Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/28/2016 11:45:21 PM EDT
To celebrate the morning of November 9th I bought a Walther P22 on November 14.
I'm now narrowing the choices of Which .22 Suppressor to Buy.

I want your Yeas and Nays of your opinions.

Currently the choices are from AAC, Gem-Tech, Tactical Innovations, Coastal and Maybe Ruger
If you have a better idea of a suppressor that SilencerCo carries let me know.  My Class III is an Authorized SilencerCo Dealer so that should hopefully make things faster and smoother.

Obligatory picture of latest noisemaker:

Link Posted: 11/28/2016 11:50:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I assume you mean your dealer is a Silencer Shop affiliate?

If they carry them, go with the Dead Air Mask HD. Awesome little can with virtually no FRP. Sounds awesome in a pistol and rifle.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 12:16:10 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a SilencerCo Spectre II and a GM-22. I have had the opportunity to listen to a bunch others.

IMO, there isn't one best 22lr suppressor, but here are a couple that run at the top and meet different demands.

The Mask is a great suppressor that is reported to be relatively easy to clean, and to me sounds the same as the Spectre II but in a shorter package. So if a lack of FRP (First Roind Pop) is important but weight not an issue, the Mask would be a great choice.

The GM-22 is an incredibly light suppressor that is also short. Suppression is about equal with the Spectre II and Mask to my ear, but on a pistol there is FRP (but odly, not on a rifle.) It is great on the end of a small, light pistol like the P22, which is one of my pistol hosts. Cleaning a GM-22 isn't a big deal, but it is best done just after shooting, when the suppressor is hot, and no easy clean option like a pin tumbler. I think the ACC Element shares similar traits, but I don't have first hand experience with one.

So, pick the traits you favor, lack of FRP, length, weight, easy of maintenance.... then pick the suppressor which has the best combination of traits.

JPK

Link Posted: 11/29/2016 12:34:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Dead Air Mask all day.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 12:39:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Silen-we'll-fix-your-22-can-for-free-even-if-your-friend-shot-the-tube-co Spectre or a Dead Air Mask.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 9:14:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 3:06:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a Spectre 2 in hand and a Ruger SilentSR in jail.  The takedown on the Ruger was a nice feature.  I am thrilled with the sound of the Spectre 2, you can't go wrong with one.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 3:41:44 PM EDT
[#7]

Spectre II or Dead Air Mask.

Link Posted: 11/29/2016 4:28:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I assume you mean your dealer is a Silencer Shop affiliate?

If they carry them, go with the Dead Air Mask HD. Awesome little can with virtually no FRP. Sounds awesome in a pistol and rifle.
View Quote

This.  Very happy with my Mask.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 5:17:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If I was in the market for a .22 LR suppressor right now, I'd get a Dead Air Mask.
View Quote

I've heard this repeatedly but never shot one.  Specs look good though.  I have the following 22lr muzzle cans:

Thompson Wasp 22
AAC Pilot with Gemtech IOU conversion (same core as a GM-22)
AAC Prodigy 2
AAC Element 2
Silencerco Sparrow SS
Silencerco Spectre 2

As mentioned the Spectre 2 is very quiet and has basically no FRP.  It is pretty heavy on the end of my P22 though.  I get lots of use from my Prodigy 2 and my Element 2.  Prodigy is an aluminum monocore that makes it more difficult to clean.  Element 2 is stainless baffles in a titanium tube.  Not as easy to clean as the Spectre, but about half the weight.  The Element 2 is also stupid quiet, one of the quietest 22lr cans out there.  If you are going to get only one 22lr can then I would be right there with everyone else recommending the Mask or the Spectre 2.  If you are going to buy another one (and you will....), you'll want a lighter one for pistol use.

If I could only have two of the ones I have it'd probably be the Spectre 2 and the Element 2.  Spectre for rifles and Element for pistols.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 6:12:26 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I've heard this repeatedly but never shot one.  Specs look good though.  I have the following 22lr muzzle cans:

Thompson Wasp 22

AAC Prodigy 2

AAC Element 2

Silencerco Sparrow SS

Silencerco Spectre 2

As mentioned the Spectre 2 is very quiet and has basically no FRP.  It is pretty heavy on the end of my P22 though.  I get lots of use from my Prodigy 2 and my Element 2.  Prodigy is an aluminum monocore that makes it more difficult to clean.  Element 2 is stainless baffles in a titanium tube.  Not as easy to clean as the Spectre, but about half the weight.  The Element 2 is also stupid quiet, one of the quietest 22lr cans out there.  If you are going to get only one 22lr can then I would be right there with everyone else recommending the Mask or the Spectre 2.  If you are going to buy another one (and you will....), you'll want a lighter one for pistol use.

If I could only have two of the ones I have it'd probably be the Spectre 2 and the Element 2.  Spectre for rifles and Element for pistols.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If I was in the market for a .22 LR suppressor right now, I'd get a Dead Air Mask.

Thompson Wasp 22

AAC Prodigy 2

AAC Element 2

Silencerco Sparrow SS

Silencerco Spectre 2

The Mask really does sound good. I've got nine different rimfire cans and it's definitely one of my favorites. The way you talk about the E2, I can't wait till mine gets out of jail - only another 2-3 months.

Link Posted: 11/29/2016 6:30:41 PM EDT
[#11]
I checked, asked and was told using SilencerCo would delay an already obscene wait.

SO:
The contestants are:
Tactical Innovations - Status
Coastal - Impulse
Coastal - Ultimate
Gem-Tech - GM-22
AAC - Element 2
Coastal - Passport

Currently I'm leaning towards either the Gem-Tech or the last Coastal I mentioned.
But I haven't made up my mind (don't laugh) up Just Yet.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 6:55:35 PM EDT
[#12]
I just got my Mask out of jail and have only fired a few rounds so far but I like what I hear. Not quite as popular but my Liberty Regulator sounds pretty damn good too.

I get torn because a monocore baffle is easy with fewer parts. But the Regulator (also a Mystic X owner)gets gunked up with stuff between tube and monocore making it a bitch to get loose. I now see the beauty in the Sparrow half sleeves. The Mask will be a lot easier to disassemble but I'm not as big of a fan of all the loose baffles. First world problems I guess...
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 7:02:20 PM EDT
[#13]
My current favorite is the new monocore Checkmate followed very closely by the Element 2. I like the Checkmate because it is lighter than the Spectre and Mask, has the ability to be a direct thread can or a quick detach using mini 3 Lug mounts, and is pretty easy to clean with the included pusher tool. The FRP on a pistol is about the same as a Spectre. So its very minimal.To me and everyone present it sounds as good as Spectre through the entire mag. They just have different tones. This was with a 22/45 Lite and a MKIII Paclite using Gemtech ammo. It's usually mounted to a AR22. It's recessed under the rail with the 3 lug mount just like my AR9. It's awesome. For reference, I have a Spectre 2, Sparrow SS, Checkmate, and Element 2. If you don't care about QD, I feel the Element is the gold standard. It's just a little harder to clean.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 7:10:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I checked, asked and was told using SilencerCo would delay an already obscene wait.

SO:
The contestants are:
Coastal - Impulse
Coastal - Ultimate
Gem-Tech - GM-22
AAC - Element 2
Coastal - Passport

Currently I'm leaning towards either the Gem-Tech or the last Coastal I mentioned.
View Quote

Out of those for a first rimfire can the Element is the only way to go. Maybe the Gemtech as a second 22 can if you want something extra light weight. I would forget the rest.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 7:20:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Silen-we'll-fix-your-22-can-for-free-even-if-your-friend-shot-the-tube-co Spectre or a Dead Air Mask.
View Quote

I pissed a little in my shorts when I saw this. To answer the OP's question, Silencerco all the way. So far the best CS I've encountered in suppressor land.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 7:22:26 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote

Does your dealer have everything else in stock? Sounds like your dealer is being lazy - a Form 3 shouldn't take that long. Get what you want - especially with a rimfire suppressor.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 7:24:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

SO:
The contestants are:
Coastal - Impulse
Coastal - Ultimate
Gem-Tech - GM-22
AAC - Element 2
Coastal - Passport

View Quote

Out of this list I'll agree it's no contest.  Element 2 all the way.  GM-22 as a 2nd.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 7:27:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Does your dealer have everything else in stock? Sounds like your dealer is being lazy - a Form 3 shouldn't take that long. Get what you want - especially with a rimfire suppressor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Engineer, you'll love your Element.  Great can and not as hard to clean as some state.  Just don't shoot 2k between cleanings.  I've never had to use the supplied pusher but I did have to use the back of the brush to push the baffles out.  No FRP, rated for 22mag, and light.  What's not to like?
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 7:42:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 7:47:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What I mentioned is what he has In Stock.
While I could have had him use SilencerCo I know from experience (baffle strike) how long a Dealer to Dealer Transfer can take.
I hope to have the can back in time for a quiet -  if you know what I mean - July 4th.  From what I understand if I used SilencerCo I probably wouldn't get it until Next Christmas.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 7:54:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Like my Sparrow.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 8:04:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Like my Sparrow.
View Quote

Not in stock.  I was seriously thinking of it, too.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 8:24:11 PM EDT
[#23]
I own somewhere around 12-15 22 cans….. The Dead Air Mask is king for the moment. A close second in tone and dB levels is the CGS Group Stainless Hydra.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 8:30:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
To celebrate the morning of November 9th I bought a Walther P22 on November 14.
I'm now narrowing the choices of Which .22 Suppressor to Buy.

I want your Yeas and Nays of your opinions.

Currently the choices are from AAC, Gem-Tech, Tactical Innovations, Coastal and Maybe Ruger
If you have a better idea of a suppressor that SilencerCo carries let me know.  My Class III is an Authorized SilencerCo Dealer so that should hopefully make things faster and smoother.

Obligatory picture of latest noisemaker:

http://s6.postimg.org/mm1s7802p/Walther_P22.jpg
View Quote

I've got a P22 also & have a Dead Air Mask & AAC Element 2. Love 'em!!!
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 10:08:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I own somewhere around 12-15 22 cans….. The Dead Air Mask is king for the moment. A close second in tone and dB levels is the CGS Group Stainless Hydra.
View Quote

Do you have an Element 2?
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 10:53:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 11:31:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I think the Element 2 is a fantastic can as well if your dealer has one in stock.  I've got one pending, I shot it at the QRF shoot a few months ago on a Ruger 22/45 and it's a great performer.
View Quote

He does and I'm thinking of it.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 12:06:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'd like a Mask, but that darn Hydra SS is calling my name.  Don't need it......
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 12:11:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Can you help us and describe what you're looking for in a rinfire can? The two you picked off your list are Al baffle/monocore cans. are you looking for a lightweight can? If so, do you understand the trade offs between weight and cleaning options with an Al core?
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 2:00:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Although I already "voted," I thought I would add to get the .22 suppressor you want.  Don't settle for something different for what is essentially a lifelong purchase.

Does this help?

Link Posted: 11/30/2016 2:12:10 PM EDT
[#31]
I have an Element 2, awesome on both pistol and rifle. Very quiet. Pain to clean. I have a Spectre II on order.

Get a good .22 can. You'll use it a ton, and own it forever.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 2:50:20 PM EDT
[#32]
These would be the rimfire suppressors I would be looking at. I personally have three of these in jail.

Tactical Solutions Axiom
Dead Air Mask
AAC Element 2
CGS Hydra SS
Liberty Regulator
GA Checkmate
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 6:43:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Can you help us and describe what you're looking for in a rinfire can? The two you picked off your list are Al baffle/monocore cans. are you looking for a lightweight can? If so, do you understand the trade offs between weight and cleaning options with an Al core?
View Quote

Part One: He Has To Have It In Stock Right Now.

I also plan to buy Another Suppressor, Suppressor No.5,  Stamp No. 7 come June.  By that time I hope Suppressors will be OFF the NFA List.

At This Moment I'm leaning towards monocore but I haven't decided.  Currently I'm thinking the GM-22 or one of the Coastal jobs.  I'm in no hurry.  Now that I don't need a CLEO sign off () any longer the pressure is off.  I have until December 29 to make up my mind.

Maybe the Dead Air for June.  And that's Another story
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 7:12:28 PM EDT
[#34]
I love my element 2.  I'd like to get a mask too.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 9:41:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I also plan to buy Another Suppressor, Suppressor No.5,  Number Stamp No. 7 come June.  By that time I hope Suppressors will be OFF the NFA List.

At This Moment I'm leaning towards monocore but I haven't decided.  Currently I'm thinking the GM-22 or one of the Coastal jobs.  I'm in no hurry.  Now that I don't need a CLEO sign off (http://ar15armory.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/yesss.gif) any longer the pressure is off.  I have until December 29 to make up my mind.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I also plan to buy Another Suppressor, Suppressor No.5,  Number Stamp No. 7 come June.  By that time I hope Suppressors will be OFF the NFA List.

At This Moment I'm leaning towards monocore but I haven't decided.  Currently I'm thinking the GM-22 or one of the Coastal jobs.  I'm in no hurry.  Now that I don't need a CLEO sign off (http://ar15armory.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/yesss.gif) any longer the pressure is off.  I have until December 29 to make up my mind.

The Coastal cans are not even close to the Element 2 or the GM-22.  I don't have a Coastal 22 can but used to have an UZI and a MAC can.  They were inexpensive and functional, but there are better options.  My old AAC Pilot was converted by Gemtech with their IOU program using basically the GM-22 core.  The tube is a bit longer so the blast chamber is a little bigger.  It has a touch more FRP than the GM-22 from what Dr. Dater says but the performance is good.  My Element 2 is quieter and easier to clean (stainless baffles) but more expensive.  The GM-22 is a solid can but the Element 2 is a better "all around" can.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 10:27:59 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Why a monocore? Most monocores have noticeable first round pop on pistols with the exception of some of the recent monocore designs that have greatly reduced it.

Of the cans on your list - Element 2. Hands down.

Link Posted: 11/30/2016 10:44:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Of the cans on your list - Element 2. Hands down.
View Quote

Agreed, the Element 2 is a great suppressor.  Other options to consider are the Mask or the TBAC 22 Take Down.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 11:12:25 PM EDT
[#38]
 I've been reading and considering.

I've also been studying what the companies says, Youtube videos and Others locations.

Like I said: No hurry.

So far I am NOT getting the Ruger or MPA suppressors.

AAC, Gem-Tech, with some money off one of the Coastal's are still in the running.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 2:57:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Like my Sparrow.
View Quote

Ditto
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 7:11:40 PM EDT
[#40]
I have a new contestant:

AAC Aviator 2, Discounted.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 7:29:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

The Coastal cans are not even close to the Element 2 or the GM-22.  I don't have a Coastal 22 can but used to have an UZI and a MAC can.  They were inexpensive and functional, but there are better options.  My old AAC Pilot was converted by Gemtech with their IOU program using basically the GM-22 core.  The tube is a bit longer so the blast chamber is a little bigger.  It has a touch more FRP than the GM-22 from what Dr. Dater says but the performance is good.  My Element 2 is quieter and easier to clean (stainless baffles) but more expensive.  The GM-22 is a solid can but the Element 2 is a better "all around" can.
View Quote

Not to hijack the thread, but I'm interested in another 22 can also. If I could find one locally, I'd go with the Dead Air mask. The only rimfire can I have is a 2006 vintage AAC Pilot. How do you like the Gemtech IOU upgrade? Is it worth doing or just getting another can and keeping the sealed can on a seldom used 22 bolt gun?
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 9:12:00 PM EDT
[#42]
For whatever unexplainable (by me) reason, the GM-22 does not have FRP when it is on a 16" rifle. In fact, either SS or Dead Air has a test video with different contenders, including a Spectre II and Mask and the GM-22 was quietest or second quietest on a rifle.

(Fwiw, I can't hear a difference between the Mask and Spectre II,  but if buying now would get the Mask, it is shorter and a bit lighter I think. And the GM-22 is right there too, but with FRP on pistols.)

I have a GM-22 and a Spectre II, and I can tell that the GM-22 has not FRP on either 16" rifle I have, but it does on my pistols. The Spectre Ii every so often will have minor FRP on a pistol.

I bet the IOU Pilot ends up with the same characteristics of the GM-22, which makes it a great suppressor on a rifle and a very good one on a pistol but with some FRP.

JPK
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 10:31:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Everyone mentions that the Mask is shorter but no one mentions its fatter. This can cause problems with certain kydex or injection molded holsters like the TACSOL if using a MK. I'm not saying it's a big issue. Just something to be aware of. Also I can't personally tell the difference in sound between a Mask and a Spectre. They are both outstanding. I do think the Mask is a better looking can but that's subjective.

OP, of the choices you posted. Element 2 hands down. I would pick up a stout can like a Mask or Spectre later if you can. It's nice it have a nice light can for pistols and a beast mode can too.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 11:40:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Everyone mentions that the Mask is shorter but no one mentions its fatter. This can cause problems with certain kydex or injection molded holsters like the TACSOL if using a MK. I'm not saying it's a big issue. Just something to be aware of. Also I can't personally tell the difference in sound between a Mask and a Spectre. They are both outstanding. I do think the Mask is a better looking can but that's subjective.

OP, of the choices you posted. Element 2 hands down. I would pick up a stout can like a Mask or Spectre later if you can. It's nice it have a nice light can for pistols and a beast mode can too.
View Quote

According to Cole-Tac, whose site I happened to be on, the Mask is 5" long and 1.070" diameter. The Spectre II is 6" long and 1" diameter. Is .070" really even noticeable, and does it really make an issue with holsters, or maybe just the TACSOL?

JPK
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 11:57:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

According to Cole-Tac, whose site I happened to be on, the Mask is 5" long and 1.070" diameter. The Spectre II is 6" long and 1" diameter. Is .070" really even noticeable, and does it really make an issue with holsters, or maybe just the TACSOL?

JPK
View Quote

According to the DA site, 1.07" is right. According to the SiCo site, the Sparrow(I have a sparrow) is 1.06". The Sparrow will not fit my tacsol holster.  I imagine this would be the case for any rigid holster designed around the profile of a Pacite/2245 Lite. Obviously if it's a custom kydex holster made for a slightly larger can or a soft holster, it's a non issue. Like I said, Not a big deal but just something to be aware of.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 6:34:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Been using the AAC Element II for about a year on my Ruger SR22. So much fun.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 6:54:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
Width isn't a problem.
When I have the P-22 in its holster it won't be wearing the suppressor.
As long as I can see the target without being blocked I'll be fine.

Of course I have practice allowing for not being able to see Exactly what I'm shooting at with my Glock 17 when I suppress it.  Being able to see the unblocked Target and shoot Suppressed! Yayha!
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 1:13:57 AM EDT
[#48]
Dead Air Mask
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 2:41:06 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Dead Air Mask
View Quote

This.  I have SilencerCo's Sparrow, Spectre II, and Warlock.  The Dead Air is my go to 22 suppressor
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 8:08:39 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Dead Air Mask
View Quote
I have to go with what's in stock.  Otherwise the can will be jail until NEXT Christmas.

Unless something Nice happens courtesy of President Trump
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top