User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 8:42:13 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'll be sure to take extra care when I mount the flash hider on my Noveske SS 11.5.
View Quote

A flash hider is easy since you aren't timing it - just tighten to torque spec and call it a day.

With a brake, you might be tempted to crank on the muzzle device in order to get the ports in the right direction instead of taking the time to find the right combination of shims.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 9:20:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

You are right there as well, and that is usually a problem in softer materials like aluminum.  I've spent some long nights on the shop floor helping do some risk assessment for products built incorrectly or that exact reason.

I'm sure Noveske has some pretty capable folks on staff, so looking forward to their report.
View Quote

As am I.  Aside from the rarity of the failure it just *looks* weird.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 10:35:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I see this a lot on o2 sensors on cars. A slight thread issue mixed with heat and time and this is what happens on the pull out.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 3:45:38 AM EDT
[#4]
well the torque was too much, 40 lbs would really be cranking it...   I have gone as low as 10 lbs on precision setups and just used a healthy dose of fresh Rocksett, not the hardened tube of crap that comes with the mounts.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 3:46:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Have seen this only when someone over torques the muzzle device during installation of it.  Those mounts are harder steel than the threads, once over tightnened the threads are whats gonna give way.

Plus the thread looks intact where the thread relief is on the mount, further making me think this is what might of happened.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/2/2016 10:22:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
well the torque was too much, 40 lbs would really be cranking it...   I have gone as low as 10 lbs on precision setups and just used a healthy dose of fresh Rocksett, not the hardened tube of crap that comes with the mounts.
View Quote

It may be high in terms of typical muzzle device installation which often use a crush washer or other means to establish the right thread loads, but shouldn't be anywhere near the yield strength of fine threads on a stainless steel barrel.  If it was a standard screw of the same thread pitch and material it would actually be right in line with a typical torque spec.   Threads need a certain amount of stress to actually "lock."  Too low and they will loosen with out the aid of something like rock-set or other thread lock, and too high and they will yield and fail.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 10:36:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Torque specs for 5.56 mounts in 1/2-28 are 20-30 ft/lbs.
Torque specs for 7.62 mounts in 5/8-24 are 45-55 ft/lbs.

Link Posted: 12/2/2016 1:09:12 PM EDT
[#8]
OP stated several times that he followed whatever directions were with the muzzle device
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 1:25:10 PM EDT
[#9]
How in the fuckballs do you rip threads off?  I have never seen that before.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 5:35:37 PM EDT
[#10]
I understand that different threads need more torque, but I wouldn't tighten anything on a ~.30 or small muzzle to 45-55 ft lbs.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 9:17:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Barrel will be there on Monday.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 9:26:13 PM EDT
[#12]
No Way.

Looks like a pinned/welded flash hider was wrenched off and the weld ripped the treads out. I have seen this happen in person before with a DD flash hider that the person did not know was welded.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 10:16:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Hey OP, want a new shooting partner? With this and what happened to my cans...I'm sure we could win the powerball on Wednesday
View Quote

lolol
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 12:08:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
No Way.

Looks like a pinned/welded flash hider was wrenched off and the weld ripped the treads out. I have seen this happen in person before with a DD flash hider that the person did not know was welded.
View Quote

Definitely not pinned or welded. What would be the point with an 11.5" barrel anyways?
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 10:07:54 PM EDT
[#15]
No word on their thoughts...just an email stating a new barrel is on the way.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 10:59:57 PM EDT
[#16]
That could be taken as an admission the threads were too thin, or it could be taken as superior customer service....

Hmmm... Maybe both.

JPK
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 11:23:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
That could be taken as an admission the threads were too thin, or it could be taken as superior customer service....

Hmmm... Maybe both.

JPK
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 1:26:24 AM EDT
[#18]
I'll take it as both. Not sure how it happened but it was an excellent and accurate barrel up to this. Noveske has always done the customer right and I see that continues even after Johns passing.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 4:24:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Anyone have issues with short lightweight barrels and major POI shifts between suppressed and unsuppressed? I might replace it with a lighter barrel while I have it apart anyways.
View Quote

any time you change harmonics by adding weight etc youl most likely get a poi shift.  a stiffer/heavier barrel will minimize some of that.  this is just my experience
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 4:29:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Hey OP, want a new shooting partner? With this and what happened to my cans...I'm sure we could win the powerball on Wednesday
View Quote

artimus that was probably the best worst accident ever.  you got a new core for your specwar and you have probably one of the only spectre 2 k's in the world lol
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 2:42:29 PM EDT
[#21]
I recently sheared a barrel index pin trying to remove something that was installed with rocksett. Never again!
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 3:38:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Hmmm... Maybe both.

JPK
View Quote

Or they just figured the cost of doing a root cause analysis for an issue  they probably don't see all that often - including personnel hours and whatever testing costs associated would far exceed the cost of a new barrel. That and it would make for better PR too.

Congrats on your new barrel, OP!

Link Posted: 12/6/2016 4:49:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I recently sheared a barrel index pin trying to remove something that was installed with rocksett. Never again!
View Quote

Did you do the install? Just curious how much Rocksett was used? To what lbs was the device torqued? Did you soak in water prior to attempted removal?

I've got three devices installed with two drops of Rocksett each. Just want to know what I'm in for if I ever need to remove.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 5:53:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Did you do the install? Just curious how much Rocksett was used? To what lbs was the device torqued? Did you soak in water prior to attempted removal?

I've got three devices installed with two drops of Rocksett each. Just want to know what I'm in for if I ever need to remove.
View Quote

I removed the muzzle device from my KAC SR-15 upper (because after paying for the upper I can't afford KAC cans!) and while I really cranked on it (using the KAC reaction rod/cattle bludgeon) without result when dry, after soaking overnight in water it gave up with a sharp crack with less than a quarter as much force as I was applying the day before.

No idea how much was on there, but night and day difference in removal effort.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 6:13:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 6:26:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Did you do the install? Yes. Just curious how much Rocksett was used? 3-4 as recommended by AAC on the instructions. To what lbs was the device torqued? It's been a while...but again installed as per the instructions so 20-30...I usually split the difference so likely 25 ft/lbs.  Did you soak in water prior to attempted removal? Water and after it wouldn't budge PB Blaster behind the brake with the upper pointed muzzle down...reapplying every couple hours until it finally broke free.

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/6/2016 6:28:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Barrel pin was perfectly straight and intact when I removed the muzzle device.  Like I said...not sure how it happened but you would think looking at the pictures that you'd shear an index pin before you could do that to threads.....
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 6:31:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

That would be my guess--- Good customer service, and easier faster for them to just replace it rather than deal with any weird research into why or all that.  But you're on a post saying "They are taking care of me" rather than "Screw these guys, they won't replace my barrel."  That in itself is worth some money in advertising!
View Quote

You're right...and I would have been pissed if AAC or Noveske didn't help out.  As it turns out, both are.  AAC is replacing the brake and Noveske is replacing the barrel.  No complaints from me...  I hope to have the rifle back together by next weekend in order to go shoot some coyotes....
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 6:46:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I removed the muzzle device from my KAC SR-15 upper (because after paying for the upper I can't afford KAC cans!) and while I really cranked on it (using the KAC reaction rod/cattle bludgeon) without result when dry, after soaking overnight in water it gave up with a sharp crack with less than a quarter as much force as I was applying the day before.

No idea how much was on there, but night and day difference in removal effort.
View Quote

Good to know the water seemed to have a significant effect. Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 10:11:06 PM EDT
[#30]
So I take back what I said about Noveske. I'm sorely disappointed and will not be buying their shit again. Gas block hole was under drilled or the pin they sent is over sized. It went half way in and now won't come out or go in. Bent 3 pin punches trying to get the pin back out. I'll drill it later tonight but their QC seems to be lacking if in fact the threads were shit...and now this issue.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 10:19:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
So I take back what I said about Noveske. I'm sorely disappointed and will not be buying their shit again. Gas block hole was under drilled or the pin they sent is over sized. It went half way in and now won't come out or go in. Bent 3 pin punches trying to get the pin back out. I'll drill it later tonight but their QC seems to be lacking if in fact the threads were shit...and now this issue.
View Quote

Interesting
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 10:23:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Interesting
View Quote

New pin does not measure the same as the old gas block pin off of the barrel with the jacked threads. For $300+ I'd expect better quality that faxon or any of the other budget barrels out there that function just as well for half the cost.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 11:13:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

artimus that was probably the best worst accident ever.  you got a new core for your specwar and you have probably one of the only spectre 2 k's in the world lol
View Quote

The CS force is stong with Silencerco. (My 2 new cans are awesome by the way ). Great customer service/support and quality control definitely needs to go hand in hand. Sucks that the OP got a reach-a-round but didn't get to finish . I would call them and see if they can fix the new issue.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 11:31:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Drilled the pin (not easy...they're hard) and reinstalled the old pin from the last gas block. Frustrated I wasted 3 hours doing what should have taken 3 minutes. I'm ready for this ordeal to be over. Lots of work and waiting to swap a brake for a flash hider...
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 6:43:39 AM EDT
[#35]
Rocksett is as aggressive as fingernail polish. I can never tell other than visually, when removing a muzzle device, if it was even applied. This looks like it was over torqued and the thread to muzzle device interface was lacking, and the result is obvious. Barrels are only about 28-32RC for the harder stainless ones.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 11:59:24 AM EDT
[#36]
Being stainless probably has something to do with it, but unless my torque wrench is way off then it was torqued to spec.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 12:43:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Have an AK that did the same that had a barrel nut. Once it broke loose it slode right off. This pic looks like there are threads but its almost smooth.

Link Posted: 12/9/2016 1:05:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 3:16:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top