Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/18/2017 6:08:39 PM EDT
Was shooting 22mag today and this happened. The mono core looks basically intact, one small baffle strike. Just looks like too much pressure in the expansion chamber as the can heated up? This happened after about 160ish rounds fired over about 20 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ulv5Qm0Ptyo

I'm not the original owner. I bought it a few years back from the original owner and its been rock solid until now. What do yall think, Am I screwed? Will silencerco still honor the warrenty?  Another 8 month wait?

Cody

UPDATE:  I spoke with SiCo yesterday.  They completely came through.  Apparently, they cut the tube down and fabricated a longer back cap.  Should have it back soon.  THANK YOU SiCo!
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 6:58:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I doubt that is repairable. You will have to submit another form 4 but I bet Silencerco replaces the can for free.

If they are in a really good mood maybe cover the tax for you.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 7:08:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Bizarre - almost looks like a squib? Having the serialized tube damaged looks bad, but I wonder if it's actually a functional problem? Definitely let us know what SiCo says!
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 8:06:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Wasn't a squib. In fact, we fired another 1/2 mag before we even knew there was a problem. The rounds all of a sudden were impacting low right and we thought the rds got bumped or something so we stopped to investigate. Only then did I notice the anomaly on the can.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 8:23:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Crazy. If it's only a small bulged area, I wonder if they can just cut it off and make you a longer retaining nut.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 8:25:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wasn't a squib. In fact, we fired another 1/2 mag before we even knew there was a problem.
View Quote

I'm not trying to be argumentative, and I wasn't there - but "we fired more rounds so it couldn't have been a squib" doesn't exactly compute...

It sure looks like a bullet lodged in the suppressor and a second bullet behind it cleared it - also causing the tube bulge.  There's just no way I can see for that much pressure building up WITHOUT an obstruction.  If the squib had enough power to cycle the action (presumably this is an auto of some flavor) then the sound would have been your only indication.

I suppose a bad baffle strike might have left lead partially obstructing the bore?

What host was this run on?
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 9:33:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I'm not trying to be argumentative, and I wasn't there - but "we fired more rounds so it couldn't have been a squib" doesn't exactly compute...

It sure looks like a bullet lodged in the suppressor and a second bullet behind it cleared it - also causing the tube bulge.  There's just no way I can see for that much pressure building up WITHOUT an obstruction.  If the squib had enough power to cycle the action (presumably this is an auto of some flavor) then the sound would have been your only indication.

I suppose a bad baffle strike might have left lead partially obstructing the bore?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wasn't a squib. In fact, we fired another 1/2 mag before we even knew there was a problem.

Solomon, good though on lead build up causing back pressure issues. I was shooting copper jacketed ammo and there didnt seam to be an unusual amount of lead or carbon fouling internally. I still can't wrap my brain around how a squib would get caught in the suppressor in the first place.  Then get cleared by a subsequent round? Seems like that would have been highly likely to cause a catastrophic blow out of the end cap or other major internal trauma as the squib and subsequent projectile would have left the can asymstrically. Chances of both rounds leaving the hole in the end cap  perfectly symmetrically so as to leave no damage at all in the last baffle/end cap? Idk. Hopefully guys at silencerco have seen this before.

Host was a cmr-30, which I love by the way.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 9:36:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 10:45:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Either you'll have another 4 form to file or SilencerCo can shorten it; but that would be a good bit of work.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/18/2017 11:12:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I still can't wrap my brain around how a squib would get caught in the suppressor in the first place.  Then get cleared by a subsequent round? Seems like that would have been highly likely to cause a catastrophic blow out of the end cap or other major internal trauma as the squib and subsequent projectile would have left the can asymstrically. Chances of both rounds leaving the hole in the end cap  perfectly symmetrically so as to leave no damage at all in the last baffle/end cap?
View Quote

Yeah, I'm stumped too - the half-tubes are ok? The whole failure is just bizarre to me.  I'm not an expert though, just thinking through the physics.  There's no threading on that outer tube, so it sure seems like a repair section could be added - wouldn't be pretty, but if it were me I might take ugly and back in my hands vs waiting out another F4....
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 12:00:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yeah, I'm stumped too - the half-tubes are ok? The whole failure is just bizarre to me.  I'm not an expert though, just thinking through the physics.  There's no threading on that outer tube, so it sure seems like a repair section could be added - wouldn't be pretty, but if it were me I might take ugly and back in my hands vs waiting out another F4....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I still can't wrap my brain around how a squib would get caught in the suppressor in the first place.  Then get cleared by a subsequent round? Seems like that would have been highly likely to cause a catastrophic blow out of the end cap or other major internal trauma as the squib and subsequent projectile would have left the can asymstrically. Chances of both rounds leaving the hole in the end cap  perfectly symmetrically so as to leave no damage at all in the last baffle/end cap?

Yea, half shells are fully intact. I'm with you, waiting on a form 4 would SUCK. maybe they can shorten this one while I wait for a new registered tube/form 4.

I'll keep ya'll posted.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 12:05:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
maybe they can shorten this one while I wait for a new registered tube/form 4.
View Quote

Given it's a monocore, I don't think the whole thing can be shortened - but since it's an outer unthreaded tube, why couldn't the bulged part be cut off and another piece of tubing be welded/soldered on, presumably via a collar.  Think of joining two pieces of copper tubing for plumbing - it would be ugly but would it work?

Disclaimer: I'm an electrical engineer, NOT a mechanical engineer
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 12:08:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's what I was thinking. Especially since the rear of the is square unlike the squiggly front, hopefully SiCo can trim an inch off the tube and weld a new section on. I'm not 100% sure but I believe this is OK by the ATF.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 12:15:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Looks like it shot loose, and the bullet destabilized from grazing an earlier baffle.

Overpressure blew the tube up at the gap between the two sleeves.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 12:38:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
This happened after about 160ish rounds fired over about 20 minutes
View Quote

Might just be me but this seems excessive. While the Sparrow is rated for .22 Mag that just seems like a lot of rounds.

Good luck, but that looks like it's gonna need a 100% replacement.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 12:44:25 AM EDT
[#15]
So I looked at your video a little closer. It looks like that was one of the original Sparrows that was upgraded to the current Sparrow spec (your serial number has an SP prefix). If so, I believe the original Sparrow tubes were aluminum and not carbon or stainless steel like the current generation Sparrows.

I don't know if having an Al tube adds any caliber (the 22mag that you were shooting) or firing rate restrictions on an upgraded Gen 1 Sparrow. Hopefully others can chime in.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 1:21:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Your right, the failure point was right at the gap between the two sleeves.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 1:27:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm thinking that when the bullet destabilized from grazing a baffle it actually plugged that last baffle that has a chunk taken out of it. The overpressure blew it out the end of the tube, breaking the piece of the baffle off, and blew your tube up at the weakest space on the back pressure side of the blockage, the gap in the sleeve.

It probably all happened due to the can shooting loose.

I have a sparrow, and i have to tighten it up every so often when I am shooting a host that does not have the sparrow-spec threads with the o-ring contact.

I suppose it would happen quicker with 22 mag.

The tube could be repaired by silencerco, but it may cost you. It would involve truing everything up, and some careful welding.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 1:28:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Might just be me but this seems excessive. While the Sparrow is rated for .22 Mag that just seems like a lot of rounds.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This happened after about 160ish rounds fired over about 20 minutes

Honestly, I didn't know there was such a thing as excessive (within reason). Ive done this a couple times with similair volumes of fire without issue. This tube is supposed to be rated for full auto fire. I could see if I just mag dumped 160 round's at 1 round a Second....but seems like it should handle 1 round every 7 seconds with no issue. Idk
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 1:31:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
So I looked at your video a little closer. It looks like that was one of the original Sparrows that was upgraded to the current Sparrow spec (your serial number has an SP prefix). If so, I believe the original Sparrow tubes were aluminum and not carbon or stainless steel like the current generation Sparrows.

I don't know if having an Al tube adds any caliber (the 22mag that you were shooting) or firing rate restrictions on an upgraded Gen 1 Sparrow. Hopefully others can chime in.
View Quote

You are correct, this was an older tube that got the upgrade. The sleeves are ss, but the outer tube is aluminium I believe.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 1:32:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I'm thinking that when the bullet destabilized from grazing a baffle it actually plugged that last baffle that has a chunk taken out of it. The overpressure blew it out the end of the tube, breaking the piece of the baffle off, and blew your tube up at the weakest space on the back pressure side of the blockage, the gap in the sleeve.

I have a sparrow, and i have to tighten it up every so often when I am shooting a host that does not have the sparrow-spec threads with the o-ring contact.

The tube could be repaired by silencerco, but it may cost you. It would involve truing everything up, and some careful welding.
View Quote

I think you might be right on with this explanation.  Gosh dang it! I love my sparrow, Hopefully there is some work around for this.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 1:36:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I think you might be right on with this explanation.  Gosh dang it! I love my sparrow, Hopefully there is some work around for this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is. They would have to weld an oversize ring onto the outside of the tube over the whole base where the failure occured.

It may look a little ugly, but if the tube cant be replaced, then it is the only option. It would look like a mini AK suppressor, so thats kind of cool.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:01:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Was shooting 22mag today and this happened. The mono core looks basically intact, one small baffle strike. Just looks like too much pressure in the expansion chamber as the can heated up? This happened after about 160ish rounds fired over about 20 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ulv5Qm0Ptyo

I'm not the original owner. I bought it a few years back from the original owner and its been rock solid until now. What do yall think, Am I screwed? Will silencerco still honor the warrenty?  Another 8 month wait?

Cody
View Quote

quote b/c yt would not play the damn video

Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:25:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Turn your god damn phone the right way when you film a video.

Sorry about your can.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:31:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Sorry about your can.
View Quote

Haha, sorry about that. I'm a rookie.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 6:35:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Sorry about your can.
View Quote

VVD, vertical video disorder.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:42:14 AM EDT
[#26]
How tight do you make the retaining nut when reassembling? I am bad about over tightening nuts/bolts, plus use anti seize on rimfire cans so I have to be mindful of the retaining nut on the Sparrow. This might have added to the issue. On the bright side, a strip of duc tape over the blow out and your back in business while the form 4 for the new tube clears.   Add a bandaid for effect. j/k, that might constitute a "repair"
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:57:23 PM EDT
[#27]
UPDATE:  I talked with SiCo this morning.  Good news, they said I am covered even though I am not the original owner.  Studs.  They would have to shorten the tube 1/2 in-ish and make a new monocore.  Might lose a little performance but I'll count myself lucky.  Ill keep ya'll posted.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:20:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:06:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

There is. They would have to weld an oversize ring onto the outside of the tube over the whole base where the failure occured.

It may look a little ugly, but if the tube cant be replaced, then it is the only option. It would look like a mini AK suppressor, so thats kind of cool.
View Quote

This was my first thought too. Why couldn't they machine a short tube with an ID the same as the sparrows OD and weld it?  Is it a legal thing?

Wouldn't be beautiful but I definitely wouldn't care

Eta: on second thought maybe they're going the shortened route since they monocore is damaged anyway
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:10:20 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
UPDATE:  I talked with SiCo this morning.  Good news, they said I am covered even though I am not the original owner.  Studs.  They would have to shorten the tube 1/2 in-ish and make a new monocore.  Might lose a little performance but I'll count myself lucky.  Ill keep ya'll posted.
View Quote

Did you find out whether or not the first gen aluminum tube on the upgraded Sparrow supports 22mag?
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:35:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Silencer loosened possibly 
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 6:34:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Did you find out whether or not the first gen aluminum tube on the upgraded Sparrow supports 22mag?
View Quote

Yes, I was told it does.

Cody
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 8:23:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Just saw your update OP - note edits don't bring the thread back up.

Glad to hear SiCo worked it out - please post pics when you get it!
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 11:11:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Make sure to post some pictures when you get it!
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 10:13:02 AM EDT
[#35]
Would like to see pics of the new and improved Sparrow.

Glad they took care of you. Makes me happy I bought 1 of their cans.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 10:18:47 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Crazy. If it's only a small bulged area, I wonder if they can just cut it off and make you a longer retaining nut.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Looks like SilencerCo took your advice! Especially after the OP said they would have to make a shortened monocore:

Quoted:
They would have to shorten the tube 1/2 in-ish and make a new monocore.  Might lose a little performance but I'll count myself lucky.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 10:19:55 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Glad they took care of you. Makes me happy I bought 1 4 of their cans.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 11:03:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Glad they took care of you. Makes me happy I bought 1 6 of their cans.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 1:03:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Glad they took care of you. Makes me happy I bought 1 17 of their cans.
View Quote

I'll play! Someone here has to have a crazy number from them.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 8:54:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
First (only?) Sparrow K can!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
First (only?) Sparrow K can!  

We should take family pics...your Sparrow K and my Spectre IIk
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 12:49:25 AM EDT
[#41]
*Bump* for any new photos of the Sparrow @WinstonLT
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top