Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/1/2017 2:41:31 PM EDT
I've got a Form 1 suppressor with a Gemtech LID.  I built this for my Glock and it works quite well.  I'd like to build a 9mm AR SBR and use the same can, but I've been told that I cannot use the LID without stripping the threads off the AR barrel.  So I will need to remove the spring, or change the piston to a fixed design, or something.

Looking for input on this.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 3:27:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Most LIDs have a fixed "spacer" piston available for using the can with a fixed-mount barrel.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 3:41:59 PM EDT
[#2]
My Gemtech GM9 had 1/2-28 threads on the LID.  My AR has 1/2-36.  I bought the fixed adapter.  It didn't go on far enough.  Luckily I had a new HVT that came with a shim kit.  The thickest shim is enough to cover the gap between the adapter and the thread shoulder.  

So, buy the 1/2-36 adapter if that is the one you need and a Gemtech 1/2" shim kit.  

I still haven't had time to shoot it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 4:01:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I was swapping my Tirant back and forth last weekend between a CZ Scorpion and a 9mm Glock

Well after a few times swapping I forgot to pull the spacer and put the spring back in and the Glock kept failing. I was getting pissed until I took a deep breath and thought about what I was doing.

Soooo glad I've got other cans coming to avoid this in the future

But yes, throw a spacer in your LID and rock on
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 4:23:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was swapping my Tirant back and forth last weekend between a CZ Scorpion and a 9mm Glock

Well after a few times swapping I forgot to pull the spacer and put the spring back in and the Glock kept failing. I was getting pissed until I took a deep breath and thought about what I was doing.

Soooo glad I've got other cans coming to avoid this in the future

But yes, throw a spacer in your LID and rock on
View Quote

First world problems.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 5:02:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

First world problems.
View Quote
well ya

I honestly need a 1/2x36 fixed mount made for my Thompson machine ISIS. My AR9 Faxon barrel is x36 and I'm not convinced on dropping the coin on a 3 lug
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 7:35:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I've got a Form 1 suppressor with a Gemtech LID.  I built this for my Glock and it works quite well.  I'd like to build a 9mm AR SBR and use the same can, but I've been told that I cannot use the LID without stripping the threads off the AR barrel.  So I will need to remove the spring, or change the piston to a fixed design, or something.

Looking for input on this.  Thanks!
View Quote

You need either a Piston Blocking Tube- Link
Or since the threads are the same on the LID as on the Fixed thread mounts you could go that route. They are here: Link

You were told wrong. It won't strip the threads off the barrel. It may damage your can if you don't replace the spring though.

Good Luck.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 3:10:48 PM EDT
[#7]
There is some really good information in this thread.  Thank you guys for helping me out.  My AR barrel and Glock barrel use the same thread pitch so I was able to order a fixed barrel spacer.  It hasn't come in yet, but I figure that I'll just swap out the spring for the spacer when I use the can on my AR.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:52:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Source for cheap spacer? SiCo @ $65 is a lot of $ for what it is.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 4:34:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Make one?
My AAC one was like $30
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 6:30:37 PM EDT
[#10]
If your form 1 supressor fits a gemtech lid, it will also fit a "B" tube adaptor. They used to be available from SDTA, but I don't know if they are still selling them or not. The other option is for a fixed barrel spacer. Drawings for a gemtech fixed barrel spacer are available all over the net. If you can't find one, send me an IM and I will post one in this thread.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 6:41:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Source for cheap spacer? SiCo @ $65 is a lot of $ for what it is.
View Quote

I believe the griffin spacer will fit and it's only $30 iirc

Its really just a little piece of aluminum tube and doesn't have any holes like the SiCo spacer. I'm prety sure the holes in the SiCo spacer are just to save weight.

I actually cut a piece of aluminum tube to use before I got my spacer from Griffin. I got the tube from the leg of one of those "walkers" that old people use
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 5:11:52 PM EDT
[#12]
This just came in today.  It fits well and should work fine.  It cost me about 10 bucks shipped.  It's just a nicely finished aluminum spacer.  Next time I'll just make my own.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 5:12:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Double tap.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top