed the recoil spring after getting the carbine.  May try the heavier spring.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 6:32:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks guys.  I'm pretty sure I changed the recoil spring after getting the carbine.  May try the heavier spring.
View Quote

The Sig SRD has very very little blow back.

I can't feel a thing with my 5.56.

My 556 Sig SRD556TI qd

I'd love to know why I got one thumbs down lol
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 9:58:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 11:28:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Are those still available? Want to keep it a semi-auto.

Still have a Sico Hybrid in jail. Wonder if that would have lower back pressure with the .46 end cap on it?

Would a light weight 45 cal pistol can stand up to this cartridge? The can is rated for 10mm.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 11:34:48 AM EDT
[#9]
That's kind of getting at. You could make something similar by using a dremel to take off a couple thousands of an inch of the gas piston nut or gas piston and doing trial and error.
Pick up one of these and so you can always bring your gun back to it's stock configuration.
http://www.fulton-armory.com/gaspistonnut.aspx
http://www.fulton-armory.com/gaspiston.aspx
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 11:42:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Would a light weight 45 cal pistol can stand up to this cartridge? The can is rated for 10mm.
View Quote

Interesting concept
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 12:36:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Are those still available? Want to keep it a semi-auto.

Still have a Sico Hybrid in jail. Wonder if that would have lower back pressure with the .46 end cap on it?

View Quote

If you're referring to the Hybrid, it's rated for full power rifle cartridges, including .338 Lapua down to an 18" barrel.   .30 Carbine and 10mm are mouse farts compared to that.

And, yes, the Hybrid .46 cap can lower back pressure significantly.  
Just tested one last week on some .223 ARs set up for suppressors and full power ammo.  
None would cycle reliably with the .46 cap.
Switched to the .30 cap, and everything ran perfectly.
Running the Hybrid with the .46 cap on some standard 16 and 20 inch Ar's (with unmodified OEM gas systems), the Hybrid seemed to work perfectly, with the empties being ejected to the right rear in the same manner as the correctly adjusted suppressor gas systems.  Removed the can, and the ejection was stronger and more forward, in the usual unsuppressed pattern.
Surprising to me, the noise level seemed about the same with both caps.  

Will try another time and compare with a .22 front cap.  Maybe someone here has already done that, and will post their results.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 1:06:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the feedback guys. Maybe more than one one way to skin this cat.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top