Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/9/2017 9:02:30 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 3:58:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Do these work with both the Octane 9 and 45, or are they different?
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 4:42:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Mecha_Loopy:
Do these work with both the Octane 9 and 45, or are they different?
View Quote

They are the same. The end cap pattern matches the tooth pattern on the piston. This allows you to remove the piston, put the teeth against the end cap, insert a screwdriver through the piston vents and twist the end cap off.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 4:51:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Really nice...  What printer do you have?  I have been looking into these, but don't know what I want.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 4:54:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 5:02:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By BigWaylon:
Is getting one a fairly simple process? Anything more than uploading one of the files above to shapeways? (Or any other recommended source?). I've never done it, so I wasn't sure if I had to check measurements or anything else.
View Quote

Hopefully that's all that's involved, because that's what I did today.

I'll let you know when they show up!
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 9:04:30 PM EDT
[#6]
This is awesome. I've wanted exactly this for swapping my octane between my scorpion and M&P. Thanks for sharing the files!

I've never had anything printed, so can anyone confirm if there's anything needed other than uploading the file?
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 9:33:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Is getting one a fairly simple process? Anything more than uploading one of the files above to shapeways? (Or any other recommended source?). I've never done it, so I wasn't sure if I had to check measurements or anything else.
View Quote

Pretty simple. Download the stereolithography file (STL) onto your computer. Create a Shapeways account and then upload the model. Select "inch" as the unit for the model and it should upload and render and then give you options for what material you want to order it out of:

Link Posted: 2/10/2017 12:22:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 1:04:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Effenpig] [#9]
Do you have the file for the piston shaped tool you drew up here?

This one:
Attachment Attached File

I forgot about it then found the thread again, the one you made looks like what I wanted.

I was wondering if maybe you could make it with the splines on both ends and maybe 3/4" worth of spline. That way as it wore down I could just stand it down and both ends could be used
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 7:40:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Effenpig:

I was wondering if maybe you could make it with the splines on both ends and maybe 3/4" worth of spline. That way as it wore down I could just stand it down and both ends could be used
View Quote

Like this? lmk
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 7:41:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: postban] [#11]

Material recommendations?
View Quote

The regular nylon I am using is plenty strong.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 7:44:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Mecha_Loopy:

Hopefully that's all that's involved, because that's what I did today.

I'll let you know when they show up!
View Quote

If you don't mind what was total price shipped?
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 10:58:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 11:07:19 AM EDT
[#14]
I've tried clicking the links above, and also right-clicking and choosing "save target", but neither results in anything.

I am logged in on VPN for work, so maybe that's an issue?
View Quote

IM me your email and I will send whichever you want to you.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 11:38:45 AM EDT
[#15]
What printers are good to look at?
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 12:13:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gadsden-style] [#16]
Originally Posted By JKrammes:
What printers are good to look at?
View Quote

A few questions first. What are you looking to spend, what level of quality are looking for, and how much ease of use do you want? Are you looking for a complete noob friendly, out of the box experience? Or would you be OK with "some assembly required".

Edit: a few more. How large of a part do you think you ever a print? Something like these adapters, or something "big" for example an AR lower
Son of postban btw, hi.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 12:26:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By gadsden-style:

A few questions first. What are you looking to spend, what level of quality are looking for, and how much ease of use do you want? Are you looking for a complete noob friendly, out of the box experience? Or would you be OK with "some assembly required".

Edit: a few more. How large of a part do you think you ever a print? Something like these adapters, or something "big" for example an AR lower
Son of postban btw, hi.
View Quote

Guys, this is my IT expert^. Any questions regarding computers/printers/networks/gaming...
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 12:29:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BigWaylon] [#18]
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 1:47:15 PM EDT
[#19]

Son of postban btw, hi.
View Quote

Ill spend what is needed...
I'm good with some assembly required.  I understand programming, and can build almost anything, I have a small machine shop in my basement.
AR lower size sounds good.

I am just looking right now.  I don't know what I don't know.  I want to do prototyping or small tools to make my work easier.  I am a custom knife maker and have some ideas for gun parts...
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 1:59:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Then I would recommend something of the i3 design category

Kits can be had for ultra cheap on eBay but your playing the Chinese quality lottery, wanhao seems to stand out

https://youtu.be/qoEApsA7pAk

The real deal would be a prusa i3

https://youtu.be/Kfe_84FGJ8c

After about this price point you get fewer but more luxurious bells and whistles, mind these are both very customizable if you think about dual extrusion and what not
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 2:01:39 PM EDT
[#21]

Kits can be had for ultra cheap on eBay but your playing the Chinese quality lottery, wanhao seems to stand out

After about this price point you get fewer but more luxurious bells and whistles, mind these are both very customizable if you think about dual extrusion and what not
View Quote

embed
Wanhao Duplicator i3 Plus - Review

Review: The Original Josef Prusa i3 MK2 ?? It doesn't get any better than this!
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 2:26:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Effenpig] [#22]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By postban:

Like this? lmk
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f49/postban/Suppressors/fnp_zpsgb1afwkc.jpg

That is exactly 100% what I meant

You sir, are a genius

Do you think it makes sense?  If figured between trimming it down as it wears and being double ended it would dramatically increase the service life. Has the added benefit of impressed grip too, although I'm sure you don't really want to crank on it.

Eta: wait a minute, I have to take back the 100%, gonna have to knock it back to 95%

What happened to MAGA, FBHO, etc.?

Link Posted: 2/10/2017 2:31:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 2:37:22 PM EDT
[#24]
View All Quotes

embed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoEApsA7pAk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kfe_84FGJ8c

So the Prusia i3 mk2 is only $699? Or am I missing something?

I honestly thought something like that would be around 5x that much
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 3:07:34 PM EDT
[#25]

So the Prusia i3 mk2 is only $699? Or am I missing something?

I honestly thought something like that would be around 5x that much
View Quote

Nope, it's really that much, I'd get one if I had money to throw at it. FYI that is tthe kit, aka, all the assembly required, but there are plentiful tutorials on the YouTubes
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 3:09:02 PM EDT
[#26]

What happened to MAGA, FBHO, etc.?
View Quote

Printed a few of those, text quality is complete shit. Like unreadable. I know the good words are there but not up to my appearance standards.
That is also the reason the combo tools are unmarked.
Another negative is the hex portion being similar [small] diameter to an actual piston is much harder to use than the improved combo tool designs.
Sure, I suppose if you are using at an imagined frequency of weekly or even daily . You an effenarmorer? Guy in the cage fixin Hondos trigger?
The Hollow2 [last design with lanyard loop] features an extra long spline portion that could be sanded down to resharpen/restore that end.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 3:10:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gadsden-style] [#27]

If the answer had been complete noob, wants out-of-the-box-ready, small parts only...what would the recommendation be?
View Quote

https://youtu.be/U3q9f_0Lcu8

Or what I kickstarted, the trinus

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1403065126/trinus-the-affordable-all-metal-3d-printer/description

Absolute total noob for small parts would be an ultimaker 2 go
https://ultimaker.com/en/products/ultimaker-2-go
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 5:12:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Effenpig] [#28]

Printed a few of those, text quality is complete shit. Like unreadable. I know the good words are there but not up to my appearance standards.
That is also the reason the combo tools are unmarked.
Another negative is the hex portion being similar [small] diameter to an actual piston is much harder to use than the improved combo tool designs.
Sure, I suppose if you are using at an imagined frequency of weekly or even daily . You an effenarmorer? Guy in the cage fixin Hondos trigger?
The Hollow2 [last design with lanyard loop] features an extra long spline portion that could be sanded down to resharpen/restore that end.
View Quote

I have a hybrid suppressor that I switch end caps plus it has kind of an inner cap that also takes the same tool

Also I am a complete nut about cleaning my suppressors so I'd end up using it a lot

Eta: I just saw the hollow2 version

Kinda want both?

Eta2: ok, looking at the hollow2 version I can see how mine looks a bit excessive

Still kinda want both though

Eta3: so I actually just watched the video at the beginning of the thread.  I didn't realize the hollow part was a tool too, I thought it was just a handle. My suppressor doesn't have that type of cap at the other end

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 10:07:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AkLifer109] [#29]
Appreciate your work and for posting these Postban!

I took files and using Autodesk's 123d program, cut each into layers the thickness of some acrylic sheet i have and exported.
Imported the dxf file into my laser software and cut one out of sheet using my laser and glued up.  

[Link]https://goo.gl/photos/256jqL6c8zT4zn9x8[/link]
Works great, my settings were a bit off, so ill make the others to see which one works best.
If anyon wants the dxf files, let me know and I'll send or post.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 7:00:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Effenpig] [#30]
View All Quotes

Like this? lmk
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f49/postban/Suppressors/fnp_zpsgb1afwkc.jpg

Do you have a file for this one?
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 7:32:55 AM EDT
[#31]

View Quote

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw_valNiwkk3WDFpYzMySUVzQ1k
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 1:21:56 PM EDT
[#32]

I have one of each in my cart. The vary a little in price by color (white seems to be the cheapest), but the parts are all in the $8-$11 range.

I chose the strong and flexible plastic, so I hope that was correct.

Mine ended up being:
Hollow - red - $9.19
Flat - blue - $8.12
Solid - black - $9.78
Hollow w/ lanyard - orange - $9.98

Shipping was going to be $4.99, but your first order ships free.

ETA: and then when I went to checkout, it showed two options:
1. Standard (+ $0.00) ships by 2/21
2. Extended (save $9.28) ships by 3/8

Since I'm not in any rush, I'll use the $9.28 for lunch today. :D

Total for all four shipped (w/ the free shipping) is $32.78.
View Quote

I'm sorry but I must have missed something. I didn't read every word of every post. Where are you ordering these from?
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 8:31:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 3:08:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Shapeways
View Quote
Thanks for the reply but, I couldn't find anything there pertaining to silencer tools.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 3:16:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BigWaylon] [#35]
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 3:45:29 PM EDT
[#36]

You really need to go back and read the thread, especially since you admitted to not doing so the first time.

After all, it's still on the first page at this point...at least it is for me.
View Quote
Ok, so I guess all you quoted in one of your posts is the purchase price of drawings? I'm sorry, but I thought someone was selling these. 
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 4:41:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 12:37:37 AM EDT
[#38]
You upload them to Shapeways, choose your options, and pay for them.
Shapeways prints them and ships them to you.
View Quote

I can validate that Shapeways works just fine.  I printed one in Yellow, strong and flexible, smooth.  It came out fine.  Fit snug on the rear cap, a bit loose on the front cap.  I think postban's newest one fixes the few complaints I could have had about the version I printed, but I ain't complaining.

For the record, ensure you upload in 'inch'.  For whatever reason, postban designs in Metric, but we have to upload in Inch.  I would ask for my money back, but it was free, so... uh... yeah, there's that.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 3:23:00 AM EDT
[#39]
View All Quotes

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw_valNiwkk3WDFpYzMySUVzQ1k

Thanks!

Now to decide on material

I'm thinking platinum

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 8:50:29 AM EDT
[#40]

View Quote

Look at monoprice if you want any of the wanhao i3 printers. The monoprice are just rebranded wanhao i3s. But at a better price. You can get the printer for $300 shipped. There are a bunch of printable upgrades on thingiverse that you can download free if you want to change or improve something(i have quite a few good/recommend ones on my flash drive if anyone wants them) Then Swiss gear sell an upgraded hotend for a great price.

If you want a different wanhao series like the i5, then just stick with wanhao.

I mess around with 3D printers and laser cutters at my job everyday. But we have a couple of makerbots(exspensive! i wouldnt reccommend them for their limitations to cost ratio) for when we bring then to local public schools or events to demo mechatronics. Then a few Uprints that do print in ABS.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 10:46:40 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 11:16:07 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 2:26:26 PM EDT
[#43]
So, worked just fine on my standard piston retainer, but was not quite right for my fixed-barrel adapter.  This has longer flutes.  I pushed the tool on and it got stuck pretty hard.  I used a pry tool to get it off, but it moved just a hair at a time.  Any chance you can modify the one with the lanyard loop for bit of relief on the inside of the tool and make it a bit taller so it will slip all the way on the fixed-barrel adapter?  I like your newest one with the lanyard loop.  This was printed from the earlier models, though.  I can get you whatever dimensions you need in that French measurement system, if you desire.  I can also do it in Cubits.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 2:45:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BigWaylon] [#44]
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 2:57:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Is it safe to assume that if I have the same issue with any of mine, I can take a Dremel to the inside edges/corners to provide a little clearance?
View Quote

I can try that too.  I was planning on printing the lanyard loop version, though.  Easier to use the digital Dremel.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 3:00:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 3:29:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By BadgerArms:
...  I can get you whatever dimensions you need in that French measurement system, if you desire.  I can also do it in Cubits.

View Quote

huh huh, u said cubit
Attachment Attached File

Been designing Automotive for 25yrs, metric sunk in hard.
Tooling guys are the only ones that ever say "inch"
Fucking "thou this" and "thou that"
Don't be a tooling guy.

I'll whip something up to fit both if I can.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 4:12:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Been designing Automotive for 25yrs, metric sunk in hard.
Tooling guys are the only ones that ever say "inch"
View Quote

My background is aviation.  We used wire gauge for drill bits.  Common sizes are #40, #30, #21, and #10.  Our metals were all gauged by thousandths of an inch.  We have .032, .040, .050, .063, etc.  We were taught measurements in fractions of an inch.  Our tolerances were in fractions of an inch such as 1/64" or 1/32".  We usually lost about 5% of trainees in the basic shop math course.  If you didn't understand basic shop math, you could still get by, though.  I think an illiterate could understand the systems.  Why we had three different ways of measuring within the inch system is beyond me.  I would generally lay everything out by hand and then check it with a 6" rule.  Nine times out of ten, I would be within limits just by eyeball, no measuring system needed.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 4:10:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Okay, took a dremmel to the inside and was able to get it to be a snug fit rather than an interference fit on the fixed-barrel cap.  It still works on the piston retainer, but doesn't stick on that one now.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 11:11:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Engineer] [#50]
Received my tools from Shapeways today. I tried it on both the piston endcap as well as a 5/8x24 fixed mount for my 300 BLK setup. Both worked without any sticking.

Very nice tool and it will definitely come in handy.

Thanks again, postban!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top