Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/30/2016 1:58:16 PM EDT
With the hearing act in sight is it affecting/slowing down suppressor sales?
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 2:33:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd be surprised.  I'd imagine it would only be from people that don't want to do paperwork in the first place.  41f probably had a much bigger impact.  Huge rush leading up then things got slow afterwards.  Looks like things are starting to even out a little now but I know I got what I really wanted before the hammer dropped.

I'll honestly be surprised if the HPA passes.  I want it to but I'm not going to get my hopes up.  This is congress we are talking about.........
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 3:19:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I do think HPA will pass, but to the extent that suppressors become available over the counter, cash and carry, probably with an "instant" background check, no $200 tax relief, sure as hell no refunds. That would still be a heck of a victory, IMO.

I wouldn't think anyone is waiting for it to pass, except maybe someone terrified of the gov't having their info, which it already has or can get anyway.

With an NFA trust I made some impulse NFA purchases. No way I am going to do that with 41FuckYou in force, except maybe if the shop has a kiosk when the kiosks are up and working for SBRs and non SS items.

If suppressors ever become cash and carry sales will go through the roof.

JPK
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 3:46:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I do not plan on purchasing anymore cans unless the HPA passes. I already have 7, purchased prior to 41f. Fuck all that fingerprint etc nonsense. HPA goes through, and there's at least 5 on my short list.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 4:33:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Shouldn't as they thought of that and it includes a tax refund.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 4:36:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The *proposed* legislation has a tax refund.  Doesn't mean it'll pass in that form.  

I want the HPA to pass, but I am highly skeptical.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 4:42:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The *proposed* legislation has a tax refund.  Doesn't mean it'll pass in that form.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes but it is in the bill RIGHT NOW, to avoid effecting sales RIGHT NOW. Sure it can change later, just like FOPA86 suddenly had a fucking machine gun ban added to it. Who knows, maybe the silencer bill will ban threaded BBLS.....

Anyway, I can guarantee you right now HR3799 is not going to pass.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 5:10:00 PM EDT
[#7]
And that is (only) because the HPA has to be reintroduced when the new congress convenes.

Like I said, I think it will pass, but without any tax refunds, with a $200 tax of some sort and with an "instant" background check. Still a significant victory, IMO.

JPK
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 5:10:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not from my perspective.  Look at it this way, background checks are taking 8 to 9 months.  In that time, if the bill does pass and NOT have the refund included, those forms that are pending can be cancelled which includes a refund.  As I said in in this thread:

When HPA is passed, there will be a mad rush to buy like we’ve never seen before. I suspect every dealer and distributor to be sold out within days of the bill’s passage.

Consider most manufacturers are just now catching up to the 41F rush and some still aren’t caught up.

If you buy now, you will be ahead of everybody else. At the start date of the HPA, just pick-up the cans you have pending and cancel the form 4 for refund. Of course, this depends on the final text of the law.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 5:11:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I do think HPA will pass, but to the extent that suppressors become available over the counter, cash and carry, probably with an "instant" background check, no $200 tax relief, sure as hell no refunds. That would still be a heck of a victory, IMO.

I wouldn't think anyone is waiting for it to pass, except maybe someone terrified of the gov't having their info, which it already has or can get anyway.

With an NFA trust I made some impulse NFA purchases. No way I am going to do that with 41FuckYou in force, except maybe if the shop has a kiosk when the kiosks are up and working for SBRs and non SS items.

If suppressors ever become cash and carry sales will go through the roof.

JPK
View Quote

I think that people are waiting, because if it passes in, say, 3 months, they might get a can cheaper and faster than if they went through the regular process.

Of course, if it does pass, I think that demand will outstrip production for at least two years, so availability will go down if anything.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 5:30:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I think that people are waiting, because if it passes in, say, 3 months, they might get a can cheaper and faster than if they went through the regular process.

Of course, if it does pass, I think that demand will outstrip production for at least two years, so availability will go down if anything.
View Quote

I don't think they will be cheaper in the short term.  It takes time to spool up that much production.  For new companies coming online, there is R&D time to add.  IMHO, if HPA passes, it will take at least 3 to 5 years for the industry to catch up to demand.

So why are people waiting, to avoid the tax and wait time?  How long are folks willing to wait until it passes; 1, 2, 10 years?
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 5:34:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I do not plan on purchasing anymore cans unless the HPA passes. I already have 7, purchased prior to 41f. Fuck all that fingerprint etc nonsense. HPA goes through, and there's at least 5 on my short list.
View Quote

Same here.  No more cans for me without the HPA passing as I just don't need them that badly.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 5:45:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Same here.  No more cans for me without the HPA passing as I just don't need them that badly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Another +1. Don't see myself buying anything until it passes. If/when it does, I might find it hard to resist.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 5:51:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I don't think they will be cheaper in the short term.  It takes time to spool up that much production.  For new companies coming online, there is R&D time to add.  IMHO, if HPA passes, it will take at least 3 to 5 years for the industry to catch up to demand.

So why are people waiting, to avoid the tax and wait time?  How long are folks willing to wait until it passes; 1, 2, 10 years?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This exactly. I don't think there is a chance that prices for cans will fall drastically in the short term, HPA or not. It has taken months for companies to recoup from 41F and the HPA would have a far greater impact on demand.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 5:58:10 PM EDT
[#14]
if it passes I think homebuilt numbers will grow super fast
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 6:05:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Buy stock in oil filters!
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 6:07:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 6:59:14 PM EDT
[#17]
I personally don't think HPA will pass anytime soon, possibly not until Trumps second term.  I know it's got alot of backing, but politically it could destroy his chance at a second term if HPA passes and someone goes on a shooting spree with a couple suppressed guns.  I hope I am wrong because I need a suppressor for every single gun.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 7:01:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Since the Republicans don't hold a super majority in either senate and house, it won't pass. Not all the Republicans are for it either. There's a video from the Gun Collective on YouTube that explains it pretty well. Buy now and see what happens down the road. I'll try now to see if I can find the video...

Found it...

Link Posted: 11/30/2016 7:04:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Since the Republicans don't hold a super majority in either senate and house, it won't pass. .
View Quote

Neither requires a supermajority to pass. Just a simple majority.

If everything required a supermajority, repeal of ObamaCare would be DOA, as well as just about everything else they are planning to pass.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 7:30:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yes but it is in the bill RIGHT NOW, to avoid effecting sales RIGHT NOW. Sure it can change later, just like FOPA86 suddenly had a fucking machine gun ban added to it. Who knows, maybe the silencer bill will ban threaded BBLS.....

View Quote

Of course not.  It's been languishing for 18 months or so, and there just isn't enough time before the end of this Congress.

We'll see when it gets reintroduced in the next Congress, but even then,I don't hold out a lot of hope for it passing as a stand alone.  It has to be attached to something the Dims want so bad they'll do anything to get it... like the Food Stamp appropriations bill.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 9:35:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Of course not.  It's been languishing for 18 months or so, and there just isn't enough time before the end of this Congress.

We'll see when it gets reintroduced in the next Congress, but even then,I don't hold out a lot of hope for it passing as a stand alone.  It has to be attached to something the Dims want so bad they'll do anything to get it... like the Food Stamp appropriations bill.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, I just don't have faith it'll pass.  I hope it will but I am not optimistic.  It's not affecting my purchases but 41f did.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 9:44:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

If everything required a supermajority, repeal of ObamaCare would be DOA, as well as just about everything else they are planning to pass.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Since the Republicans don't hold a super majority in either senate and house, it won't pass. .

You're correct on what you said. For it to pass as fast as the everyone would like, the supermajority is needed and all of the Republicans would need to be on the same page. I already have a few more cans that I'm looking at and saving up for. My March/April bonus should cover them. If this passes, a refund on the stamps would be awesome, but I'm not holding my breath.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 10:37:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Another +1. Don't see myself buying anything until it passes. If/when it does, I might find it hard to resist.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here but it's not because of the HPA.  I'm not dealing with that 41F unless the price is right. But the prices are ridiculous right now so......
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 10:43:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep, me too.  Covered all the bases before 41F and even got a salvo.  10 suppressors waiting. Either the HPA passes or Im done
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 11:09:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I say cheaper, I mean because of the lack of a $200 tax stamp.  But you're right, actual prices aren't going to go down until production catches up with supply, however long that takes.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 12:39:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Ok.  I have my 1st pistol can.  But really its anticlimactic. After shooting through it and all it's like yeah cool??   So i went through all this time and expense for....?   I would get a 30cal can in a heart beat if i coukd walk up to the counter a putchase one.   But im not going through that mess again.  The neighbors at the farm will just have to suffer until the gov realizes the benefits.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 2:57:56 AM EDT
[#27]
I think most people who intended to buy much in the near future already did so in the first half of the year.

Lots of sales to be made on muzzle devices, pistons, etc, though.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 7:36:48 AM EDT
[#28]
I'm one of those people that's waiting for it to pass. Not because I'm anti stamp or .gov having my info (already have a can and SBR) but I'm
1) not willing to spend the stamp money if I don't have to
2) not in "need" of a new can
3) willing to make my own, especially once companies come out with 80%

I think the market will go kinda nuts. If anything, I see top level cans going p in price by about $200, because hell, we're willing to pay that now so why wouldn't they. I see a bunch of cheap companies coming in, hopefully quickly.

as far as demand? Yes I am one of the people that will suppress all the things. But I already have that itch scratched, like I think most people that are leaning towards a can have already done.

I would love to get a multi caliber can and have been saving for one since before this law was getting close. But 1-3 more would be sweet, I don't need 40 and I don't mind waiting.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 10:02:41 PM EDT
[#29]
If it does pass, I think Silencerco will regret pushing for its passage as the market becomes overwhelmed with cheapo cans and oil filter setups.

I think in the longer term, once passed, cans will lose a lot of their appeal for people who usually just end up shooting at a controlled range anyway.

I am good with all the multiple 41F scares.  Would like a small 9mm can but I am in no rush.

I would just really like to know what goes on as part of the NFA background check vs. the regular NICS check.  And if the NFA check is better, I could see people arguing that should take place for every handgun vs. a handgun muffler.

What might make passage easier is to have the CCW reciprocity include a section where a CCW permit waives the NFA background check and its cash and carry.

The real question for the HPA, does it take into account subsequent transfers including private transfers?
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 11:11:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
cans will lose a lot of their appeal for people who usually just end up shooting at a controlled range anyway.
View Quote

Care to elaborate? I shoot at a private gun range that is "controlled" and I love having quiet time... then some fudd shows up with a muzzle brake and knocks all the dust off the rafters for an afternoon..

If HPA passes, prices won't drop overnight. All the stock on the shelves was paid for at current market prices. I dont see dealers taking a loss. I think most would be happy to walk out with it same-day, instead of waiting 6-12mos (or longer?)
Buy what you want now, if HPA passes, your cans area already yours, just do the 4473 and take them home. Maybe get a $200/ea refund, maybe not? I would rather have the cans I want "in hand" than to be with the masses, trying to battle it out like Black Friday
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 11:31:14 AM EDT
[#31]
I have what I need but would like a few more. I'm holding off because it's not a priority and the possibility of it being easier in the future. I don't see it as particularly likely though.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 11:43:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 3:54:10 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Care to elaborate? I shoot at a private gun range that is "controlled" and I love having quiet time... then some fudd shows up with a muzzle brake and knocks all the dust off the rafters for an afternoon..

View Quote

I can't remember the last time I was on a range by myself, at least an outdoor range.   Here in Phoenix metro area, its a long drive to the desert where shooting is allowed.  And no new outdoor ranges have opened in the last 16 years I have lived here.  So with all the population growth and increased sale of guns, the outdoor ranges are always crowded.  Indoor, maybe you would be the only person there at 7PM Saturday or 9AM Sunday.   They would still want you to have ear pro regardless.  Yeah a can can tame a 5.56 SBR, but for many guns, its hard to tell much of a difference when the range is crowded.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 11:01:31 AM EDT
[#34]
I'm going to wait and see if it passes. I have the minimum of what I need right now, but would buy more if no tax or wait. I would imagine this dead zone between 41f kicking in and the possibility of HPA passing is going to put a hurting on suppressor manufactures, but if HPA passes it should drive competition up and prices down. Look at the prices in countries where there are virtually no restrictions on them, New Zealand, Poland, and Norway and you can see what would happen here.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 11:30:48 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's my plan!
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 12:49:53 PM EDT
[#36]
The more I think about it, the more I am sure I won't pay another tax stamp so long as republicans are in power. I'll wait until HPA passes, then I'll probably build my own.
Seeing as how the largest local gun shop has maybe a dozen or two suppressors on the shelf, I can imagine every last one selling within hours of the HPA passing. Supply will dry up almost immediately, and prices will soar. I think many underestimate the dollar value of that 8 month wait. Building your own will be the only option for a while. Supply will eventually catch up, and you'll see a wider range of price points, but production can't happen overnight.

Lastly - we have an incredibly short 4 year window for this to happen though (could even be a 2-year window w/ the House).
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 1:12:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 6:16:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Meanwhile....

Currently my plans are one of the Finalists from That Thread and hopefully another Suppressor in June or July.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 6:28:55 PM EDT
[#39]
IMO, if/when suppressors become easier to buy, I think prices are going to go up at first but then come back down to "normal" prices after it lost its pazaz.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 9:33:11 PM EDT
[#40]
41f is a bust. Silencer shop and capitol armory have 5 minute kiosks. I got finger printed and pictures while I picked up my first two cans of the 8 I bought. People are just pissed and like me wanted to beat the law but it really is not a big deal. The tax refund would be huge and either lead to more cans or more hosts...
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 12:44:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I have what I need but would like a few more. I'm holding off because it's not a priority and the possibility of it being easier in the future. I don't see it as particularly likely though.
View Quote

Same here, I have what I need.

However, I think that the HPA passing is extremely unlikely. Its a solution looking for a problem. Suppressors are already legal to purchase, own and use in most states. The HPA is just a way to make it easier. Im not really sure if I want every gun owner to be able to buy a suppressor. There are a lot of responsible gun owners, but there are also a lot of irresponsible gun owners. And once they are off NFA, it will be inevitable that some criminal will use one in a crime.

What we really need is a rollback of the Hughes Amendment so we can get new machine guns into the registry and get prices back to reality. I say rollback the Hughes Amendment and tighten up the NFA even more, like requiring storage requirements (certain level of safe, etc.).

The HPA is never gonna happen. Too much violence in Chicago and other places to allow it. As well as a suppressor is not something listed in the Second Amendment.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 12:52:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Amazes me how many people on a gun forum hate freedom.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 1:07:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

However, I think that the HPA passing is extremely unlikely. Its a solution looking for a problem. Suppressors are already legal to purchase, own and use in most states. The HPA is just a way to make it easier. Im not really sure if I want every gun owner to be able to buy a suppressor. There are a lot of responsible gun owners, but there are also a lot of irresponsible gun owners. And once they are off NFA, it will be inevitable that some criminal will use one in a crime.

What we really need is a rollback of the Hughes Amendment so we can get new machine guns into the registry and get prices back to reality. I say rollback the Hughes Amendment and tighten up the NFA even more, like requiring storage requirements (certain level of safe, etc.).

The HPA is never gonna happen. Too much violence in Chicago and other places to allow it. As well as a suppressor is not something listed in the Second Amendment.
View Quote

Yikes
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 1:43:33 PM EDT
[#44]
unreal
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 2:22:05 PM EDT
[#45]
If HPA passes cans will be the new .22 LR for neck beards.  

It will be years until the market levels back out.  If the D doesn't get power again and repeal it all before it catches back up.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 2:44:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only part I agree with in your entire post is "What we really need is a rollback of the Hughes Amendment so we can get new machine guns into the registry and get prices back to reality"

Link Posted: 12/12/2016 2:44:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Yikes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yikes

Wow. You're not helping dude. Please DON't call your reps and give them ideas.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 2:45:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Yikes
View Quote

Yea, yikes. I'd rip into that post, it's stupidity, contradiction, illogic, the arrogance and elitism, but I think it would be preaching to the choir for the great majority here and falling on the deaf ears of the one, or maybe few, that could really use it.

As illogical as it is, ATF defines suppressors as firearms. They must, or suppressors wouldn't fall under NFA to begin with.

I don't think there is any Q whether the HPA will pass, it is just a question of whether a tax of some sort remains. I think the tax will stay the same. I don't think a refund provision has a snowball's chance in hell. So, in what would be a huge victory, I think we will have instant check, pay the cost, buy the stamp at the store like you buy duck stamps tax and walk away with your suppressor.

JPK
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 5:16:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I don't think there is any Q whether the HPA will pass, it is just a question of whether a tax of some sort remains. I think the tax will stay the same. I don't think a refund provision has a snowball's chance in hell. So, in what would be a huge victory, I think we will have instant check, pay the cost, buy the stamp at the store like you buy duck stamps tax and walk away with your suppressor.
View Quote

It is unlikely that the $200 tax would stay on a non-NFA item. They would most likely be taxed at the normal Title 1 firearm FAET of 11% which is built into the price of ever firearm you buy now.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 6:04:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

It is unlikely that the $200 tax would stay on a non-NFA item. They would most likely be taxed at the normal Title 1 firearm FAET of 11% which is built into the price of ever firearm you buy now.
View Quote

Yes, I am aware of the excise tax. However, I believe that in order to get some version of the HPA passed with the support of the primarily conservative budget hawks a stream of revenue similar to the current stream will have to be part of the bill. I think a strong arguement exists that a lower rate of taxation will produce a higher stream of revenue because of higher volume sales when suppressors are removed from NFA jurisdiction, but "static" budget scoring (assuming tax costs do not effect behavior) is the standard in DC (when it should always be dynamic scoring (assuming tax costs do effect behavior) - see Laffer Curve.) In addition, the leftist will always want to tax the piss out of anyone they see as not a constituent, and a "typical" suppressor buyer lands in several of their least favored non constituent groups. So, needing 60 votes in the Senate, which means all of the Republicans and, iirc, at least six Democraps to go along, the $200/suppressor tax is going to stay, as I see it.

The Democrats' Senate Minority Leader, complete anti gun commie Charles Schumer from NY, will be violently against the bill and will try to filibuster the bill. Only the fact that 15 or so Democrap senators, some from states that went overwhelmingly for Trump, are up for reelection in 2018 will break the six needed free from Schumer's filibuster effort.

JPK
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top