Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/15/2017 7:53:03 PM EDT
I've got a very specific build in mind, a ton of AR uppers, a handful of cans. Let's skip that conversation

I want to avoid spending $60+ a pop to get devices pinned and welded

Can someone check some links for me to see if this will work?
This

Plus
This

And this?
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 8:10:52 PM EDT
[#1]
3rd link is dead.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 8:16:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
3rd link is dead.
View Quote

Damnit
eBay
5 ft jewelry silver solder wire, $7.78 free shipping
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 8:20:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 8:31:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Needs to be high temp solder. Like 1200 degree melt point.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 8:34:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
Got a link or a vendor name?
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 8:36:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Per https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/atf-national-firearms-act-handbook-chapter-2/download
"Permanent methods of attachment include full-fusion gas or electric steel-seam welding, high-temperature (1100°F) silver soldering, or blind pinning with the pin head welded over. Barrels are measured by inserting a dowel rod into the barrel until the rod stops against the bolt or breech-face. The rod is then marked at the furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device, withdrawn from the barrel, and measured. "

I am not aware of any ATF agents visiting ranges with dowel rods, calibrated 1,100F furnaces, and torque wrenches nor do I believe such destructive testing would be legal... but why take chances?
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 8:40:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Silver Solder from Brownells: http://www.avantlink.com/click.php?tt=cl&pw=55963&ctc=iz7ntezm0t00zk8a00y51&mi=10077&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.brownells.com%2Fgunsmith-tools-supplies%2Fgeneral-gunsmith-tools%2Fsolders-flux%2Fsilvaloy-355-silver-solder-prod584.aspx

I've never done it - more a fan of pin and weld. Not sure how clean you have to get the surfaces for the solder to flow.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 8:42:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Silver Solder from Brownells: http://www.avantlink.com/click.php?tt=cl&pw=55963&ctc=iz7ntezm0t00zk8a00y51&mi=10077&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.brownells.com%2Fgunsmith-tools-supplies%2Fgeneral-gunsmith-tools%2Fsolders-flux%2Fsilvaloy-355-silver-solder-prod584.aspx

I've never done it - more a fan of pin and weld. Not sure how clean you have to get the surfaces for the solder to flow.
View Quote

Thank you
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 8:45:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 11:06:30 AM EDT
[#10]
If you don't know the finer points of silver soldering/brazing, you will very likely not be happy with the result.
The cleaning and flux is just as important as the solder. That, and the right touch needed to apply enough, but not too much solder, is something you need to learn from practice.
If you have the proper equipment and want to try, I'd suggest practicing on scrap barrels and flash hiders before going to the expensive parts.
Don't forget to position the parts to minimize the flux and solder flowing where you don't want them.   And remember to protect a carbon steel bore from scale.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 1:30:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Its not all that hard. Reminds me of soldering pipes for plumbing (good practice for learning how solder/flux works). As mentioned above, protect all the surfaces that you don't want heated and clean/prep the area before hand. I've done it a few times on my 14.5. Saves from nearly destroying your muzzle device if you want to use something else. Good luck.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 1:46:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
<strong>Quoted:</strong>

Your local welding store will carry it.  A HVAC supplier like Johnstone will also sell it. You need proper flux too.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 6:13:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Got mine from an online jeweler, just make sure it has 1100 degree melt point.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:25:13 AM EDT
[#14]
OP IM me if you want me to send you what I have left of the solder that I used.  It's this  I won't use anymore of it and don't want it to go to waste.

This thread will answer any other questions you have Read this thread  

I have this too  

The MAP gas torch you linked to will work.  It won't turn out pretty (mine didn't anyways), but I have really torqued down on the flash hider trying to get it off and can't.  

If you pay the shipping, you can have the heat stop paste and the silver solder.  Let me know
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:03:21 PM EDT
[#15]
If you're going to DIY to save some money, I'd actually suggest still pinning and welding them - just doing it yourself.

You heat all of the parts involved far less and it's fairly easy to do.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:49:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If you're going to DIY to save some money, I'd actually suggest still pinning and welding them - just doing it yourself.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

easy if I had a welder...

Quoted:
OP IM me if you want me to send you what I have left of the solder that I used.  It's this  I won't use anymore of it and don't want it to go to waste.

This thread will answer any other questions you have Read this thread  

I have this too  

The MAP gas torch you linked to will work.  It won't turn out pretty (mine didn't anyways), but I have really torqued down on the flash hider trying to get it off and can't.  

If you pay the shipping, you can have the heat stop paste and the silver solder.  Let me know

Thanks
I'll send you an IM
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top