Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/30/2016 10:36:32 PM EDT
...and I get held up on a 4473 delay when I went to pick it up.  Who else has run into it?

FBATFE
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 10:39:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
...and I get held up on a 4473 delay when I went to pick it up.  Who else has run into it?

FBATFE
View Quote

Isn't that why you should be having your AZ CCW? That's the main reason I got mine originally. I always got delayed becuz of a previous record which got expunged. But of course the nics investigator people are idiots and delay it always.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 12:40:58 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm still waiting on my first suppressor Form 4, so I "know nothing", but didn't I read that the 4473 specifically says that a NICS check is not required for picking up an NFA item?

Rob
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 12:52:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm still waiting on my first suppressor Form 4, so I "know nothing", but didn't I read that the 4473 specifically says that a NICS check is not required for picking up an NFA item?

Rob
View Quote

It caught me off guard having to do it again, but they said it's a standard req.  My sanity has held simply from a couple days refitting the suspension on my bike.  What's three more days?  Strange and frustrating nonetheless.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 12:55:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
[It caught me off guard having to do it again, but they said it's a standard req.
View Quote

you picked a SOT that pretty much doesn't understand instructions, or is making things up on their own.

block 22 of the 4473 says no NICS check is required because transfer only  involves a NFA
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 12:26:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I've never had a background check ran when picking up NFA items.  I've filled out the 4473 for the dealers disposal logs.  I always understood the rule to be that the BATFE clears you to own the item during the whole form 4 or form 1 process.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 12:56:31 PM EDT
[#6]
https://www.guntrustlawyer.com/files/2015/02/ATF-13-0574-4473-Trus-tResponse-Letter.pdf

Because unincorporated trusts are not "persons" under the GCA, a Federal firearms licensee
(FFL) cannot transfer firearms to them without complying with the GCA. Thus, when an FFL
transfers an NFA firearm to a trustee or other person acting on behalf of a trust, the transfer is
made to this person as an individual (i.e., not as a trust). As the trustee or other person acting on
behalf of the trust is not the approved transferee under the NFA, 18 U.S.C. 5812, the trustee or
other person acting on behalf of a trust must undergo a NICS check. The individual must also be
a resident of the same State as the FFL when receiving the firearm.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 3:23:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
https://www.guntrustlawyer.com/files/2015/02/ATF-13-0574-4473-Trus-tResponse-Letter.pdf

Because unincorporated trusts are not "persons" under the GCA, a Federal firearms licensee
(FFL) cannot transfer firearms to them without complying with the GCA. Thus, when an FFL
transfers an NFA firearm to a trustee or other person acting on behalf of a trust, the transfer is
made to this person as an individual (i.e., not as a trust). As the trustee or other person acting on
behalf of the trust is not the approved transferee under the NFA, 18 U.S.C. 5812, the trustee or
other person acting on behalf of a trust must undergo a NICS check. The individual must also be
View Quote

So... individual = no 4473, trust = 4473?
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 3:42:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Right.
"cannot transfer firearms"
does not include suppressors. You should be able to fill out 4473 with no BC for a suppressor on a trust, I would think.
Interesting about this quote, since I would think now all "responsible persons" on the trust are the approved transferee and no longer need a redundant background check.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 5:13:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So... individual = no 4473, trust = 4473?
View Quote

More like (according to the ATF letter) trust = NICS, no trust = no NICS.

Contrary to the ATF letter my dealer ran a NICS check when I bought an SBR even though I'm an LLC, but IDGAS because I've never not come back as instant approve. *shrug*
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 5:14:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
"cannot transfer firearms" does not include suppressors.
View Quote

Says who? The GCA (which required the 4473 and NICS checks) includes "any firearm muffler or firearm silencer" in the definition of "firearm."
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 5:40:38 PM EDT
[#11]
My first few stamps were on individual and my last few were on a trust. . I never filled out any paperwork when picking them up. I always thought it was wierd that you jump through hoops to get approval then just get handed a Suppressor.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 7:58:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

More like (according to the ATF letter) trust = NICS, no trust = no NICS.

Contrary to the ATF letter my dealer ran a NICS check when I bought an SBR even though I'm an LLC, but IDGAS because I've never not come back as instant approve. *shrug*
View Quote

I don't either but of course get held up on the one thing I've already waited 9 months for.  My CHL is OOS so it won't work in AZ for a carry out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top