Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/22/2016 10:25:21 PM EDT
Been shooting my Sig P320 with my Osprey 9 suppressor for about a year now. Every time i shoot the thing i get hit in the face every shot by little particle feeling things. It makes it unpleasant to shoot. I recently acquired a CZ P-07 suppressor ready model and shot it today. Not only is it louder than the P320, the amount of crap hitting me in the face is even worse! I changed the o-ring on the osprey last week and I dont know what else to do.

Any suggestions as to solve this issue or is this completely normal?

Thanks
Kevin
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 10:40:11 PM EDT
[#1]
What ammo are you using? That can have a pretty big effect on blowback.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 10:51:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What ammo are you using? That can have a pretty big effect on blowback.
View Quote

Speer Lawman 147gr and Federal HST 147gr

And to be clear, it isnt gas or smoke thats hitting me, its little black hard particle things. They will be on my face after shooting.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 11:06:54 PM EDT
[#3]
unburnt powder blowing back thru the slide and into your face...
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 11:26:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Seems about right, any way to make this issues go away or maybe reduce the amount hitting me?
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 12:27:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Seems about right, any way to make this issues go away or maybe reduce the amount hitting me?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe try a different host? I know shooting my osprey dry I feel like I get more particle back in my face. But that's probably just me. My glock has horrible particle blowback. Its like having someone throw sand at my face. My FNX and 1911 are much much better. The 1911 had barely any that I could tell
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 1:37:13 AM EDT
[#6]
wrong platform, nevermind
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 1:46:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Maybe try Rugged pistons since they are not slotted and fit Silencerco cans. No first hand experience, just a thought. I know they are out of stock at most reputable dealers, I'm looking for some for my Obsidian with no luck.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 2:21:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Get the strongest recoil spring that will allow your host to function suppressed. Then it will be as quiet as that host can be with the least debris.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 2:52:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Maybe try Rugged pistons since they are not slotted and fit Silencerco cans. No first hand experience, just a thought. I know they are out of stock at most reputable dealers, I'm looking for some for my Obsidian with no luck.
View Quote

My Rugged piston will not work in my Osprey.  The Osprey needs those slots.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 11:08:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 1:12:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Suppressors increase time under pressure resulting in increased rearward slide velocity. I would suggest a host that has a side ejection port rather than the large opening dead center top. You get a similar issue of crap-in-the-face when shooting a suppressed Ruger Mini-14 vs an AR platform.

You also might consider handloading using a smaller weight of a faster burning powder. I'm sure the Speer manual has load data for WW231 for 147 gr pills.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Suppressors increase time under pressure resulting in increased rearward slide velocity. I would suggest a host that has a side ejection port rather than the large opening dead center top. You get a similar issue of crap-in-the-face when shooting a suppressed Ruger Mini-14 vs an AR platform.

You also might consider handloading using a smaller weight of a faster burning powder. I'm sure the Speer manual has load data for WW231 for 147 gr pills.

I'm assuming by side port vs top port ejection you are referring to a PCC. Because the only modern handgun I can think of with a side ejection is a hipoint.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 3:14:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Try Fiocchi 158.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 3:54:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Silencerco pistons have slots that allow debris to pass through. Because of this my octane is now dedicated to my cz scorpion with a three lug mount. I couldn't stand shooting it on handguns.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 1:29:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Try different ammo. I hate shooting Speer Lawman suppressed because I get pelted in the face. Try some Fiocchi. Night and day difference.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 6:58:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Try different ammo. I hate shooting Speer Lawman suppressed because I get pelted in the face. Try some Fiocchi. Night and day difference.
View Quote

im going to try this. thanks for the suggestion.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 9:32:55 PM EDT
[#16]
As far as ammo, I've had really good luck with Winchester Winclean 147gr TMJ.  Just was at the range this evening shooting a Sig P229 with an AAC Evo-9 and had no blowback at all.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:51:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Try a different type of ammo. Or roll your own.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 10:22:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Left handed shooting an AR15 I wear a huge mark of that crap on my face and probably inhale some too.

I'm going to start shooting right handed, I swear.. one day.. maybe..
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 10:52:10 AM EDT
[#19]
My Octane 9 does this also on my G19. Very annoying. I don't care if I get laughed at with my grinding shield on in the future.
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 7:35:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Finally got my hands on some Fiocchi 158gr. World of difference. No more getting hit in the face and its also quieter! Runs great in my suppressed CZ Scorpion as well.

Thanks for all the tips

Kevin
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top