Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/25/2016 2:33:29 AM EDT
I'm looking for a modular suppressor that way I can have the ability of solid suppression with the longer model and easy maneuverability and  weight of a K model.

Any recommendations for modular suppressors or good suppression in a smaller suppressor?

Just going to be used on 9mm and under. Been looking/waiting for the SF Ryder 9 Modular...but haven't seen/heard anything in months
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 6:52:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Rugged Obsidian. It's a 45 can but does very well on 9mm, plus you can get a 9mm end cap if you want. Personally, I run it full sized on my 45 (Kimber 1911) and in the K configuration on my 9mm guns (M&Pc and 9mm AR).
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 9:54:36 AM EDT
[#2]
A 45ACP is going to be your best bet, Obsidian would work but if it were me I'd go with a Dead Air Ghost.  

The Modular Ryder is vaporwear.   Even if Surefire releases it I would strongly recommend passing on it, they don't support the current Ryder like they promised (no three lug attachment, difficulty getting pistons) leaving a lot of owners, myself included, pissed. Pistol cans are a back burner item for Surefire.
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 10:56:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah I've been seeing a lot of negative comments with the SF cans. Seems to have a lot of potential but if everything people are saying is true then a may shy away from them.

Obsidian, Dead air ghost M and tirant 45 M seem to be my choices. Any other ones I missed? I will look into them and see which works best for me.

Ability for me to break down and clean is something I would like, see over my current sights so thin diameter, and best suppression for the 9mm caliber
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 12:24:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ability for me to break down and clean is something I would like, see over my current sights so thin diameter, and best suppression for the 9mm caliber
View Quote

Consider the Griffin Optimus as well -- it's a 9mm can that can also be used for rifle calibers. It's definitely a jack of all trades and master at none, but it really can do just about anything short if big bore calibers -- rimfire, pistol up to 9mm, 300blk sub and super, 3-lug mount, and rifle calibers up through 300 win mag. It was my first can and I still use it to supplement my more purpose-built cans.

Gives up a little on weight (an ounce or two) vs some of the pistol can options you are considering, but it's pistol diameter (1.37) and short (6.6" in pistol or 3-lug form).
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 12:52:00 PM EDT
[#5]

I ran an Optimus on my G17 and my 9mm AR for the first time last week and was pleasantly surprized how well it suppressed 115gr.

Cant wait to get the adaptor for my 5.56 SBR and run the Optimus on it!

Link Posted: 11/25/2016 5:03:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Most of the brands named here are good, but I ended up picking the Ghost.  That's because I planned to run it exclusively in the K config. If you plan on using the full side config the Obsidian may be a better choice. The entire baffle stack is stainless steel, including the removable portion, so if you shoot the full size config enough that part will be easier to clean. The removable module for the Ghost is all aluminum; baffles and tube.
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 11:07:10 PM EDT
[#7]
The Griffin 9mm revolution sounds great and is modular.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 10:16:17 PM EDT
[#8]
The rev 9 is starting to look more and more like the best option. And I keep going back to the omega 9k.

Just wish surefire would release info on the Ryder 9 modular
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 6:11:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Have been very pleased with my Revolution 9.
It works great on pistols, has the option of a near-flush tri-lug, and can use Harvester DT mounts for a flush, fixed-barrel mount.
The Revolution 45 can do all that and handle the larger bore diameter as well.

-Lee
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 1:18:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The Modular Ryder is vaporwear.   Even if Surefire releases it I would strongly recommend passing on it, they don't support the current Ryder like they promised (no three lug attachment, difficulty getting pistons) leaving a lot of owners, myself included, pissed. Pistol cans are a back burner item for Surefire.
View Quote

Came here to say this, another Ryder owner ... 0 support, hoping they make a fixed mount...I know they won't .

I plan on getting a Griffin armament revolution 9 next. K and full size, FA, good numbers, tons of support, Cheaper than SF.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 8:28:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Griffin's written warranty is doo doo (compared to some industry leaders) so keep that in mind if it's something that you care about. I can't recall anyone having an issue with their CS, but their warranty certainly doesn't stand up to industry IMO (sico, rugged, dead air)
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 10:43:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 12:08:56 PM EDT
[#13]
@AAC - sorry I didn't include you in that list, but it's because you have a similar warranty as Girffin. As an owner of 2 AAC cans, I dread the day of a baffle strike, as the answer will be that I need to pay for it.
AAC:
LIMITATIONS This warranty does not cover damage to the silencer and/or host firearm resulting in whole or in part from criminal, abusive or negligent use, improper or careless handling, unauthorized modifications, defective, improper handloaded or reloaded ammunition, or neglect. Any repairs to the unit made necessary by these factors will be invoiced to the owner. Further, baffle strikes which are not due to a defect in workmanship are not covered by this warranty. Centerfire rifle caliber silencers are not warrantied for use on barrels less than 10” in length on most "intermediate" cartridges with the exceptions: the 762-SDN-6 and 762-SD silencer are warrantied on barrels as short as 7.5” in 300 AAC BLACKOUT. The SR7 is warrantied down to 6" on 300 AAC BLACKOUT barrels. For cartridges such as .308 Win, the minimum barrel length is 14.5" for all .308 silencers other than the Cyclone, which has a minimum of 16" on .308

Griffin:
PRODUCT LIFETIME LIMITED WARRANTY: Subject to the limitations outlined below, Griffin Armament will repair or replace free of charge any product we manufacture for the duration of this lifetime warranty. This warranty is unlimited in duration and covers at Griffin Armament’s sole discretion, service, repair, and/or replacement of damaged products caused by normal use. Any repair not covered by the warranty will be billed at a maximum of 30% of current MSRP for a comparable product, subject to BATFE transfer fees as required.

LIMITATIONS: Griffin Armament’s warranty does not cover loss, normal wear, damage to our product or the host weapon system resulting in whole or in part from abusive or negligent use, unauthorized modification, improperly threaded barrels, improperly mounted suppressors, improperly loaded or re-loaded ammunition, or neglect. Finish wear is cosmetic and is not covered by this warranty. Any repairs to the unit made necessary by the above mentioned factors may be invoiced to the owner at a maximum of 30% of current MSRP for the most comparable product. The individual barrel lengths and calibers warranted are listed in the manual you receive with your product, or on the product page [applicable only to the most current model of the respective product]. In all cases refer to the product manual for product limitations prior to using a Griffin Armament product. Warranty is subject to change without notice.

Silencerco:
We stand behind our products with a lifetime warranty, no matter what – even if it’s not a product defect. We answer every question asked and go above and beyond to serve our customers. Our 48 hour repair turnaround even warranties stupid…once..

Rugged:
Unconditional Lifetime Warranty.
With Rugged Suppressors’s strict quality control measures and use of premium materials, we can offer an Unconditional Lifetime Warranty.
If for any reason you have an issue with a Rugged Suppressors product, we will repair or replace it free of charge. Period. Even if you drop it from a mountain. That’s why it’s called an Unconditional Lifetime Warranty and that’s why there’s no small legal type needed.

See the differences? I do!
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 12:27:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 4:17:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the info on the Warranties. There is definitely a clear difference haha

But @AAC I understand. Got to keep the lawyers happy and everything within reason. I've actually heard of AAC replacing a users suppressor free of charge (they just had to pay for the form 4 and stamp) after dropping/losing it in a body of water? Something of the sort. Why it was there in the first place who knows...
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 6:14:34 PM EDT
[#16]
If you go with the Rev9 make sure it has the latest upgrades.  I have an early Rev9 that is nearly impossible to reconfigure.  Its been stuck in 3-lug K configuration for almost 9 months now.  Its just too much of a PITA to fight the 3-lug adapter out of the booster housing or impossible to get the booster housing out of the main tube.  If i had it to do over I would have spent the extra $30.00 and bought the Octane 9.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 8:47:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Thanks for the info on the Warranties. There is definitely a clear difference haha

But @AAC I understand. Got to keep the lawyers happy and everything within reason. I've actually heard of AAC replacing a users suppressor free of charge (they just had to pay for the form 4 and stamp) after dropping/losing it in a body of water? Something of the sort. Why it was there in the first place who knows...
View Quote

I believe the way I heard that urban legend was that it was a sico can that was launched into a lake and that sico covered everything - replacement AND stamp.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 12:25:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Just remember AAC is Remington.

OK, back to the OP, I got to shoot my TiR45M for the first time this past weekend.  I didn't even bother to try the long configuration, the K is good enough for me.  The host is a Springfield XDM 9 4.5" with factory threaded barrel and tall sights.  300 rounds 115, 124 and 147 loads not 1 hiccup.  

Link Posted: 11/30/2016 3:01:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If you go with the Rev9 make sure it has the latest upgrades.  I have an early Rev9 that is nearly impossible to reconfigure.  Its been stuck in 3-lug K configuration for almost 9 months now.  Its just too much of a PITA to fight the 3-lug adapter out of the booster housing or impossible to get the booster housing out of the main tube.  If i had it to do over I would have spent the extra $30.00 and bought the Octane 9.
View Quote

This man knows of what he speaks. The 1st gen rev 9 is a motherfucker to take apart to swap boosters. My ultra modular do anything 9mm can is now a 3 lug only one trick pony. Griffin will upgrade to the newer generation booster housing for $130, but I plan on spending that money with silencerco.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 10:04:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

This man knows of what he speaks. The 1st gen rev 9 is a motherfucker to take apart to swap boosters. My ultra modular do anything 9mm can is now a 3 lug only one trick pony. Griffin will upgrade to the newer generation booster housing for $130, but I plan on spending that money with silencerco.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I third that.... The booster is a pain.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 11:49:33 AM EDT
[#21]
I have been happy with the performance of my Rev45. It is a first gen so it can be a pain to reconfigure. Honestly though, I have never failed to get it apart with a pair of strap wrenches. I now apply some high-temp anti-seize to the threads of all the components and it is even easier. Do I wish it were easier...yes...is it impossible...nope. I would definitely purchase it again.

Oh, and as a side note, the excitement about modularity rubbed off after about a month for me. I just leave it in the K configuration all the time now.

Obligatory pic...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top