Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/3/2016 8:18:00 PM EDT
Hard to believe that there hasn't been an in-depth video on the Ghost M since Adam's video before it actually hit the dealer's shelves.  Dead Air finally got one to spare and sent it to my SOT which is also my range, so I was able to do some shooting and make a video while I wait for my Form 4.

As I summarize in the video, the Ghost M isn't necessarily quieter than other top 45 cans, but it does offer a unique feature for shooters who shoot wet.  The wipe seems to keep more ablative in the can with each shot, so though it doesn't start out quieter than non-wiped cans shot wet, it does seem to stay quieter longer.  Also, the lack of blowback is noticeable when shooting wet especially.

I'm not sure if wipe front caps are going to catch on, but this is certainly an interesting application of the idea.

Edit: Video viewer isn't showing for me, but the video is at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRAn1YOMSLA.

Ghost Silencer! Dead Air Armament
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 8:19:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Good video.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 9:14:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Much appreciate the video reviews. Good stuff.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 9:17:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Your videos are great and have helped me make some great purchases on items that I can't try before I buy. Keep up the good work!
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 11:03:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for posting another great silencer video!  I've been contemplating adding another pistol can to my lineup.  Since you have used both, if you had to choose between the Ghost M and the Obsidian which would you purchase and why?  In your opinion, are either of these cans a significant enough improvement sound-wise over the Octane 45 to justify their purchase assuming the person has little or no interest in the K configurations?  Thanks again for all the information you provide to prospective NFA purchasers!
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 1:54:19 AM EDT
[#5]
I met the guys from Dead Air yesterday at a local range and they were showing off their line up.  It really is impressive all the features built in to their whole line.  
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 7:42:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for posting another great silencer video!  I've been contemplating adding another pistol can to my lineup.  Since you have used both, if you had to choose between the Ghost M and the Obsidian which would you purchase and why?  In your opinion, are either of these cans a significant enough improvement sound-wise over the Octane 45 to justify their purchase assuming the person has little or no interest in the K configurations?  Thanks again for all the information you provide to prospective NFA purchasers!
View Quote

Lots of shooters say they aren't interested in the K configuration- then they try it.  Yes, it's noticeably louder, but it just feels so much better in the hand.  Get either of those cans, and you'll see what I mean.

They are both great cans, but from what I'm seeing, the Obsidian is selling for nearly $200 less than the Ghost M.  That's a real head scratcher and a pretty big hurdle to leap all on its own.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 10:21:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Awesome review. My stamp on my Ghost should be approved any day now. Can't wait!

I really need their 3 Lug adaptor to be released ASAP.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 11:03:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Same here. Pending 4/23!
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 11:09:55 AM EDT
[#9]
That looks like a very high quality, versatile can.  I want one.  Seriously great review with excellent production values.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 3:45:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Great video!  It will be my next can for sure!
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 8:05:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
That looks like a very high quality, versatile can.  I want one.  Seriously great review with excellent production values.
View Quote

Your avatar is amazing.  Did you create it?
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 8:16:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Another great video.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 9:42:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Excellent video.  A Ghost-M was my final pre 41f can.  Pending June 30th so it'll be a while....
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 10:24:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Can you explain what you mean by "that sounds really good." In reference to shooting 9mm in the k config with wipe. I bought a ghost just before 41p due to availability and the few reports of great tone.

How is it with no earpro on 9mm has been my biggest question for a while with no one really giving a detailed answer. From what it seems at the moment I could be in for disappointment (k-config expectation) but hope to be wrong. I will have it on a cz scorpion dedicated in a k-config
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 10:42:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Can you explain what you mean by "that sounds really good." In reference to shooting 9mm in the k config with wipe. I bought a ghost just before 41p due to availability and the few reports of great tone.

How is it with no earpro on 9mm has been my biggest question for a while with no one really giving a detailed answer. From what it seems at the moment I could be in for disappointment (k-config expectation) but hope to be wrong. I will have it on a cz scorpion dedicated in a k-config
View Quote

I was referring mainly to the tone. Plus, it was significantly quieter than the 300 BLK subsonic I just shot (waaaayyyy loud, but 300 BLK has higher pressure than 45 without filling the bore).  It meters around 135dBs short on 9mm, so it is not going to be quiet compared to a good full sized 9mm can, but it will still sound good on your Scorpion.  You can knock 11dBs off shooting it long and wet, though.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 10:27:18 AM EDT
[#16]
I might be wrong, but after watching both reviews (Ghost and Obsidian), it does seem like you were a little more excited with the Rugged. Obviously you weren't doing a side by side comparison (which would be awesome by the way) and maybe that's an incorrect assumption. But am I right lol?
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 5:24:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I might be wrong, but after watching both reviews (Ghost and Obsidian), it does seem like you were a little more excited with the Rugged. Obviously you weren't doing a side by side comparison (which would be awesome by the way) and maybe that's an incorrect assumption. But am I right lol?
View Quote

Eh... Don't read too much into that.  I think it could've just as easily been the other way around if the order were switched.  Mainly, the Obsidian was the first 45 can that actually sounded good to me, and that was a big surprise.  By the time I tested the Ghost, I had been there, done that and knew what to expect. :)
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 10:06:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Gotcha! Thanks for the clarification. Obsidian on the way now. If HPA passes I'm all over a ghost. The $599 deal at grab a gun has been VERY tempting...
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 11:17:28 PM EDT
[#19]
I was incorrect.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 11:32:45 PM EDT
[#20]

Not sure if I'm really understanding you correctly, or maybe Rod misunderstood you, but the wipe definitely just pops into place on that first ledge.  You'd really have to work, fold, push, and manipulate it to go past that and have it rest against the inside face of the front cap.  If you do that, you could damage the cap when the bullet goes through since the bore doesn't like to share that space with the bullet plus the wipe material that will get dragged through to some degree as it stretches around the bullet.

In other words, just make sure it stops on that first face when you pop it in.  There's actually a groove for it too.  Some visible threads may still be exposed on the outside when you tighten it down because there can be some variability in the rubber wipe and how well you tighten the cap.  Be sure to use the tool to tighten the cap so you really capture the wipe.   That final baffle, called the "cap baffle", contains the wipe on one side, and the cap contains it on other.

Let me know if you need more info!

Todd Magee
Chief Designer, Dead Air

ETA: baffle goes inside to secure the wipe:

Link Posted: 12/5/2016 11:41:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Not sure if I'm really understanding you correctly, or maybe Rod misunderstood you, but the wipe definitely just pops into place on that first ledge.  You'd really have to work, fold, push, and manipulate it to go past that and have it rest against the inside face of the front cap.  If you do that, you could damage the cap when the bullet goes through since the bore doesn't like to share that space with the bullet plus the wipe material that will get dragged through to some degree as it stretches around the bullet.

In other words, just make sure it stops on that first face when you pop it in.  There's actually a groove for it too.  Some visible threads may still be exposed on the outside when you tighten it down because there can be some variability in the rubber wipe and how well you tighten the cap.  Be sure to use the tool to tighten the cap so you really capture the wipe.   That final baffle, called the "cap baffle", contains the wipe on one side, and the cap contains it on other.

Let me know if you need more info!

Todd Magee
Chief Designer, Dead Air

http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz42/Mageever/16%20Wipe%20seated.png

ETA: baffle goes inside to secure the wipe:

http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz42/Mageever/18%20Cap%20Baffle%20and%20Wipe%20Cap.png
View Quote

Awesome! Not sure what happened, but I have ammended my post and you've posted a detail of how it goes, so that's awesome! Thanks for taking the time to do that.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 8:00:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Ghost M 3 Lug is in stock at exile machine https://www.exilemachine.net/shop/dead-air-ghost-3-lug-102936.html  

Just ordered one!
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 9:27:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Ghost M 3 Lug is in stock at exile machine https://www.exilemachine.net/shop/dead-air-ghost-3-lug-102936.html  

Just ordered one!
View Quote

Nice, good to see they are out now and do not seem to add any extra length than a direct thread mount
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 9:30:16 PM EDT
[#24]
How much?
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 9:45:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
How much?
View Quote

$102.60 + $9.99 shipped Texas residents add tax
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 10:21:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

$102.60 + $9.99 shipped Texas residents add tax
View Quote

Yeah. Great price for a 3 Lug!

I have ordered a couple Surefire and Elzeta lights from Exile but didn't expect them to be the first in stock alert for the 3 Lug. I subscribed to as many sights as I could for stock alert on this.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 10:53:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Ok so I have an AR9 with a 1/2 X 28 barrel and I have a ghost with 1/2" piston, .578 piston, and 1/2" direct thread. Should I fo on 3 lug too and get an adapter for the barrel?

Great video as always by the way!
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 12:34:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Anybody know if the dead air and Gemtech 3 lugs have the same thread pitch?
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 1:31:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Anybody know if the dead air and Gemtech 3 lugs have the same thread pitch?
View Quote

I don't believe so. People were asking about the Obsidian 3 lug working on the Ghost and that was a no. The Gemtech works on the Obsidian so I would expect it not to work on the Ghost as well.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 3:27:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I don't believe so. People were asking about the Obsidian 3 lug working on the Ghost and that was a no. The Gemtech works on the Obsidian so I would expect it not to work on the Ghost as well.
View Quote

You're saying the Rugged module has the same thread pitch as Gemtech?
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 4:04:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

You're saying the Rugged module has the same thread pitch as Gemtech?
View Quote

Sorry I think I confused myself. The Griffen along with Rugged and SiCo 3 lugs all work together. Not sure about Gemtech.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 12:58:09 AM EDT
[#32]
Found one other place (checked about 40!) that has at least a few 3 lug adapters in stock for the ghost!

http://www.livengoodoutdoors.com/misc-accessories/24223-dead-air-ghost-3-lug.html
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 10:31:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Anymore sources for in stock mounts? 
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 4:31:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Anymore sources for in stock mounts? 
View Quote

CapitolArmory.com has them in stock.  I just ordered one.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 5:32:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 6:13:59 PM EDT
[#36]
I found one from DSG Arms last night.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 12:37:28 PM EDT
[#37]
I was finally able to pick mine up yesterday. I think I was in the first batch - I ordered it from Capitol Armory on January 19, 2016 (serial number under 150). ATF cashed my check (Form 4 Trust) on April 19th. So almost a year from start to finish.

I am having some trouble with either the .578"-28 piston or the OEM threaded barrel on my M&P 45. I get about 2 turns and it doesn't want to go any further. The S&W thread protector works fine. I guess I need to try the piston on another barrel.

Link Posted: 1/3/2017 12:45:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Looks good! Ordered mine in Feb, forms got sent July 1st...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top