Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2016 1:42:52 PM EDT
No Poll* or anything.
But I am curious if anyone here has actually gotten some skin melting burns from their cans ever. It seems like there are quite a few products that combat burns, but how big of a possibility is it?
I will accept
-Exposed skin
-Burned through clothes and touched skin i.e. AR15 on a sling
-Burned interior of vehicle and or burned up range bag
I want to hear some stories.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 1:47:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I haven't burned myself. Burned a lid of a plastic container once. Had a few friends melt their backpacks and rests before. That's about it.

You do have to be mindful of it if you've pumped some rounds through
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 1:49:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I've burned bags, rests covered in carpet on the range, sandbags, pant legs, but no real serious skin burns. I've never taken a class where there's movement and sling transitions to sidearms so burning legs has never been an issue

I did burn a pant leg during a static range session where I just basically let the rifle lay against my belly
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 1:54:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a burn on my leg from a 1966 A/C 427 sidepipe after a very spirited drive.

My skin just kind of slid off my leg and bubbled on the pipe.

It turned black..

And my leg went straight to bird degree burns.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 2:32:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 3:16:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 4:24:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yup.

Burned/melted everything, car seats, gun cases, hands, legs, benches, tables, range...

Best was seeing someone with years of experience (and knew better) look at a can and grabbed it with a full hand knowing it was hot. Skin came off and was burned into the can. "I don't know why I did that" he said.
View Quote

Buddy of mine did it last weekend.
We have been shooting together almost every weekend with cans and he just had a huge brain fart moment.
It's a mistake I would think most people only make once.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 4:47:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Started a small brush fire. Set the rifle down on bipod and can was touching the dry grass.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 6:11:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I was at a training gig with Surefire there was a simulated town and the course of fir was over 200 rds. A original MINI was left on a table and my boss asked to run the suppressor again. I walked up and snatched that can off the table not giving it a second thought. That SOB was so hot my brain froze and caused me to lift it above my head to throw it down. it took all the skin off my palm and left my palm/finger print in the soft Cerakote. It was kinda cool to see the skin all curled up on the can and smoking.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 7:00:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have a burn on my leg from a 1966 A/C 427 sidepipe after a very spirited drive.

My skin just kind of slid off my leg and bubbled on the pipe.

It turned black..

And my leg went straight to bird degree burns.
View Quote

I was on my dirt bike in a rutted up field and it tipped over putting the pipe on my ankle. Ruts were so big it took a bit to get it off. I got it off and waited for it to hurt. I thought I was in shock. Rode home, fast, and put it under cold water waiting for it to hurt. Never did. Went to doctor and he said I burned the nerve endings. Another second and I would have needed a skin graft. Still have the mark.

They make.....silver sulfate I think it is. Amazing stuff for burns. I think it's prescription only but if not it would be great to bring on suppressor days.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 7:47:11 PM EDT
[#10]
My wrist touched a hot iron years ago hidden behind a pile of cloths in my laundry room, didn't realize what was happening- it actually had a cold metal sensation before i realized what had happened- a puddle of flesh slid off my wrist- then i wrapped it up in gauze for 3 days and by that time iit started healing in the gauze with the skin- that was a painful process knowing what i had to do.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 8:13:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Burned when removing a can with a silicon pot holder. The pot holder slipped and my hand touched the can for HOT second .
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 9:43:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Holy shit, talk about cautionary tales!!

I just got my YHM Phantom out of jail a few weeks ago and haven't shot it yet, but I went ahead and got a Manta sleeve for it back in the spring. Goofy-looking, but if it prevents the kind of burns that have been posted here, I'll leave it on.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 1:20:58 AM EDT
[#13]
FSBs get pretty freaking hot too, I've leaned to stay away from that end after a few rounds.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 9:24:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Schadenfreude 101:

Don't put your tongue on the frozen flagpole.
Don't grab a suppressor after firing.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 9:34:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
FSBs get pretty freaking hot too, I've leaned to stay away from that end after a few rounds.
View Quote

Yup....  Back when I had an M16 (Frankfort RR) I was testing an 11.5" upper for a manufacturer friend that didn't have his SOT yet.  It was winter time and I just got done dumping three mags in a row.  Wanted to check out the flip up front sight (mounted to the gas block...) and grabbed it with my fingers.  The cuts on the side of the site were visible on my fingers for three days.....  Thankfully I had some snow to stick my hand in right away.  Lesson learned!

Other than a couple "HOLY CRAP THAT'S HOT!" moments with my cans I've never actually burned myself with them.  Guess I really can learn.

ETA - I will say one of the cooler things I've seen was again with said M16.  A couple of relatives and myself were dumping mags and my brother-in-law wanted to light his cigarette and forgot his lighter.  I don't smoke, but I just grabbed his cig and held it to the gas tube up by the fsb.  Lit right up.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 11:11:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Even rails
My geissele mk8 was getting toasty last weekend after a few mags
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 12:29:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I just got my YHM Phantom out of jail a few weeks ago and haven't shot it yet, but I went ahead and got a Manta sleeve for it back in the spring. Goofy-looking, but if it prevents the kind of burns that have been posted here, I'll leave it on.
View Quote

I bought the same, Tactical Fleshlight.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 2:17:51 PM EDT
[#18]
I wasn't paying attention to my friend while he was shooting my new suppressor since he's an active shooter and doesn't need to be babysat. It was both of ours first time shooting a suppressor and neither of us realized how hot a Titanium bodied can shooting .308 gets. He put the gun down on the moving blanket we were laying on when he finished shooting.
Took 4 hours of Acetone and a brass brush to get the moving blanket off the can, and even now when the can gets hot you can still see discoloration in the finish were the blanket once was
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 2:56:24 PM EDT
[#19]
ive melted all kinds of carpet and table covers at ranges. Melted a few socks and towels

Luckily no injuries
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 3:40:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:Best was seeing someone with years of experience (and knew better) look at a can and grabbed it with a full hand knowing it was hot. Skin came off and was burned into the can. "I don't know why I did that" he said.
View Quote

Strange how that happens.  My buddy and I had just finished quals with a 240, and we're getting off the line when he grabs the barrel with his bare hand.  I ask "ain't that hot?", he say "yes" and drops the barrel.  2nd deg burns.

In line with this thread, I've melted mechanics gloves into a can, the plastic is still on the can.  I've also rested a hot one against a truck bumper.  Plastic bumper,  That'ss till on the can too.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 4:50:08 PM EDT
[#21]
about 20 minutes after I let a friend do half ass (semi auto) mag dumps in my SBR, I grabbed my can to take it off for travel.
it was still hot enough to blister my fingers.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 4:54:06 PM EDT
[#22]
I got off of my Ducati 748 while wearing shorts once (last time) and put my knee into the exhaust pipe.  I have a scar to this day.

Nothing bad with a suppressor though as I seem to be more cautious with them.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 4:59:43 PM EDT
[#23]
had my 762 saker on my 308 rifle, shot prob 40 rounds and let it cool off.  well, i forgot those things get hot and while moving stuff around on the bench my left hand *wrist* just kissed the can.  had a blister within 10 mins    besides that, nothing yet.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 5:50:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ribbed for the pleasure of not burning off five layers of skin.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 6:28:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I wasn't paying attention to my friend while he was shooting my new suppressor since he's an active shooter and doesn't need to be babysat.
View Quote

If your friend is an active shooter he needs to be put down quickly to spare the innocents.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 8:44:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 10:11:01 PM EDT
[#27]
After running live fire lanes and having ran 3-4 mags through our M16A2's for suppressive fire we
immediately cleared weapons, exited the range and hopped in the back of a duece-ana-half.
A squad mate placed the buttstock between his feet and let the rifle lean back against his chest.
The flash hider landed on the right side of his neck and instantly seared a perfect imprint of the
flash hider.  NASTY burn. I bet he still has that scar 25 years later.

During Bradley gunnery one of our tracks came off the line after firing day stage.  When the vehicle
came to a stop the driver popped hatch and jumped out for a stretch and inexplicably layed his hand
on the 25mm barrel which proceeded to raise a one inch deep blister on the entire palm of his right hand.
A bunch of us watched him do it but it happened so fast no one could say a word.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 10:15:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 3:02:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Out of my own ignorance, how long should one wait before attempting to remove a can from your gun?  I have 2 cans in jail right now would honestly like some info on this.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 3:11:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Out of my own ignorance, how long should one wait before attempting to remove a can from your gun?  I have 2 cans in jail right now would honestly like some info on this.
View Quote

Get an Ove Glove. Makes handling hot cans easy.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 8:29:57 AM EDT
[#31]
The oven glove is a help, but then you still have to be careful where you put it.  
I watched a guy drop one on the foam of a deep Pelican case, and see the can sink right to  the bottom.

As far as how long to wait, you will quickly learn that it's entirely dependent on how many rounds, and how fast you fired.
But, it takes far fewer than you might expect to get the can too hot to hold, even with bolt guns.
A half dozen .308 rounds fired in under minute can be enough to keep your bare hands away.

For under $20.00, one of those inexpensive infrared thermometers has proved a very useful learning tool at the range.

Link Posted: 10/1/2016 9:25:13 AM EDT
[#32]
I melted a Mechanic glove to my brand new Saker762 after its first 30 Rds.  Yeah I was a rookie and learned from it.

Also had an AK front sight burn into my leg once. The burn marked look just like the sight. It was like this for months. That was 10 years ago. No scare now.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 6:41:33 PM EDT
[#33]
I burned my hand pretty good when the can started coming loose halfway through a stage at a subgun match.  I was shooting a MAC10/45, and they have a tendency to loosen anyway. I just reached up and gave it a hard twist. Ended up blistering the area between my thumb and forefinger, but no permanent scars.

A good can cover on an OEM MAC setup is a must!
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 10:14:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Only melted some range bench carpet once.  Gets pretty hot as people know.

Side note - got a different burn years ago and a Harley Lady gave me a recommendation.  I was burning badly and had no burn cream or anything so I said "what the hell"

I took some white paste colgate and smeared it on my burn.  Did a great job removing the pain.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 10:28:20 PM EDT
[#35]
I keep an infrared thermometer in my range kit just to make sure it is safe to handle and pack up before touching it. It only took two mags of rapid fire to get it up to 600 degrees.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 11:23:10 PM EDT
[#36]
This is why all my rifle suppressors have covers but one, and I am planning on getting a Griptastic for it.  Once my Recce 7 comes in, it gets a Griptastic too.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 7:53:47 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

For under $20.00, one of those inexpensive infrared thermometers has proved a very useful learning tool at the range.

View Quote
Absolutely. I always keep one in my range bag.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 9:21:00 PM EDT
[#38]
My first day with my first can a plastic grocery bag I use to hold a bottle of CLP blew onto my hot suppressor. Immediately became part of the can. A couple years and a couple thousand rounds later it's almost all gone except for "fossilized" remnants.  

Recently set down a hot can on the wood table at the range and the finish/stain melted and turned to liquid. Smelled pretty crazy too.

Melted a hole in my Caldwell shooting bag. Fixed it with duct tape but eventually had to throw it out when it opened and spilled 20 pounds of sand into my trunk.

Non suppressor related: 1) Put my palm and entire weight on a hot plate thinking it was a kitchen scale. 2) Grabbed a set of snow chains out of my buddies trunk and it was wrapped around a (mostly) dead car battery. Gave me a terrible grid shaped burn from my fingertips to my wrist.

Note: Silver sulfadiazine ointment is damn near magical with burns.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 12:34:49 AM EDT
[#39]
10.5" M4 (RR, company issued weapon). Ran 3 mags through it pretty rapid fire, with the last 15 rds being on auto.  Bolt Locked to the rear and I dropped it on the one point sling and transitioned to my handgun. About the time I let go of the rifle with my left hand I smelled burning hair and felt a searing pain on my left leg.  Freaking GemTech M4-96D was REALLY freaking hot when it hit my leg. I had a nice burn about a half inch wide and 4 inches long for 2 weeks.

Never wore shorts to a high volume of fire event after that.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 1:19:16 PM EDT
[#40]
First time we took dismounted contact in OEF, I let my M4 barrel lean against my left knee as I dicked with my radio.  After 2.5 magazines at fast semi, that motherfucker was hottttttt.  To this day kneeling on that side hurts.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 8:53:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Grabbed my YHM Phantom after two or three mags. Luckily I was wearing gloves because the can charred the leather of the palm and left a handprint on the can. Would have been a nasty burn if not for the gloves.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top