Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/22/2017 9:18:43 PM EDT
Now that more and more of these are in shooters hands, is anyone underwelmed by its perfomance on a PCC?  Co-worker just shot his today on a Dakota RS and was not overly impressed.  I won't have mine for another month or two so I am now curious what other's experience has been.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 9:51:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Was his baseline a MK9K because people have been raving about the 9k on a PCC...
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 10:03:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought one, just for pcc use. Other than the size, I am pretty underwhelmed.

It's not terrible, but certainly not the "super can" everyone raved about.

I almost bought two because I have 6 pccs, really glad I bought a Hybrid instead.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 10:13:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I hate to hear this because I just picked mine up. I have an Osprey and Octane 45k and I'm hoping it's at least in the ballpark
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 10:17:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 10:31:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Has your buddy ever shot suppressed before and how much experience does he have with them?  Also what ammo was he shooting as that will make a big difference (super/sub).  Omega 9k with subsonic ammo performs very well for its size.  No it isn't as quite as a full size can but with subs the rifle action makes more noise that the report.  Some FRP and the tone isn't as deep as larger bore cans but for what it is and what it's marketed for it does ok.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 11:07:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I thought the same thing when I tried the 9K.
Though certainly a very compact package, which may matter the most to some,  there is a sound crack that Isn't there with the larger cans, at least to my admittedly sensitive ears.
After shooting subsonic 9mm in a pcc with the full size 45 Omega, with no need for ear protection, switching to the 9K had just enough noise to stop me after the first shot to put in foam earplugs.  

Others with more hearing left to lose were shooting the same setup without comment, but some of them do other things sound wise that I won't do.  
One fellow shoots a .308, with a muzzle brake, leaning inside a horizontal drum in 3 gun, with only foam ear plugs, and doesn't seem to mind it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 11:11:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I'll let you know in like four more months. People have been raving about them on PCCs...I'm sure it's quiet, but there's no way it performs magic. Sure, it's a ~1.5" can instead of the typical ~1.375" cans. And sure, it doesn't have an independent external tube so there's even more volume in there. But it's still a SHORT can relative to the bore size. If you buy an Omega 9K because you're hoping it's going to be super quiet, I think you'll be disappointed. If you buy it hoping it's going to be quiet for being a such a short can, you'll probably be happy.

Tell your buddy to buy an MP5SD.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 1:15:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Has your buddy ever shot suppressed before and how much experience does he have with them?  Also what ammo was he shooting as that will make a big difference (super/sub).  Omega 9k with subsonic ammo performs very well for its size.  No it isn't as quite as a full size can but with subs the rifle action makes more noise that the report.  Some FRP and the tone isn't as deep as larger bore cans but for what it is and what it's marketed for it does ok.
View Quote

He's currently running a 45M on a quarter circle 40S&W SBR, has a MP5SD, running a surefire 9mm can on a Glock 19, several rimfire cans and also just picked up a Hybrid.  He told me he was shooting 147gr subs with the 9K.  Next time I go to the range with him, I should have mine and we can do some more comparisons across various platforms.  I haven't heard it myself but neither one of us expected magic.  It just seems like it didn't live up to the hype for him.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 2:29:39 AM EDT
[#9]
I have one in jail that will hopefully get out soon. I also bought mine for use on a PCC (scorpion SBR). I currently am using an Octane 9. I am not expecting it to be as quiet as the Octane, but I am hoping it will be close.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 7:13:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

"He's currently running a 45M on a quarter circle 40S&W SBR, has a MP5SD, running a surefire 9mm can on a Glock 19"
View Quote

No wonder the Omega 9k isn't sounding good to him when he has an MP5SD to compare it with.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 9:08:16 AM EDT
[#11]
I've got one I'm waiting on. I shot it on a MP5K clone last summer and that's what sold me on it. Will be interesting to try it next to some other cans when it finally clears.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 10:15:13 AM EDT
[#12]
I must be the only one who likes mine. Sounds better than my Ti-Rant9 did. More heavy duty as well. I only have about 300 rounds through it, but I'm glad I switched.  I use almost all Speer 147's with it, and haven't had any problems so far. For some people it might have a loud first round pop, but it doesn't bother me at all. I love the size and performance compared to my Ti-Rant9.

It doesn't seem to be a fair comparison against a 45 can. My Ti-Rant 45 sounds better on my PCC, but is also has way more volume, weight and length.

I don't have a pic with the Ti-Rant45 on the PCC but here's the Ti-Rant 9.

Here's the 9K. PCC is about 4 inches shorter now.

I like mine a lot!
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 2:35:42 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought one for the overall size, so DBs are second for me anyway.  I just wanted to get a better feel for what the actual owners are experiencing.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 3:59:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

He's currently running a 45M on a quarter circle 40S&W SBR, has a MP5SD, running a surefire 9mm can on a Glock 19, several rimfire cans and also just picked up a Hybrid.  He told me he was shooting 147gr subs with the 9K.  Next time I go to the range with him, I should have mine and we can do some more comparisons across various platforms.  I haven't heard it myself but neither one of us expected magic.  It just seems like it didn't live up to the hype for him.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Make sure they're subs. All my 147 grain is supersonic in my MP5K. I need to buy 147 grain ammo that's actually marketed as being subsonic (or load some). A lot of 147 grain is still hot stuff.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 8:47:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Make sure they're subs. All my 147 grain is supersonic in my MP5K. I need to buy 147 grain ammo that's actually marketed as being subsonic (or load some). A lot of 147 grain is still hot stuff.
View Quote

147gr Speer and Winchester Winclean are both subsonic out of my MP5K and my full size.  I've never had that problem.  What brand you running?  Also, I currently run a TiRANT-9 for my three lug can and have been kicking around an Omega 9k......
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 8:54:28 PM EDT
[#16]
I like mine. It is very light and very short compared to my Octane and although not quite as quiet it is pretty close. For me, an Octane is like a "sometime" can but an Omega 9K is like an "all the time" can.

Link Posted: 1/23/2017 9:35:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

147gr Speer and Winchester Winclean are both subsonic out of my MP5K and my full size.  I've never had that problem.  What brand you running?  Also, I currently run a TiRANT-9 for my three lug can and have been kicking around an Omega 9k......
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Speer. And I shoot about 500 feet above sea level, so if it's supersonic here I don't think I would have luck with it anywhere else. Other people I've talked to have said it's subsonic in their K guns, so it must be damn close to transonic.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 9:43:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I like mine. It is very light and very short compared to my Octane and although not quite as quiet it is pretty close. For me, an Octane is like a "sometime" can but an Omega 9K is like an "all the time" can.

http://www.furtography.com/mke/DSC_7877.jpg

http://www.furtography.com/mke/DSC_7898.jpg
View Quote

I see you're not running a SICO three lug; if you own one do you notice any difference with it vs what you have pictured?  I have a Rugged 3 lug for mine but CA recommends using the SICO one.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 10:52:57 PM EDT
[#19]
If you take it for what it is, a mini can, you will be satisfied IMO.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 1:36:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I see you're not running a SICO three lug; if you own one do you notice any difference with it vs what you have pictured?  I have a Rugged 3 lug for mine but CA recommends using the SICO one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.furtography.com/mke/DSC_7877.jpg

http://www.furtography.com/mke/DSC_7898.jpg

He's using a Rugged mount and I use a Griffin mount. I don't know why Capitol would recommend using a SilencerCo 3-lug, they're normally a decent source of info / recommendations.

I wouldn't have bought an Omega 9K if my intent was to use a SilencerCo 3-lug. They need to get their shit together and design a 3-lug mount that doesn't take up two parking spaces. Zero problems with my Griffin mount, and I know others have had zero problems with their Rugged mounts.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 10:44:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 12:17:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

One aspect of that recommendation is to put something together as designed and intended.

The more complex side of it is that muzzle to blast baffle and internal dimensions of the mounts can change things.  Putting the muzzle closer to the blast baffle... what will it do long term, I'm not sure.  Maybe it will be fine, maybe it will cause premature erosion.  Decrease size of blast chamber, could cause the suppressor to be louder.   There's a lot of unknowns.

So to recommend something that may (or may not) be rolling the dice to some degree... it's not good business.  Because something appears to work and people have limited success with it (anyone done 50K+ rounds through one?) doesn't mean it's necessarily a good idea.  

It may be, it may not be... but with an unknown... I can't recommend people go and do it.  

I've said many many times "I can't professionally recommend you do it.  As a business, I would tell you to use what the manufacturer intended.  That being said, I would personally be comfortable doing it all day long."
View Quote

A former SWR/SiCo employee on another NFA forum said they designed the 3-lug adapter with the volume and length it has for a reason. He recommended not using the Griffin. Other than his pride in design,  he has no financial stake in which mount a user would buy.

I agree with CA, I wouldn't loose too much sleep over it. But I would advise anyone not using it as designed to not get upset if SiCo doesn't warranty the can if something happens (big boy rules apply).

I personally just use the direct thread.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 12:46:14 PM EDT
[#23]
I dig the size of this can, especially for subgun-SBRs, but even sico's own specs have it being pretty loud for a 9mm can (131 vs mid-120s for the best 9mm cans - that's twice as loud).
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 12:16:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I dig the size of this can, especially for subgun-SBRs, but even sico's own specs have it being pretty loud for a 9mm can (131 vs mid-120s for the best 9mm cans - that's twice as loud).
View Quote

Yea, to me it's a great hunting/HD can for 300blk, or 9mm handgun/PDW. I plan on buying 1 or 2 once the HPA goes through.

I would still use my Octanes for backyard fun/impressing friends.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 10:15:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Of course the added length of the SCI mount is a bummer but if that was the only downside I would could live with it. But for me the biggest issue with it is that on my own 3 lug guns (some MKE's a few 9mm ARs) the SICO 3 lug fits very loose and wobbly. Loose enough that I was repeatedly getting end cap strikes with my Octane. SICO CS was nice about it and replaced the end cap for me multiple times and gave me another 3 lug to try but the result is the same. The Rugged fits much much tighter.  

Since the end cap of the Omega is welded on and not screwed on like the Octane, I was more nervous about shooting with the SICO 3 lug because I knew for a fact that it was much looser than the Rugged and an end cap strike on the Omega would be a much bigger headache.

So what were my options? Use the manufacturer recommend 3 lug which I know from experience is likely to cause problems or use a coupler from another company that fit much better?  

I have over 1,000 rounds through this combo now on two MKEs and a 9mm AR and it is has been 100% reliable with 0 issues.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 7:11:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Shot mine this evening on a G26.4 with 147gr. Speer Lawman and it was damn quiet. Like really, really quiet -- noticeably more so than my Octane 45K. Thoroughly impressed. Now I'm really excited for my Omega 45K.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 8:21:19 PM EDT
[#27]
My stamp was approved earlier this month, just waiting for it to arrive so I can pick it up.  I plan on running the SiCo 3 lug on a MKE Z-5P SBR.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:40:09 AM EDT
[#28]
I have one that I'm expecting next fall. I bought it for the size, not for the suppression.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:57:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
... The Rugged fits much much tighter...
View Quote

What tool are you using to tighten and loosen/remove if necessary for cleaning or inspection?  I had to borrow my friend's Silencerco Hybrid multi-tool wrench at the range yesterday, which did the job OK but it wasn't a perfect fit so it caused some slippage and marring of the finish. Or is there a customized 3D printed tool out there somewhere? Thx
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 4:48:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

What tool are you using to tighten and loosen/remove if necessary for cleaning or inspection?  I had to borrow my friend's Silencerco Hybrid multi-tool wrench at the range yesterday, which did the job OK but it wasn't a perfect fit so it caused some slippage and marring of the finish. Or is there a customized 3D printed tool out there somewhere? Thx
View Quote

I only tighten by hand. For removal, I just leave the mount on the gun and then unscrew with some grippy gloves. Usually that gets it loose. If not I use a strap wrench. I do use copper anti-seize which helps keep from getting it stuck in the first place.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:15:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Of course the added length of the SCI mount is a bummer but if that was the only downside I would could live with it. But for me the biggest issue with it is that on my own 3 lug guns (some MKE's a few 9mm ARs) the SICO 3 lug fits very loose and wobbly. Loose enough that I was repeatedly getting end cap strikes with my Octane. SICO CS was nice about it and replaced the end cap for me multiple times and gave me another 3 lug to try but the result is the same. The Rugged fits much much tighter.  
View Quote

Are running a thread protector on the threads while using the 3 lug?

I'd try to find a slightly larger thread protector to use with the SICO 3 lug.  I had to find a much smaller one to use the Rugged 3 lug mount.

That might allow the 3 lug to be a little more stable.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:53:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Are running a thread protector on the threads while using the 3 lug?

I'd try to find a slightly larger thread protector to use with the SICO 3 lug.  I had to find a much smaller one to use the Rugged 3 lug mount.

That might allow the 3 lug to be a little more stable.
View Quote

Yes I left the factory MKE thread protector on. I did try a few slightly larger ones and you are right that they did help a little but the fit is still tighter with the Rugged mount.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top